Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thompson Admits to Fabricating Sideline Reports

RollerColt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/16/charissa-thompson-fabricate-sideline-reports/

To me this is so damaging for future reporters. You have to build trust over time to speak with coaches: 

https://theathletic.com/5064216/2023/11/16/charissa-thompson-sideline-comments-laura-okmin/

@NewColtsFan as someone with media experience, what are your thoughts on this? 

Context 

because, A, the coach wouldn’t come out at halftime, or it was too late and … I didn’t want to screw up the report, so I was like, ‘I’m just going to make this up.’”

Thompson, 41, added that she assumed that “no coach is going to get mad” if she misled viewers into thinking they had simply voiced some well-worn clichés, such as, “Hey, we need to stop hurting ourselves, we need to be better on third down, we need to stop turning the ball over and do a better job of getting off the field.”

Not all coaches like to spend time other than trying to mutter few words while hurrying to the locker room, and it's rarely interesting anyway.

I don't see a point in making reporters to come up with some news from the locker room unless there's an injury update or something that coaches or team themselves wanted to share.

The broadcasting has become so mundane these days that sideline Reporters are forced to come up with some locker room info at half time, like it's a reality show. 

I'd rather let the coaches and players handle their job without having to speak to reporters or broadcast until the game is over. 

Let Players play. Let coaches coach. Let viewers view. Don't make it sensational, the real sensation and center of attraction should be the game only. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/16/charissa-thompson-fabricate-sideline-reports/

To me this is so damaging for future reporters. You have to build trust over time to speak with coaches: 

https://theathletic.com/5064216/2023/11/16/charissa-thompson-sideline-comments-laura-okmin/

I confess I winced very badly when I read this.  

From what I’ve read this isn’t a trust issue.   That she only did this when the coach was late or busy and couldn’t do the scheduled 1-on-1 to start the second half.   Again that’s what I read.    

And I already know that USA Today says this should be a fireable offense, and that she’s admitted to it before.  

All that said, I think Fox has to suspend her, probably for at least a month, and maybe more.   It’s quickly become a credibility issue for her network.   They can’t do nothing.   I don’t think firing is needed, her intention was good, she didn’t want to burn the coach who didn’t stop to talk to her.   But now it’s about how she has handled this since coming clean has been wrong.   Fox can’t just let this go without taking action.  

She should have discussed this with her producer or even executive producer after the first time it happened.   Let them guide her thru the minefield.   One bad step and ka-boom!    Well, now she’s stepped on it!  

I think there will be stories about this EVERYWHERE today.   it’ll be what I call a brushfire story.    It starts fast and burns hot and quickly. 

Some media will demand she be fired.   Other media will likely fall somewhere close to my view —- suspension but not fired.  

The next time we talk there may be new news about this…..   thanks for asking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I confess I winced very badly when I read this.  

From what I’ve read this isn’t a trust issue.   That she only did this when the coach was late or busy and couldn’t do the scheduled 1-on-1 to start the second half.   Again that’s what I read.    

And I already know that USA Today says this should be a fireable offense, and that she’s admitted to it before.  

All that said, I think Fox has to suspend her, probably for at least a month, and maybe more.   It’s quickly become a credibility issue for her network.   They can’t do nothing.   I don’t think firing is needed, her intention was good, she didn’t want to burn the coach who didn’t stop to talk to her.   But now it’s about how she has handled this since coming clean has been wrong.   Fox can’t just let this go without taking action.  

She should have discussed this with her producer or even executive producer after the first time it happened.   Let them guide her thru the minefield.   One bad step and ka-boom!    Well, now she’s stepped on it!  

I think there will be stories about this EVERYWHERE today.   it’ll be what I call a brushfire story.    It starts fast and burns hot and quickly. 

Some media will demand she be fired.   Other media will likely fall somewhere close to my view —- suspension but not fired.  

The next time we talk there may be new news about this…..   thanks for asking. 

I agree with everything you said. I appreciate your insight my friend!

And it's already spreading faster than a wildfire in California on a windy day... I've seen countless social media posts mocking her since yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Not sure why this surprises anyone, the media makes crap up literally all the time.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree with everything you said. I appreciate your insight my friend!

And it's already spreading faster than a wildfire in California on a windy day... I've seen countless social media posts mocking her since yesterday. 

Well….  Interestingly enough….   Oddly enough…..   I finished my very long post to you and THEN checked both ESPN and NFL.com and what did I find?!?   

Crickets.   Nothing.    Not a word.   Which couldn't be more odd.    You’d think the opposite would happen?    

Honestly it makes me a little fearful for her.   Hope I’m wrong.   Is everyone waiting to hear what Fox will say?    Is Fox talking with the Commissioner?    Things can quickly get very weird when credibility is on the line. 

• Like 2

Yeah, one's job security or insecurity shouldn't ever trump their job ethics and obligations to be honest with their clients, in this case the fans. 

We may not see her on Amazon Prime moving forward too, who knows. I know it is a competitive business but when is it not, in some form or fashion?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  Interestingly enough….   Oddly enough…..   I finished my very long post to you and THEN checked both ESPN and NFL.com and what did I find?!?   

Crickets.   Nothing.    Not a word.   Which couldn't be more odd.    You’d think the opposite would happen?    

