Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Liking His Young Receiving Corps - NFL.com

sb41champs

"Opportunity is knocking for a young wide receiver corps in Indianapolis as the well-rounded Colts enter 2022 with veteran quarterback Matt Ryan at the helm. Head coach Frank Reich is a fan of the WR room, which features no player under the age of 26 and an array of possibilities on the depth chart. "We've got this young group. Nobody thinks we've got a group of [receivers]," Reich told reporters Thursday. "They think, oh, the Colts' skill is that they're downhill. We'll see. I'm looking forward to this season. There's a toughness, there's a competitiveness to them." With a clear No. 1 in Michael Pittman, the Colts WRs will duke it out over training camp and through the preseason for a chance at viable playing time. Second-round rookie Alec Pierce is turning heads so far in camp, and Reich says the Cincinnati product is an apt reflection of the young pass-catchers in Indy. "Alec, from Day 1, knows that he belongs," Reich said. "But he still has that respect being a rookie. Same thing with all our young guys." Who is coaching up the Colts wideouts you say? None other than Colts legend Reggie Wayne, whose wisdom seems to be rubbing off during his first training camp as WRs coach."

I don't get it when some people say Michael Pittman is a fringe number 2 WR. He's only in his third year and has only gotten better the more games he's played, despite who has been back at QB and despite that he had two different QBs each year of his career. Despite that, he put up really good numbers last year. Maybe he won't reach the upper echelon of a very few WRs, but he can get pretty damn close imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I don't get it when some people say Michael Pittman is a fringe number 2 WR. He's only in his third year and has only gotten better the more games he's played, despite who has been back at QB and despite that he had two different QBs each year of his career. Despite that, he put up really good numbers last year. Maybe he won't reach the upper echelon of a very few WRs, but he can get pretty damn close imo.

He's a #1. Period. If you can get your numbers without another true WR threat on the field with you, you're legit. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

I don't get it when some people say Michael Pittman is a fringe number 2 WR. He's only in his third year and has only gotten better the more games he's played, despite who has been back at QB. Maybe he won't reach the upper echelon of some WRs, but he can get pretty damn close imo.

I think when a lot of folks talk about Pittman, you have mostly 3 camps. Some are just doubters/contrarians. Some are wearing blue colored glasses, and the 3rd takes a more historical look at WR positions, and how Xs are typically used and rank vs the rest. 

At the end of the day, Pittman is an elite X. Anyone who argues that he isn't, is just being a contrarian. But it is fair to say that typical Xs are generally not visible WR1 types. There are certainly exceptions, and today's WR roles are getting blurred more than ever, but there's still a pretty good "norm" if you look at stats and positions. 

Purely my opinion, but folks should appreciate the value Pitt brings to X. We haven't had an elite X in a very long time. Don't get hung up on WR1 labels right now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we in time had a Z or slot that got more yards than Pitt. That doesn't minimize Pitt's X play. He brings things that a Z or slot won't bring, and vice versa. 

• Like 5

Our WR group is solid, if Campbell stays healthy could be top 10 because A.P. already showing up vs Gilmore and Dulin has gotten better every year. Throw in Patmon at 5 who has gotten raves reviews all off season and Coutee who will be a return man as well as slot back up and we are strong through 6...havent even mentioned Hines who is going to see more time there then ever before.......inexperienced in some areas but we are sitting pretty. Would be shocked if we sign a vet honestly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, colts89 said:

He lacks the elite speed. Most #1 corners who he has to match up against have that elite 4.3 speed and csn stick to him. His only option is to bully them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He lacks the elite speed. Most #1 corners who he has to match up against have that elite 4.3 speed and csn stick to him. His only option is to bully them.

How many true Xs have noticeably better speed than Pittman? He's just fine.

Xs aren't asked to be burners. They are asked to be bigger, more possession type targets, that yes, can bully small DBs regardless of how fast they are. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think when a lot of folks talk about Pittman, you have mostly 3 camps. Some are just doubters/contrarians. Some are wearing blue colored glasses, and the 3rd takes a more historical look at WR positions, and how Xs are typically used and rank vs the rest. 

At the end of the day, Pittman is an elite X. Anyone who argues that he isn't, is just being a contrarian. But it is fair to say that typical Xs are generally not visible WR1 types. There are certainly exceptions, and today's WR roles are getting blurred more than ever, but there's still a pretty good "norm" if you look at stats and positions. 

Purely my opinion, but folks should appreciate the value Pitt brings to X. We haven't had an elite X in a very long time. Don't get hung up on WR1 labels right now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we in time had a Z or slot that got more yards than Pitt. That doesn't minimize Pitt's X play. He brings things that a Z or slot won't bring, and vice versa. 

