Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichen gets love from Troy Aikman MNF

Ever since Sirianni slagged the Colts over the Frank Reich firing, I have disliked Sirianni.  Before that, I was not much of a fan, as I disliked the Frank Reich play calling and Sirianni was his OC, so my dislike of the offensive play calling extended to the OC, even though on game day he was not the one calling the plays.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Ever since Sirianni slagged the Colts over the Frank Reich firing, I have disliked Sirianni.  Before that, I was not much of a fan, as I disliked the Frank Reich play calling and Sirianni was his OC, so my dislike of the offensive play calling extended to the OC, even though on game day he was not the one calling the plays.

THAT. That was the game where my disdain for Sirianni started. Impetulant little child. Always brings a smile to my face when the Eagles lose lol. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Same here, the way he acted at the end of that game was childish. They had a much better team than we had and won by whopping 1 point lmao . He met his match, when he met Mahomes in the SB though Amazon Chiefs Kingdom GIF by NFL On Prime Video- he wasn't laughing after the SB.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same here, the way he acted at the end of that game was childish. They had a much better team than we had and won by whopping 1 point lmao . He met his match, when he met Mahomes in the SB though Amazon Chiefs Kingdom GIF by NFL On Prime Video- he wasn't laughing after the SB.

he’s an interest case of big/unique personality having a different effect depending on how things are going… 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Aikman just discussed the woes of the Eagles offense and attributed some of it to "missing Shane Steichen." 

"There's an art to calling plays in this league, and we've seen what Steichen was able to do in Indianapolis this year." 

It's obvious they have felt his absence. Just like the Chiefs have missed Bieniemy this year. 

Sirianni is starting to give me Reich vibes.  He can be a great coach when surrounded by good coordinators, but when it’s on him it’s not the same.

I quickly realized we had a good coach when I saw the eagles was not the same without him.  People dont realize how impressive Steichen is, as a ROOKIE HC.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Sirianni is starting to give me Reich vibes.  He can be a great coach when surrounded by good coordinators, but when it’s on him it’s not the same.

I quickly realized we had a good coach when I saw the eagles was not the same without him.  People dont realize how impressive Steichen is, as a ROOKIE HC.  

To quote Ballard on praising players, "Let's not crown him yet." 

I feel good about Steichen. I think he had a pretty dang good year considering the qb circumstances. I think he is a clear upgrade to Frank Reich. I like how intense he is and his accountability philosophy. I think he has a very high ceiling as a head coach in Indianapolis. I hope that he learns from the mistakes he made this year and continues to grow as a coach. Just like I hope Ballard has learned from his mistakes managing. If we can have three things happen: A GM that grows with roster management, a head coach that grows in preparation, play-calling and game management, and a QB that grows as a passer/playmaker, I think we will see this team get back to being a damn good team, year-after-year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nick was curiously quiet after Carolina fired Reich this year, before he had even completed 1 season  with them. 

We gave Frank 4 years and every opportunity, (albeit with a different starting QB in each) but the same thing got him fired in both places: his unimaginative playcalling, and he lost the locker room in both cities and it was evident with the effort & results shown on the field.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2024 at 10:54 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

Aikman just discussed the woes of the Eagles offense and attributed some of it to "missing Shane Steichen." 

"There's an art to calling plays in this league, and we've seen what Steichen was able to do in Indianapolis this year." 

It's obvious they have felt his absence. Just like the Chiefs have missed Bieniemy this year. 

Just to piggyback Colin Cowherd talked about Shane this morning and gave him kudos also. Citing the fact that Philly clearly missed his playcalling and that Steichen was a excellent coach.

10 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Nick was curiously quiet after Carolina fired Reich this year, before he had even completed 1 season  with them. 

We gave Frank 4 years and every opportunity, (albeit with a different starting QB in each) but the same thing got him fired in both places: his unimaginative playcalling, and he lost the locker room in both cities and it was evident with the effort & results shown on the field.

I’ve read nothing that says Frank lost the locker room in Indy.   I think that sentiment is the view of those who didn’t like Reich.  

On 1/16/2024 at 3:31 PM, Lancer1 said:

I noticed a lot of people bashed the Colts for moving on from Reich, but I think what happened with the Panthers proved it was the right move. The NFL Network guys on XM went nuts about Irsay last year, but I think those of us who watched every play of the Colts through the years knew it was time.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve read nothing that says Frank lost the locker room in Indy.   I think that sentiment is the view of those who didn’t like Reich.  

