Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN’s Matt Miller says Colts Have Decided on QB

Defjamz26

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Oh God ok. Here we go

Size - basically irrelevant to play QB in today's NFL. You have plenty of QBs who are 6 2 or shorter that start and play winning football.

Arm strength- completely overrated and one of the last attributes teams look for in a QB.

Athletics - basically a prerequisite to play QB as everyone can move nowadays. This isn't a statue in the pocket era anymore. Doesn't make him special.

Experience - Playing in a pro style offense means nothing if you struggled to play in it.

Accuracy - meaningless when the majority of his throws were short. 

Decision making - how hard is it to get to the RB?

Intelligence - Cool. He's smart. He also ate a banana with the peel on.

Desire - Don't know the guy personally to know how much he loves football.

Adam Sandler Adult Humor GIF

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CR91 said:

This is what you did to me @VikingsFanInChennai :censored2:

:sarcasm:

to be fair, I was among the few who wanted to wait until the end of the day at least, and that would've given time for everyone to catch up after day 1 but overwhelming feel among available are that they felt it would look lopsided for the big board  :)

Maybe it's a way of coping with what would happen in the real draft :D

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I know you're making fun of me, but that's funny 

I wouldn’t say I’m making fun of you, just teasing a little. I don’t necessarily agree with everything you’re saying, but it’s your opinion. At least you’re willing to defend it.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:37 PM, CR91 said:

Size - basically irrelevant to play QB in today's NFL. You have plenty of QBs who are 6 2 or shorter that start and play winning football.

Any fan is a fool if they think that.  The only reason the short ones are drafted is because that's what the colleges are producing.  Big and athletic is better than small and athletic, or else AR would be absolutely nothing without his size...Absolutely. Nothing.

Arm strength- completely overrated and one of the last attributes teams look for in a QB.

Right.  Which is why the black Chad Pennington with juke might be drafted number 1 this year.  LOL.  Except most GMs care about how many NFL throws the QB can make.

Athletics - basically a prerequisite to play QB as everyone can move nowadays. This isn't a statue in the pocket era anymore. Doesn't make him special.

Not special, but its a box he checks...which is better than not checking a box, like size and arm strength.

Experience - Playing in a pro style offense means nothing if you struggled to play in it.

Experience NOT playing in a pro style offense is as good as having no experience at all.   College is supposed to prepare you for the future, not to cap your career playing in offenses that don't matter.  Levis is way ahead on the learning curve than the other prospects.  Boxed checked. 

Accuracy - meaningless when the majority of his throws were short.

LOL.  Size Throwing downfield is basically irrelevant to play QB in today's NFL. You have plenty of QBs offenses that are shorter that play winning football.

Decision making - how hard is it to get to the RB?

How hard is it to pretend to be a RB?

Intelligence - Cool. He's smart. He also ate a banana with the peel on.

And cognitive quick.  Both are better than being dumb and slow witted.  Box checked.

Desire - Don't know the guy personally to know how much he loves football.

Seems like he has a personality that would stay away from weed.  Doesn't seem to like getting mellow.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Any fan is a fool if they think that.  The only reason the short ones are drafted is because that's what the colleges are producing.  Big and athletic is better than small and athletic, or else AR would be absolutely nothing without his size...Absolutely. Nothing.

Right.  Which is why the black Chad Pennington with juke might be drafted number 1 this year.  LOL.  Except most GMs care about how many NFL throws the QB can make.

Not special, but its a box he checks...which is better than not checking a box, like size and arm strength.

Experience NOT playing in a pro style offense is as good as having no experience at all.   College is supposed to prepare you for the future, not to cap your career playing in offenses that don't matter.  Levis is way ahead on the learning curve than the other prospects.  Boxed checked. 

LOL.  Size Throwing downfield is basically irrelevant to play QB in today's NFL. You have plenty of QBs offenses that are shorter that play winning football.

And cognitive quick.  Both are better than being dumb and slow witted.  Box checked.

