Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

To me this sounds like JT has been annoyed as the savior of the RB market and he’s trying to do just that. Ultimately, I don’t think he succeeds 

He's definitely annoyed me. Lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That too. That is what JT doesn't realize, he has 0 leverage. I think JT is a great player and deserves a reasonably good contract extension (which I have posted) but if he is going to be a distraction, we don't need that. 

Distraction wise, I don’t think it matters. At least this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I did not know this. Taylor’s first agent is  being sued for mail practice. Taylor sure knows how to pick agents. Lol

He may again when JT realizes no teams will trade for him 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I did not know this. Taylor’s first agent is  being sued for mail practice. Taylor sure knows how to pick agents. Lol

He's well on his way to join that law suit in a year time... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, he just had zoom call, and they were all counting on him to turn the tides for RBs.

All 3 current guys will have failed.

Barkley - took franchise number + tough incentives

Taylor - yeah

Cook - Rumors were $9m Jets offer

None of that helped or will help the RB situation 

Perhaps the RB meeting came up with JT being the best man up, with the right owner and team history to reestablish their value.

Irsay has been most firm representing the opposition. lol

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To me this sounds like JT has been annoyed as the savior of the RB market and he’s trying to do just that. Ultimately, I don’t think he succeeds 

**Anointed

That's why I put he annoyed me. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is no 1 player bigger than the franchise unless you have a QB like Peyton Manning and that is 1 in a million. 

Peyton wasn’t even bigger than the franchise, remember the Colts ultimately released him.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Or they could not trade him, franchise tag him for the nest 3 years and let him rot on the bench. 

Are you suggesting what former NFL RB Matt Forte is advising?

Forte’s advice for young running backs is know your worth and don’t be afraid to play rough when it comes to your money.

“And if they franchise you, you use that leverage. You sign a franchise deal and you sit out. So they pay you $10 million, $12 million for zero production. And I bet you they’ll stop franchising guys.”

I don't agree but I also disagree with all the folks who believe that RBs are so dispensable and have little value. If a team uses draft capital on RBs, RBs must have some value. Maybe folks mean they have little value after 3 or 4 years in the league??

I don't agree with trading a player who requests a trade. These types of trades usually don't serve the team well. The Colts should keep JT. He will eventually play. It is his career.

All sides should negotiate in good faith. I don't think that agent helps to do that.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Are you suggesting what former NFL RB Matt Forte is advising?

I don't agree but I also disagree with all the folks who believe that RBs are so dispensable and have little value. If a team uses draft capital on RBs, RBs must have some value. Maybe folks mean they have little value after 3 or 4 years in the league??

I don't agree with trading a player who request a trade. These types of trades usually don't serve the team well. The Colts should keep JT. He will eventually play. It is his career.

Yes they don’t want to pay second contracts. One reason is there is always a surplus in running backs every draft.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts need to look into tampering. Remember dolphins have already got in trouble with tampering.

Fans in twitter saying he should try to get a trade to Miami and Taylor’s agent liking those tweets is hardly tampering.

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It seems that way to me too. The other RB's look at him at probably being the best RB in the league so maybe he could set some kind of market?? I don't see it working though. JT may be flattered by the whole idea and may even feel he is letting other RB's down if he doesn't set a market, but doesn't realize he has 0 leverage in reality.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Fans in twitter saying he should try to get a trade to Miami and Taylor’s agent liking those tweets is hardly tampering.

That agent is not helping JT at all. I wonder if he has other clients in the league? In the past, Drew Rosenhaus was viewed as the agent teams and fans hated. JT's agent is much worse. He does not comport himself like someone who is representing professionals.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, but what does it take for some fans to realize that there is a very contentious possibly irrevocably fractious relationship between the Colts and Taylor?

I think one might be able to find that on the internets too?

Doesn't matter. No one is going to one trade away assets for a RB and two willing to give the type of money JT wants. 

I don't get this fascination with his agent and Miami? Miami will be lucky to even make the playoffs. Bills and Jets both are better than they are and those 2 are in the same division. Maybe his agent loves the women in bikinis down there and 100 degree weather. 

If his agent wanted him to go to another team, I would choose the Bills or Jets way before Miami, they have great QB's.

2 hours ago, w87r said:
2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but Gregg Doyel really took JT and his agent apart in a recent column. The agent takes a lot of heat from Doyel, but as posters here have said: JT is the one letting his new agent have so much freedom. In any case, it’s sad to see such a player’s rep and popularity in free fall like this. 

