Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I honestly wish I could feel more for these guys demanding money… but I just can’t. For most of us lower life beings when we ask for more money we’re told to just get a different job and leave our profession… it’s getting really friggin’ hard to live right now with how expensive literally everything is. 

So I guess JT should just get a different job if he wants more money /sarcasm… or maybe not…

All about the market. Which JT and agent don't seem to understand well.

In my instance I was the ONLY it guy in my company I asked for more, they low balled me so I said I go elsewhere. They didn't want to lose their only IT guy with no backup so they paid me. Would be totally different position if I was just 1 of 10 Project Managers they would've let me walk.

I feel that's a good comparison, if this was Pittman demanding I think it'd be different. Are Wrs more valuable than RBs?

In all honesty I think this year is just proving young football won't strive to be RBs 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sounds like a point being made against the idea of an individual being indispensable.  Next man up Jonathan. Kelly, Kenny...

I'm very impressed with all things Jonathan and wish him as much guaranteed $$ as he can get. I agree that this is the right time for him to go for the GOLD.

Our Colts have that Legacy of watching Manning and Luck walk out the door with a cool $25M ish for no services rendered.

All wise players get its just business.

Except Irsay will claim, at some point, that AR is indispensable.  All saviors are treated that way.  You can see where this is heading.

There can only be one superstar handling the ball.  Pick one and weed the others out, rotating them in and out on their single contracts as needed.  

It makes more sense to have that guy be the QB.  Instead of having that guy be the RB and rotating QBs in and out every year like we've done.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Interesting.  I thought JT was a poor fit for SSs offense the day SS was hired.  I questioned JTs role because SS has not had a premium down hill runner as the feature.  

Its early, but does Hull look a little like Ekelar?  Hull was drafted by SS.  Hmmmm.

I think JT knows he's not a great fit, but injury kept him from being traded and made any discussions moot.  Wait to be healed, then pursue strategy for getting paid and used in a O he can earn his money in.

Sorry Homers, this turn of events is not surprising, and actually expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

While I agree it’s tiresome, I don’t feel it’s crap or nonsense. JT knows we could easily use up the last great years of his career. If it goes as planned AR blossoms into a franchise QB and JT is sent packing with his best years behind him. It’s fun to us but business to these players. 

What would you do if in JTs position?  Think of it like a player. You could earn 4-15m the next two years or try to ink a contract that gets you 24-32m?  If he is injured this year he doesn’t get the franchise tag and faces being offered prove it deals. If he returns to form he is tagged and gets another 11-12m and then again faces injury risk. 

As a fan I’m with you and I want him to shut up and play so we can get this team back on track. Looking at it objectively though, I get JT wants maximize his earning potential bc there is a lot at risk here. 

I am already on record saying JT deserves something like 39 Million over 3 years. That is 13 Million a year and a nice guarantee of 25 Million or so. That is a hell of a contract. So I see JT's side of it but if he is wanting something like 16 or 17 Mill a year than I can see Irsay's side of it because that is way too much. There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Interesting.  I thought JT was a poor fit for SSs offense the day SS was hired.  I questioned JTs role because SS has not had a premium down hill runner as the feature.  

Its early, but does Hull look a little like Ekelar?  Hull was drafted by SS.  Hmmmm.

I think JT knows he's not a great fit, but injury kept him from being traded and made any discussions moot.  Wait to be healed, then pursue strategy for getting paid and used in a O he can earn his money in.

Sorry Homers, this turn of events is not surprising, and actually expected.

Homer Blank Stare GIF by MOODMAN- I seen this coming a mile away. I even posted this would happen before it happened, and it happened a day later lmao 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This has been a huge DUH. 

If you analyze SS based upon what he did in Philly, I don't see SS wanting the offensive side's salary cap paying a star RB.

Even Philly/Rosman/Sirani let Sanders sign elsewhere...right after they had enough success with him to go to the SB.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps…..

But this team may very well be ready for the playoffs next year.   And any playoff caliber team is far better WITH JT than without him.  

I think the JT decision is a 2-3 year decision because this might be a quick turnaround.   If we have to move on from him then so be it.   But I’d prefer to find a way to compromise and keep him.  

