Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

I'm listening to Steichen's presser. I think the situation deserves better than what he's giving.

Steichen declined to say whether the decision was entirely about Leonard's play on the field. He declined to say whether it's concerning that Leonard doesn't know why he was released one day after being told he'd be inactive. He did say the decision to release Leonard wasn't made because they were upset with his public comments.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, w87r said:

Will say, this move puts everybody on notice.

You can talk but if you can't walk the talk, you are in trouble?? :) 

If you can't walk, then don't talk. That is all I gather, though his outspoken media quotes did not play a factor, according to the Colts. You put 2 and 2 together, most of us with common sense can infer it probably factored in though not entirely.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm listening to Steichen's presser. I think the situation deserves better than what he's giving.

Steichen declined to say whether the decision was entirely about Leonard's play on the field. He declined to say whether it's concerning that Leonard doesn't know why he was released one day after being told he'd be inactive. He did say the decision to release Leonard wasn't made because they were upset with his public comments.

We probably will never know what truly happened. I won’t be shocked if Leonard tells his side of the story in the future on a podcast. But it sounds like the Colts are simply going to refuse to comment. 

Not really a good look right now. They better hope we string some wins and stay in playoff contention so everyone forgets. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You can talk but if you can't walk the talk, you are in trouble. :) 

If you can't walk, then don't talk. That is all I gather, though his outspoken media quotes did not play a factor, according to the Colts. You put 2 and 2 together, most of us with common sense can infer it probably factored in though not entirely.

Not really what I was referring to.

Just saying, if they will cut a Captain mid season, no one is safe. 

I stand by the Colts did him a solid, even if he doesn't feel that way right now. I will even extend the reasoning.

1. Was going to be inactive here(not what he wants)

2. Wants to play(what he wants)

3. Gave him an opportunity to have a team pick up the remainder of his contract, instead of just straight losing it if we released him in the spring. 

4. Depending where he goes, he could have a chance to win a SB.

5. Didn't lose any monies this year, despite weird timing.

6. If he gets to a role that suits him better, he could increase potential earnings.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We probably will never know what truly happened. I won’t be shocked if Leonard tells his side of the story in the future on a podcast. But it sounds like the Colts are simply going to refuse to comment. 

Not really a good look right now. They better hope we string some wins and stay in playoff contention so everyone forgets. 

I don't think Leonard is or has been holding back. It seems like the mystery exists because the Colts won't address it.

To me, the most convincing conclusion is the team wanted to avoid the $6.5m injury guarantee in 2024. Setting aside that I don't think that's a good reason to release a player midseason, I also think they could have just benched him like they told him they would. But that's what makes the most sense to me, and I wouldn't expect the team to come out and acknowledge that line of reasoning. (It also wasn't asked today. Not that Steichen would have answered... By the way, I think the media did a good job with their questioning.)

It could also be that they think his play has been really bad, but they're hoping another team claims him, so they won't proclaim that directly, just in case. 

It's going to have to be Ballard answering some questions, and that won't happen until after the season.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I stand by the Colts did him a solid, even if he doesn't feel that way right now. I will even extend the reasoning.

3. Gave him an opportunity to have a team pick up the remainder of his contract, instead of just straight losing it if we released him in the spring. 

6. If he gets to a role that suits him better, he could increase potential earnings.

IF the dude can play, the Colts did him a solid. But if he can thrive only in a certain role, he is a one trick pony LB that didn't deserve that big contract, IMO, if folks want to play that angle. Tackles for losses, pass break ups/INTs and peanut punches were all a big part of his repertoire, that is what got him the contract. Every single one of them diminishing can't just be attributed to the system, IMO. 

But no matter where he goes, how much he makes, all of that is in his control now. The Colts' players and organization have no choice but to move on. We will find out in the weeks to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thats all perfectly fine and a good thing to do on the Colts end.

I just think their communication sucks. He was a captain and leader of the team and community. He should’ve commanded a bit more respect for the Colts to at least explain their reasoning for letting him walk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Thats all perfectly fine and a good thing to do on the Colts end.

I just think their communication sucks. He was a captain and leader of the team and community. He should’ve commanded a bit more respect for the Colts to at least explain their reasoning for letting him walk. 

I definitely wish they have better communication between the meeting and waiver.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think the owner being willing to cut Peyton Manning plus just the way the NFL works should tell players no one is safe.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the owner being willing to cut Peyton Manning plus just the way the NFL works should tell players no one is safe.

Different era, new players.

I don't think one player on the Colts thinks about the fact we released Peyton, and how that might pertain to them.

