Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears are officially on the clock

GoColts8818

On 12/31/2023 at 8:50 PM, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39219696/bears-celebrate-win-top-pick-2024-nfl-draft-panthers-loss

face the same question as last build around Fields or take a QB and start over.  The wrinkle is Marvin Jr.  They could take him number one overall.  

A WR over a great talent QB is something foolish a dysfunctional organization like the bears could do. haha

....but I don't think Caleb Williams would sign with the bears if they drafted him anyway. 

First things first - do the Bears retain Head Coach Matt Eberflus & the GM Ryan Poles??

Second things second - do the Bears decide to build around QB Justin Fields (which they should) - and - add quality pieces on offense & defense with their position at the top of each round??  

OR - does the whole organization get gutted and adopt a "let's start all over" attitude - which will set the team back by YEARS??

1 minute ago, sb41champs said:

First things first - do the Bears retain Head Coach Matt Eberflus & the GM Ryan Poles??

Second things second - do the Bears decide to build around QB Justin Fields (which they should) - and - add quality pieces on offense & defense with their position at the top of each round??  

OR - does the whole organization get gutted and adopt a "let's start all over" attitude - which will set the team back by YEARS??

Eberflus is gone I think, Poles might stay. They did make a great late season run though, so maybe if they win tomorrow they stay?

New Coach will determine if he wants rookie or Fields, doubt they would try and push Fields on a candidate.

Imagine they go offensive mind.(if they move on)

Bieniemy(Poles connection)

Harbaugh(Bears connection)

Ben Johnson(conference connection)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Second things second - do the Bears decide to build around QB Justin Fields (which they should) 

That would be a horrible decision and set them back for years to come.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, w87r said:

Eberflus is gone I think, Poles might stay. They did make a great late season run though, so maybe if they win tomorrow they stay?

New Coach will determine if he wants rookie or Fields, doubt they would try and push Fields on a candidate.

I think Eberflus stays unless Harbaugh becomes available, IMO. 

Cardinals have 2 first rounders, and if they want to get rid of Murray, might be their best chance to move up. 

Commanders and Patriots might want to trade with bears too. So Bears can drop to No.3 and still get MHJ

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cardinals have 2 first rounders, and if they want to get rid of Murray, might be their best chance to move up. 

Commanders and Patriots might want to trade with bears too. So Bears can drop to No.3 and still get MHJ

I think Harbaugh is 100% going to NFL this off-season. Potentially Chargers, but Bears make sense if they move on from Eberflus as well.

Cardinals have come out and said Murray is their QB going into 2024. Things change, but no reason to go on record like that if that isn't the plan.

On 1/6/2024 at 3:18 PM, w87r said:

Reports are Eberflus is staying.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/espn-insider-gives-latest-update-on-matt-eberflus-job-status-with-bears/530541/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10103030-nfl-rumors-bears-matt-eberflus-expected-to-return-as-hc-in-2024-despite-struggles

then again stranger things have happened.  

On 1/7/2024 at 1:02 PM, chad72 said:

Arizona Cardinals coach Jonathan Gannon has already announced that Kyler Murray is their QB for 2024.

Draft Caleb Williams, trade Fields and also draft a wr with there 2nd 1st round pick. If they keep Fields they would be dumb to do so. Fields will cost them a lot more soon and will be older than Williams so might as well get a fresh start at QB. Also Fields is not good.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 2:50 AM, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39219696/bears-celebrate-win-top-pick-2024-nfl-draft-panthers-loss

face the same question as last build around Fields or take a QB and start over.  The wrinkle is Marvin Jr.  They could take him number one overall.  

Don't get me wrong - Harrison is good - but they have DJ Moore who's probably THE most underrated WR in the league.

I think they need to move on from Fields, get Williams or Drake or whoever and get a Tackle or another WR at 9.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:11 AM, GoColts8818 said:

They need to get a good OC/QB coach combo, draft a QB at 1 and then Eberflus needs to let them do their thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

They need to get a good OC/QB coach combo, draft a QB at 1 and then Eberflus needs to let them do their thing.

I wonder if Vrabel becomes HC of Patriots and brings along Josh McDaniels, and Belichick becomes HC of Falcons and brings along Klint Kubiak (another Kyle Shanahan assistant), would the Falcons go after Justin Fields for a couple of 2nd rounders? Or is the locker room vibe too much Pro-Justin Fields as it is being reported that Ryan Poles is only looking for a ransom to trade away the No.1 pick again?

Apparently, the Bears want to move down to No.3 and not miss the chance to draft Marvin Harrison Jr., and in exchange want a future 1st rounder from the Patriots at No.3. I am not sure if that will happen or not but if they move back with a team like the Broncos (Sean Payton never minds lofty trades) or Falcons, they will get a bounty (pun intended with Sean Payton).

