Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

51 different QBs have started this year

csmopar

I don’t recall there ever being that many backups pressed into service.  Is this a product of the desire to have mobile QBs these days than 10 years ago where the mold was the pocket statues like Manning, Rivers etc. 

my question is: if this trend continues, does it change the course of future QBs back towards more of the pocket passer?

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I don’t recall there ever being that many backups pressed into service.  Is this a product of the desire to have mobile QBs these days than 10 years ago where the mold was the pocket statues like Manning, Rivers etc. 

my question is: if this trend continues, does it change the course of future QBs back towards more of the pocket passer?

It's not just mobile QBs, that factors into some injuries but this is probably just a year when there's unusually large number of QBs getting injured.

It's called, The Law of Averages.

Cousins, Rodgers, Jimmy, Carr, Stafford, Lawrence yesterday, Burrow, Watson, Geno didn't get injured running around. Injuries happen in or outside the pocket.

Another important factor for so many QBs starting is because of the lack of quality QBs in the league, either as starters or backups.

QBs like Jimmy, Ridder, Mac Jones, Zack Wilson, Walker, Pickett, Tannehill and few more backups had to be tried and replaced multiple times.

NFL teams also are starting to experiment with serviceable backups to game manage and give them chance to win until they find their franchise QB.

No need to fret, it's far from any trend of mobile QBs getting injured.

Lamar, Allen, Hurts, even Kyler are just fine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Moe said:

I have come around on resigning Gardner Minshew, but think we should consider drafting a quarterback in one of the latter rounds also.

I think drafting a qb to be the backup is a strategy that rarely works.  You want a vet that has seen action.  Not a guy that has never played.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think drafting a qb to be the backup is a strategy that rarely works.  You want a vet that has seen action.  Not a guy that has never played.   

For me it depends on the situation. We need an established vet because of our young QB who has limited experience. But once we get an established starting QB, then we can transition into developing backups. In an ideal world, we'd have Richardson starting for years to come, while developing QBs behind him as he gets older. We can then either trade those QBs for capital, or keep them in case they have to come in and play. 

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

100 percent.     Great post!  

See Jacob Eason.   See Sam Ehlinger. 

And now see Gardner Minshew. 

Props to you.    :thmup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RollerColt said:

For me it depends on the situation. We need an established vet because of our young QB who has limited experience. But once we get an established starting QB, then we can transition into developing backups. In an ideal world, we'd have Richardson starting for years to come, while developing QBs behind him as he gets older. We can then either trade those QBs for capital, or keep them in case they have to come in and play. 

But that has rarely ever worked in the league. Tom Brady and Brock Purdy are the latest I can think of having worked out that way. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But that has rarely ever worked in the league. Tom Brady and Brock Purdy are the latest I can think of having worked out that way. 

And I'm not talking about developing these QBs to be Tom Bradys and Purdys. I'm meaning eventually the well runs dry once all of those veteran QBs get too old. There will always be a need to pick up QBs and develop them. 

Who am I kidding, I'm probably way off and wrong on this. 

Forget I said anything. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And I'm not talking about developing these QBs to be Tom Bradys and Purdys. I'm meaning eventually the well runs dry once all of those veteran QBs get too old. There will always be a need to pick up QBs and develop them. 

Who am I kidding, I'm probably way off and wrong on this. 

Forget I said anything. 

Think about it this way: every season, there is a group of QBs getting older… all of them, 

every season, there’s at least a handful of guys like Minshew who lose their starting gig. A few of those are usually open to being a bench rider as it’s relatively easy money to supplement what they’ve already made.

in fact, I think Tannehill and Willis will both fall into that category this off season. 

now does that mean they’ll have the same results we’ve had with Minshew,  depends on the system they step into and if it complements their skills

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Think about it this way: every season, there is a group of QBs getting older… all of them, 

every season, there’s at least a handful of guys like Minshew who lose their starting gig. A few of those are usually open to being a bench rider as it’s relatively easy money to supplement what they’ve already made.

in fact, I think Tannehill and Willis will both fall into that category this off season. 

now does that mean they’ll have the same results we’ve had with Minshew,  depends on the system they step into and if it complements their skills

It's true. And you guys are right, the veterans with experience have a much better chance to win a team games in a pinch. Eason was deer in the headlights. 