• Like 2

He was unhappy with his playing time before he requested a meeting.  Then he has a meeting and he’s told he will not be active in upcoming games.  How could that sit well?  That’s a recipe for a potentially messed up locker room.  I think Ballard and the coaches came to the same conclusion and decided to cut him.  I would bet Leonard sensed his situation was not in a good place after the meeting.  His reaction afterwards was pretty mundane.  I actually thought he was probably expecting it.  He seems at peace with it and has moved on.  So has the team.  It’s over and on to Tampa Bay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I understood what you meant. When no one wants to talk about it, something happened lol. Doesn’t really matter anyways. With how long it’s been since he has played well, Leonard will mostly be forgotten by Colts fans in 2 years anyways. This league moves fast. 

What a sad commentary! I still remember Vikings players from the 90s, even those who played just a few years (like former Colts star player Chris Hinton) and those who were mediocre. I even remember punters like Mitch Berger. :)

Colts fans should have fond memories of Leonard just as they do Bob Sanders who also did not play too long.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What a sad commentary! I still remember Vikings players from the 90s, even those who played just a few years (like former Colts star player Chris Hinton) and those who were mediocre. I even remember punters like Mitch Berger. :)

Colts fans should have finds memories of Leonard just as they do Bob Sanders who also did not play too long.

I won’t forget him. I hope bygones will be bygones eventually down the road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Forgets what? I must have forgotten.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think it’s that weird. The Seahawks moved on from Wilson who is the best QB in the history of their franchise. Jags moved on from Ramsey. Leonard is fortunate to have even gotten a 2nd contract here because there are countless examples of far better players at more premium positions not getting a 2nd contract. 

LB isn’t one of those positions. Plus I don’t think the scheme really needed Shaq. Franklin and Speed have been fine. It’s the NFL and this is super normal, but new to Colts fans. The Patriots made a living off of this, granted it’s biting them in the behind now. But, this is an encouraging sign. All 4 of our notable FAs (Moore, Bkackmon, Pitt, and Stewart) were just put on notice.

Its nothing personal against Leonard, but this is an A+ move from Ballard that shows me his growth as a GM.

like I have said many times going back many years with different gm’s. The colts have given big contracts to players that were mistakes and the only common thread is the owner. I have always said he is too much of a fan pushing these contracts.

• Like 1

I don't know why this is complicated.  They released a player who was not outplaying his backups.  Ballard/SS is trying to improve the defense, and Leonard was a known quantity who's play was not improving.  They probably released Leonard to get better for the playoff run....to be replaced by better LBers.....and might even bring in a LB SS hybrid who can cover the middle better with the vacated roster spot?

The other stuff is just fans coming to grips with it, IMO, and assuming that the Colts released a very good player mid season...which is not really the case.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know why this is complicated.  They released a player who was not outplaying his backups.  Ballard/SS is trying to improve the defense, and Leonard was a known quantity who's play was not improving.  They probably released Leonard to get better for the playoff run, and might bring in a LB SS hybrid who can cover the middle better?

The other stuff is just fans coming to grips with it, IMO, assuming that the Colts released a good player mid season...when players are released quite often mid season.

They already did bring in a player. They signed Rodney Harrison jr to the 53. He is a safety but they now has him listed as a LB. I think it’s an interesting move showing  we might be trying some different things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They already did bring in a player. They signed Rodney Harrison jr to the 53. He is a safety but they now has him listed as a LB. I think it’s a interesting move shoring we might be trying some different things.

Thanks, I forgot they already did. 

Ballard is always trying to improve the team by churning the bottom of the roster.  Fans are confused because they think Leonard was something better than that. 

And a bottom tier guy who vocally wanted starter playing time....well...that math doesn't compute.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Hmmm something doesn’t add up here

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What doesn’t add up.  I really think colts knew this situation would not get better with him inactive. He would have been even more upset. It would of been a awkward situation.

I think it would be a bit weird to have a Team Captain inactive the rest of the year because of bad play.  Usually the captains are the star players.  

I don't think Leonard ever said anything out of line, but everything he did say seemed to conflict with the decision makers decisions...for a number of years now.  Style can mask substance for only so long.  But I doubt there was any real concern over him being a locker room issue.

Again, they probably just wanted to free up a roster spot to see if they can find better coverage guys/combos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm guessing he voiced his opinion during their meeting, not in public.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know why this is complicated.  They released a player who was not outplaying his backups.  Ballard/SS is trying to improve the defense, and Leonard was a known quantity who's play was not improving.  They probably released Leonard to get better for the playoff run....to be replaced by better LBers.....and might even bring in a LB SS hybrid who can cover the middle better with the vacated roster spot?

The other stuff is just fans coming to grips with it, IMO, and assuming that the Colts released a very good player mid season...which is not really the case.

PFF (for what it's worth) has the leading tackling LB ranked like 62/82.

I don’t need to be shown that our LB's are porous in coverage. And i don't have a clue if Ronnie Harrison can come in in passing situations and improve our pass coverage. But it makes me believe our leadership wants to win.