Honestly it makes me a little fearful for her.   Hope I’m wrong.   Is everyone waiting to hear what Fox will say?    Is Fox talking with the Commissioner?    Things can quickly get very weird when credibility is on the line. 

It's very weird, and not good. 

Can anyone take her word seriously now after that? 

Peter King and Florio are talking about it. 

• Thanks 1

Her clarification:

It's not a good look, for sure. But if what she meant was 'I would deliver a report based on my observations, rather than based on what the coach said, and in those instances my report was not attributed to the coach or any player,' then that's a different story. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 12:11 PM, Superman said:

Her clarification:

It's not a good look, for sure. But if what she meant was 'I would deliver a report based on my observations, rather than based on what the coach said, and in those instances my report was not attributed to the coach or any player,' then that's a different story. 

She does not sound credible. She is doing damage control.

Has she been terminated yet?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 3:12 AM, sb41champs said:

Honestly - I've thought - for some time - that they should eliminate the "halftime coach interview".  

The coach has better things to do with that time frame than to talk to a "talking head".

Exactly what the broadcast should be.

Don't harass the players and coaches until the game is over.

If the reporter has to come up with an update in sidelines during the game regardless, that's the network's fault. Sensationalist Media's fault. 

Fans don't need these updates, unless it's an important information on injury and such.

Let the game be the Center Stage. 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2023 at 10:42 PM, sb41champs said:

Honestly - I've thought - for some time - that they should eliminate the "halftime coach interview".  

The coach has better things to do with that time frame than to talk to a "talking head".

14 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If the reporter has to come up with an update in sidelines during the game regardless, that's the network's fault. Sensationalist Media's fault. 

Fans don't need these updates, unless it's an important information on injury and such.

I agree, but I thought stuff like this was part of the contract between the media and the league?

In a earlier interview she talked about what she did to Erin Andrews and Erin Andrews said she does the same thing. She said she didn't like the comments the coach said and didn't want to repeat what he said because that would be "throwing him under the bus". So instead of doing her job for her network employer and report what the coach said she decided to protect him from his own words. .....what a Angel LoL. 

Every word out of their mouths and in general all sideline reporters shouldn't be taken seriously. 

I wonder how Amazon is feeling spending Billions to broadcast Thursday games and the face of the broadcast has No Credibility. 

Like Peter King said the public increasing questions the NFL's credibility and Charissa goes and throws gas on the fire! 

Imo, she needs to be fired and people need to also look into Erin Andrews statement.

On 11/18/2023 at 8:51 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I agree.  I fast forward through all that nonsense so I can get to the 2nd half faster.  oh for clarification, I only watch games after they've been recorded because I hate all of the commercials. lol

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 11:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What she did was wrong, but I doubt they fire her. She has been in this business for over decade and from what I have seen, most people like her. I agree with suspending her though. Some in the media tend to like to stretch the truth or even lie/stir things up, nothing new.

To follow this up, I don't think I have once paid attention to what a reporter even says on the sidelines at Halftime and I have watched 1000's of games. lmao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:51 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If JT gets banged up and can’t come back into the game, or any other player for that matter, other than letting a media reporter know, how else can a network broadcasting the game be on top of it? 

They don’t have to hound the coaches, I agree. But the networks probably depend on these quick updates to deem someone questionable, and give us accurate information. There’s a legitimate basis for their role, IMO.

Remember Peyton Manning on the sidelines, after a hit to his thumb after a throw in the most important game of his life then, 2006 AFCCG, asking Sorgi to be ready?? Being on top of these things so that the networks can give us those critical shots and feedback, it’s important. 

I do think there’s a bit of overreaction to their role in general here. As far as Charissa, she should know better, with her words and/or actions.

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If JT gets banged up and can’t come back into the game, or any other player for that matter, other than letting a media reporter know, how else can a network broadcasting the game be on top of it? 

They don’t have to hound the coaches, I agree. But the networks probably depend on these quick updates to deem someone questionable, and give us accurate information. There’s a legitimate basis for their role, IMO.

Remember Peyton Manning on the sidelines, after a hit to his thumb after a throw in the most important game of his life then, 2006 AFCCG, asking Sorgi to be ready?? Being on top of these things so that the networks can give us those critical shots and feedback, it’s important. 

I do think there’s a bit of overreaction to their role in general here. As far as Charissa, she should know better, with her words and/or actions.

Agreed, I did mention 

Which is necessary .

As a Side note, These days, when a player goes out of field and doesn't appear on the field for sometime, fantasy leagues get the update fairly quickly which are useful for minor niggles or non-high profile players that broadcast may sometime ignore.

I think Charissa only said on certain occasions when nothing has been notable and there are no actual conversations with coaches to be had, they make up "blah blah blah"...

I'm sure it happens in all industries that only insiders know. For example, when there's not much going on in weather but weatherman needs to give updates on everyday morning news, they're going to make up "blah blah blah"

It's like adding Soundtrack to Jimmy Kimmel show. "blah blah blah" becomes "ha ha ha". 

Every show does it. Every TV program does something similar to that in their own way. 

When certain things have to be done everyday, but when the broadcast needs to make it a good "presentation" on screen, they make it up one way or another.

It happens in professional setting in meeting rooms, when someone needs to give update everyday, they make up even if the Said outcome may not be ready before the next meeting. 

Charissa just let it out in a podcast in casual conversation. I'm sure every industry has their secrets that they wouldn't want outsiders to know about. 

• Like 2