Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Again only freakish QBs could’ve done that without going into a full mechanical throw. He was being pursued and running. His release isn’t fast enough to get that ball out with accuracy before getting clobbered.

I’ll give him grief on some things but asking him to do that ain’t one of them. He’s a backup and for a reason.

I think Minshew could have simply hitched up and made this throw. He's fleeing the pocket because that's what he does when he senses pressure, but there's room in the pocket, and more than enough time for him to plant and throw. But that requires anticipation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't like the long FG, but it's hard for me to be too upset about it when the kicker had plenty of leg and just barely missed. 

However, on the flip side, Demeco Ryans had a similar situation, punted, and they pinned us at the 1 yard line. We could have used a favorable sequence like that...

I didn't mind it because, our offense was not doing well and points were gonna be hard to come by, you combine that with your at home, Gay is actually good at long fgs, it was within his pregame range and made a 52 yarder already. You have to try and take the points. I hate doing the if game but if he makes it on the last drive we need a fg not a TD, but of course who knows how it would of effective the rest of the game.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's true that this isn't a play that most QBs can make. My bigger problem is that Minshew isn't even aware of the possibility that this play can be made, because he appears to be complete oblivious to the fact that Pierce is coming open. He's totally consumed by the pass rush, he panics, and the play is over.

I'd probably be less disappointed in plays like that if Minshew at least appeared to see the blown coverage and acted like he might be trying to make the play. But over and over we've seen plays just like this -- including plays that wouldn't require a freak athlete at QB -- and Minshew doesn't recognize them. Then people come online and talk about how Pierce doesn't get any separation...

I have been right there saying this all year. Gm just isn’t that good of a qb and that’s why he is a back up qb. I believe he was signed to help Richardson learn the system and that’s it. Unfortunately, he had to take over almost the entire year. I have seen 2nd and 3rd  qb’s on other teams with more talent than him. The colts can’t afford to keep him when the starting qb hasn’t proven he can stay healthy. They have to get one that can throw the ball down field. I don’t think the colts offense needs as much as a lot of people here think, just a good qb that can make all the throws. I have been saying the colts have to get some better lb’s, almost every one of the run stops for little gain or loss ar by the defensive line. They don’t make impact passing or running stops. I do like speed though. Maybe Harrison could be a 3rd lb for pass coverage because I hate only playing 2 lb’s.

1 minute ago, husker61 said:

I have been right there saying this all year. Gm just isn’t that good of a qb and that’s why he is a back up qb. I believe he was signed to help Richardson learn the system and that’s it. Unfortunately, he had to take over almost the entire year. I have seen 2nd and 3rd  qb’s on other teams with more talent than him. The colts can’t afford to keep him when the starting qb hasn’t proven he can stay healthy. They have to get one that can throw the ball down field. I don’t think the colts offense needs as much as a lot of people here think, just a good qb that can make all the throws. I have been saying the colts have to get some better lb’s, almost every one of the run stops for little gain or loss ar by the defensive line. They don’t make impact passing or running stops. I do like speed though. Maybe Harrison could be a 3rd lb for pass coverage because I hate only playing 2 lb’s.

Haven't you been complaining about the TEs lately? I might be confusing you with another poster... For the record, I think we're fine at TE, especially if Jelani Woods comes in healthy.

In any event, I think I agree with the bolded. If Richardson can play, the offense will get a huge boost because of what he can do. But we do need more playmaking from the WRs. I'd take some competition and depth at OL also.

We need more on defense. I'd start with a new DC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Minshew could have simply hitched up and made this throw. He's fleeing the pocket because that's what he does when he senses pressure, but there's room in the pocket, and more than enough time for him to plant and throw. But that requires anticipation.

To be fair, the pocket had collapsed. He had maybe enough time if Pierce was his first read but it was Pittman. He pump fakes to Pitt as he was covered and that’s when he had to scramble out. 

We have the benefit of slow motion replay and a better view of the field than any player has. Again I’m not arguing that Minshew isn’t failing to use Pierce. This just isn’t a good example of it.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I didn't mind it because, our offense was not doing well and points were gonna be hard to come by, you combine that with your at home, Gay is actually good at long fgs, it was within his pregame range and made a 52 yarder already. You have to try and take the points. I hate doing the if game but if he makes it on the last drive we need a fg not a TD, but of course who knows how it would of effective the rest of the game.

I definitely understand that logic. Just felt like we were fighting an uphill battle to that point, and it was maybe an opportunity to shift some momentum. Instead we tried the low percentage FG, and when it didn't hit, it put the Texans in a favorable position.