Seems like he has a personality that would stay away from weed.  Doesn't seem to like getting mellow.

So your point is hey I was in a pro style offense that makes me better. Oh wait. I sucked in that pro style offense, but hey I was still in one.

Size, arm strength, and athleticism makes you a top 4 pick. Oh wow I guess screw actually being good at football with my 2000 yards, but hey I'm tall and can take hits from LBers surely I must be good. :facepalm:

On 4/21/2023 at 2:20 PM, CR91 said:

You want me to debunk all this because I can, but then everyone will just say I'm nitpicking and I'm a hater. Look I'm not gonna change anyone's mind and no one is changing mine so I think it's best we leave it at that. I'm tired of this and thankfully it's over in 6 days

When it gets to the point where you can’t even enjoy the draft, which you typically love,  then you have a problem.   

When you think you’re smarter than people who do this for a living,  then you have a problem.    I’m NOT talking about other fans here on this site, I’m talking about people in the NFL who do this for a living, whose livelihood depends on this, then you’ve got a problem.  The fact that we have Steichen as our HC doesn’t seem to help you deal with whatever is coming. 

I’m sorry you can’t even enjoy this.    I’m prepared to enjoy a 4-day draft and UDFA fun fest and see how things turn out.  You’re prepared to be miserable.   

Good luck….   

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

You have a tendency to throw out some weird racist vibes.    Who is the black Chad Pennington?

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So your point is hey I was in a pro style offense that makes me better. Oh wait. I sucked in that pro style offense, but hey I was still in one.

Size, arm strength, and athleticism makes you a top 4 pick. Oh wow I guess screw actually being good at football with my 2000 yards, but hey I'm tall and can take hits from LBerd surely I must be good. :facepalm:

You keep writing that Levis sucked in the pro style system.   It’s false every time you write it.   You’re making lots of bad arguments.    When you’re getting this kind of pushback here, it should be red flag for you.   But it’s not.  

Good luck.     :facepalm:

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You keep writing that Levis sucked in the pro style system.   It’s false every time you write it.   You’re making lots of bad arguments.    When you’re getting this kind of pushback here, it should be red flag for you.   But it’s not.  

I love how because I get push back, it means I'm wrong somehow. I'm sorry I'm not blinded by one average season. I didn't know that's all it takes to be a top 4 pick. :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When it gets to the point where you can’t even enjoy the draft, which you typically love,  then you have a problem.   

When you think you’re smarter than people who do this for a living,  then you have a problem.    I’m NOT talking about other fans here on this site, I’m talking about people in the NFL who do this for a living, whose livelihood depends on this, then you’ve got a problem.  The fact that we have Steichen as our HC doesn’t seem to help you deal with whatever is coming. 

I’m sorry you can’t even enjoy this.    I’m prepared to enjoy a 4-day draft and UDFA fun fest and see how things turn out.  You’re prepared to be miserable.   

Good luck….   

So because I asked for sources, Matt Miller's word is enough. Ok :facepalm:

Just now, CR91 said:

I love how because I get push back, it means I'm wrong somehow. I'm sorry I'm not blinded by one average season. I didn't know that's all it takes to be a top 4 pick. :facepalm:

But you think there is zero concern drafting a 5'10 qb?   You lose credibility when you only address flaws in the qb that you don't want.       I know these scouts and front office know far more than us.   They may be wrong,  but they have way more info than we do.    I think Stroud will be the best.   I've never talked to him.   I haven't talked to his high school coaches, his former teammates, his prom date.  Etc.    These teams have so much info.   It makes couch potato gms look foolish when they judge who is the best prospect 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

But you think there is zero concern drafting a 5'10 qb?   You lose credibility when you only address flaws in the qb that you don't want.       I know these scouts and front office know far more than us.   They may be wrong,  but they have way more info than we do.    I think Stroud will be the best.   I've never talked to him.   I haven't talked to his high school coaches, his former teammates, his prom date.  Etc.    These teams have so much info.   It makes couch potato gms look foolish when they judge who is the best prospect 

Bryce is irrelevant now at this point. He's going to Carolina. I made it a point his size didn't concern me because he had everything else you look for in a QB and apparently the Panthers agree.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Bryce is irrelevant now at this point. He's going to Carolina. I made it a point his size didn't concern me because he had everything else you look for in a QB and apparently the Panthers agree.

