Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the Jags game and thought it was just a little odd when Ryan and Ehlinger came out early and started doing their warmup and Foles was nowhere to be seen. It just seemed strange because I hadn't seen anything on the website about that change. So this probably wasn't a decision made in haste. I just hope things go well for Sam and our resident "experts" on here don't start dumping on him if things don't go well. 

4 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I was at the Jags game and thought it was just a little odd when Ryan and Ehlinger came out early and started doing their warmup and Foles was nowhere to be seen. It just seemed strange because I hadn't seen anything on the website about that change. So this probably wasn't a decision made in haste. I just hope things go well for Sam and our resident "experts" on here don't start dumping on him if things don't go well. 

The game day thread could get ugly

9 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

He was inactive anyways.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

What is the advantage to telling us and future opponents that Sam is the starter for the rest of the season? Is it to build confidence in Sam? 

He could've simply said, "Matt has a shoulder injury and is going to be out for awhile. We're going to evaluate things as we go on."

I think this provides stability to the position.  The team will play through Sam's growing pains knowing that the offense revolves around his style and won't be looking for possible change next week,  Its about getting the team to play well by removing any risk of fickleness from the FO.  

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

With the bad QB market last off season colts should of just went with Sam in the first place.

Didn't I say that at the beginning of the season? When one looks at the wasted draft picks that have gone into the D line and qb position...it's criminal. Could have have some other peices with all those wasted picks. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think this provides stability to the position.  The team will play through Sam's growing pains knowing that the offense revolves around his style and won't be looking for possible change next week,  Its about getting the team to play well by removing any risk of fickleness from the FO.  

That has to be it. Give the kid confidence, hand him the keys and see what happens. So far we've seen positive comments coming directly from the players so hopefully they rally around him. 

30 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Did you watch the press conference frank said Sam would of started even if Matt was healthy . He also said it’s for the entire year .Matt’s injury would only keep him out a couple weeks not 11 weeks .

No I didn't see press conference. 

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That has to be it. Give the kid confidence, hand him the keys and see what happens. So far we've seen positive comments coming directly from the players so hopefully they rally around him. 

Not really confidence for Sam, that's part of it.

I'm thinking more like if Sam plays badly, they are not going to change back to Foles or Ryan.  From here on out, the team will practice the offense Sam runs and they will work on making it better throughout the season.  No risk of going back to Matt's style.  I think that message helps the whole team.

I mean, if Sam gets hurt, they'll have to turn to Foles style, but they aren't changing due to another coaching decision.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

With the bad QB market last off season colts should of just went with Sam in the first place.

So, easy to project things now then back then. 

For example did anyone think R. Wilson would be this bad. That was clearly a win now move by Denver that has backfired. At that time I would’ve been ecstatic to have Wilson, but obviously not now. 

However, that’s not a move the Colts would’ve made anyways, based off Ballard’s history of being frugal.

Your comment is kinda like saying there was just nothing Ballard could’ve done. 

However, there is something he could’ve done. He could’ve said, we’re not there yet, because we don’t have our guy. 

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

So, easy to project things now then back then. 

For example did anyone think R. Wilson would be this bad. That was clearly a win now move by Denver that has backfired. At that time I would’ve been ecstatic to have Wilson, but obviously not now. 

However, that’s not a move the Colts would’ve made anyways, based off Ballard’s history of being frugal.

Your comment is kinda like saying there was just nothing Ballard could’ve done. 

However, there is something he could’ve done. He could’ve said, we’re not there yet, because we don’t have our guy. 

I have never liked Wilslon: So that doesn’t surprise me.

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The Russel Wilson trade may have damaged that franchise for up to a decade. They can let go of Hackett, but thanks to the money Wilson will be there for years. And no one is going to be willing to trade for him again. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm thinking more like if Sam plays badly, they are not going to change back to Foles or Ryan.  From here on out, the team will practice the offense Sam runs and they will work on making it better throughout the season.  No risk of going back to Matt's style.  I think that message helps the whole team.

I mean, if Sam gets hurt, they'll have to turn to Foles style, but they aren't changing due to another coaching decision.

I think it was reich who mentioned this. Didn’t want him to feel he was going to be yanked after one mistake.

Chris Simms having gone to texas likes this love. He loves Sam.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

He’s a HOF QB. I’ve always liked him and think he’ll be back. 

He is over rated.