I'm still surprised people have a problem with the 4th and 1 call or even the timeout. The Texans were in man coverage with a run blitz, any type of inside run wasn't going to work, and Goodson is a pass catching RB that's his role in the offense. You combine that with JT was obviously hurt and Moss is not a good pass catcher, Goodson was the right player to be in.

It's just that play really was a reflection of our offense this year, the right play called but we have Gardner as QB and he is a great backup QB, yet still a backup and is gonna make mistakes like throwing behind the receiver. This season was a success in my book and I'm excited to see how this offense evolves with AR back.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

To be fair, the pocket had collapsed. He had maybe enough time if Pierce was his first read but it was Pittman. He pump fakes to Pitt as he was covered and that’s when he had to scramble out. 

We have the benefit of slow motion replay and a better view of the field than any player has. Again I’m not arguing that Minshew isn’t failing to use Pierce. This just isn’t a good example of it.

I keep going back and rewatching that clip. I don't think the pocket had collapsed, I think one rusher came from the left. And with anticipation, the QB could have hitched up and had time to throw. Instead, Minshew bailed, and I don't think he needed to.

Again, we're talking about an impressive level of anticipation, pocket presence, and poise. A much better QB probably makes that throw look routine.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Haven't you been complaining about the TEs lately? I might be confusing you with another poster... For the record, I think we're fine at TE, especially if Jelani Woods comes in healthy.

In any event, I think I agree with the bolded. If Richardson can play, the offense will get a huge boost because of what he can do. But we do need more playmaking from the WRs. I'd take some competition and depth at OL also.

I just want a WR that consistently catches the ball to compete with Pierce, in Pierce's defense he hasn't gotten the deep ball alot this year but he has also dropped multiple targets that should have been catches. So either in the draft or FA, I hope we bring someone in that is known to have good hands. 

Also a new DC, because Stroud is the type of QB who will destroy Bradley's system, he's patient and will take what he can get and wait for them to make a mistake and take advantage of it. 

Just now, Superman said:

I keep going back and rewatching that clip. I don't think the pocket had collapsed, I think one rusher came from the left. And with anticipation, the QB could have hitched up and had time to throw. Instead, Minshew bailed, and I don't think he needed to.

Again, we're talking about an impressive level of anticipation, pocket presence, and poise. A much better QB probably makes that throw look routine.

Agree that a better qb either mentally or physically can make that happen. Manning did it for years without having the strongest arm, but Manning is Manning. But asking most standard size/physique QBs to make that throw on the run is a tall order and Minshew is undersized.

I think one of our guys fell to one knee (Nelson maybe?) and that opened up a clear line for two defensive linemen to Minshew from around the center. 

But yes, a more physically gifted QB can make the throw on the run and a smarter QB or one with better poise makes the pass.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts have to play two games at MetLife next season. Pray for them with that horrible field.

I get to go to 2 local games. Good for me :thmup:..

I'm going to say my piece and then I'll be out of here. 

Please remember that while it's okay to be criticizing your head coach and team, you've got to understand some things. 

1. Winning is incredibly hard in the NFL. We take for granted winning, but nearly all franchises have long stretches of bad seasons. 

2. Being a head coach is incredibly hard. Especially when you're calling plays. I am the play caller for my high school football team, and I promise you this: it takes an insane amount of skill, finesse, awareness, leadership, creativity and decisiveness to call plays. And all of this is within a few seconds. Shane made a lot of mistakes. He's also human. He's also learning how to be a head coach and craft and design an NFL caliber offense at the same time, all while dealing with setback after setback. 

3. Sometimes players just don't execute. We can blame anyone and everyone but at the end of the day: % just happens. You can practice a play 100 times. And on the 101st is when a mistake happens. Chalk it up to it just not being our time I guess.

4. My father in law has a fantastic phrase for life's disappointments. "You can't let that % bug ya for too long". Allow yourself to have today to be angry, I sure am. But then let it go. If you've ever been on a football team, you know what I'm talking about. You have to move on and accept the loss. Learn from it. 

I have more, but I'm tired, my kiddos are needing my attention and I've got to be prepared for teaching this week. God bless all of you. Take some time for yourself. And see you around. 

-RollerColt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I'm still surprised people have a problem with the 4th and 1 call or even the timeout. The Texans were in man coverage with a run blitz, any type of inside run wasn't going to work, and Goodson is a pass catching RB that's his role in the offense. You combine that with JT was obviously hurt and Moss is not a good pass catcher, Goodson was the right player to be in.

