Conference Championship Weekend

chad72

Conference Championship Games  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which teams are you rooting for?

2. 2. Lions @ 49ers: Who wins?

3. 3. Chiefs @ Ravens: Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 08:30 PM

37 minutes ago, JoeyBlueSkies said:

Lions play hard. No apologies for legal hits.

As many former players have said on Twitter, the rules now necessitate DBs hitting guys low. Too many bad QBs throw hospital balls. Goff threw a hospital ball in his first game as a Lion and ended Tyrell William's career in San Francisco. Stafford has been throwing hospital balls since Georgia. Note, Calvin Johnson retired in his prime because his body was wrecked from playing with Stafford.

Tom Brady has talked about how QBs have to protect their pass catchers with where they throw.

I understand fans of teams that take these hits being mad. That doesn't change that the hit is legal and therefore not dirty.

If you don't want to get hurt, stay away from the middle of the field. Like when Steve Atwater and Ronnie Lott played the game.

While part of it is true, one can hit at or below chest level easily without going for the knees, even if the WR is in the air. Cops shoot at the torso of criminals because that is a big target. The torso, without launching or leading with the helmet, is still a big target. If you go lower, the hips and quads are still there as bigger targets. Going for the knees happens only when it is deliberate because the WR or TE is upright when those hits are made. We had a guy named Bob Sanders who went like a missile at the quads but never went for the knees. 

You can make an argument for hits to the head when the WR lowers his shoulder and a hit to the top of the chest all of a sudden becomes a hit to the head. But a hit to the hip or quads, the WR has to really jump up to offer his knee for it to be hit while in motion IF the target was the hip or quads. I get the argument that the DB is smaller than the TEs that are bigger nowadays but so are the safeties and CBs nowadays. Call it like it is. Kirby Joseph is dirty. It doesn't mean the other Lions are. His actions are dirty, even if you don't like me saying it.

Rodney Harrison took shots after the whistle too, so did so many safeties in the history of the NFL. That doesn't mean 2 wrongs make a right. Hospital balls can be defended with shots to the ribs and other areas of the torso. Go look up a textbook hit Earl Thomas once laid on Gronk. So I am not buying Kirby Joseph's nonsense in the situations where he deliberately injured Hockenson and Higbee, and you are NOT going to get me to agree to anything he said. He was just too wimpy to go at their hips or quads, that is the truth and acts tough by going at their knees. It is the same thing T J Ward did to Gronk to send him out during a season, same thing Bernard Pollard did to Tom Brady in game 1 of 2008 season (same thing the Steelers defender did to Carson Palmer in the playoffs, IMO), going for the knees when they knew they had other options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not a big Kerby fan. I don't like his game as a DB.

Nonetheless, a dirty play is what #97 on the Vikings did to Amon-Ra St. Brown. He is a 300+ lb DL who kneeled repeatedly and intentionally on the chest of the receiver when he was on the ground. Maybe trying to break a rib. ARSB had to take himself out of the game and kept clutching his side.

THAT is a dirty play.

I might be lonely in this, but part of the beauty of football is the risk and brutality. As long as the hit is legal, I am ok with it. And so are many of the players. Much of the complaints about the hits are from fans whose teams lost the game. Many of Kerby's defenders online are retired defensive players who have nothing to do with the Lions franchise.

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I want the Lions to win but there is one player on their team that I think is a dirty player, Kirby Joseph. He goes after players' knees and has been involved in head to head plays. He ended Tyler Higbee's season as well as that of TJ Hockenson by hitting them below the knees.

I agree with JJ here:

That sign has nothing to do with the opponents or even the Lions players. That sign is calling back to Dan Campbell's 1st press conference when he said (paraphrasing); this city and this team have been knocked down but we're going to get back up and on the way up we're going to bite a kneecap, then when we get knocked down again we're going to take the other kneecap, knock us down a third time and we're going to take a hunk out of them."

Absolutely nothing wrong with that sign imo. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

That sign has nothing to do with the opponents or even the Lions players. That sign is calling back to Dan Campbell's 1st press conference when he said (paraphrasing); this city and this team have been knocked down but we're going to get back up and on the way up we're going to bite a kneecap, then when we get knocked down again we're going to take the other kneecap, knock us down a third time and we're going to take a hunk out of them."

Absolutely nothing wrong with that sign imo. 

I hear that but given that two players on those two teams suffered knee injuries, it does not look good at all. Is it just a coincidence that the two teams that have "kneecaps" written by their logo are the two teams that lost players to knee injuries?

• Like 1

I wasn't given the script so I didn't make a prediction. 

But I would like the screenshot playing out of Reba singing and the Ravens vs 49ers. 

By kinda think that swiftly wouldn't be dating a loser that couldn't get to the Super Bowl. :thinking:

Either way its make believe anyway so it doesn't really matter. haha

I lost some respect for Mahomes after he acted like a diva in the loss to the Bills. Kadarius Toney lined up wrong and both Mahomes and Reid were fined for their reactions to the referees. The Chiefs had already made the playoffs, so it's not like the game was a must win. (Maybe for seeding, but the Chiefs acted like it was their right to be #1.) All the attention about Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce make it very easy to be against the Chiefs. So do Mahomes' wife and brother. 

Lions and Ravens for Super Bowl, and it would be great if the Lions won. 

12 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I lost some respect for Mahomes after he acted like a diva in the loss to the Bills. Kadarius Toney lined up wrong and both Mahomes and Reid were fined for their reactions to the referees. The Chiefs had already made the playoffs, so it's not like the game was a must win. (Maybe for seeding, but the Chiefs acted like it was their right to be #1.) All the attention about Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce make it very easy to be against the Chiefs. So do Mahomes' wife and brother. 

Lions and Ravens for Super Bowl, and it would be great if the Lions won. 