Yeah read that a little bit ago.

Usually can't stand Doyle, but that article was decent.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/07/29/colts-rb-jonathan-taylor-requests-trade-upon-bad-advice-from-agent/70493644007/

I’m not a fan of Doyle either but this was a good one.  

Although I don’t understand the focus on the agents name.  Seemed odd and out of touch.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

This has been a huge DUH. 

If you analyze SS based upon what he did in Philly, I don't see SS wanting the offensive side's salary cap paying a star RB.

Even Philly/Rosman/Sirani let Sanders sign elsewhere...right after they had enough success with him to go to the SB.  

JT can't Earn these big projected salaries. He is not a complete player.. Anyone that believes he will lead a team to the SB has untrustworthy judgement. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That agent is not helping JT at all. I wonder if he has other clients in the league? In the past, Drew Rosenhaus was viewed as the agent teams and fans hated. JT's agent is much worse. He does not comport himself like someone who is representing professionals.

Being an agent requires navigating dangerous waters, and Malki Kawa is running the rapids without a helmet. The framework in which negotiations take place is more constrained than most people (including players, owners and agents) want to admit. Finding the right balance between competing interests isn't pretty - like watching sausage being made. There are tipping points, at which one side decides the alternatives are better than the other. It seems we may have arrived at that point. Sad, because I always liked Taylor.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

His agent also represents Leonard.

9 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

The Colts shouldn’t do any favors for Taylor or that agent of his when it comes to trades.If I’m the Colts let him sit out the year and see where that gets them both(nowhere).

If he is "injured" all year,  it will get him 4 million dollars for nothing and the Colts probably don't tag him.   He will be a free agent and get a prove it deal somewhere 

• Like 2

Here is the thing I dont understand. YES the Colts could have extended JT this year if they wanted to in a "good faith move" and had he been more injury free/had a better season last year they might have. But he didnt/they didnt. So he had this season to establish his "future contract worth" by producing and staying healthy. At which time the Colts "may" have made him a reasonable extension depending on AR's development and other factors. Ballard has a history of paying premium for non premium positions so its possible. So I have to ask what happened to escalate this confrontation/timeline because it seems pre-mature on both sides part to be at odds this year.............I figured we would have JT this season and face all this mumbo jumbo at this time next year....I dont understand why the pre-emptive hostilities.......

I continue returning to this Dolphins thing... that agent is either really stupid and reckless or he's conniving and reckless... 

It's really really weird seeing his likes of suggestions for JT getting traded to the Dolphins. 

Those are ALL tweets that Malki Kawa has liked since this whole fiasco started. He has not liked any tweets suggesting any other team trade for him. We know the Dolphins tampered with Brady before. Is it really beyond belief they would do it again? If I'm the Colts I would be monitoring this one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I continue returning to this Dolphins thing... that agent is either really stupid and reckless or he's conniving and reckless... 

It's really really weird seeing his likes of suggestions for JT getting traded to the Dolphins. 

Those are ALL tweets that Malki Kawa has liked since this whole fiasco started. He has not likeNONE suggesting any other team traded for him. We know the Dolphins tampered with Brady before. Is it really beyond belief they would do it again? If I'm the Colts I would be monitoring this one. 

Well his agent blew that one because I know one place we will never trade him too now and that is Miami chuckling homer simpson GIF. Irsay has to be laughing his rear off. 

We will trade him to Miami for a 1st round pick and Hill, that is my deal.

10 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Being an agent requires navigating dangerous waters, and Malki Kawa is running the rapids without a helmet. The framework in which negotiations take place is more constrained than most people (including players, owners and agents) want to admit. Finding the right balance between competing interests isn't pretty - like watching sausage being made. There are tipping points, at which one side decides the alternatives are better than the other. It seems we may have arrived at that point. Sad, because I always liked Taylor.

The agent seems to be in over his head. It looks like he is playing hardball to impress other players who may need an agent and believe that this is the way to do business. I think he is doing JT a disservice. JT should consult with someone like former Giants RB Ottis Anderson who helped influence Barkley to sign and report to camp.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/23/ottis-anderson-worries-giants-saquon-barkley-didnt-make-correct-contract-decision/amp/

That’s what’s scary about negotiating and listening to people in your corner... But there comes a point in time where you got to man up and make your own decision. You had money on the table, more than you got now, now you got less, now you might not play at all, so now what happens?’’

You don’t want them to let somebody else in that front door because those kids are hungry too and they’re getting a lot less money than you’re getting.

• Like 2