Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Week 15 Around-the-NFL Game Discussions Thread

NFLfan

Recapping the weekend from a positive perspective:

We had a team complete the greatest comeback in history (Vikings)

We had the "immaculate reception" part two. (Raiders)

We had a team drive to the game winning FG in a matter of seconds. (Chargers)

We had a team make a miraculous late game play to win, and now have won 6 of last 7 games. (Lions)

We had a team force 4 turnovers in one quarter. (Bengals)

We had a team trailing 17-0, score 34 straight points. (Bengals).

Recapping the weekend from a negative perspective:

We had a team blow a 33-0 lead in the 2nd half. (Colts)

We had a team with the most detail oriented, highest football IQ coach, make one of the dumbest plays in NFL history. (Patriots)

We had a team in easy FG range to win the game, see their coach get cute and try to use up a few more seconds by running an additional play (with no timeouts, so it was going to be simply a pass out of bounds), get called for delay of game and back up the FG 5 yards. Then he double downed by running another "throw away" play, risking a holding penalty or other mishap. Didn't come back to bite them, but it easily could have. (Chargers)

We had a team running a last minute drive not using all of their timeouts. Sound familiar? (Jets)

We had a team QB'ed by the GOAT commit 4 turnovers in the 4th quarter. (Bucs)

We had a team leading 17-0 give up 34 straight points. (Bucs)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

We had a team make a miraculous late game play to win, and now have won 6 of last 7 games. (Lions)

We had a team with the most detail oriented, highest football IQ coach, make one of the dumbest plays in NFL history. (Patriots)

We had a team in easy FG range to win the game, see their coach get cute and try to use up a few more seconds by running an additional play (with no timeouts, so it was going to be simply a pass out of bounds), get called for delay of game and back up the FG 5 yards. Then he double downed by running another "throw away" play, risking a holding penalty or other mishap. Didn't come back to bite them, but it easily could have. (Chargers)

We had a team running a last minute drive not using all of their timeouts. Sound familiar? (Jets)

That about sums it up!

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Brady was 89-0 when leading by 17 or more, Sums up the weekend.

The Patriots losing the way they lost made my whole week after the way their fans mocked us for blowing a 33 point lead The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@2006Coltsbestever @Chrisaaron1023 @Gramz @Happy2BeHere @RollerColt 

Did you see highlights of the Pats-Raiders game yesterday? If not, listen to this.

Compliments of Pride of Detroit

Great call. This was worse then our 4th down call on the punt when Chuck was here, it was the worse thing I ever seen because it cost them the game. Stephen A Smith is laughing his butt off calling it the dumbest play ever surprised homer simpson GIF

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

I mostly agree except some would be on the other side of the positive/negative side of things.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady was 89-0 when leading by 17 or more, Sums up the weekend.

The Patriots losing the way they lost made my whole week after the way their fans mocked us for blowing a 33 point lead The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

It's the one positive about being out of the playoff race. I can sit back and just enjoy the craziness that is the NFL. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, coltsva said:

It's the one positive about being out of the playoff race. I can sit back and just enjoy the craziness that is the NFL. 

What is funny is, now that there is no pressure I feel better overall. It sucks we are out of it, I hate losing but now I can enjoy just watching games without my blood pressure going haywire. I will still bet on games though but usually I either get a little ahead or break even. Messi did me a huge favor yesterday and I don't follow Soccer Lionel Messi Football GIF by FC Barcelona

• Like 2

• NFLfan unpinned this topic

This image more or less sums up not only the Patriots' season, but the general state of the team now. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2022/12/USATSI_19650123_168393267_lowres-e1671450990562.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1

At least New England fans know for sure now. Not really debatable... it was Brady. It was always Brady. Belichick is almost a below average coach without him. 

Part of me misses the glory days, the rivalry with you guys, etc. But I'm also aware that it'll never happen again and we should just be grateful that we had it. 

Merry Christmas to Colts Nation! 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

This image more or less sums up not only the Patriots' season, but the general state of the team now. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2022/12/USATSI_19650123_168393267_lowres-e1671450990562.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1

At least New England fans know for sure now. Not really debatable... it was Brady. It was always Brady. Belichick is almost a below average coach without him. 

Part of me misses the glory days, the rivalry with you guys, etc. But I'm also aware that it'll never happen again and we should just be grateful that we had it. 

Name one coach that has gone to a SB lately without a very good QB, it is just the nature of the business nowadays. Big Ben may not have been elite like a Brady or Manning but he still was a very good QB. You don't see too many runs like a Joe Flacco, that is probably the biggest exception in the last decade.

Brady bolted before the AFC got stronger with the new QBs and the NFC is just warming up now but still the top 3 QBs in the league currently, IMO, are Mahomes, Burrow and Allen in whichever order you want to rank them. Belichick made the difference on the D and ST side but as Eli Manning's SB winning squads showed, the D and ST can only keep it manageable or close but the QB has to finish it off (like Giants D keeping Patriots scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 46, Patriots D keeping Seahawks scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 49, keeping Falcons scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 51, keeping Rams scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 53 etc.).

Don't have a very good or elite QB, no SB, that is just how it is the last decade. But football is a complementary game and comebacks always mean the D does its job to give the offense the opportunities, and the QB has to finish it.

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

I think Bill is a great defensive coach but the league is about offense now

The patriots lack both offensive talent and coaching 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, chad72 said:

Name one coach that has gone to a SB lately without a very good QB, it is just the nature of the business nowadays. Big Ben may not have been elite like a Brady or Manning but he still was a very good QB. You don't see too many runs like a Joe Flacco, that is probably the biggest exception in the last decade.

Brady bolted before the AFC got stronger with the new QBs and the NFC is just warming up now but still the top 3 QBs in the league currently, IMO, are Mahomes, Burrow and Allen in whichever order you want to rank them. Belichick made the difference on the D and ST side but as Eli Manning's SB winning squads showed, the D and ST can only keep it manageable or close but the QB has to finish it off (like Giants D keeping Patriots scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 46, Patriots D keeping Seahawks scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 49, keeping Falcons scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 51, keeping Rams scoreless in 4th qtr. of SB 53 etc.).

Don't have a very good or elite QB, no SB, that is just how it is the last decade. But football is a complementary game and comebacks always mean the D does its job to give the offense the opportunities, and the QB has to finish it.

You kind of hit on a good point here... Belichick seems to gravitate toward players who are coachable, not players who possess inane talent that can't be taught. I don't mean to downgrade his entire career, but without Brady, his career numbers are pretty average at best. You probably haven't seen a lot of NE games this season but ST have been pretty awful, and the D only seems to step it up when they're playing lesser talent. They haven't beaten a "good" QB yet this year. 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, BlackTiger said:

I think Bill is a great defensive coach but the league is about offense now

The patriots lack both offensive talent and coaching 

His defensive coaching is based more on his past and his reputation at this point than what we're seeing week-to-week. The numbers and stats will always look OK, but defense is about situational play and making the big stop when you need a big stop. I think they've just let their roster go on that side of the ball, and he can't coach these guys up the way he has in the past.