Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Steelers at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You're welcome. 

I was rewinding (during the game)... and watched it 4 times... and thought people were crazy to say it was Ryan. Looked perfect to me. I'm sure JT knows. 

He closed on it before he felt it in his belly.  Cardinal sin of taking a handoff.  From Pop Warner on. 

It does seem strange that JT would deflect that seeming responsibility from what I've seen before.

That might be significant or totally irrelevant, but it seems strange. 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"You just really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to sports". Yeah right. I could ask you right now who won the basketball NCAA Championship in 1977 and you would probably have no clue, or who won the NBA MVP in 1980. You will say you know of course after looking it up. I can tell you every Champion and MVP's since 1980 in basketball and football without looking up anything. Who was the 6th man on the 1998 Pacers, the team that had Jordan beat but barely lost game 7. You would probably have no idea. Lol.

Those are trivial facts that anyone could memorize.  Proves nothing about understanding the game. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He started it lmao . Him and I are cool though, but you seen what he said. He said I knew nothing about sports, no big deal really. I could ask all kinds of questions, like who the 1983 seasons SB winner was and unless one know's their history they would have 0 clue. I bet half the people in here have no idea who Lyle Alzado was.

season 3 GIF

Bestie, I made a throwaway joke about a bench outside of the VP at the stadium in Bloomington that  read "reserved for Dan Dakich" to see if anyone else knew the bench, ie people who attended IU in the late 80s and 90s and would have been to the VP and remembered the bench.  I didn't know who he was other than  Dakich was known for "shutting" down Jordan.  That's all.  It might have even said that on the bench.  

That's the only thing I had ever known about Dan Dakich.  He had a bench reserved at the BP for his performance against Jorday in 84.  That and he coached a little.  I've never heard the man speak.  I'm in S. IND, and we don't get his show.

Then YOU proceeded to argue my throwaway line about Dakich into one saying KNIGHT played zone v. NC in 84.  I was pretty sure you were wrong because we all grew up in S. INdiana knowing how to play sagging, help side man because that's what the God of S. IND Bob Knight played.  And I looked at the game on YouTube and saw after about 1 minute you must be confusing a sagging man to man with a zone.  Knight NEVER played in the 70s, 80s and early 90s.  NEVER.   He did incorporate some zone on occasion late in his career, but certainly NOT in 84.

Yet Bestie, you were so confident and indignant in defending your position that Dakich is wrong about what he said about the Colts  that you went to arguing about whether or not Dakich played good D v. Jordan in 84.

Weird.   

53 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He closed on it before he felt it in his belly.  Cardinal sin of taking a handoff.  From Pop Warner on. 

It does seem strange that JT would deflect that seeming responsibility from what I've seen before.

That might be significant or totally irrelevant, but it seems strange. 

Jumping into this.   I think it was on Ryan.

Yes, you're right about JT closing too early, but I think its because the ball actually got there too late.  Ryan couldn't get it into JT's belly in time.  He looked to be stretching more than he should, and seemed about ready to just toss him the handoff.

I get that JT should not have closed, but the ball needed to be there by then or else he would have ran through the hole without the ball. LOL.  Either JT ran away from Ryan too fast, took a longer angle, or Ryan was too slow giving him the ball.

Just saying that if its officially listed as a fumble on Ryan, I can see why.  JT was nearly out of position and rapidly getting out of position when Ryan let go of the ball.

Edit:  Its on Ryan.  Look at the video.  Ryan exits center and turns and drifts straight back when he should have drifted more to the play side as he exited center.  Because he drifted back, he then had to lunge at JT to get him the ball when JT was closing at the spot he should have been closing.  Aikman and Buck didn't notice Ryan's poor drop back when they commented.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35134845

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Jumping into this.   I think it was on Ryan.

Yes, you're right about JT closing too early, but I think its because the ball actually got there too late.  Ryan couldn't get it into JT's belly in time.  He looked to be stretching more than he should, and seemed about ready to just toss him the handoff.

