Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap Space 2023

Zoltan

Was just looking at Spotrac at what cap space looks like in the league so far and holy cow didn't realize how many teams are starting over the cap. There seems to be alot of voided contract year dead money on alot of teams like the saints who have 21 million dead cash from players that aren't on the team

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

(These numbers are from the top 51)

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: $-138,887

19. New York Jets:$-2,445,607

20. Green Bay Packers: $-5,733,478

21. Dallas Cowboys: $-7,622,887

22. Carolina Panthers: $-9,562,644

23. Miami Dolphins: $-12,665,862

24. Cleveland Browns: $-14,338,417

25. Los Angeles Rams: $-15,702,453

26. Buffalo Bills: $-18,709,462

27. Los Angeles Chargers: $-19,672,446

28. Minnesota Vikings: $-21,319,469

29. Tennessee Titans: $-23,547,933

30. Jacksonville Jaguars: $-32,861,191

31. New Orleans Saints: $-52,355,434

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $-55,594,949

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

This should make a few pretty good free agents available.  I'm not saying a bunch because some will restructure contracts and some may be traded.  

To me, this only favors the teams at the top because those free agents when released, are more likely to sign 1 or 2 year deals with contenders like the Eagles, 49ers, Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, Ravens, Cowboys etc. unless teams like the Bears, Raiders, Falcons, Giants, Patriots go on a spending spree with all their Top 5 cap space.

The Vikings have to shed $22Million to get below the salary cap.

Vikings players who may get cut: 

Zadarius Smith (we read he has put his home up for sale)

Jordan Hicks

Patrick Peterson (maybe not)

Dalvin Cook (hope not but RBs can be replaced)

CJ Ham 

Harrison Smith (hope he restructures)

Eric Kendricks (one of my favorite players but he has lost a step. I hope he stays and improves.)

The one person who won't be cut is Kirk Cousins :(

@VikingsFanInChennai what do you think. 

The Vikings voided the contracts of DT Dalvin Tomlinson and CB Patrick Peterson. They were two of our better players last year. So, I don't get it, especially because these moves do not create much cap space.

Voiding Tomlinson's contract results in $7 million in dead money. I'm not sure why we could not have kept him. A cap expert here may be able to explain.

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings voided the contracts of DT Dalvin Tomlinson and CB Patrick Peterson. They were two of our better players last year. So, I don't get it, especially because these moves do not create much cap space.

Voiding Tomlinson's contract results in $7 million in dead money. I'm not sure why we could not have kept him. A cap expert here may be able to explain.

Not sure and couldn't check.. Just guessing that their contracts had a void year added that the players could exercise and test their free agent market value. They may want to sign again, may be lured by another team as well. 

Yeah.. I guess we have reached the point where we need to let go past defensive stalwarts and set up a new identity. I'd like to have Kendricks, Smith (both) and Hicks back but that may not happen. I think they'll sign Cook back. 

Among the free agents listed above (haven't got to check the whole list, which will be more clear after a week or so), I'd like some of CBs Sutton, Roby, LB Lavonte David, DLs Hargrave, Hicks, WR Keenan Allen. I'm sure there are some more exciting options. 

Brian Flores will need to do a tremendous job to get this defense to play league average level at least. Meanwhile, HC will have to seriously start evaluating QB prospects in draft every year and start jumping on good prospects whenever they get a chance, starting this April. Otherwise, his Vikings coaching record will slide like it happened for Zimmer if he relies on Cousins only. They may be able to get someone like Hooker at #23 if the kid is intelligent enough to translate his game from his college program to the NFL. I'm waiting to see how Superman in this forum evaluates Hooker in his scouting report. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm waiting to see how Superman in this forum evaluates Hooker in his scouting report. 

I did not realize @Superman is doing scouting reports. I am looking forward to the ones on QBs although the Vikings are not likely to draft one.