I think a 12 million a year offer is reasonable. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will be real curious to see what the Jets give him if the Jets to bring him aboard. I think JT is better but it is real close, 

This is 100% correct.  JT is a big play threat.  He would fit right in to a contending team.  He would be that extra offensive threat that would make an existing well rounded offense that much more threatening for defenses to game plan for.  And burn defenses if they are too busy accounting for other offensive elements.

RBs are short lived, and the NFL market should force the good ones to go to contending teams to maximize their value in the short time they have it.

In addition to being a poor fit for SS, JT should not be on a rebuilding team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Then he got another $27M the next two years he came back from the jets before he was done. And he was never the same player. 

so he got his money in the end but probably could have earned a lot more just staying put and continuing down the path he was on. 

He did lose $14.5m for sitting out the year.

So essentially his $27m turns to $12.5m more.

Ruined his career

6 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

He needs to go the saquon route and just show up and maybe even ask for a little more guaranteed this year. Saquon got like an extra $1M.

It isn't what it seems. They have to make the playoffs as well as hit the stats incentive, to get the extra money ($909k)

From Spotrac:

Contract Notes:

2023 Incentives, $303,000 each for
1,350 rushing yards + playoff berth
11 total touchdowns + playoff berth
65 receptions + playoff berth

I don't think it's a walk in the park

Barkley at least did the right thing. Wish Taylor would have an epiphany too.

Barkley did take away some leverage though. Since he got a SB with 1yr deal instead of tag, he won't be able to play hard ball if they make the playoffs. He would be eligible for a new deal after they make playoffs and could threaten to not play in playoffs without new deal. Now if he does that, he is at risk if losing the $2m SB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

He did lose $14.5m for sitting out the year.

So essentially his $27m turns to $12.5m more.

Ruined his career

It isn't what it seems. They have to make the playoffs as well as hit the stats incentive, to get the extra money ($909k)

From Spotrac:

Contract Notes:

2023 Incentives, $303,000 each for
1,350 rushing yards + playoff berth
11 total touchdowns + playoff berth
65 receptions + playoff berth

I don't think it's a walk in the park

Barkley at least did the right thing. Wish Taylor would have an epiphany too.

Barkley did take away some leverage though. Since he got a SB with 1yr deal instead of tag, he won't be able to play hard ball if they make the playoffs. He would be eligible for a new deal after they make playoffs and could threaten to not play in playoffs without new deal. Now if he does that, he is at risk if losing the $2m SB.

Maybe something will happen this week where JT and Irsay just both come to their senses. I am not holding my breath though lmao 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe something will happen this week where JT and Irsay just both come to their senses. I am not holding my breath though lmao 

I’d pay him 13. Isn’t this supposedly over wanting a contract extension? First time he gets hurt and he asks for 16 million. I don’t think it’s out of the equation that the Colts do want to re-sign him after his contract is up, they just don’t want to do the extension. 

I also don’t think Irsay said no to a re-sign. He said he wanted traded but what all was that in accordance to? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I’d pay him 13. Isn’t this supposedly over wanting a contract extension? First time he gets hurt and he asks for 16 million. I don’t think it’s out of the equation that the Colts do want to re-sign him after his contract is up, they just don’t want to do the extension. 

That is true, a huge question is, what if we give him 13 million a year for 3 years = 39 Million before this season and then he gets seriously injured this season. That would really suck.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is true, a huge question is, what if we give him 13 million a year for 3 years = 39 Million before this season and then he gets seriously injured this season. That would really suck.

anyone can get hurt like that. Who are we dealing with? The guy who loves the sport? Or the guy who wants to get the bag to set his family up? There is nothing wrong with either perse, but you know the guy who is in it for the love of the game isn’t going to fall off after getting paid. 

just because it’s the NFL doesn’t mean it’s not just a job. I don’t know JT personally though. So I don’t know which guy he is. 

Just now, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

anyone can get hurt like that. Who are we dealing with? The guy who loves the sport? Or the guy who wants to get the bag to set his family up? There is nothing wrong with either perse, but you know the guy who is in it for the love of the game isn’t going to fall off after getting paid. 

just because it’s the NFL doesn’t mean it’s not just a job. I don’t know JT personally though. So I don’t know which guy he is. 