Nah...  Everyone loses their cool at some point or other. 

I remember that game and thinking I'd never seen him react like that.  I'm sure he regrets his actions.  

I know most outside of KC territory dislike him and the team.   I'm different...I enjoy watching him and his determination and passion for the game. He always gives 100% even when game appears out of reach. And he's the real deal and one of the best.  My guess is most of our fans would love the likes of someone of his talent on our team.

As far as the attention to Kelce and Swift...yeah it's a bit over the top, but so was the focus on Tom and Gisele.   That doesn't bother me.

It will be 2 great matchups Sunday setting up for a great SB whoever wins.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

Nah...  Everyone loses their cool at some point or other. 

I remember that game and thinking I'd never seen him react like that.  I'm sure he regrets his actions.  

I know most outside of KC territory dislike him and the team.   I'm different...I enjoy watching him and his determination and passion for the game. He always gives 100% even when game appears out of reach. And he's the real deal and one of the best.  My guess is most of our fans would love the likes of someone of his talent on our team.

As far as the attention to Kelce and Swift...yeah it's a bit over the top, but so was the focus on Tom and Gisele.   That doesn't bother me.

It will be 2 great matchups Sunday setting up for a great SB whoever wins.

I agree.  Go KC.   I have liked them since the Okoya, Word, Derrick Smith and Steve DeBerg days.   I like them much more than the Ravens.   

16 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I hear that but given that two players on those two teams suffered knee injuries, it does not look good at all. Is it just a coincidence that the two teams that have "kneecaps" written by their logo are the two teams that lost players to knee injuries?

Ahh... I see your point. I didn't put that together because I only heard Dan's press conference in my head when I read the sign. Good point that sign maybe isnt as tasteful as I thought it was. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:28 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do want to make one correction; I meant Richard Seymour not Willie McGinest was on the 2006 Patriots. Seymour was a key anchor on their D.line. Maybe I had McGinest on my mind after the 2003 and 2004 playoffs when he killed us lmao .

they had to change the injury rules because of him and belichick, pats always worked flaws in the rules

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 4:57 AM, NFLfan said:

I want the Lions to win but there is one player on their team that I think is a dirty player, Kirby Joseph. He goes after players' knees and has been involved in head to head plays. He ended Tyler Higbee's season as well as that of TJ Hockenson by hitting them below the knees.

I agree with JJ here:

:thinking:

I can see a coach getting his team fired up with great speeches to motivate his team and fans.

At least, he is up front with telling the media what he wants his team to do

with the “kneecap” and stuff… but IMO( first time I used “IMO” :facepalm:), it’s just STUPID if the coach keeps saying that.

What is even more stupid is a dirty player taking it to heart.

Does the coach remember the Saints bounty scandal?

His team is good enough to win without that type of motivation.

If that Kirby fella gives a nasty hit, well then, he should expect to RECEIVE the same.

IMG_3165.jpeg.0fdaf4e58424d08df946a2be3e09bf3e.jpeg

Hey Lions coach, remember those famous words from Forrest Gump? “Stupid is as stupid does.” Tell Kirby to 

avoid being tossed out of the game…he just might be the player to make the ”play”  to win the game.

The coach should only have to worry about the calls from the referees :headspin:not a scandal.:bossy:

Go, Forrest Gump!

As far as today's games...

I think they will be great match-ups and when I don't have a favorite still in the race  I tend to root for the underdog.  So I guess that would be the two on the road teams today. 

Go Chiefs and Lions!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, JoeyBlueSkies said:

I am not a big Kerby fan. I don't like his game as a DB.

Nonetheless, a dirty play is what #97 on the Vikings did to Amon-Ra St. Brown. He is a 300+ lb DL who kneeled repeatedly and intentionally on the chest of the receiver when he was on the ground. Maybe trying to break a rib. ARSB had to take himself out of the game and kept clutching his side.

THAT is a dirty play.

I might be lonely in this, but part of the beauty of football is the risk and brutality. As long as the hit is legal, I am ok with it. And so are many of the players. Much of the complaints about the hits are from fans whose teams lost the game. Many of Kerby's defenders online are retired defensive players who have nothing to do with the Lions franchise.

Do you have a video of that play? Harrison Phillips is not known as a dirty player. Kirby Joseph is developing a reputation for dirty plays. I forgot the name of that defensive back for the Bengals who was known for dirty plays. I think he must have had the beginning of CTE. He seemed out of control.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Do you have a video of that play? Harrison Phillips is not known as a dirty player. Kirby Joseph is developing a reputation for dirty plays. I forgot the name of that defensive back for the Bengals who was known for dirty plays. I think he must have had the beginning of CTE. He seemed out of control.

Burfict, he was a LB. 

• Like 2

I would like to see a ravens-lions Super Bowl. Not anything against the 49ers, I think they are a very good team and I would put all of my betting money on them winning today. I just would like to see it for Detroit fans. 

The ravens-chiefs game is an interesting game to me. I agree with @chad72 that it could be a double digit win, but if I were betting on games today, I would avoid it. Just because I cannot bring myself to think Lamar is going to beat Pat Mahomes. Should be a good game. 

I would love to see classic down to the wire games today. I really don’t care who wins, I just don’t want to watch bad football, and I don’t expect to today. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would think everyone would know that Campbell was being sarcastic when he said - biting off Kneecaps. That person holding that sign up was as well - just being funny about it. All Campbell meant is, his team was going to grind and work harder than any other team. 

Imagine if JT or Pittman sustain knee injuries resulting from hits by an opposing player and the following week, a fan of that team writes kneecaps by their name or the Colts name, would that not bother you?

Joseph is going to hurt someone held in high regard (Mahomes, McCaffrey, etc.). Maybe then, the NFL will take it seriously.