Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Need a blocking TE

AustexColt

7 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Disappointed we did not trade for another blocking TE. Who we have are all pass catching TE. Why???? With Doyle we could run the ball and without him we cannot!!!

Our running game problems are far more complicated than the Colts miss Jack Doyle.    The Colts also miss their entire offensive line.  

Plus, Cox has a history of being a decent blocker.   Woods will hopefully grow into being a decent blocker as well as Ogletree when he returns next year.    

There’s only so many assets for so many positions. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Didn't Ballard give MAC $8M for this?

What we need is one of our three TEs we have to be able to line up in the backfleld and lead block....so Frank can actually call a power run on the goal line like every other team can do.

Cox makes about $6 million per. 

Watching some film break down I think a big issue is over and over again was relying on our smallest TE to block. Granson was asked to block again and again and he’s barely get a hand on a guy. I think Cox and Woods would have faired much better in the plays. So I believe it’s actually a personnel issue, we have what we want on the roster just not being utilized the way they should. Which funny enough is the story of the past couple season.

Woods was recruited as  QB to Oklahoma State. But he played there as a Blocking TE. He transferred to Va to become a Receiving TE. I have no idea if he’s capable of blocking NFL players, but he has the size, and experience of being a college blocker.

and we know he can catch at the goal line.

36 minutes ago, twfish said:

Watching some film break down I think a big issue is over and over again was relying on our smallest TE to block. Granson was asked to block again and again and he’s barely get a hand on a guy. I think Cox and Woods would have faired much better in the plays. So I believe it’s actually a personnel issue, we have what we want on the roster just not being utilized the way they should. Which funny enough is the story of the past couple season.

Agreed.  Granson was not known to be a blocker in college...and he's small.  He failed to block the edges on a couple of significant plays that were designed to go wide, 

Maybe player rotations and situational personnel is more directly Brady's in-game responsibility and not Frank's, since Frank has is nose in the play book.  Would seem odd to think that Frank would have the time between plays to tell either Granson or Woods or MAC they should be on the field.  That level of decision making would seem more appropriate for subordinates, IMO.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think ogletree was supposed to be the blocker of the group but he got hurt in camp.  I could be wrong.

With that said I am sure not having Doyle hurts but don’t over think this, the line is a mess and that’s the main issue.

Ogletree wasn’t known for his blocking He’s a WR converted to TE. So he’s more so viewed  as a move TE rather than a Blocking TE.

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Ogletree wasn’t known for his blocking He’s a WR converted to TE. So he’s more so viewed  as a move TE rather than a Blocking TE.

For what it’s worth….

When Ogletree was drafted the scouts said they think the kid can be a more traditional Y-tight end.   And that’s why they drafted him.   Because colleges are turning out fewer and fewer traditional tight ends.   They believe Woods can be a Y and so can Ogletree.    Now both have some F-skills as well.   So we will no doubt see them split out also. 

But the team hopes they drafted two traditional tight ends. 

On 11/1/2022 at 4:29 PM, AustexColt said:

Disappointed we did not trade for another blocking TE. Who we have are all pass catching TE. Why???? With Doyle we could run the ball and without him we cannot!!!

A defense mirrors the personnel of the offense. If we trot a blocking tight end out on the field then we show our hand. 

Most teams need a tight end who can block and be productive in the passing game. Problem is there just aren’t many of them. Not enough to go around. And when a team gets one, they keep them. Just like we kept Doyle. 

Archived