Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The thing is trams might be willing to offer the colts good draft picks but not if they also have to sign him to a extension. So we will see but one side is not going yo get what they want. This entire situation is just sad. 

I'm not too worried about the extension part. All I care about is the compensation in return.

Let the team trading for him worry about that. If they are trading for him they probably looking at an extension offer anyway. Just need to get it for the number they like and he has to settle for. If he can pull $10-$12m offer he better sign it, if he wants some security.

Franchise Tag(next year) is guaranteed once it's signed, but if he gets hurt that money is likely gone. So it would be wise to take the security now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I'm not too worried about the extension part. All I care about is the compensation in return.

Let the team trading for him worry about that. If they are trading for him they probably looking at an extension offer anyway. Just need to get it for the number they like and he has to settle for. If he can pull $10-$12m offer he better sign it, if he wants some security.

Franchise Tag(next year) is guaranteed once it's signed, but if he gets hurt that money is likely gone. So it would be wise to take the security now.

Yeah but is he going to agree to a trade with no extension. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The thing is trams might be willing to offer the colts good draft picks but not if they also have to sign him to a extension. So we will see but one side is not going yo get what they want. This entire situation is just sad. 

I agree but JT didn't feel disrespect until he signed with a new agent. 

Espn and a couple of others want to get their hits by pointing a finger at Irsay when his history shows he pays his players that earn it. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have ragged on Irsay and Ballard for as long as i remember reading your comments about them. I'm not sure you are a fan of the Colts or not?

I really think you love to find things to whine about no matter what goes on.  I 

I love Irsay as an owner. I think he loves his team, but he needs to step aside and let Ballard run it. Sink or swim, and the last  2 years have seen Irsay turn into the Jerry Jones of the AFC. Yes, I have been hard on Ballard. He had some things to deal with along the way, but u r what your record says u r!!!!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 3:25 PM, w87r said:

I would offer him a 4yr deal $48m, $10m SB with first 2 years guaranteed.

Contract look something like this.

2023 - $6,304,000 base, $2,813,482 SB, $9,117,482 total cap hit 

2024 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2025 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2026 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit

2027 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit 

That is $12m more in his pocket this season($10m SB, $2m base salary bump) $17.1m total with current remaining deal, we can use this year to bring down the average AAV of 24-27 to $11m per year.

All money 23-25 guaranteed

This is a good faith contract for Taylor and protects himself in case of injury this season or next.

If he wants more, tag em. Unless it's just a little more. I think this is a good compromise though, if he wants to see the end of the deal.

This takes him to his 28 year old season, Colts can get out of deal in 2026 and save $6m if it was needed(performance, injury, need cap room)

Nothing, nada not a penny more. He plays for 4 million and we see at the end of the season.

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may very well be right in the rumors but I don't believe much that ESPN has to say about the Colts.  The Colts have been  ESPNs favorite whipping boys for a while now. 

So did you believe ESPN when they broke the news that the Colts have agreed to allow JT to seek a trade? 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I think the Colts are not really interested in trading JT. They would take an offer they couldn't refuse but imo his value is not what he thinks it is.  Irsay and Ballard knows this and gave him permission because they both know it's highly unlikely a trade would happen. 

Taylor doesn’t care what his trade value is…just his contract value. If a team is willing to pay him 15 million for a couple years even if the offer is only a 5th rd pick he takes that back to the Colts and if they won’t make the trade or match the contract then it looks like the Colts are low balling him and it makes the Colts look bad. Might not change anything at all but in the media it puts pressure on the organization to make a trade or pay the man what his market value is. Certainly can send a chilling effect for players who might worry about playing for the Colts and how we handle our contract extensions. Again it might not change anything at all but I think it was a mistake to let him seek a trade. Move him or not it’s likely the Colts are going to continue to get bad press and the organization look worse. That might not bother them but the teams reputation will certainly take a hit. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has no say if he gets traded. 

I think if he is traded and they can't agree to an extension, he will get a bump in pay this year and he will be fine. 

Probably play for the $4.3m as long as it's not here. He will play for it here too, if we really want him to.

• Like 3

If bears gave us one of their firsts next year you take that and run.

U r never getting a 1st for Taylor.  I sense this could aimilar to Lamar. Thr other teams knew that Baltimore was using the rest of the NFL in negotiating with the Lamar. Plus teams maybe don't want to reward a player who wants more money and is basically bullying his way out of town. Remember teams can offer them say a 3rd or a 4th. However, they can go back to Taylor and say see u  ain't worth what u r asking and u r staying put!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Taylor doesn’t care what his trade value is…just his contract value. If a team is willing to pay him 15 million for a couple years even if the offer is only a 5th rd pick he takes that back to the Colts and if they won’t make the trade or match the contract then it looks like the Colts are low balling him and it makes the Colts look bad. Might not change anything at all but in the media it puts pressure on the organization to make a trade or pay the man what his market value is. Certainly can send a chilling effect for players who might worry about playing for the Colts and how we handle our contract extensions. Again it might not change anything at all but I think it was a mistake to let him seek a trade. Move him or not it’s likely the Colts are going to continue to get bad press and the organization look worse. That might not bother them but the teams reputation will certainly take a hit. 