Name one pro bowl qb that was 5'10

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I wouldn't trade for kyler if he was available.   His style of play at his size will not be sustainable.

Ok, but that wasn't the question. Didn't Flutie make a pro bowl in 98 or 99?

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So because I asked for sources, Matt Miller's word is enough. Ok :facepalm:

It’s not about one source that disagrees with you.    It’s about almost all sources who disagree with you.   But nothing changes your mind.   You’re determined to be unhappy because you think the Colts will do things they shouldn’t do, things you wouldn’t do.    You know better.  

Good luck with that.    

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not about one source that disagrees with you.    It’s about almost all sources who disagree with you.   But nothing changes your mind.   You’re determined to be unhappy because you think the Colts will do things they shouldn’t do, things you wouldn’t do.    You know better.  

Good luck with that.    

What other sources? All I've seen is everyone piggybacking this one so called source, but you know what this will be done in three days.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

What other sources? All I've seen is everyone piggybacking this one so called source, but you know what this will be done in three days.

You’ve been on an anti-Levis rage for weeks.   Much longer than this one source who recently spoke.   

As for 3 days.   Huh?    You just wrote yesterday or earlier today,  that this will be over in 6 days.    Now it’s 3.    The story is never the same with you from post to post.  

Hope you find a way to enjoy yourself this week.   Doubt it,  but I suppose anything is possible.   Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’ve been on an anti-Levis rage for weeks.   Much longer than this one source who recently spoke.   

As for 3 days.   Huh?    You just wrote yesterday or earlier today,  that this will be over in 6 days.    Now it’s 3.    The story is never the same with you from post to post.  

Hope you find a way to enjoy yourself this week.   Doubt it,  but I suppose anything is possible.   Good luck. 

Well the draft is in three days. Look at the timestamp of when I said 6 days.

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well the draft is in three days. Look at the timestamp of when I said 6 days.

Right, three days.   Then you have to survive the three days of the draft and another day-plus for signing undrafted free agents.   So much time for you to be so unhappy.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Right, three days.   Then you have to survive the three days of the draft and another day-plus for signing undrafted free agents.   So much time for you to be so unhappy.   

Personally, the first pick is what im most interested about. I'm not gonna freak out if Ballard doesn't take x player from my mock draft.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Personally, the first pick is what im most interested about. I'm not gonna freak out if Ballard doesn't take x player from my mock draft.

Stroud, Levis, Richardson.   We should know roughly 30 minutes into the draft Thursday night.  

On 4/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

See NCF we don’t disagree on everything.  I like Levis.

On 4/22/2023 at 2:24 AM, CR91 said:

This is what you did to me @VikingsFanInChennai :censored2:

:sarcasm:

just read all the back and forth here... 

Levis is one of the most average QBs being hyped as qualified for a top 10 pick. When he throws short around the LOS, which he does more often, I don't like his ball placement and touch where the receiver or RB gets the ball anywhere from head to toe and that doesn't enable very good chance of gaining yards for such throws. But he does get very good completion %, for which I've to praise his receivers, who may not get drafted and have potential to gain lot of yards after the catch but they did catch a lot of random cannon throws for short yardage catches. 

When he throws in the middle of the field, I don't like how his throws "curve down" towards the ground more often and doesn't lead the receivers to gain yards after catch. These stuff don't fly - pun intended - in the NFL, and such throws will be jumped up by many NFL CBs, Safeties and even LBs. These arcs can be seen during the combine as well, and comparing that to Stroud's throws which leads the receiver to catch favorably and allows them to run forward after the catch without losing momentum. I see inability to do so many such little nuances in Levis' tape that it's scary and also true that these habits don't go away and are very hard to eliminate in the NFL, especially when people tout him as NFL-ready on Day 1!!!