I don't know him either. JT has always came off as a great guy and a guy that loves the game. I have never heard anyone here in Indy say a bad thing about the guy. We really don't know though. I will go way back to Emmitt Smith, he wanted his money which he should have but he definitely loved the game. The guy was playing with separated shoulders and pulled hamstrings in big games. He loved the game, wanted the records, and was about winning. He left his body on the field. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am already on record saying JT deserves something like 39 Million over 3 years. That is 13 Million a year and a nice guarantee of 25 Million or so. That is a hell of a contract. So I see JT's side of it but if he is wanting something like 16 or 17 Mill a year than I can see Irsay's side of it because that is way too much. There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

I won’t disagree with you on the numbers, but JT is under contract for this upcoming year and now he has shown himself as somebody that does not honour the spirit of his contractual obligation.   He has basically now tanked his career in the name of greed and stupidity.  I have gone from being a huge JT fan to now loathing him.

Bleacher report gave mock trades for JT  and most trades involved getting a 2024 2nd rounder back. At this point I would take an early 2nd back from a team like LA Rams or the Bears who the HC has ties with. Then go out and sign a FA RB like Cook. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Meh, I didn't think this was a good article. Strong on pathos, very weak on substantive arguments. And there are tons of substantive arguments to be made in this whole situation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Meh, I didn't think this was a good article. Strong on pathos, very weak on substantive arguments. And there are tons of substantive arguments to be made in this whole situation. 

Yeah started off decent and ended weak.

I only classified it as decent. Definitely wouldn't say it was good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder said this morning JT mr nice guy thing was all for show. He was mad he wasn’t getting offered a deal so switched agents. Basically went and got a mean guy as a agent that has overplayed his hand.  Does JT not pay attention what is happening with other running backs across the league.

Yeah, he just had zoom call, and they were all counting on him to turn the tides for RBs.

All 3 current guys will have failed.

Barkley - took franchise number + tough incentives

Taylor - yeah

Cook - Rumors were $9m Jets offer

None of that helped or will help the RB situation 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I won’t disagree with you on the numbers, but JT is under contract for this upcoming year and now he has shown himself as somebody that does not honour the spirit of his contractual obligation.   He has basically now tanked his career in the name of greed and stupidity.  I have gone from being a huge JT fan to now loathing him.

I can understand that to the last parts of your post, some have. I am not happy with any of it.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

It was a decent article.  I liked Doyle describing JT’s situation as him becoming a “cavity” in the makeup of the team.  If so you remedy a cavity with a filling.  Maybe a good compromise here would be to pay Taylor the franchise number this year.  Reset at one year.   Yes it would cost the Colts an extra 6 million or so but we have the cap space.  At the end of the year let’s see where we are.  He could restore his place as one of the top backs in the league or not.  At least he plays for the year and the team is whole again and the cavity fixed.  If his year is not what we were expecting maybe you pull the tooth and put in a bridge or Taylor does get that extension.  This seems like a good compromise to me.  Worth pursuing for both sides.  

• Like 1

Here is the solution I would consider trying.(wouldn't even consider if he retains agent though)

Sign a 1yr extension for $12m with a $6m SB. $6m guaranteed 

2023 cap hit - $8.1m

2023 cap hit - $10m($3m dead cap hit)

This gives Taylor $10.3m in cash this year, ($6m SB + 2023 $4.3m base). 

Give a little security for Taylor and an easy out for Colts if the choose or Taylor gets hurt.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets trade him too the Cardinals and see how happy he is with the crap franchise. Irsay could actually be a Richard about this if he wanted too The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Or they could not trade him, franchise tag him for the nest 3 years and let him rot on the bench. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Here is the solution I would consider trying.(wouldn't even consider if he retains agent though)

Sign a 1yr extension for $12m with a $6m SB. $6m guaranteed 

2023 cap hit - $8.1m

2023 cap hit - $10m($3m dead cap hit)

This gives Taylor $10.3m in cash this year, ($6m SB + 2023 $4.3m base). 

Give a little security for Taylor and an easy out for Colts if the choose or Taylor gets hurt.

I bet Irsay would compromise too to give Taylor a little more security. I just don’t think the other side will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Or they could not trade him, franchise tag him for the nest 3 years and let him rot on the bench. 

That too. That is what JT doesn't realize, he has 0 leverage. I think JT is a great player and deserves a reasonably good contract extension (which I have posted) but if he is going to be a distraction, we don't need that. 

• Like 4