I doubt that Irsay or Ballard gives a rats behind what espn or their pundits have to say.  

The owners will back Irsay in his firmness in honoring the CBA. It protects them all in the bigger picture. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have to agree to the trade. He asked for it, Colts can send him wherever for whatever.

But I highly doubt any team is calling to offer trade compensation without being willing to offer him a contract. And I’m 99% sure that if teams are offering/discussing trade compensation to the Colts, they know exactly what type of $ JT wants.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It would be funny if colts were offered such good picks for Taylor they trade him without an extension and let the other team deal with that. It would make Taylor look really bad. He will have ended up getting nothing out of it but a tarnished reputation.

Chloe,

How many times you spend $100 for absolutely nothing at all? Now why would any NFL team do that? The team will not, I repeat a team will not send the Colts the paper to write the trade agreement on before first having assurances from Taylor that he will sign what ever contract they are willing to offer him.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Chloe,

How many times you spend $100 for absolutely nothing at all? Now why would any NFL team do that? The team will not, I repeat a team will not send the Colts the paper to write the trade agreement on before first having assurances from Taylor that he will sign what ever contract they are willing to offer him.

Taylor doesn’t have a choice. If colts decide the picks are good they can trade him and let the other team deal with it. Colts can trade him even if the other team has no extension in place.

Taylor doesn’t have a choice. If colts decide the picks are good they can trade him and let the other team deal with it. Colts can trade him even if the other team has no extension in place.

This is true. I believe I stated as much in a response to you earlier. 

Two things:

1. Let’s just use the Dolphins as an example. Why in the world would they reach out to the Colts about trading for JT before they talk to JT(his agent) and know what type of contract he is willing to sign? That was the significance of the Colts granting JT permission to seek a trade…his agent could begin discussing JT’s contractual desires with other teams. 

It would be more risk than teams are willing to take on to do it any other way. First having to meet whatever compensation the Colts request before even knowing what JT wants would be a non-starter for any team. We still don’t even know what JT wants (I know all the “reports”). But the Colt’s, JT, and his agent are the only one’s who know. If a team was talking to JT’s agent about his contract prior to the Colt’s granting them permission, well that would be tampering.

2. Does doing that to JT sound like anything even remotely close to the Chris Ballard or Jim Irsay you’ve seen? Because it sure doesn’t to me. In fact, doing something like this would absolutely destroy the Colts reputation with ALL players past, present, and future. That is not good business. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

He has no say if he gets traded. 

I think if he is traded and they can't agree to an extension, he will get a bump in pay this year and he will be fine. 

Probably play for the $4.3m as long as it's not here. He will play for it here too, if we really want him to.

Yeah but it’s possible the team that trades for him won’t do it if they know he’s just going to bolt in free agency.  When the Colts told Taylor he could seek a trade they pretty much opened the door for legal tampering.

Either way no team will trade for him unless they know he’s healthy (which seems like a forgone conclusion right now which seems like the ankle thing is a scam that I think most feel it is) and that he’s going to play for them.  So if Taylor won’t play without a deal that means they would have to work something out before a trade is done not unlike the Colts did with Buckner.

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trying to clarify my comments another way:

JT doesn’t have a say in where he is traded to, just like he doesn’t have a say in playing for the Colts this year or not. His only “say” is to hold out. So in that sense, he can’t stop the Colts from trading him. Unless a player has it in their contract otherwise, this will always be the case. 

On that same hand, no team is going to be willing to trade him without first having assurance that he will in fact sign their contract and play for them…otherwise they would have given the Colts compensation to be in their exact position. Non-starter. 

So IF the reports of trade compensation being discussed are true, it’s most likely the same talks teams are having with JT’s agent (years, avg., guaranteed amount, etc.). Everyone already knew that JT wanted to be the highest paid RB (or close to it, whatever) and teams have “heard” the Colts want a 1st round pick or equivalent value. Now teams are discussing with JT’s agent what highest paid RB looks like to him exactly. Teams are also asking the Colts what 1st round pick or equivalent looks like to them exactly. 

This is where it’ll get tricky. But if a trade is finalized, all of this will be worked out and essentially final prior to it being announced and before JT does a physical with the new team. If any of the agreed to terms aren’t met, it all falls through. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts never offered. They wanted to see him healthy first before anything was offered.

No reason to write up an offer if you are several million apart. Offers are done late in contract extensions when most everything is agreed upon and they need to just go over the language of the contract.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I think the Colts are not really interested in trading JT. They would take an offer they couldn't refuse but imo his value is not what he thinks it is.  Irsay and Ballard knows this and gave him permission because they both know it's highly unlikely a trade would happen. 