I get that JT should not have closed, but the ball needed to be there by then or else he would have ran through the hole without the ball. LOL.  Either JT ran away from Ryan too fast, took a longer angle, or Ryan was too slow giving him the ball.

Just saying that if its officially listed as a fumble on Ryan, I can see why.  JT was nearly out of position and rapidly getting out of position when Ryan let go of the ball.

There is a point where you can see Ryans hips kind of leaned out where he was handing it off. 

But as far as I know, no back has ever been taught to grab the football until it hits the belly.  

Fumbled exchanges are always credited to the QB as far as I know.  

I would just say Ryan didn't appear to let go of the ball to me, it seems it was knocked out by JTs early clamp down.   Even if Ryan was late or not exactly in the right place, I've never heard anyone say you should reach for the ball at that point, and that is exactly what Taylor did.

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

There is a point where you can see Ryans hips kind of leaned out where he was handing it off. 

But as far as I know, no back has ever been taught to grab the football until it hits the belly.  

Fumbled exchanges are always credited to the QB as far as I know.  

I would just say Ryan didn't appear to let go of the ball to me, it seems it was knocked out by JTs early clamp down.   Even if Ryan was late or not exactly in the right place, I've never heard anyone say you should reach for the ball at that point, and that is exactly what Taylor did.

Look at the video.  Ryan exits center and turns and drifts straight back when he should have drifted more to the play side as he exited Center and turned.  Because he drifted straight back, he then had to lunge at JT to get him the ball.  They were moving too much in different directions for the ball to ever get into JTs belly.   Aikman and Buck didn't notice Ryan's poor drop back when they commented.  Again, maybe JT took off too fast, and went too wide too quickly, but the ball was slow getting to JT, IMO.

38 minutes ago, Nickster said:

season 3 GIF

Bestie, I made a throwaway joke about a bench outside of the VP at the stadium in Bloomington that  read "reserved for Dan Dakich" to see if anyone else knew the bench, ie people who attended IU in the late 80s and 90s and would have been to the VP and remembered the bench.  I didn't know who he was other than  Dakich was known for "shutting" down Jordan.  That's all.  It might have even said that on the bench.  

That's the only thing I had ever known about Dan Dakich.  He had a bench reserved at the BP for his performance against Jorday in 84.  That and he coached a little.  I've never heard the man speak.  I'm in S. IND, and we don't get his show.

Then YOU proceeded to argue my throwaway line about Dakich into one saying KNIGHT played zone v. NC in 84.  I was pretty sure you were wrong because we all grew up in S. INdiana knowing how to play sagging, help side man because that's what the God of S. IND Bob Knight played.  And I looked at the game on YouTube and saw after about 1 minute you must be confusing a sagging man to man with a zone.  Knight NEVER played in the 70s, 80s and early 90s.  NEVER.   He did incorporate some zone on occasion late in his career, but certainly NOT in 84.

Yet Bestie, you were so confident and indignant in defending your position that Dakich is wrong about what he said about the Colts  that you went to arguing about whether or not Dakich played good D v. Jordan in 84.

Weird.   

Not really, Dakich doesn't know crap about Football. My Knowledge dominates his when it comes to football. Not bragging but it does by listening to his non-sense. He could get me in basketball because he could say he played for IU and did coach Bowling Green but he still is wrong about why we lost. We didn't lose because Jeff didn't take a Timeout sooner, that is laughable. He is a shock jock and is just trying to stir things up. 2 main reasons why we lost were, we created no turnovers and Taylor fumbling at the 1. If someone in the media wants to talk they need to know what they are talking about instead of talking out of their rear end. He is rude to callers that don't agree with him and he hangs up on them. His show stinks, that is what I think about it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO) 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really, Dakich doesn't know crap about Football. My Knowledge dominates his when it comes to football. Not bragging but it does by listening to his non-sense. He could get me in basketball because he could say he played for IU and did coach Bowling Green but he still is wrong about why we lost. We didn't lose because Jeff didn't take a Timeout sooner, that is laughable. He is a shock jock and is just trying to stir things up. 2 main reasons why we lost were, we created no turnovers and Taylor fumbling at the 1. If someone in the media wants to talk they need to know what they are talking about instead of talking out of their rear end. He is rude to callers that don't agree with him and he hangs up on them. His show stinks, that is what I think about it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO) 

Yeah but we should have taken a TO.  Even Saturday admits that now.  