We used to have someone here named @Dustin who used to do scouting reports. I still remember him "banging the table" for DT Grady Jarrett. Dustin turned out to be right. Dustin was a fan of our former GM Rick Spielman (as was I despite his signing of Kirk Cousins).

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I did not realize @Superman is doing scouting reports. I am looking forward to the ones on QBs although the Vikings are not likely to draft one.

We used to have someone here named @Dustin who used to do scouting reports. I still remember him "banging the table" for DT Grady Jarrett. Dustin turned out to be right. Dustin was a fan of our former GM Rick Spielman (as was I despite his signing of Kirk Cousins).

I miss Dustin, he was a great poster, even though we often disagreed. 

16 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You can start reading the QB scouting reports from this link on Anthony Richardson and refer the links at the end of the top post for reports on Young, Stroud and Levis. Only Hendon Hooker's evaluation is left to be done. 

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

You can start reading the QB scouting reports from this link on Anthony Richardson and refer the links at the end of the top post for reports on Young, Stroud and Levis. Only Hendon Hooker's evaluation is left to be done. 

Thank you. The folks here really follow college football closely. They know their stuff.

I requested that DN do more scouting reports on players that the Vikings are likely to draft. I'm not sure if that will happen. 

@Superman will you be doing a scouting report on Hooker? Thank you.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you. The folks here really follow college football closely. They know their stuff.

I requested that DN do more scouting reports on players that the Vikings are likely to draft. I'm not sure if that will happen. 

@Superman will you be doing a scouting report on Hooker? Thank you.

Yup. Within a few days.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:54 AM, NFLfan said:

They must have heard me complain.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:54 AM, NFLfan said:

A simple check at spotrac shows that they did void their contracts.

They voided automatically. They signed them to multi-year contracts with guaranteed money which lowered their cap hit during the non-voiding years.

Is Tomlinson worth signing for multiple years again so they can also spread out the $7.5m current cap hit?

Peterson graded extremely well last season and probably will not fit their tight budget.

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A simple check at spotrac shows that they did void their contracts.

They voided automatically. They signed them to multi-year contracts with guaranteed money which lowered their cap hit during the non-voiding years.

Is Tomlinson worth signing for multiple years again so they can also spread out the $7.5m current cap hit?

Peterson graded extremely well last season and probably will not fit their tight budget.

According to a report Tomlinson's contract was not voided. They have until March 15 to fit him in. I don't know how these things work. (I do see that Spotrac shows that contract as voided.)

Peterson said he wants to return. He played well last year. I want him back. 

On 2/19/2023 at 11:32 PM, Zoltan said:

Was just looking at Spotrac at what cap space looks like in the league so far and holy cow didn't realize how many teams are starting over the cap. There seems to be alot of voided contract year dead money on alot of teams like the saints who have 21 million dead cash from players that aren't on the team

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

(These numbers are from the top 51)

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: $-138,887

19. New York Jets:$-2,445,607

20. Green Bay Packers: $-5,733,478

21. Dallas Cowboys: $-7,622,887

22. Carolina Panthers: $-9,562,644

23. Miami Dolphins: $-12,665,862

24. Cleveland Browns: $-14,338,417

25. Los Angeles Rams: $-15,702,453

26. Buffalo Bills: $-18,709,462

27. Los Angeles Chargers: $-19,672,446

28. Minnesota Vikings: $-21,319,469

29. Tennessee Titans: $-23,547,933

30. Jacksonville Jaguars: $-32,861,191

31. New Orleans Saints: $-52,355,434

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $-55,594,949

The saints last year started out something like 65 million OVER the cap, loads of restructuring helped them then. I’m curious what they’ll do this year

The Athletic has a list of possible cuts to make cap space.

https://theathletic.com/4241267/2023/02/25/nfl-salary-cap-cuts-releases?source=user-shared-article

Colts: Matt Ryan (no doubt about that one)

The Vikings:

Potential cap cut: LB Eric Kendricks

2023 cap hit: $11.43 million
Cap savings if cut before June 1: $9.5 million
Dead money if cut before June 1: $1.93 million

