Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So is the pick, Carter, Anderson or Richardson?

Ballard mentioned that we were going to get one of the best players in the draft. If we are staying at #4, and with the recent addition of the DE from SF 49ers, who are you leaning toward at pick 4? (With the understanding that Ballards gamesmanship is subtle) 

If Anderson is gone at 3, it would be Richardson or Levis, IMO.

Positional value of a QB does trump that of a pass rusher though and even if Anderson was there, I am leaning towards QB. Anderson will be in the NFC, regardless, with one of the Cardinals, Seahawks or Lions.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

How many "fire Ballard"(or something to the effect) threads will there be the moment the Colts select a non-QB on the board? (Before they get merged into 1?) 

Over/under 5.5 ... 

under. I think Irsay holds much more of the blame than we realize with regards to past selections… draft, FA, 

0% chance the Colts take Jalen Carter. He somehow ruined his stock even more today.

I think we’re taking a QB. I wouldn’t read too much into that comment Ballard made about getting the best player on the draft. He’d say the same thing if he was at pick 22.

My personal preference for what the Colts will likely ideally want to do is one of Stroud, Richardson, Levis or Young (probably in that order).

That being said, I know tons of people love Young and I love him too. He just scares me both from an injury standpoint and also a historical likelihood of success at his size standpoint. That is why I have him 4th where everyone else probably has him 1 or 2. 

Anyhow, for me if Stroud or Richardson is not available, I would rather just go Willie Anderson.

I know I am likely an outlier there and everyone mostly is going to want one of the four QBs.

But if we end up with any of the 4 QBs or Anderson then I am happy. 

Assuming Stroud is gone I want Richardson.  Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Jackson are all in the AFC.  The Colts need a freak to compete with those guys. I’ll roll the dice on AR’s upside and work ethic. I don’t believe for  a second that they’re drafting anything other than a QB at #4.  

The recent turntable of Colt's QBs kind of reminds me of the Browns era.  Sadly, not many FA QBs available this year to choose from.  Now that we traded away GIlmore and our CB corps is depleted really wouldn't shock me as originally posted in another hypothetical draft thread we took Witherspoon from Illinois with the 4th pick.  Lately drafting a CB doesn't seem too farfetched of an idea and RCB Christian Gonzalez (Oregon) has that Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie comparison.  Gonzalez performed well at the Combine and aced the RAS with a 9.96 mark.  With Facyson heading back to the Raiders still wouldn't mind seeing us reunite with Rock Ya-Sin at LCB.  

Round 2 we pass on a QB again early and take MLB Jack Campbell - great athletic that test well at the combine 9.98 RAS – won 2022 Butkus Award as the top LB and William V Campbell Trophy as a scholar-athlete.  Named Nagurski-Woodson Defensive POY.  Someone has to replace future HOF Okereke who recently signed with the Giants.   

Could see the Colts trade back up into mid-late Round 2 and take Hooker at QB.  With our new HC kind of feel like he may prefer next year's QB class of either Drake Maye or Caleb Williams since both are dual RB/QB mold of Hurts. 

Speaking of Gilmore earlier, reminded me of why he joined Matt Ryan and the Colts thinking we had a shot last season and why Gilmore moved on to the Cowboys recently.  Got to feel Buckner is in the same exact situation.  Colts need OG help, and I would trade Buckner to Seattle for LG Damien Lewis.  Lewis started his career with the Seahawks initially at RG.  Buckner would be an immediate improvement over FA Poona Ford and Buckner rejoins the NFC West with Seattle who could be a contender exacting revenge on the 49ers. 

Flashback to the Browns again missed opportunities to rebuild their organization with young talent then surround with a long-term QB (Weeden, Manziel, Mayfield).  Realize the draft is hit/miss but am hoping the Colt's Club has better talent evaluators to make the right decision.  Sure do miss Andrew Luck. 

9 hours ago, OhioColt said:

The recent turntable of Colt's QBs kind of reminds me of the Browns era.  Sadly, not many FA QBs available this year to choose from.  Now that we traded away GIlmore and our CB corps is depleted really wouldn't shock me as originally posted in another hypothetical draft thread we took Witherspoon from Illinois with the 4th pick.  Lately drafting a CB doesn't seem too farfetched of an idea and RCB Christian Gonzalez (Oregon) has that Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie comparison.  Gonzalez performed well at the Combine and aced the RAS with a 9.96 mark.  With Facyson heading back to the Raiders still wouldn't mind seeing us reunite with Rock Ya-Sin at LCB.  

Round 2 we pass on a QB again early and take MLB Jack Campbell - great athletic that test well at the combine 9.98 RAS – won 2022 Butkus Award as the top LB and William V Campbell Trophy as a scholar-athlete.  Named Nagurski-Woodson Defensive POY.  Someone has to replace future HOF Okereke who recently signed with the Giants.   

Could see the Colts trade back up into mid-late Round 2 and take Hooker at QB.  With our new HC kind of feel like he may prefer next year's QB class of either Drake Maye or Caleb Williams since both are dual RB/QB mold of Hurts. 

Speaking of Gilmore earlier, reminded me of why he joined Matt Ryan and the Colts thinking we had a shot last season and why Gilmore moved on to the Cowboys recently.  Got to feel Buckner is in the same exact situation.  Colts need OG help, and I would trade Buckner to Seattle for LG Damien Lewis.  Lewis started his career with the Seahawks initially at RG.  Buckner would be an immediate improvement over FA Poona Ford and Buckner rejoins the NFC West with Seattle who could be a contender exacting revenge on the 49ers. 