It's just that play really was a reflection of our offense this year, the right play called but we have Gardner as QB and he is a great backup QB, yet still a backup and is gonna make mistakes like throwing behind the receiver. This season was a success in my book and I'm excited to see how this offense evolves with AR back.

Excellent post.

Just now, Zoltan said:

I just want a WR that consistently catches the ball to compete with Pierce, in Pierce's defense he hasn't gotten the deep ball alot this year but he has also dropped multiple targets that should have been catches. So either in the draft or FA, I hope we bring someone in that is known to have good hands. 

Also a new DC, because Stroud is the type of QB who will destroy Bradley's system, he's patient and will take what he can get and wait for them to make a mistake and take advantage of it. 

Yeah, I think getting another WR is a must. I just push back on the 'Pierce doesn't get open!' stuff because, as I've been saying all year, there have been chances to get him the ball, and we just don't do it. Doesn't mean that he's perfect and we don't need to improve the position.

And yeah, Stroud was 20-26, pretty comfortable in the pocket with just a few exceptions. Even when we got them into unfavorable situations with sacks and penalties, they easily got back whatever yardage they needed, plus some. Just easy throws almost all game, and then a couple of really good throws from a talented QB who was already in rhythm. 

I think we got the full Gus Bradley experience last night. Some good, nice response to the early TD, good run defense. But not enough pressure on the QB, almost no contested throws, wide open receivers, bad tackling (not entirely on Bradley). I don't want it anymore. We need to be better on defense, and I think it starts at the top.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I do think the colts need a te that can block and catch more than a receiver. Most of the top offenses have that, I haven’t seen that on the colts. It adds so much to the offense both rushing and passing. I just think lb is the weakest position on the team. You are going to draft a lot of players at other positions, that’s just what my priorities would be and as always would be based on who is available and nobody knows what that will be.

• Like 1

While it’s true Bradley didn’t have much to work with we can do better. We need to move on to someone who is up with football in 24. I remember the rumors after flus left and the rumors were no one wanted the job. Bradley was way down the list. I kind of look like it’s why I wanted a young offensive mind. It moved us into modern football. Same can be done with the defense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

What makes you so confident he was the right player to be in, when the result was a drop? (Yes, pass was off but still catchable). And he’s caught a total of six NFL passes. Not being snarky, I just don’t understand the firm belief in a player who hasn’t proved anything on the biggest play of the season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I definitely understand that logic. Just felt like we were fighting an uphill battle to that point, and it was maybe an opportunity to shift some momentum. Instead we tried the low percentage FG, and when it didn't hit, it put the Texans in a favorable position.

the colts beat Baltimore because he made those kind of kicks and nobody questioned that. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised why people are doing it now. You win it’s ok, you loose, people look to blame something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

You don’t pay your best playmakers to sit on the bench when the game is on the line.  He failed miserably yesterday.

I can't see why you and others are barking about Goodson being on the field to catch a designed RB pass play rather than either Moss or JT.  You do know that the "best players" in that situation are not Pitt or a TE, right?  Moss and JT are the only two players higher than Goodson on the depth chart at RB.

Would either of the two have been able to catch the ball while spinning a 180 and moving away from the ball?

Maybe Steichen specifically wanted Goodson to run a 4th down RB pass play because he thinks Goodson has the best hands of any RB we have?

Saying "not having your best players on the field" is simply cliché-speak, IMO.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

What makes you so confident he was the right player to be in, when the result was a drop? (Yes, pass was off but still catchable). And he’s caught a total of six NFL passes. Not being snarky, I just don’t understand the firm belief in a player who hasn’t proved anything on the biggest play of the season. 

I would’ve liked to see one of our more reliable players involved but they would’ve been defended differently I believe. Also, every proven player was unproven at some point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It wasn’t at the end of game. I believe it was third quarter or start of the fourth.

exactly! Your forced time out example is at the end of games, not when this play happened.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I think getting another WR is a must. I just push back on the 'Pierce doesn't get open!' stuff because, as I've been saying all year, there have been chances to get him the ball, and we just don't do it. Doesn't mean that he's perfect and we don't need to improve the position.

And yeah, Stroud was 20-26, pretty comfortable in the pocket with just a few exceptions. Even when we got them into unfavorable situations with sacks and penalties, they easily got back whatever yardage they needed, plus some. Just easy throws almost all game, and then a couple of really good throws from a talented QB who was already in rhythm. 