I have NO IDEA how much FB knowledge DD has.  From my experience most talking heads  that didn't play aren't really very knowledgeable about anything even remotely technical about football.  Most guys probably don't know the difference between a 1Tech dlineman and  a 3 tech, most wouldn't know cover 2 from cover 3, or zone blocking or man blocking.  These are very elementary coaching concepts that any coach at any level at HS and beyond would understand.

Now it's not essential to have this specific technical knowledge to say something about a time out not being called.

MY WIFE, who trust me is no FB technician, was like "Why aren't they calling time outs, they have 3>"  Nickster JR, and I were like We don't know mom.   So whether or not DD "knows nothing" about FB or not, you don't have to be a FB genius to see pretty clearly they panicked, overthought, or were not prepared enough to call a TO after the RYan scramble. 

Man I don't listen to any of that crap.  It hurts my mind.  All that bluster and staged drama on those sports shows, but that's what the people buy so that is what is sold.  I listen or watch very very little pre or post game or any sports media these last 15 years or so. 

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Man I don't listen to any of that crap.  It hurts my mind.  All that bluster and staged drama on those sports shows, but that's what the people buy so that is what is sold.  I listen or watch very very little pre or post game or any sports media these last 15 years or so. 

Yep.  The old CBS show with Brent Musburger, Irv Cross, and Jimmy the Greek were better.  If you're old enough to remember that show.  They just calmly talked about the coming football games and lasted 30 minutes.

Now, I can't even follow what these shows talk about.  

Oh definitely.  I liked the ESPN guys too.  In the 90s, I'd get up at about the crack of 930, shake off a Saturday night hangover, then go to my brothers to watch two hours of the ESPN pregame stuff.

I used to watch Pardon the Interruption and that buzzer show on ESPN when they first came out earlier this millenium, but after about a year, I just got sick of the constant drama.

Since then, its almost always drama almost all the time. 

Dude I remember as a pretty young little dude thinking how beautiful Jane Kennedy was lol.  I was probably too young to understand what I was feeling lol. 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

No it's not obvious.  That is one of your anti Reich agenda driven narrative pieces of drivel.

We've gotten essentially identical results.  Did we not "fight" v. Hou and KC when we came back?  Did we not "fight" v. Den or 

JAGS in game 2?  

We got beaten badly by NE with a inexperienced QB.  We squeaked by a TERRIBLE LV team, got beaten by PHI at the end instead of pulling an upset like we did when we "fought" v. KC and now we lost to a terrible PITT team and gave up 24 points to a terrible offense. 

We look exactly the same now as we did 3 weeks ago.  The only difference is that our passing game is actually shallower lol.

1. How many times did we have the lead entering the 4Q?
  2. When was the latest time we scored a TD on the opening drive?
  3. How may times did the O score 1Q TDs the first 9 games. How many in the last 3?
  4. How many INTs did Matt have in 7 games with Frank. How may in the last 3 games?
  5. How many TDs did JT have with Frank? How many TDs in the last games?

Answer those 5 things....

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah but we should have taken a TO.  Even Saturday admits that now.  

I have NO IDEA how much FB knowledge DD has.  From my experience most talking heads  that didn't play aren't really very knowledgeable about anything even remotely technical about football.  Most guys probably don't know the difference between a 1Tech dlineman and  a 3 tech, most wouldn't know cover 2 from cover 3, or zone blocking or man blocking.  These are very elementary coaching concepts that any coach at any level at HS and beyond would understand.

Now it's not essential to have this specific technical knowledge to say something about a time out not being called.

MY WIFE, who trust me is no FB technician, was like "Why aren't they calling time outs, they have 3>"  Nickster JR, and I were like We don't know mom.   So whether or not DD "knows nothing" about FB or not, you don't have to be a FB genius to see pretty clearly they panicked, overthought, or were not prepared enough to call a TO after the RYan scramble. 