Exactly JT has himself valued too high by allowing him to see how others value him, he can hopefully see that he isn't gonna get it and he will sign something more reasonable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

No reason to write up an offer if you are several million apart. Offers are done late in contract extensions when most everything is agreed upon and they need to just go over the language of the contract.

Exactly JT has himself valued too high by allowing him to see how others value him, he can hopefully see that he isn't gonna get it and he will sign something more reasonable.

I think some Colts fans still think the Colts are trying to extend Taylor right now.  That’s not going on.  The Colts want him to play under his current contract and if he performs and is healthy then they will engage in contract talks.

Yes I do think the Colts are hoping Taylor sees the value he wants isn’t out there and no one will match their price tag but I don’t think it’s going to lead to new contract with Colts.  At least not right now.  The most it will lead too is Taylor realizing he’s not going to get what he wants so his best option is to suit up and play and try to increase his value that way.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colts.sb41 said:

If Taylor gets traded my gut says he goes to Carolina. We all know how Frank feels about getting some of his old guys back. I’m not sure on what draft picks they have left after trading up to #1 last year though?

Not sure if you were being serious or not, but I feel like I’ve seen Carolina mentioned by some. I truly don’t get that, I feel like Frank misused JT tremendously. I am the only one who remembers the Bucs game a few years ago or the Hard Knocks episode after? Maybe it’s just me but Carolina seems like one of the least likely options. 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

What I like to hear

If this is true, and I am not saying it’s not or that it is, I think it’s important to ask who is leaking this stuff and why they might be doing it?

I think it’s fairly obvious that a team trying to trade for Taylor isn’t going to leak it because they aren’t going to want the value to go up.

I don’t think it’s the Colts because I don’t think they really want to trade Taylor and they have been pretty tightlipped about this whole thing other than a few Irsay tweets that lead to information coming out that had already happened several weeks ago.  So the Colts can keep things quiet.

That leaves Taylor’s camp.  I think they might be leaking it because the value isn’t there and they are trying to scare another team into over bidding to get to the Colts asking price.

I could be 100% wrong about that but I think it’s worth considering.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

You are essentially saying that posters' negative comments are being driven by negative bias and not objectivity. 

4 and 12, and the Colts generally underperforming expectations season after season, would suggest that coming to the forum with positive bias is rather futile. 

First and foremost I wasn’t talking about you.

Second that’s not what I was saying.  There is a difference in being negative because things are bad and talking about those things and just being negative all the time and refusing to acknowledge anything positive that might contradict that.  The first I have no problem with.  That’s normal and is going to happen.  

Third I never said anyone had to come here and be positive all the time.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

This morning I read an article from Miami Herold regarding JT to Dolphins. They mentioned how strapped the Phins are with the salary cap. I suppose it's possible Miami pulls off a trade, but it seems very difficult for them financially.

I don’t think Miami is thinking about next year right now.  They will deal with it when they get there.  They are trying to keep up in an arms race in the AFC east to try to win this year.  One can argue if that is a smart strategy or not but I think that’s what they are doing.

• Like 3

This JT drama came a season early and is filled with much more drama than I expected, but it was always just around corner. 

I like JT a lot but I was prepared to see him leave as soon as he was drafted. I was actually worried the Colts would reset the RB market for him (prior to a few weeks ago) just because I absolutely take Ballard at his word and he has never gave any impression otherwise. JT might actually be giving the Colts a huge gift. Imagine if teams could always:

1. Draft a potential future HOF RB and use him on his RB contract

2. Recoup the draft capital spent on him and possibly more

3. Avoid paying him guaranteed franchise tag money or a 2nd contract during the risky years

4. Avoid being the villain and labeled as the team that churned & burned a star RB or don’t care for their players. 

If Ballard gets a 1st for Taylor and doesn’t win GM of the year, that voting is as meaningless as the pro-bowl! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I still believe there’s a 90% chance Taylor resigns with us. Taylor and the team were very far apart on compensation, so they are allowing him to see what he can get elsewhere. The Chargers did the exact same thing with Ekeler. 

The difference is... the Chargers had actually offered him a contract before he requested a trade. The Colts to my knowledge still haven't made him an offer. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

The difference is... the Chargers had actually offered him a contract before he requested a trade. The Colts to my knowledge still haven't made him an offer. 

I'm not exactly sure but if the Chargers offered Ekeler a contract without his teams permission I think it's called tampering.  ??

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not exactly sure but if the Chargers offered Ekeler a contract without his teams permission I think it's called tampering.  ??

The Chargers were Ekeler's team. They can offer contract/extension any time they want. 

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I love Irsay as an owner. I think he loves his team, but he needs to step aside and let Ballard run it. Sink or swim, and the last  2 years have seen Irsay turn into the Jerry Jones of the AFC. Yes, I have been hard on Ballard. He had some things to deal with along the way, but u r what your record says u r!!!!

See moose I disagree with you here.  I’m not an Irsay fan.  I think his live clouds his judgement.  

But I’m not going to question your integrity over it buddy lol.