Let's see...Frank lost 2 HC jobs in less than a year. Is that a record? 

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Let's see...Frank lost 2 HC jobs in less than a year. Is that a record? 

I don’t know, and I don’t care.   But it’s not hard to notice you didn’t offer any link of a story saying Frank lost the Colts locker room.   You just gave a snarky answer.  

10 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I noticed a lot of people bashed the Colts for moving on from Reich, but I think what happened with the Panthers proved it was the right move. The NFL Network guys on XM went nuts about Irsay last year, but I think those of us who watched every play of the Colts through the years knew it was time.

As a Frank supporter, it was clear he was going to get fired at some point.   My only objection was the timing, after a disastrous game vs NE. 

That whole week leading up, there were about a half dozen posters who predicted the Colts were going to get crushed.  That Belichick had spent 40 years making the lives of young QBs like Sam a living Hell.  It wasn’t hard to see that coming.  So I thought Frank should’ve been fired sometime later in the season. 

At his introductory press conference in Carolina Frank said he wasn’t the least bit surprised that he got fired.  That during that week Ballard and Irsay told him to start Sam, so it wasn’t his decision.  Frank told the Carolina media “when they take away your ability to decide who to start (he wanted Ryan) then the next step is….  You’re fired.”

I think firing Frank when they did, and the outcome was easily predictable, was a bad look for the Colts franchise.  

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know, and I don’t care.   But it’s not hard to notice you didn’t offer any link of a story saying Frank lost the Colts locker room.   You just gave a snarky answer.  

First, have you ever offered a link?....to anything??? Secondly, my question was , is losing two coaching jobs in less than 12 months a record?

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

First, have you ever offered a link?....to anything??? Secondly, my question was , is losing two coaching jobs in less than 12 months a record?

Yes, I used to offer links all the time.  My desk top died and for now, I only post by phone and don’t know how to link.  

To your second comment, I answered it.  I don’t know and I don’t care.   The Carolina situation is not reflective of his years with the Colts,  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think firing Frank when they did, and the outcome was easily predictable, was a bad look for the Colts franchise.  

I personally think how it was followed up was a worse look, especially on Irsay. Specifically, with the reports that came out that Ballard objected to bringing Saturday in. Irsay had his mind made up... 

Regardless of that, I'm not sure Frank's firing was a bad look considering they recognized (and by they, I mean Irsay, and by recognize, I mean way too late) that the organization was clearly heading in the wrong direction with him. And I think the moves made in the offseason and subsequent success, even with major injuries and suspensions across the board, proved it was the right decision. 

24 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I personally think how it was followed up was a worse look, especially on Irsay. Specifically, with the reports that came out that Ballard objected to bringing Saturday in. Irsay had his mind made up... 

Regardless of that, I'm not sure Frank's firing was a bad look considering they recognized (and by they, I mean Irsay, and by recognize, I mean way too late) that the organization was clearly heading in the wrong direction with him. And I think the moves made in the offseason and subsequent success, even with major injuries and suspensions across the board, proved it was the right decision. 

If you’re saying Steichen is a better HC than Frank I completely agree.   And I’ve been saying that for some time.   

But if you’re blaming the 8 suspensions this year on Frank last year then you lost me.  Or did I misunderstand your meaning? 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I liked Frank, both in San Diego & in Indy but his coaching gets stale real quickly - as the Chargers' OC, he was fired in early January of 2016 after the Bolts ranked 31st in rushing (despite drafting RB Ryan Mathews in the 1st round) and the entire offense was listless. He was hired as Philly's OC later in the month.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Made to look all the better with the improvement of the team's performance under Shane, and the fact that Carolina also fired him mid-season, after he had taken over playcalling with negative effects. Frank the offensive playcaller keeps getting Frank the Head Coach fired, and I believe that had he turned over those duties last year, he at least lasts the season and if the new playcaller was effective enough to win a few more games, he possibly even starts this season as our Coach.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you’re saying Steichen is a better HC than Frank I completely agree.   And I’ve been saying that for some time.   

But if you’re blaming the 8 suspensions this year on Frank last year then you lost me.  Or did I misunderstand your meaning? 

I think you misunderstood. 

I simply referred to suspensions and injuries for the fact that the team still had better success in the midst of them than they did last season. So the firing, subsequent hiring of Steichen and the moves made put the team in a better direction than they were in with Frank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1