Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The two teams that made offers probably didn’t meet colts standard of a deal would be done.

Tampering 

That’s not tampering.  The Colts literally told him to go find a trade.  All bets with tampering were off at that point.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

That’s not tampering.  The Colts literally told him to go find a trade.  All bets with tampering were off at that point.

She’s referring to the reports a few weeks ago of Miami talking to JTs agent 

Just now, csmopar said:

She’s referring to the reports a few weeks ago of Miami talking to JTs agent 

Random people saying stuff on twitter is hardly reports.  No legitimate media source reported that.  Given the Colts stance over Luck earlier this off-season if the Colts felt that was going on you can bet your bottom dollar Irsay would have blown the whistle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That isn’t why I said it could be tampering.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Random people saying stuff on twitter is hardly reports.  No legitimate media source reported that.  Given the Colts stance over Luck earlier this off-season if the Colts felt that was going on you can bet your bottom dollar Irsay would have blown the whistle.

As gain that isn’t what I am talking about.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seems his agent has really been pushing him to dolphins. Even way back when Irsay made that tweet. Just seems fishy to me.

Understood, but it kind of doesn't matter unless someone produces some proof. And I doubt that will happen. 

It would be especially laughable for the Colts to grant Taylor permission to talk to other teams, and then try to accuse one of those teams of tampering. If they were going to go down that road, they would have done it a few weeks ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That isn’t why I said it could be tampering.

As gain that isn’t what I am talking about.

Then spell out what you mean because all you did was say Tampering while quoting a report that teams had contracted the Colts about a trade.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wish we knew what the offer is. 

Also like I listed above, I feel there is no doubt Hunt will/would be in the deal. Just my opinion.

Not much else on the roster makes sense to a quick look.

They have a 2nd and a 5th, seems to work nicely.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

Understood, but it kind of doesn't matter unless someone produces some proof. And I doubt that will happen. 

It would be especially laughable for the Colts to grant Taylor permission to talk to other teams, and then try to accuse one of those teams of tampering. If they were going to go down that road, they would have done it a few weeks ago.

Well since Miami had already been caught once it would not surprise me. But your right since colts did grant him permission can’t really prove it now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

Looking at Miami roster, only person that makes sense is Robert Hunt. He is FA next year, doubt they can pay him. Need for us.

Throw in Mostert and pick(s)

2nd

5th

Hunt

Mostert

Taylor

I mean, I like it, but I really doubt we're getting 2 players AND 2 picks.

• Like 1

Report: Colts set Tuesday deadline for Jonathan Taylor trade

Florio and Simms talk about the trade possibilities... They say the only way Miami does the trade is for some "bargain basement" deal

short video here: 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-colts-set-tuesday-deadline-for-jonathan-taylor-trade

Tuesday is cutdown day around the NFL and it is also reportedly the deadline for a trade involving running back Jonathan Taylor to come together..

Dolphins makes no sense to me. I doubt they give us a 1 which means it's a late 2 since their likely gonna be competing deep in the playoffs. Also why make another AFC team better just to net back potentially late second round picks.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd love to see this. It would provide a great test of my theory that there's quickly a diminishing return when you pair a high volume RB with a dominant passer. 

Hey it sometimes works. Elway and the Broncos come to mind in getting over the hump. It’s gotta be all or nothing though for a team to reach the Super Bowl because it won’t last long. 

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

OR...

You're Luck!!!!

Your retirement from the NFL and your new pastime here is no Coincidence, Luck...

I'm sure you enjoyed the house burning down here so much... 

Steve Martin Insult GIF

Bounty Hunter Lol GIF by DefyTV

Nickster is 8 letters multiply that by 2 and the subtract 2 and you get

College Baseball Sport GIF by BYU Cougars

Surprised no one caught that yet.

LOl I got the number wrong.  Subtract 4.

Magic Agencylife GIF by Kochstrasse™

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

Also like I listed above, I feel there is no doubt Hunt will/would be in the deal. Just my opinion.

Not much else on the roster makes sense to a quick look.

They have a 2nd and a 5th, seems to work nicely.

If we got a 2nd and Hunt I'd be doing somersaults... and I can't... like at all... I'd hurt myself... badly... worth it though...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

So 6 teams:

Who do we think they are?

I will break into tiers:

Likely:

Dolphins

Eagles

Bears

Good Chance:

Bills

Vikings

Chiefs 

Six teams!  Beyond my wildest dreams.  All contenders too.  Work the phones Chris.  Do your thing.  Deadlines spur action.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Hey it sometimes works. Elway and the Broncos come to mind in getting over the hump. It’s gotta be all or nothing though for a team to reach the Super Bowl because it won’t last long. 

Has it worked post 1998?? That was 25 years ago.

By the way, I'd argue it didn't work in 1998. Elway was pretty diminished, only threw for 2800 yards, missed three games with injury... He was no longer a dominant passer by then, and Terrell Davis was the league MVP. That's kind of the definition of diminishing returns.

In other words, I want to see a dominant passer and a high volume rusher try to coexist in a top tier offense. Can Patrick Mahomes be his best, and Taylor be his best, at the same time, while producing a great offense? I say no. I think Taylor would get fewer opportunities, be a more moderate producer, and bring into question the value of paying an elite RB when your dominant passer is the engine that makes the offense go.