I rarely listen to Dakich. I just happened to be getting lunch on Tuesday and there he was because I had it on 107.5. I just know if I called him, he would hang up on me. Easy to do when when someone calls a radio show that knows more than a host. He has had a huge history of doing that to people that question him. Like I said I have home field advantage here = there is no hanging up, etc.., but he would be too chicken to create an account here and challenge me because he is a bigtime host that can just hang up on people. Get him on my turf and he would not be near the same person in here The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)roddy piper mr GIF

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Dude I remember as a pretty young little dude thinking how beautiful Jane Kennedy was lol.  I was probably too young to understand what I was feeling lol. 

I'm with you, Jayne was absolutely gorgeous back in the day! 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Look at the video.  Ryan exits center and turns and drifts straight back when he should have drifted more to the play side as he exited Center and turned.  Because he drifted straight back, he then had to lunge at JT to get him the ball.  They were moving too much in different directions for the ball to ever get into JTs belly.   Aikman and Buck didn't notice Ryan's poor drop back when they commented.  Again, maybe JT took off too fast, and went too wide too quickly, but the ball was slow getting to JT, IMO.

I see it as being on JT.  He could not believe the hole that opened up in front of him and Kalinic threw a great lead block.  He was in a hurry to get there.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Not sure this was posted earlier... but according to PFF Raimann had a great game vs the Steelers:

I still have hope that he can be our LT of the future. He does need experience and coaching, but his athletic and physical profiles are in a lot of ways what you look for in LT nowadays. 

Wow!  This is great news.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Rodgers continues raising his season grade and he continues losing snaps to Facyson. I have no idea what is going on... 

Moore was on a scooter in the locker room. Rodgers might get more snaps in the slot this week. Which I think could be big for creating turnovers. He matched up with Lamb better then Moore.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Rainmann  finishes the year strong that opens up a ton in the first round. A QB WR DE TE. 

I posted this in the other thread with Hookers injury and age he might be able to be had in the second round which will help colts draft a impact player in the first.

I think Raiman secures the position by the end of the year.

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

1. How many times did we have the lead entering the 4Q?
  2. When was the latest time we scored a TD on the opening drive?
  3. How may times did the O score 1Q TDs the first 9 games. How many in the last 3?
  4. How many INTs did Matt have in 7 games with Frank. How may in the last 3 games?
  5. How many TDs did JT have with Frank? How many TDs in the last games?

Answer those 5 things....

Those are 5 obvious things... I'll sure you're ignore... and dance... 

Talk about drivel... your pic is the dictionary.. 

Pure agenda driven hogwash on your part East.

1.  What does that matter?  Didn't we "fight" back and tie 1 game and win v. KC, Jax, and Den in the 4Q?  Baseless Drivel on your part.  Agenda driven nonsense. 

2.  Who cares?  We had one of the worst halfs possible on offense Sunday.  Last year, we had one of if not the best opening drive record in FB, yet I don't recall East praising Reich's scripts once again, Baseless Drivel on your part.  Agenda driven nonsense. 

3.  See #2 response.  

4.  Good God East.  We don't throw the ball down the field anymore of course we are going to have less.  Did you watch Sunday BTW, plenty of interception worthy throws.  Bottom line, Indy averaged more points with Ryan at QB under Reich than they do with Ryan at QB under Saturday.  (Edit: calculated that wrong.  We have average a little more the last 3 weeks, with the 'extra' TD v. Vegas lol)

5.  JT scored 22 I think TDs last year under Frank Reich.

There is no dancing, just calling out the obvious agenda driven drivel on your part.

I know you don't look at this offense we've been seeing and say man we are way better than we were lol.   You are lying if you say you are.  We look EXACTLY the same to me except we take less shots down the field.   We run up the middle, we pass shallow. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Rainmann  finishes the year strong that opens up a ton in the first round. A QB WR DE TE. 

I posted this in the other thread with Hookers injury and age he might be able to be had in the second round which will help colts draft a impact player in the first.