His deep throws are also not accurate to be optimistic about, so I see lot of concerns with Levis that simply will keep him from reaching the potential that people and scouts are talking about. 

I see such concerns with Richardson as well, but his throws are mostly bullets that he needs to learn to throw with necessary velocity for each distance and to enable the receivers to be in favorable position to run after the catch. 

I think people just want to be optimistic about Levis, especially when Panthers traded up to top pick, and they have convinced themselves that Levis having played in offenses similar to NFL makes him pro ready. But, for the stated reasons above, I don't think it will work out that way in reality. 

On 4/25/2023 at 4:05 PM, rayski said:

AR is better than Levis in every way, pocket presense between these two are day and night

Therefore, AR is more ready, between the two 

AR’s accuracy is horrible.  It’s pretty hard to succeed in the NFL if you are inaccurate and accuracy is what Steichen is looking for.  Wentz was criticized for not taking the layups.  He could make the throws but he chose not to and he paid the price.  AR just doesn’t have the skill to make the layups.  That’s a natural skill and feel for a quarterback.  AR doesn’t have it.  I don’t think it’s a skill you can coach a player to do.  He’s played high school and college without it.  His athleticism has saved him so far.  But I think it will catch up with him in the pros.  I can’t imagine Shane would be all in on an inaccurate quarterback no matter how athletic he is.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

AR’s accuracy is horrible.  It’s pretty hard to succeed in the NFL if you are inaccurate and accuracy is what Steichen is looking for.  Wentz was criticized for not taking the layups.  He could make the throws but he chose not to and he paid the price.  AR just doesn’t have the skill to make the layups.  That’s a natural skill and feel for a quarterback.  AR doesn’t have it.  I don’t think it’s a skill you can coach a player to do.  He’s played high school and college without it.  His athleticism has saved him so far.  But I think it will catch up with him in the pros.  I can’t imagine Shane would be all in on an inaccurate quarterback no matter how athletic he is.

The counter-argument is:  Josh Allen

How did that work out?  

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think shane could coach Richardson up. If they did draft him it would be because they feel he is coachable. If they go with someone else then they probably dont feel that way

16 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

That's like arguing that you should bank on finding a franchise QB in the 6th round because of how Brady turned out. 

Well….    I’m not sure that’s an apples to apples comparison.   And I certainly have never made the Brady argument for any QB.  

But I’m certainly not alone in arguing that Allen is the prime example of QBs can get better as it relates to Richardson.   I’d argue that teams don’t want to pass on AR and fear him becoming the best QB in the class as Allen did.   

Understand, I’m not arguing for Richardson.   I’m long on record favoring the Colts should take the QB Steichen wants.   I’ll support whoever that is.  I’m only saying there is an argument for Richardson.   You can decide how good or bad the argument is.  

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….    I’m not sure that’s an apples to apples comparison.   And I certainly have never made the Brady argument for any QB.  

But I’m certainly not alone in arguing that Allen is the prime example of QBs can get better as it relates to Richardson.   I’d argue that teams don’t want to pass on AR and fear him becoming the best QB in the class as Allen did.   

Understand, I’m not arguing for Richardson.   I’m long on record favoring the Colts should take the QB Steichen wants.   I’ll support whoever that is.  I’m only saying there is an argument for Richardson.   You can decide how good or bad the argument is.  

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Just making a counter argument to your counter argument. I have actually warmed up to the idea of taking Richardson because of Steichens repitation and how Allen developed.

8 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Just making a counter argument to your counter argument. I have actually warmed up to the idea of taking Richardson because of Steichens repitation and how Allen developed.

Not me.  I hope someone else takes Richardson.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed Levis is the pick.

On 4/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, richard pallo said:

I’d disagree, his adjusted accuracy is not that bad, the main issue w him is lack of experience, anyway, we’ll see soon

Archived