• Like 2

Just now, richard pallo said:

Six teams!  Beyond my wildest dreams.  All contenders too.  Work the phones Chris.  Do your thing.  Deadlines spur action.  

I don't know that those are the teams, that'sy guess.

Outside dolphins hard to tell who other 5 might be.

Think Chicago has the other offer in, but that's just thoughts in my head. Not from some report or anything.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Trade offer predictions:

Miami - 2nd, 5th, Robert Hunt

Eagles - 2nd(own), 3rd, 5th

Bears - 2nd, 3rd, 5th

Bills - 2nd, James Cook/ or their 1st

Chiefs - 2nd, Edwards Helaire/ or their 1st

Vikings - I won't list this one, but what would our Vikings crew offer? @NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai

Bears have two 1sts I believe.  Could be wrong though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Has it worked post 1998?? That was 25 years ago.

By the way, I'd argue it didn't work in 1998. Elway was pretty diminished, only threw for 2800 yards, missed three games with injury... He was no longer a dominant passer by then, and Terrell Davis was the league MVP. That's kind of the definition of diminishing returns.

In other words, I want to see a dominant passer and a high volume rusher try to coexist in a top tier offense. Can Patrick Mahomes be his best, and Taylor be his best, at the same time, while producing a great offense? I say no. I think Taylor would get fewer opportunities, be a more moderate producer, and bring into question the value of paying an elite RB when your dominant passer is the engine that makes the offense go.

That’s an interesting view and a fair point. John was indeed in his twilight years. 

And… true, it hasn’t really happened since then. 

Perhaps it’s more important to pair a star QB with a dominant and stable defense? 

Just now, w87r said:

Think Chicago has the other offer in, but that's just thoughts in my head. Not from some report or anything.

I’d also say it said six teams called to see about his availability two have made offers.  

those other four might have been how much would it take to get Taylor?  That much?  Too rich for our blood.

I am also guessing the two offers are below what the Colts want or there would be reports that a team has a deal with the Colts pending Taylor agreeing to play and proving he’s healthy.

Not to throw cold water on anything as a deal could absolutely get done but I am just saying use caution until it is done.

• Like 2

I would not be surprised if only contenders are interested.  The contract situation would not be that big of a deal because they could essentially rent JT for probably two seasons depending upon contract terms.  They would also give the Colts the most compensation because 1), they are looking to win-now so giving some future picks is not going to hurt a contender's roster. 2), they could have (unnecessarily) deep talent at any position and could throw in a player.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I’m thinking Carolina . JT fits the Reich offense to a T

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If we got a 2nd and Hunt I'd be doing somersaults... and I can't... like at all... I'd hurt myself... badly... worth it though...

I doubt it would happen, tbh.

By the way, just a general comment, but the Tuesday deadline was inherent. The Colts either have to trade Taylor, activate him, or put him on PUP for four weeks (and he can't be traded while on regular season PUP). For the Colts, the math changes dramatically at that point, because then it starts affecting their roster strategy and their leverage. So they'll shut down the free-for-all if nothing is agreed to by then, which makes perfect sense and is what we've been saying in this thread since yesterday afternoon.

They could still trade him after Tuesday, though. Assuming he's not on PUP.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Trade offer predictions:

Miami - 2nd, 5th, Robert Hunt

Eagles - 2nd(own), 3rd, 5th

Bears - 2nd, 3rd, 5th

Bills - 2nd, James Cook/ or their 1st

Chiefs - 2nd, Edwards Helaire/ or their 1st

Vikings - I won't list this one, but what would our Vikings crew offer? @NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai

Would they be willing to trade Hunt.

Bears have two 1sts I believe.  Could be wrong though.

Yeah but it's theirs and Carolina's.

I don't see them moving them for Taylor. Now if some other pieces were added? IDK?

Kenny Moore(FA next year)

Shaq

Grover(FA next year)

3rd rounder coming back from us 

How about:

Bears - Taylor, Moore, 2025 3rd

Colts - 1st(Car)

?

Would own the pick if Frank and Young struggle down there. Lol.

I'm calling my shot. I think JT will end up with the Commanders.

We might get Chase Young, Gibson, and some picks back. 

Commanders make sense because of new ownership, rookie QB essentially, fans are already pumped in the DMV. Bringing in Taylor to go along with a Bienemy offense makes a lot of sense to me. 

JT with Howell, McLaurin, Dohtson, and Thomas if he can stay healthy and an adequate defense will vault them past the G-Men and put them squarely in contention with the boys and the eggles...

Just my :2c:

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

I doubt it would happen, tbh.

By the way, just a general comment, but the Tuesday deadline was inherent. The Colts either have to trade Taylor, activate him, or put him on PUP for four weeks (and he can't be traded while on regular season PUP). For the Colts, the math changes dramatically at that point, because then it starts affecting their roster strategy and their leverage. So they'll shut down the free-for-all if nothing is agreed to by then, which makes perfect sense and is what we've been saying in this thread since yesterday afternoon.

They could still trade him after Tuesday, though. Assuming he's not on PUP.

The somersaults?.. I do too. haha

I honestly didn't believe anyone would give the Colts an offer they'd seriously consider on top of giving JT an offer he'd consider. We'll see how it plays out though.

• Like 1