But why then, do teams keep drafting QBs beyond the first round? 

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I would re-sign Minshew at least for 1 year until AR really starts to come into his own. Without Minshew this year we would probably be 3-9 or 4-8 at best. Minshew may be better than almost half the starters in the league. Maybe 16-20. It is even hard to call him a true backup at this point. 

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It's true. And you guys are right, the veterans with experience have a much better chance to win a team games in a pinch. Eason was deer in the headlights. 

Sometimes you hope one turns into Brady

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I really think the rookie QBs of this year's class have done a decent job all things considered. And in a few years they're going to be quite experienced veterans. 

They have surpassed expectations for sure. I had this class pegged as a bust myself but looks like I may have to eat crow on that one and I’m glad I was wrong

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Flyers.  Most don't work out.   Some become Brady, Wilson or Purdy.  It's a lottery ticket

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It almost makes guys like Peyton, Tom, and Rivers look that much more amazing. Their durability was off the charts. 

I wouldn't say "durability" but rather having good line of scrimmage knowledge and knowing quickly which receiver to throw to before the pass rush got to them. They were more cerebral than athletically durable imo.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

They have surpassed expectations for sure. I had this class pegged as a bust myself but looks like I may have to eat crow on that one and I’m glad I was wrong

I liked this years Top 4 QB class and felt that at least three would make it. I'm also not as down on Bryce young as most others. I think in the proper circumstances he may turn out to be a serviceable QB. 

I was very ecstatic AR5 fell to us and that Ballard selected him and feel Levis will be a good QB too.. I'll also be curious to see how Hooker does and if the QBs from Georgia and TCU hang around as backups.

Feeling right now like Minshew was a heck of a signing, given that the Colts are getting wins with him at QB on a 3.5M deal.  Wondering if he'll be willing to back AR up next year.  If not I think maybe I'd draft one mid to late round for that backup job, and hope I could grow a backup out of that pick.

Hoping he signs on for another year or two though.  And I think giving him a better contract with standard backup QB pay and security would be good for both parties.  Given that you're cooked nowadays without a QB.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:23 PM, csmopar said:

What made you think that? What are your thoughts on the QBs expected to be drafted next year? I'm hoping the Vikings will draft a QB in the first round. Maybe Bo Nix? Jayden Daniels?

@Zoltan  You liked Daniels. As a fan of PAC-12, what do you think of Nix?

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

What made you think that? What are your thoughts on the QBs expected to be drafted next year? I'm hoping the Vikings will draft a QB in the first round. Maybe Bo Nix? Jayden Daniels?

Naturally I don’t like him because he’s a Duck lol. 

but in all seriousness I kind of have him and Daniels in the same category, the thing about this years QBs there’s a lot who have 5 years of college football with Daniels, Nix, and Penix (who has 6 years). Where I think the value of Daniels comes in because I see him being drafted early 2nd round while I think Nix and Penix will be over drafted in the 1st round and you will hear about the success in college and there maturity. The only reason Daniels isn’t getting the hype is because LSU didn’t have more wins even though Daniels has had an amazing year. 

I think most of these QBs are very close to their ceilings but for a team like the Vikings, I could them being able to draft a QB like Daniels without trading the farm for him and he will be just as good if not better than Nix and Penix

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Naturally I don’t like him because he’s a Duck lol. 

but in all seriousness I kind of have him and Daniels in the same category, the thing about this years QBs there’s a lot who have 5 years of college football with Daniels, Nix, and Penix (who has 6 years). Where I think the value of Daniels comes in because I see him being drafted early 2nd round while I think Nix and Penix will be over drafted in the 1st round and you will hear about the success in college and there maturity. The only reason Daniels isn’t getting the hype is because LSU didn’t have more wins even though Daniels has had an amazing year. 

I think most of these QBs are very close to their ceilings but for a team like the Vikings, I could them being able to draft a QB like Daniels without trading the farm for him and he will be just as good if not better than Nix and Penix

CBS had a mock draft with Daniels being selected 2nd overall.