Flashback to the Browns again missed opportunities to rebuild their organization with young talent then surround with a long-term QB (Weeden, Manziel, Mayfield).  Realize the draft is hit/miss but am hoping the Colt's Club has better talent evaluators to make the right decision.  Sure do miss Andrew Luck. 

IMO, not a chance the Colts pass on a first round QB. Ideally, in your scenario, Stroud or Levis goes to the Colts, preferably Stroud. If Richardson and Young are gone 1-2 as appears more and more possible due to recent moves, a trade of next year’s 2 to Arizona to move up 1 slot ensures the Colts get their guy and AZ gets theirs’. 

But the Colts must get a new young signal caller and have to go for it this year. No more cute trade backs by Ballard. 

On 3/16/2023 at 11:44 AM, Hoose said:

IMO, not a chance the Colts pass on a first round QB. Ideally, in your scenario, Stroud or Levis goes to the Colts, preferably Stroud. If Richardson and Young are gone 1-2 as appears more and more possible due to recent moves, a trade of next year’s 2 to Arizona to move up 1 slot ensures the Colts get their guy and AZ gets theirs’. 

But the Colts must get a new young signal caller and have to go for it this year. No more cute trade backs by Ballard. 

Top 3 QBs expected to be gone before the Colt’s pick can see a Browns type draft unfold.  Instead of taking a mediocre QB at 4 draft stud DE or CB then take that mediocre QB late Round 1 or early Round 2.  That is the way.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, stitches said:

How many "fire Ballard"(or something to the effect) threads will there be the moment the Colts select a non-QB on the board? (Before they get merged into 1?) 

Over/under 5.5 ... 

Over. 

On 3/15/2023 at 2:24 PM, Defjamz26 said:

0% chance the Colts take Jalen Carter. He somehow ruined his stock even more today.

I think we’re taking a QB. I wouldn’t read too much into that comment Ballard made about getting the best player on the draft. He’d say the same thing if he was at pick 22.

I’m 9 pounds heavier… than I should. Got to be honest with you… still feeling dangerous

I just hope one of the teams ahead of us drafts Richardson, so that we CAN'T draft him.  I want no part of him, and think he will be a huge flop in the NFL...but then again, I DO want Levis and think he will do very well...so I'm already thinking differently than most here...

That said, if Stroud/Levis/Young were all gone and we had to pick between Anderson and Richardson, I take Anderson and don't think twice...   To everyone saying "yeah, but we need a QB THIS year... Richardson wont be a QB for anyone THIS year...he is a project...and if we are waiting another year for our QB to be ready, then let's just get Anderson this year and Drake Maye next year.

2 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I just hope one of the teams ahead of us drafts Richardson, so that we CAN'T draft him.  I want no part of him, and think he will be a huge flop in the NFL...but then again, I DO want Levis and think he will do very well...so I'm already thinking differently than most here...

That said, if Stroud/Levis/Young were all gone and we had to pick between Anderson and Richardson, I take Anderson and don't think twice...   To everyone saying "yeah, but we need a QB THIS year... Richardson wont be a QB for anyone THIS year...he is a project...and if we are waiting another year for our QB to be ready, then let's just get Anderson this year and Drake Maye next year.

I agree with everything you mentioned except Levis. He reminds me of Jim Everett. Wouldn’t be surprised he isn’t picked in RD1 

If Richardson, Stroud, AND Young are gone, before our pick.....

(I think someone is going to trade up to 3 to get one of these 3 players)

That would leave us with a choice of Levis or Anderson

I would have to go with Anderson........  Its not even a close decision

Its overused, but some people are calling him a generational talent

NO ONE is calling Levis a generational talent.....  In fact, I think Levis may last til mid to late round 1

Who has the better chance to be all pro or pro bowl?

Anderson

We CANT throw out the BPA thought process

Lets package some trades to get back into late round 1 and pick up Hooker

(5 year)

Anderson and Hooker would be a great haul for this years draft

On 3/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, FalseStart said:

Ballard mentioned that we were going to get one of the best players in the draft. If we are staying at #4, and with the recent addition of the DE from SF 49ers, who are you leaning toward at pick 4? (With the understanding that Ballards gamesmanship is subtle) 

I'm starting to come around on the idea of Richardson.... Looks like a lot of fun from the get go.....  But, ii am expecting them to take Levis if available, even if Richardson is on the board.  

This will cause heads to explode and supply the one thing Colts fans can clutch their pearls over for the next year at least.  

I honestly feel like Young could still be in play. I think the Panthers take Stroud as he's more of what Reich likes in his QBs compared to Young and Richardson and I think the Texans would prefer Richardson because of his athleticism that's similar to Watson. If the draft goes that way, three then becomes interesting because the cards are in the driver's seat.

22 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I'm starting to come around on the idea of Richardson.... Looks like a lot of fun from the get go.....  But, ii am expecting them to take Levis if available, even if Richardson is on the board.  

This will cause heads to explode and supply the one thing Colts fans can clutch their pearls over for the next year at least.  

With the addition of Minshaw… I’m okay with Anderson, Richardson or trade back. Prefer to trade back with Detroit at 6/18 for 4/35

Archived