Just now, RollerColt said:

The Russel Wilson trade may have damaged that franchise for up to a decade. They can let go of Hackett, but thanks to the money Wilson will be there for years. And no one is going to be willing to trade for him again. 

Giving up a ton of draft picks is overrated with FA today as long as you manage the CAP. Not to mention do 100% of those picks pan out?? I doubt SF or Rams will be damaged for decade. It just takes a smart GM to manage the loss of draft capital. JMO

21 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

This will be interesting.  Will Matt even want to come back and be a backup?  If not he might retire.  He is cuttable too, the plenty is big but not unheard of

I doubt either side really wants him to be a backup so there could be some bluffing

After this, I would just sit on the bench till they payed me. In this situation, they usally pay them and cut them or trade them if possible

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have went through all these posts and it seems roughly 80% of people are thrilled with this move. So if Sam is a complete bust, does 80% of the forum have to "own up"  

1. Matt is injured 

2. By frank saying that Sam will be the starter the rest of the season is odd when we are 3-3-1. I hope Sam tears it up but for Matt not to even have chance at a deep playoff run like I predicted means I don't have to own up to anything. Playing Sam is Frank's choice, let's hope it doesn't back fire because as of now we are pretty even with around 8 teams in the AFC. Really only Buffalo and KC are clearly better than the others. Almost every one in the AFC is basically playing. 500 ball or close to it. 

I don’t think it’s an own up, if he is a busy because I don’t expect him to be great. I think it’s more of knowing something needed to change at the QB position because Ryan just wasn’t working with his lack of mobility and the offense didn’t look in sync. Frankly though the biggest problem is playcalling and terrible game prepping.

The defense is looking fantastic, the offense has weapons at TE (that aren’t being used), WR, and RB. Sadly for some reason the OL has gone from just needing a LT (because last year Fisher was a revolving door) to looking completely terrible and the QB I would say was throwing to the check down way to often and not trusting/letting his big Physical WRs make plays like Pittman said.

A lot of people are talking about this being a complete rebuild which I completely disagree. You add 2-3 OL in free agency, and then the hard part Honestly is gonna be to get a rookie QB this draft because it’s very top heavy and their are many QB needy teams this coming year but if you can make the trade up, this team could be a perfect fit for a rookie QB. Now the real question is can you get a good Head Coach because I don’t think Reich is back.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think it was reich who mentioned this. Didn’t want him to feel he was going to be yanked after one mistake.

Chris Simms having gone to texas likes this love. He loves Sam.

Sam reminds me of Wilson.  Same size both are elusive and both are effective runners.  I think this move has been in the works for awhile now.  His elevation to No. 2 confirmed he was improving and was ready for that spot.  The coaches have confidence in his ability to lead and make plays.  So all it took was another poor outing by Ryan to seal the deal.  If he performs well we could still sneak into the playoffs.  Our defense and special teams are good.  It’s the offense holding us back. Sam doesn’t need to score over 30pts for us to get victories.  Mid 20’s could get us a lot of wins.  If he is successful he could very well save Reich’s job.  Ballard’s as well.  They will look like geniuses for making the move early enough to get positive results and maybe even save the season.  These next two games will give him a chance to get off to a good start.  So we shall see.  Go get’m Sam.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Sam reminds me of Wilson.  Same size both are elusive and both are effective runners.  I think this move has been in the works for awhile now.  His elevation to No. 2 confirmed he was improving and was ready for that spot.  The coaches have confidence in his ability to lead and make plays.  So all it took was another poor outing by Ryan to seal the deal.  If he performs well we could still sneak into the playoffs.  Our defense and special teams are good.  It’s the offense holding us back. Sam doesn’t need to score over 30pts for us to get victories.  Mid 20’s could get us a lot of wins.  If he is successful he could very well save Reich’s job.  Ballard’s as well.  They will look like geniuses for making the move early enough to get positive results and maybe even save the season.  These next two games will give him a chance to get off to a good start.  So we shall see.  Go get’m Sam.  

Seeing pats not able to defend fields gives me good vibes for that game. I hope this team plays hard. I hope they don’t look at this as giving up.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

The worst thing that could happen is the Colts lose 10 in a row.

But maybe that would be good as a top 5 pick would result 

I was going to object, then you corrected yourself lol.   