The Vikings have a bunch of options here. To name a few: Adam Thielen, Harrison Smith, Dalvin Cook, Za’Darius Smith and others. Kendricks, though, makes sense as a selection for this exercise. For one, his 2022 performance dipped considerably. It’s hard to peg how much his decline in impact was a byproduct of coordinator Ed Donatell’s scheme. There is also a sensible argument to be made about Kendricks’ potential in a man-to-man, blitz-heavy Brian Flores defense. In general, though, the Vikings could decide that young linebacker Brian Asamoah is ready to start. And if that’s the case, this could be an understandable move, even for as much as Kendricks has been a Vikings franchise cornerstone for years. — Alec Lewis

That is very possible. I would hate it, but Kendricks did not play well last year. How much was the Ed Donatell defense? @VikingsFanInChennai

Some other possible notable cuts:

Joe Mixon @RollerColt thoughts??

Frank Clark @chad72  

Cody Whitehair @Bearzzz what do you think?? The Bears should try to keep him. He has been a very good player throughout his NFL career.

•Javon Kinlaw 

•Leonard Floyd 

•Leonard Fournette 

•Nyheim Hines 

Some obvious ones are Mitch Trubisky, Kenny Golladay, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

https://theathletic.com/4241267/2023/02/25/nfl-salary-cap-cuts-releases?source=user-shared-article

The Vikings:

That is very possible. I would hate it, but Kendricks did not play well last year. How much was the Ed Donatell defense? @VikingsFanInChennai

Frank Clark @chad72  

Cody Whitehair @Bearzzz what do you think?? The Bears should try to keep him. He has been a very good player throughout his NFL career.

•Javon Kinlaw 

•Leonard Floyd 

•Leonard Fournette 

•Nyheim Hines 

Some obvious ones are Mitch Trubisky, Kenny Golladay, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota.

Yeah, someone will be let go, possibly more but I would try to limit to maximum 2 of that list. I'd say Zadarius Smith and Hunter combo is essential for the defense, I'd try to keep him. Looks like Theilen might be let go, he'd do very well with Belichick like Edelman or Amendola. I'm not sure what they think of Harrison Smith. I think Kendricks will do well in Flores defense, especially with blitz looks and communication in the middle. It depends on who among him and Hicks they'd want. I thought Troy Dye would improve well, let's see who among the young guys take the spot but LB spot looks expendable. I really hope they keep Patrick Peterson, and they still need to improve the secondary a lot after that. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings:

Frank Clark @chad72  

•Javon Kinlaw 

•Leonard Floyd 

•Leonard Fournette 

•Nyheim Hines 

I think Mixon has been very good for Bengals but they've been limiting his usage at times and have learned to do it well by committee. They will need to keep their defense and Chase, so some cuts are inevitable. 

Bears should keep Whitehair, or some other team will be lucky. Other candidates seem like they'll need to find new team. 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, someone will be let go, possibly more but I would try to limit to maximum 2 of that list. I'd say Zadarius Smith and Hunter combo is essential for the defense, I'd try to keep him. Looks like Theilen might be let go, he'd do very well with Belichick like Edelman or Amendola. I'm not sure what they think of Harrison Smith. I think Kendricks will do well in Flores defense, especially with blitz looks and communication in the middle. It depends on who among him and Hicks they'd want. I thought Troy Dye would improve well, let's see who among the young guys take the spot but LB spot looks expendable. I really hope they keep Patrick Peterson, and they still need to improve the secondary a lot after that. 

Reports had it that Thielen was restructuring his contract and he said he does not want to play for another team. 

I want to keep Hunter, Z. Smith, and Kendricks. Peterson and Harrison too. The defense was bad but I want to retain the players. Lol. 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Bears should keep Whitehair, or some other team will be lucky.

For sure. I don't think they will cut him. He is too important to that young offense and the young QB. 

