Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Liking His Young Receiving Corps - NFL.com

sb41champs

Reich liking our young receiving corps hasn't stopped them from sucking in the last few years, so until they actually prove it on the field I refuse to believe they are anything more than a below average young group with potential and with tons and tons to prove. :dunno:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, #12. said:

From the few highlights I've seen, the QBs seem to be throwing into traffic a lot.  The contested catches and one handed grabs are nice, but I would rather see some WRs running wide open.

Do you believe that is a testament to the speed of our secondary or lack there of at WR? 

A couple final roster predictions I have seen show the Colts only keeping 5 wide receivers and instead keeping 4 TE's. Most predictions show the following:

1. Pittman Jr.

2. Campbell

3. Pierce

4. Dulin

5. Patmon

I know there has been a lot of talk about using Hines and maybe Taylor in the passing game more as well. With Ogletree showing flashes would the Colts be better off keeping/signing a sixth receiver instead of keeping a 4th TE? I feel like if they keep a 4th tight end that the 4th TE wouldn't get enough action to justify the roster spot. With Strachan injured is he the odd man out at WR or possibly Coutee? If they keep or sign a 6th receiver who becomes the odd man out in the TE room?

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Ok yeah I agree.  I just note that everyone of the teams you mentioned had an elite guy.

A lot of teams have good looking wideout groups.  This is why I mention the Colts as median for their group even though I like the upside of the unit.  I love the kid they just drafted.  I think Pittman might settle in as an elite possession type, there's a chance still.  There's a chance Parris stays healthy and has a career year.

But this stuff is relative.  And if you look around the league you see the impact of multiple elite WR drafts in a row at work changing the fabric of the game and the balance of power.

I was looking through the Dolphins roster the other night.  They have Hill, Waddle, and Gesicki which is a significant top three threat for the season.  In fact look around the league and you realize how many good young wideouts are making their way up.  It's kind of crazy.  The problem with them, of course, is that they require protections and QB to be maximized.  Which is why this stuff is so hard to quantify even in casual conversation.

So where the Colts look particularly good is in the other stuff.  Reich is an excellent gameplanner.  Ryan should settle down the QB spot and distribute the ball well.  And protections should be excellent.  To summarize, then, at least how I see it, they are middle of the road at wideout but well above average in those other ways and the end result should be a good offense that is hard to get off the field.  That, plus the run game potency, bodes well for the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

A lot of teams have good looking wideout groups.  This is why I mention the Colts as median for their group even though I like the upside of the unit.  I love the kid they just drafted.  I think Pittman might settle in as an elite possession type, there's a chance still.  There's a chance Parris stays healthy and has a career year.

But this stuff is relative.  And if you look around the league you see the impact of multiple elite WR drafts in a row at work changing the fabric of the game and the balance of power.

I was looking through the Dolphins roster the other night.  They have Hill, Waddle, and Gesicki which is a significant top three threat for the season.  In fact look around the league and you realize how many good young wideouts are making their way up.  It's kind of crazy.  The problem with them, of course, is that they require protections and QB to be maximized.  Which is why this stuff is so hard to quantify even in casual conversation.

So where the Colts look particularly good is in the other stuff.  Reich is an excellent gameplanner.  Ryan should settle down the QB spot and distribute the ball well.  And protections should be excellent.  To summarize, then, at least how I see it, they are middle of the road at wideout but well above average in those other ways and the end result should be a good offense that is hard to get off the field.  That, plus the run game potency, bodes well for the playoffs.

Don't disagree.  As long as our LT situation isn't disastrous, we should be OK.  

Just personally, I don't think we have enough on O at the pass catcher to compete consistently, when the Plan A running attack is contained.  I hope I'm wrong about that. 

4 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Do you believe that is a testament to the speed of our secondary or lack there of at WR? 

I'd say it is largely attributable to the talent at pass catcher, and that our O is not going to probably be a good camp O because we are run centric.  Passing plays/Secondary can be pretty much live in camp but no one Junction Boys the back into the lines in the league.

So it is hard to tell what is really going on out there as far as it translates to games. 

This is coach speak.  What do people think he is going to get up there and say he hates his wide receivers? 

Unproven is a pretty good word i think. Outside of Pittman none of them have done anything soooo, let's not lable them anything but that till they show it.

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

On this East it seems you are arguing with Moose even though you both think the same thing.  We need a field stretcher .  

I don't know if anyone disagrees we need more field stretching plays. Not sure why some feel the need to diminish Pittman though, when that's not really an Xs role. 

Archived