Can you imagine Minshew leading us into the playoffs. It's a Cinderella story.

Haha! No matter the patsy schedule we have.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is what happens when teams thinks players under perform and they have a major contract.

No, not really. Releasing players who are still owed guaranteed money in the middle of the season, when they are unlikely to be claimed on waivers, is not something that generally happens.

Releasing Leonard after the season would not have been surprising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Mo Alie Cox isn't outplaying Andrew Ogletree, why hasn't he been waived midseason?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Colts fans should have fond memories of Leonard just as they do Bob Sanders who also did not play too long.

I could have phrased that better lol. I guess I meant fans will move on quickly. A lot of great Colts players are hardly discussed anymore. Vontae Davis, Antoine Bethea, Dominick Rhodes, Joeseph Addai, kelvin Hayden, Marlin Jackson, Gary Brackett, Austin Collie, Brandon Stokley, Jack Doyle etc. It is crazy how quickly these guys leave our conversations once they are gone. That’s what I meant. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

No, not really. Releasing players who are still owed guaranteed money in the middle of the season, when they are unlikely to be claimed on waivers, is not something that generally happens.

Releasing Leonard after the season would not have been surprising.

I meant being released in general.  I’d agree the being released middle of the season part is out of the norm but that is also clearly not what was being discussed between the other poster and me.

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I could have phrased that better lol. I guess I meant fans will move on quickly. A lot of great Colts players are hardly discussed anymore. Vontae Davis, Antoine Bethea, Dominick Rhodes, Joeseph Addai, kelvin Hayden, Marlin Jackson, Gary Brackett, Austin Collie, Brandon Stokley, Jack Doyle etc. It is crazy how quickly these guys leave our conversations once they are gone. That’s what I meant. 

Marlin Jackson will always be a God for picking off Brady to finally get us into the big dance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They already did bring in a player. They signed Rodney Harrison jr to the 53. He is a safety but they now has him listed as a LB. I think it’s an interesting move showing  we might be trying some different things.

I think they realized they are getting destroyed by other teams getting receivers on linebackers week after week because teams have figured out the linebackers can’t cover.  That’s probably part of why they were going to sit Shaq down to start with.  They need someone who can cover back there and Harrison is the best they can do in season to find someone like that.  At least, he has a guy in June who done exactly what they are asking him to do at a high level, coaching him.  I was saying they had to find a linebacker who can cover this off-season before any of this happened.  Seeing all this happen tells me that’s exactly what the Colts are thinking too.

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I wouldn’t call those players great!

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Mo Alie Cox isn't outplaying Andrew Ogletree, why hasn't he been waived midseason?

Maybe they would have by now if Woods was ready to play. 

I think its cuts are usually about roster spots and upgrading with replacements, ultimately.  With investment in the future a consideration. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Maybe.  But I don't see any of that as a big deal.  Guys know when things fall out at this level with a staff.  By the time they got to that point where the release happened I am sure there were many conversations had between him, the Colts leadership, probably the owner, and his representation.  Exploring whether Leonard was surprised over being inactive vs being cut, to me that's splitting hairs.  It's the kind of thing the media beats to death for storylines.

Steichen is a new head coach.  Guy isn't perfect.  He's got a team leader grossly underperforming what he is being paid.  We can split those hairs with the hows and whys it all went down but in the end the correct decision was made which to me is what is important.

It wouldn't be as fun for the media but if they had kept him around the rest of this season I would have been far more critical of the team and their decision making.  It surprised me to see them take that tact, and I think if anything it makes me feel more confident in this young head coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they realized they are getting destroyed by other teams getting receivers on linebackers week after week because teams have figured out the linebackers can’t cover.  That’s probably part of why they were going to sit Shaq down to start with.  They need someone who can cover back there and Harrison is the best they can do in season to find someone like that.  At least, he has a guy in June who done exactly what they are asking him to do at a high level, coaching him.  I was saying they had to find a linebacker who can cover this off-season before any of this happened.  Seeing all this happen tells me that’s exactly what the Colts are thinking too.

Imagine being shocked that your antiquated defense can't stop receivers in the middle of the field. Instead of cutting the guy who actually has a penchant for playmaking, and replacing him with **checks notes** a journeyman converted safety who hasn't played a single snap this season, why not try calling a modern NFL defense??

I get what you're saying. Our LBs are not good in coverage. I think that applies to all of them, though. Reaching the conclusion that Leonard needed to go right now to salvage our coverage scheme is a leap I can't make.

I think they decided to bench him to avoid the 2024 injury guarantee. And then maybe they decided, rather than benching him, it would be best to let him go play for another team -- maybe he gets claimed, but even if he doesn't, the future guarantee isn't an issue. 

• Like 2