In 2016, I wanted us to draft Whitehair. Back then, our OL was really weak. Despite using so much draft capital on CB in the recent past, we again drafted a CB in Mac Alexander, a pick or two ahead of Whitehair. I wanted to build the OL and thought that was the place to draft Whitehair. Later in that draft, we drafted Willie B who never did much for us. (I blame Zimmer for our drafting so many CBs and ignoring other areas of the team.)

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Reports had it that Thielen was restructuring his contract and he said he does not want to play for another team. 

I want to keep Hunter, Z. Smith, and Kendricks. Peterson and Harrison too. The defense was bad but I want to retain the players. Lol. 

For sure. I don't think they will cut him. He is too important to that young offense and the young QB. 

In 2016, I wanted us to draft Whitehair. Back then, our OL was really weak. Despite using so much draft capital on CB in the recent past, we again drafted a CB in Mac Alexander, a pick or two ahead of Whitehair. I wanted to build the OL and thought that was the place to draft Whitehair. Later in that draft, we drafted Willie B who never did much for us. (I blame Zimmer for our drafting so many CBs and ignoring other areas of the team.)

Zimmer actually didn't find elite talent much among all those drafted CBs which was my concern with him, and the team is still lacking pretty all over in that department. It's okay if he thought you could never have too many CBs but he didn't hit on enough quality guys. It affected the roster build, for sure. 

Whitehair, if available, would be a great get. 

It's good Theilen wants to stay, he's always said that. Hope the team keeps him, that will help JJ as well. 

I hope we get a quality DL, inside or outside, the defensive line needs to be a threat to other offenses, while secondary needs to hold on to their part well. Defense needs some identity, I hope Flores has a plan. 

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Zimmer actually didn't find elite talent much among all those drafted CBs which was my concern with him, and the team is still lacking pretty all over in that department. It's okay if he thought you could never have too many CBs but he didn't hit on enough quality guys. It affected the roster build, for sure. 

You're right. :( Trae Waynes, Mac Alexander, Mike Hughes, Jeff Gladney, and Cameron Dantzler. I may be forgetting someone. Xavier Rhodes may have been the best during Zimmer's time but Zimmer did not draft Rhodes.

I saw an article about Jalen Ramsey becoming available and Vikes should try to sign him. The article says he is a future Hall of Famer. No way do I want Ramsey with the Vikes. Bring back Patrick Peterson who I think is Hall of Fame worthy and is not the headache that Ramsey is. Also, Ramsey will cost more. 

10 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I hope we get a quality DL, inside or outside, the defensive line needs to be a threat to other offenses, while secondary needs to hold on to their part well. Defense needs some identity, I hope Flores has a plan. 

Would you like us to retain Tomlinson?

If we kept Z, Tomlinson and Hunter, would they make the DL in a 3-4 scheme? We may need to draft some linebackers. 

By the way, three of our defensive players made the PFF top 101 players. Four on offense made it too too, but no Hockenson and no Cook. Our two OTs are there. I hope we can retain both. Brian O'Neill was an underrated draft pick of Rick Spielman. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-101-top-101-players-from-2022-nfl-season

On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, NFLfan said:

The Vikings:

Frank Clark @chad72  

•Javon Kinlaw 

•Leonard Floyd 

•Leonard Fournette 

•Nyheim Hines 

I'm biased in my opinion of Mixon. I think he's a fantastic running back, who has sometimes been forgotten about in Cincy's pass 1st offense. The Bengals downfall is similar to Josh Allen's Bills. They don't put enough emphasis on running the ball sometimes and get tricked into passing. The Chiefs AFC championship game this year was case in point. 

I agree with VikingsFanInChennai, Mixon could be cut and honestly the offense would still be able to work with a running back committee. Shoot, the Chiefs won the whole thing with no clear cut #1 back, though that rookie obviously will be in play again next year. 

I would hate to lose Mixon, but I really think Cincinnati needs to work on keeping those receivers and bolstering that defense. They need smart, shutdown corners badly. 

Archived