I think we got the full Gus Bradley experience last night. Some good, nice response to the early TD, good run defense. But not enough pressure on the QB, almost no contested throws, wide open receivers, bad tackling (not entirely on Bradley). I don't want it anymore. We need to be better on defense, and I think it starts at the top.

Yeah Pierce ability to get open, I don't argue against because there has been multiple times where he has gotten open deep and wasn't thrown to. I just don't trust his ability to catch the ball consistently.

as for bad tackling I put some of that on Bradley because in his soft zone it allows easy dump offs and requires all defenders to be great at open field tackles, which isn't easy when you have a TE vs a CB or a LB vs WR. Which we saw with the Schultz 2nd and long you have a 255lbs TE vs a 190lbs CB in the open field. Now can they make that tackle yes but are they always going to make it no.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

For me, it's the idea that any skill player on the roster should be able to make that catch. Acting like throwing to Goodson is irresponsible, like he isn't capable of catching a wide open pass, is what misses the mark. 

And really, I think the bigger problem on the play was Minshew's bad throw. Yeah, Goodson should have caught it, but Minshew really blew it. Terrible footwork, rushed throw, off target.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

For me, it's the idea that any skill player on the roster should be able to make that catch. Acting like throwing to Goodson is irresponsible, like he isn't capable of catching a wide open pass, is what misses the mark. 

And really, I think the bigger problem on the play was Minshew's bad throw. Yeah, Goodson should have caught it, but Minshew really blew it. Terrible footwork, rushed throw, off target.

Kurt Warner had a really good breakdown of that play. Basically he said Goodson should have ran more towards the sideline in an arcing route but instead ran more upfield. Minshew threw the ball where he did to keep it away from defenders (meaning he didn’t lead him on Goodsons route). 

• Like 3

I am disappointed but I am very proud to be a Colts fan today  Even after this loss.    In no way did I expect this team to be fighting for a playoff spot and possibly the division title before the season especially with a backup QB

I predicted 6 wins I think.     So they far exceeded my predictions.    To be mad is silly. They played better than I thought was possible. 

I am very excited for the future. 

I don't want Gus Fired 

I want Ballard as GM

I love Shane Steichen

It was not a bad call.  It was a good call  Just excecuted poorly.   Mishew probably just got excited whenhe saw how open Goodson was.

We aren't there yet.    But we will be 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I can't see why you and others are barking about Goodson being on the field to catch a designed RB pass play rather than either Moss or JT.  You do know that the "best players" in that situation are not Pitt or a TE, right?  Moss and JT are the only two players higher than Goodson on the depth chart at RB.

Would either of the two have been able to catch the ball while spinning a 180 and moving away from the ball?

Maybe Steichen specifically wanted Goodson to run a 4th down RB pass play because he thinks Goodson has the best hands of any RB we have?

Saying "not having your best players on the field" is simply cliché-speak, IMO.

Players are rated and playing according to their performance.  Teams have 1st string 2nd string 3rd string players rated for a reason.  3rd string players shouldn’t see the field when the players ahead of them are healthy and available.  Especially in a game deciding play.  I would guess they couldn’t believe their eyes when they didn’t see Taylor or Moss out there.  Mind blowing.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, husker61 said:

the colts beat Baltimore because he made those kind of kicks and nobody questioned that. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised why people are doing it now. You win it’s ok, you loose, people look to blame something.

Before the kick I wanted them to punt, for the reasons I've stated already. When the kick barely missed, I actually softened my stance. It's not like our kicker can't make that kick, indoors, at home. I don't think I'm being reactionary. My point was just that it would have been good to flip the field at that point.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

That isn’t what anyone is saying. If you go down  your best players  you can live with it. 

8 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Kurt Warner had a really good breakdown of that play. Basically he said Goodson should have ran more towards the sideline in an arcing route but instead ran more upfield. Minshew threw the ball where he did to keep it away from defenders (meaning he didn’t lead him on Goodsons route). 

there were no defenders near him and it was a short pass, see the receiver and throw it to him.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That isn’t what anyone is saying. If you go down  your best players  you can live with it. 

Bull Crap.    If they would have handed to Taylor and he didn't get it people wouldnt have "Lived with it".  They'd just be *ing in another direction 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Watched Warner's video. There's some good stuff there, and it's possible that Goodson's route wasn't perfect. But we don't know how the Colts coach that route.

What is undeniable is that Minshew's feet are wrong, he's closed off to the left side, and has to fight across his shoulder to throw the pass. He is not under pressure. He could have opened up to the left with his last step, and made a better throw. Instead he rushes it and throws a pass that was not as catchable as it could have been, even if Goodson's route wasn't great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1