So, the Bears can get (say) Drake London from Falcons and a future 1st rounder from Falcons in return for the pick No.1, I wonder if that will make up for them not getting Marvin Harrison Jr. The Falcons have more young talent than the Broncos do at WR and TE, just not the QB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Draft Caleb Williams, trade Fields and also draft a wr with there 2nd 1st round pick. If they keep Fields they would be dumb to do so. Fields will cost them a lot more soon and will be older than Williams so might as well get a fresh start at QB. Also Fields is not good.

Pretty much what I was going to post.

Whoever is the best receiver available with the second 1st round pick they will draft

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Pretty much what I was going to post.

Whoever is the best receiver available with the second 1st round pick they will draft

I agree with this but the word is their locker room is very much Pro Justin Fields and if they can get a ransom of picks by moving with the Falcons at No.9, they would consider it (like say Kyle Pitts or Drake London plus a future 1st rounder, like the Panthers gave them with D J Moore).

But that would mean they are hedging too many bets on Justin Fields and don't want to go through another QB development time frame as an organization.

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wonder if Vrabel becomes HC of Patriots and brings along Josh McDaniels, and Belichick becomes HC of Falcons and brings along Klint Kubiak (another Kyle Shanahan assistant), would the Falcons go after Justin Fields for a couple of 2nd rounders? Or is the locker room vibe too much Pro-Justin Fields as it is being reported that Ryan Poles is only looking for a ransom to trade away the No.1 pick again?

Apparently, the Bears want to move down to No.3 and not miss the chance to draft Marvin Harrison Jr., and in exchange want a future 1st rounder from the Patriots at No.3. I am not sure if that will happen or not but if they move back with a team like the Broncos (Sean Payton never minds lofty trades) or Falcons, they will get a bounty (pun intended with Sean Payton).

So, the Bears can get (say) Drake London from Falcons and a future 1st rounder from Falcons in return for the pick No.1, I wonder if that will make up for them not getting Marvin Harrison Jr. The Falcons have more young talent than the Broncos do at WR and TE, just not the QB.

Keeping Fields is a mistake and it’ll end up costing Poles his job if he does. Fields ain’t it and Poles will likely not get a better chance at a QB than this season. 

I don’t care what other teams offer him short of Mahomes on a platter. It’s time to start building the team with all those picks he got last season. 

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Keeping Fields is a mistake and it’ll end up costing Poles his job if he does. Fields ain’t it and Poles will likely not get a better chance at a QB than this season. 

I don’t care what other teams offer him short of Mahomes on a platter. It’s time to start building the team with all those picks he got last season. 

Yeah, Bears will be Bears and do Bears things. Like you said, the best QB in the draft is being served on a platter with more definitive options this year, IMO. Plus, Justin Fields didn't have the Year 3 breakout they thought he might have like a Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts. He did get the No.1 wideout like Allen (Diggs) and Hurts (Brown) both had in Year 3 but the teams the Bears beat weren't the best of the bunch. 2-12 vs playoff teams in the last 2 years. So, a reset gives them another rookie contract. They still can move back from their No.9 pick in the first round and gain more capital by virtue of it.

Maybe they trade Fields to the Falcons or Broncos for a 2nd rounder. 

• Like 1

I know many in here love PFF. Here are the top 5 rated QBs coming out of college per: PFF,

1. Caleb Williams 

2. Drake Maye 

3. Jayden Daniels

4. Bo Nix

5. Michael Penix Jr.

Bears will probably take Williams and trade Fields for another pick. Not sure how high of a pick they can get for Fields?

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know many in here love PFF. Here are the top 5 rated QBs coming out of college per: PFF,

1. Caleb Williams 

2. Drake Maye 

3. Jayden Daniels

4. Bo Nix

5. Michael Penix Jr.

Bears will probably take Williams and trade Fields for another pick. Not sure how high of a pick they can get for Fields?

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/1/8/24029459/chicago-bears-mock-draft-2024-nfl-draft-caleb-williams-rome-odunze-scouting-report

I am thinking it makes the most sense for the Falcons to go after Justin Fields and the above mock draft suggests that as well.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/1/8/24029459/chicago-bears-mock-draft-2024-nfl-draft-caleb-williams-rome-odunze-scouting-report

I am thinking it makes the most sense for the Falcons to go after Justin Fields and the above mock draft suggests that as well.

In this mock draft, PFF has the Bears drafting the same two players as in the one you posted from Windy City Gridiron (without the trade).

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-bears-caleb-williams-patriots-lsu-jayden-daniels

• Like 1

Just a small note on starting QBs in the NFL right now.

22 of the starting QBs in the NFL are 1st rounders. 4 are 2nd. 2 for 3rd and 4th round. 1 each for 5th and 7th round.

The average draft position is 37 (a lot of that due to Purdy). The median is 11.

QBs outside of the 1st round are the exception, not the rule.

• Like 2