I agree if Raimann is good, then we are off to a decent start IF we go ahead and commit to the rebuild.  Having a 3rd round rookie salary LT that can hold his own is uber valuable. 

I don't know what Pitt does defensively or what the status of Watt's health is, but I was surprised that they didn't test Raimann with him. Does he always line up on the left side I remember thinking.  Smith did relatively well with Watt.  Watt pressured a couple of times but didn't have a Watt like impact on this game. 

Where is Dakich at? I could shoot 3 pointers better than him and my football knowledge smokes his The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- You cant hang up on me in here pal! Home field advantage is a * lmao . Chicken behind a microphone that talks out of his rear and has no guts to message me who i am a nobody = Boooooooooo. He knows I would destroy him in a debate on my turf.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Where is Dakich at? I could shoot 3 pointers better than him and my football knowledge smokes his The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- You cant hang up on me in here pal! Home field advantage is a * lmao . Chicken behind a microphone that talks out of his rear and has no guts to message me who i am a nobody = Boooooooooo. He knows I would destroy him in a debate on my turf.

Aubrey Plaza Ok GIF by truTV’s The Chris Gethard Show

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me vs Dakich would be an easy win, it would be like this homer simpson fight GIF- (being sarcastic but the guy is a turd).

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the guy from what I've read on here.

BUT he ain't wrong about calling that TO lol. 

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the guy from what I've read on here.

BUT he ain't wrong about calling that TO lol. 

He is right saying we aren't good but is wrong by saying we lost because of the timeout situation. He knows his college basketball and he did help a little shutting down Michael but IU triple teaming the GOAT and Dean Smith is why Michael had a rare off game, his football knowledge is MEH though. JMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is right saying we aren't good but is wrong by saying we lost because of the timeout situation. He knows his college basketball and he did help a little shutting down Micheal but IU triple teaming the GOAT and Dean Smith is why Michael had a rare off game, his football knowledge is MEH though. JMO.

Playing a part in Bob Knight's sagging, help side man defense.Wink Nod GIF by Equipe de France de Football

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That was one of my favorite games of all-time is why I remember it so well. Nobody gave us a chance. Look I don't hate Dakich, he just spews a lot of garbage, more than me which is tough to do haha 

I don't care about DD lol.  But we should have called a TO after the scramble by Ryan. 

Just now, Nickster said:

I don't care about DD lol.  But we should have called a TO after the scramble by Ryan. 

I look at it as this, Taylor should have got what 3 yards. We have 1st down with 3 timeouts left and still 30 seconds. 2 timeouts when we take 1. We can get a lot of plays off in 30 seconds with 1st down and 2 timeouts. 

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

he did help a little shutting down Michael but IU triple teaming the GOAT and Dean Smith is why Michael had a rare off game,

26 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Bob Knight's sagging, help side man defense

If you ever listened to DD tell the story about how he "shut down" MJ...which was told often about 15-20 years ago when it was relevant, was that he had a choice to play off of MJ and let him shoot, or play close and risk MJ driving around him.  DD wasn't good enough to do both, so he had to choose one over the other.

He chose to play off and limit MJ's driving, forcing him to shoot, and MJ had an off night shooting so he didn't score his average.

That's DD's version.  I doubt that he has told it recently since it happened 30 years ago and nobody cares.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

If you ever listened to DD tell the story about how he "shut down" MJ...which was told often about 15-20 years ago when it was relevant, was that he had a choice to play off of him and let him shoot, or play close and risk MJ driving around him.  DD wasn't good enough to do both, so he had to choose one over the other.

He chose to play off and limit MJ's driving, forcing him to shoot, and MJ had an off night shooting so he didn't score his average.

That's DD's version that nobody even cares about now, 30 years later.

Like I said, I'm not sure that I ever heard Dan Dakich speak before lol.   I watched the 1st half of the game and it was classic Indiana help side man to man.  DD sagged off of MJ, and MJ didn't score as much as you'd expect.

I would be surprised if anyone including Dakich would act like he went out in ISO ball and just shut down The Jordan. 

Archived