While Trapasso has Maye going first overall to the Chicago Bears, Daniels is right behind him, going to the New England Patriots with the second overall pick, ahead of Williams.

Surprise! The Patriots go with Daniels over Caleb Williams as the second quarterback off the board. Daniels is an athletic marvel with two years of high-caliber passing productivity in the SEC.

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/08/lsu-football-jayden-daniels-cbs-2024-nfl-mock-draft-top-five/

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Just didn’t like the overall class. I thought young would bust out, didn’t seem to have the mental toughness or the size to compete. That one seems to be true.

Stroud, I thought he was overrated and given the Ohio State QB curse, I just didn’t expect him to do well. I also thought his ego would get in the way. So far, he’s proving me wrong.

AR15- I was worried about his overall lack of accuracy in the short game, I worried about the lack of starts . I also thought he would be hard to change his play style. I also didn’t like his receivers comment when asked about his accuracy. Again, proven wrong thus far although a short sampling. 

levis. I didn’t like his play but mostly I didn’t like his ego. The prima Donna attitude doesn’t translate very well very often. That said, this one the jury is definitely still out in and I have to wonder if he’d be better in a different team than the fire that is Tennessee.

but overall, the biggest reason I didn’t like this class is all of them relied mostly on their running ability to make plays. Which is great but short lived through NFL history. I’m not talking about mobile QBs that dodge pressures, i mean guys that take it off and run it. Historically, they get banged up and don’t last through their first contracts. Given the number of QBs taken in the last few years that play that way, I’m curious to see if that trend holds.

as for this class, I think Williams is no better than Young. Beyond that, I think it’s a better initial class if you compare them based on college play and ignore last years class’ nfl performance this year. 

With Herbert going down, I figured we should bring this thread back to forefront... 

The AFC was supposed to be THE QB conference this season: Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Watson, Herbert, Tua, Lamar, Lawrence (playing hurt), Wilson, Pickett, Richardson, Stroud (concussion), Jones, Garoppolo, Tannehill..

Of those 16... Only seven... SEVEN starting QBs are left standing from injuries or being benched or both and only 5 are fully healthy. 

How has the NFC fared? 

Prescott, Hurts, Purdy, Stafford (missed time), Murray (missed time), Smith, Goff, Cousins, Jones, Love, Fields (missed time), Mayfield, Ridder (missed time), Carr (missed time), Young (missed time), Howell. 

That's 11 out of 32 starters out for the year, and 19 out of 32 total who have missed time. 

What a season. 

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

With Herbert going down, I figured we should bring this thread back to forefront... 

The AFC was supposed to be THE QB conference this season: Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Watson, Herbert, Tua, Lamar, Lawrence (playing hurt), Wilson, Pickett, Richardson, Stroud (concussion), Jones, Garoppolo, Tannehill..

Of those 16... Only seven... SEVEN starting QBs are left standing from injuries or being benched or both and only 5 are fully healthy. 

How has the NFC fared? 

Prescott, Hurts, Purdy, Stafford (missed time), Murray (missed time), Smith, Goff, Cousins, Jones, Love, Fields (missed time), Mayfield, Ridder (missed time), Carr (missed time), Young (missed time), Howell. 

That's 11 out of 32 starters out for the year, and 19 out of 32 total who have missed time. 

What a season. 

And so many in the off-season said that Tua will not last long and he should retire. 

The count is up to 53 - and - the Cleveland Browns have brought in 38-year old QB Joe Flacco - who hasn't looked half bad.

Colin Cowherd mentioned that he didn't understand what all the fuss was about the number of QB's who have played this season.  He pointed out that that many played LAST season.

I guess we ran out of fingers last year!!

LOLOLOLOL

I think defenses have finally caught up to offenses and the rules that tailor to them.  Pass rushes have become faster and stronger.  DBs have become more athletic and smart.

and it’s not just mobile qbs.  It’s QBs period.  The price tag for OL and backup qbs will shoot up in the future if this continues to be a thing.

• 2 weeks later...