For the organization as a whole, the best thing going forward would be to lose every game left this season.  Not going to be popular with certain posters, would make for less fun Sundays, but you'd get a top pick and a very high 2nd to start to fill the glaring holes in the organization on the cheap with rookie contracts. 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Who cares about Sam’s height. The best thing to do is except the season is over, and enjoy watching the kid play.

Maybe he’ll play well or maybe not. 

This excites me more than being sold we are in win now mode. 

Yes, hopefully, we can dispense with that nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

Two things can be true at the same time. I'm happy that Andrew is going to live his life with his wealth, family, and the remainder of his health.

His retirement absolutely screwed us and set this team back at least 5-7 years. 

For me it wasn't so much that he retired, it was how he retired. If you can't handle the NFL then you bail as soon as the season ends. You don't wait until the draft is over, free agency is over, and preseason is started.  He not only bailed on his teammates, he bailed at the last minute. To me that is the unforgiveable part as far as football goes.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

To me this says something pretty glaring  if Irsay made the move for Sam. You basically said the ballad and the Reich  Sam better ball out and show us that hes the future and you both have a job next year. If sam's a disaster and plays the whole season then Irsay  guaranteed himself probably a top 5 pick and a chance of next franchise quarterback. Simple as that that's the way I see it. Irsay is a business man and this decision, if he made it, to ensure the future. I font see Ballard ot Reich returning. I said it early on the season. The problems I saw were deep and could not be fixed during the season.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I was going to object, then you corrected yourself lol.   

For the organization as a whole, the best thing going forward would be to lose every game left this season.  Not going to be popular with certain posters, would make for less fun Sundays, but you'd get a top pick and a very high 2nd to start to fill the glaring holes in the organization on the cheap with rookie contracts. 

You may not have to wish too hard for that to happen. Lol

42 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He’s a HOF QB. I’ve always liked him and think he’ll be back. 

I ve watched 3 of his games and its shocking how bad he's looked.  At everything.

31 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Run game and great defense 

THey haven't had good d's or running games for years man. 

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Per Albert Breer: On Sirius with Charlie Weis/Bob Pappa this morning

Irsay forced the Move and Irsay's thinking was this.

See what you have in Ellinger. If it's great, then great. If it's not, the overall turnout of the season would position the Colts to get a QB and get it right once and for all and stop the band aid carousel of QBs that has been in Indy over the past few years.

**For the record, I totally agree with this decision. Irsay is not an *. He has grown tired of this junk, and this tells me that he has given them enough chances.

Breer also stated at the end that there are a few in league circles telling him that other changes, specifically Reich and Ballard, may also be on the way at season's end for what that's worth. 

Irsay, starting with Wentz last season, has grown impatient; as well as some of us fans who are always chastised for being "Colt's haters" most certainly are. 

Good information. So where did the idea come from that some on this forum and in the media are floating that Ballard got some kind of job guarantee from Irsay for making this move with Ryan? I have heard this implied several times but can't find anything to back it up.

13 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Good information. So where did the idea come from that some on this forum and in the media are floating that Ballard got some kind of job guarantee from Irsay for making this move with Ryan? I have heard this implied several times but can't find anything to back it up.

It was just guessing. Because of the timing of the change. No info is out there.

3 hours ago, Coltsfan98 said:

If that's the case then it would appear Irsay is fine with bringing back this GM and coaching staff as well. I mean he's basically saying it's all the QB again. The man is out of his fricking mind!

Irsay's only reason to go public and  run the bus over Reich/Ballard now is he was prepared to make a move now. 

He is not and never has. I expect that the bus will have a full tank come seasons end.

43 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

To me this says something pretty glaring  if Irsay made the move for Sam. You basically said the ballad and the Reich  Sam better ball out and show us that hes the future and you both have a job next year. If sam's a disaster and plays the whole season then Irsay  guaranteed himself probably a top 5 pick and a chance of next franchise quarterback. Simple as that that's the way I see it. Irsay is a business man and this decision, if he made it, to ensure the future. I font see Ballard ot Reich returning. I said it early on the season. The problems I saw were deep and could not be fixed during the season.

I don't think there is any reason for Irsay to make any decisions about Ballard or Reich at this point. 

Its just a matter that Sam probably has the better arm of the two or three QBs we have now...more mobile....and probably reads defenses not too badly.

Not going anywhere with Ryan's arm, so see how Sam performs then make the assessment at the end of the year.  I'm not going to predict how it goes,

Archived