Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

11 games

Patrick Miller

Gardner Minshew has 11 games to show he can be a starting quarterback and not just the best back up quarterback. I know I’m in the minority, but I think he can do it. I’ll be rooting hard for the guy to succeed! Shane has got to help him out though with better play calling. Going to have to lean on our running backs. Everyone needs to step up. Let’s Gooooooo! 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The mustache has been in the league since 2019. He's now with his 3rd team. 

He wasn't brought here to be a starter. He was brought here to mentor a familiar system and a familiar league to a rook, and maybe hold the fort for a couple games in a season should the rook get injured or concussed.

At this point there is nothing to prove. Some games he will suck. Some games he will be great. Mostly he will be in the middle.

Root all you want. Just temper your expectations, especially because this team is noooo where near competing for a title even in a terrible division once again where the jags should be running away but have yet to. Don't get fooled here.

WE NEED a top 6 pick next year more than we need a mid-road record. 

or Ballard needs to move money around and sign a legit FA.

4 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

or Ballard needs to move money around and sign a legit FA.

Next year will be Ballard’s 8th year.   He’s got a pretty consistent track record on free agency.    2/23 for Justin Houston.  2/20 for Stephan Gilmore.  3/16 for Denico Autry.   3/24-27 for the guy the Colts signed this year from SF.  Ebukam?!?  

Are those guys legit enough for you?  Because if not, then I think you’re going to be disappointed next March/April.   I don’t see the Ballard-Leopard changing his spots.   Ballard will sign mid-price free agents like the ones I’ve listed, but he’s not going to sign an expensive FA.   He doesn’t believe in them and neither does Irsay.    That’s how the Colts do business.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The mustache has been in the league since 2019. He's now with his 3rd team. 

He wasn't brought here to be a starter. He was brought here to mentor a familiar system and a familiar league to a rook, and maybe hold the fort for a couple games in a season should the rook get injured or concussed.

At this point there is nothing to prove. Some games he will suck. Some games he will be great. Mostly he will be in the middle.

Root all you want. Just temper your expectations, especially because this team is noooo where near competing for a title even in a terrible division once again where the jags should be running away but have yet to. Don't get fooled here.

WE NEED a top 6 pick next year more than we need a mid-road record. 

Yes since 2019….Fair enough but he started what…a partial season as a rookie for the jags when Foles went down?  A couple games for the eagles? I’m interested in seeing how he does this year with this squad. 

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Next year will be Ballard’s 8th year.   He’s got a pretty consistent track record on free agency.    2/23 for Justin Houston.  2/20 for Stephan Gilmore.  3/16 for Denico Autry.   3/24-27 for the guy the Colts signed this year from SF.  Ebukam?!?  

Are those guys legit enough for you?  Because if not, then I think you’re going to be disappointed next March/April.   I don’t see the Ballard-Leopard changing his spots.   Ballard will sign mid-price free agents like the ones I’ve listed, but he’s not going to sign an expensive FA.   He doesn’t believe in them and neither does Irsay.    That’s how the Colts do business.  

was just pointing out the options. I also doubt it happens however, having your “franchise QB” might make him consider skillset guys he didn’t before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Gardner Minshew has 11 games to show he can be a starting quarterback and not just the best back up quarterback. I know I’m in the minority, but I think he can do it. I’ll be rooting hard for the guy to succeed! Shane has got to help him out though with better play calling. Going to have to lean on our running backs. Everyone needs to step up. Let’s Gooooooo! 

Its not lacking experience or lack of mental progression that's kept him from being a starting QB...... it lacking high end physical skills that I can tell. In these next 11 games I doubt he's going to show new found athleticism and a big arm. 

• Like 3

I’m still interested in seeing what Sam can do with the full support of the fo and several games with which to make some mistakes and not get yanked.  

minsjew makes 4 tos and he starts the next week

no slight to minshew. Just want to see everybody during this season. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I’m still interested in seeing what Sam can do with the full support of the fo and several games with which to make some mistakes and not get yanked.  

minsjew makes 4 tos and he starts the next week

no slight to minshew. Just want to see everybody during this season. 

Well, Reich did say SamE "has the juice".    :funny:

4 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

If we base our opinion for colts quarterbacks based on how they play in Jacksonville, it'd be a skewed picture. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He did, however, trade a 1st round pick for Buckner, which was unforseen.  He may surprise us, it's possible, but I'm not gonna hold my breathe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well, Reich did say SamE "has the juice".    :funny:

God that was so cringe… Reich is just so out of touch…

17 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Dude was trash on an elite Philly roster last year and fans think he’ll be a franchise qb on a team not as talented as Philly :lol:

Yep. His two starts last year were pretty bad… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

God that was so cringe… Reich is just so out of touch…

Yep. His two starts last year were pretty bad… 

Sorry, Reich wasn’t out of touch.   Ballard and Irsay had just ordered him to start Sam vs New England.   

At his introductory press conference at Carolina, Frank was asked if he was at all surprised to have been fired.  He said no, that management had ordered that Ryan be benched and that Sam be the starter.  Frank said once they take away your ability to decide who the starting quarterback is, getting fired is the very next step. 

For me, back when Ryan was benched for the game vs New England in favor of Sam, Frank gave out a “tell” leading up to the game.   Frank said that week, Sam was making “wow” throws every day in practice.    To me, there was a zero percent chance of that happening.  Sam doesn’t make wow throws.  He plays with brains and guts and moxie.   He doesn’t have the physical tools to make wow throws.   So for me,  that was a clue that Frank had been given his marching orders by Ballard and Irsay and he followed them.  Of course, he was fired right after that game. 

Just wanted to offer some context and a 30,000 foot view. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, Reich wasn’t out of touch.   Ballard and Irsay had just ordered him to start Sam vs New England.   

At his introductory press conference at Carolina, Frank was asked if he was at all surprised to have been fired.  He said no, that management had ordered that Ryan be benched and that Sam be the starter.  Frank said once they take away your ability to decide who the starting quarterback is, getting fired is the very next step. 

For me, back when Ryan was benched for the game vs New England in favor of Sam, Frank gave out a “tell” leading up to the game.   Frank said that week, Sam was making “wow” throws every day in practice.    To me, there was a zero percent chance of that happening.  Sam doesn’t make wow throws.  He plays with brains and guts and moxie.   He doesn’t have the physical tools to make wow throws.   So for me,  that was a clue that Frank had been given his marching orders by Ballard and Irsay and he followed them.  Of course, he was fired right after that game. 

Just wanted to offer some context and a 30,000 foot view. 

My apologies, I should have clarified. I was talking about the way Reich speaks, not his process in personnel (though I think his playbook is very dated - seriously look up the QB School and watch his latest video on Bryce Young). 

"He's got the sauce" would raise plenty of eyebrows with the youngsters of today. It's right at the "bowling ball of butcher knives" kind of level. 

• Thanks 1

With 7 playoff teams and 9-8 as a playoff target, you're never really out of it.  If Minshew returns to who he has been and limits turnovers, they still have a shot at the playoffs.  Some of that is Minshew.  Some of it is Steichen and his play calling, his ability to make in game adjustments. 

If Minshew, however, keeps turning it over, you're toast, and Steichen probably won't hesitate to pull the plug and give Sam a shot.

• Like 1