Yeah for me if #1 means you are one of the top 32 pass catchers in the league, then sure Pittman is well within that range .  

But from what I think the evidence shows, the best truly contending teams need a transcendent pass catcher that can dominate games at times.  To me Pitt looks more like a steady Eddy type player who is certainly worthy of his draft slot, but I have a hard time seeing him as that superstar pass catcher that the Rams, Bucs, Bills, etc have.  It will be interesting to see what GB does after Adams, and KC still has one with Kelce but lost one with Hill.  LV is banking on Hill taking them to another level so that will be another interesting watch.

maybe Pittman will start to get more big games.  100+ and TDs, but so far we haven’t seen much of that.

I just think we need someone else to reach another gear offensively and it doesn’t matter what position TE, Y,Z.  

Hines looks like he might be filling that slot at times, of he could be a Welker, Edelman, Renfrow type, that could do it.  

Campbell to me even with health is still an unknown who hasn’t had a chance to develop. 

maybe this unit can collectively get to a greater level.

but if the interest in OBJ is true then I think the staff feels they need something more.

Coach speak is important.  The pass catchers are young and need confidence.  But a healthier OBJ is the type that I feel could take us up a notch.  I don’t think TY is likely to add what we need at his level right now.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

conversation got me a little curious, so I started looking up the size of the elite receivers around the league.  Practically none of them are bigger than 210 lbs.  Chase, Adams, Jefferson - the guys who take over games as uncoverable - they’re all around 6’1 or 6’2 and between 200 and 210.  Diggs, Cooper others: same thing.  The only true x receivers on the list of best NFL WRs ironically came out of the same university in the same year: AJ Brown and DK Metcalf.  

My point (and I do have one) is that the x receiver isn’t usually the glory guy.  In today’s NFL, a lot of the big plays go to that flanker spot, where these mid-sized receivers can get their free releases.  Probably why our receiver corps gets no respect - our best receiver is an x who’ll move the chains, but not take over games.  Dulin and Pierce at the flanker spot are what the analysts give us no credit for and why our receiving corps gets graded so lowly.  I think they’re going to be surprised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

OR, those 4.3ish guys are a little smaller and his big body is a Tool that they can be beaten with.
And the bigger CB's are not that fast and he can do plenty against them.
AND, he he Now has a QB that thinks fast and places an accurate throw.

It really is that simple.

• Like 2

We've been down this road before. It's all too familiar. We have 1 guy and a bunch of hopefuls and by mid-season we're upset that we don't have any capable WRs. 

For the longest time it was just T.Y. and we were hoping that Dorsett could help take the pressure off of him, while guys like Quan Bray and Griff Whalen developed.

Then  it was just T.Y. while we hoped for more from Moncrief and Dorsett, while we guys like Chester Rodgers and Krishawn Hogan developed.

Then it was just T.Y. while we hoped for more from Moncrief and Chester Rodgers, while guys like Fountain, Pascal, and Marcus Johnson develop.

All the while, the GMs and coaches praised the WR room every off season. It's what they're supposed to do. They're not going to talk bad about their players.

Recently, it's been Pittman with a hurt and aging T.Y.. Now we're hoping that Pittman has a capable #2 in Pierce. I'm hopeful, but hopeful is all I've been nearly over the last decade.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I thought Ballard was the one that always liked his young WR group, every year.  Sounds like Frank has caught on to the corporate message.  But there is probably more truth to it this year.

What is Reich going to say, well everyone outside of Pitt is average lmao . I like our WR room but really overall it is above average at best.

Pittman = good, not very good or great yet but good.

Pierce = unproven, but has good potential, I think he will be average at worse.

Campbell = Injury prone, but has very good potential.

Dulin and Patmon both haven't done much in the league so far. I still think we should sign a Vet and I keep beating the drum of TY for various reasons. TY would at least bring insurance to the team and be average at worse + he knows the coaching staff.

What makes our WR room arguably a little above average is Hines who is a very good receiving RB but he is a RB.

• Like 1

Interesting timing on this conversation, as the WR corps has probably been the absolute best position group in camp so far.  Rather than bemoan our past inability to find a consistent complementary receiver, we should be excited watching Campbell and Dulin kick butt on a daily basis.  But then I am an incurable optimist - you can keep having your premature freak out over our WR corps if you like…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From the few highlights I've seen, the QBs seem to be throwing into traffic a lot.  The contested catches and one handed grabs are nice, but I would rather see some WRs running wide open.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Archer said:

Interesting timing on this conversation, as the WR corps has probably been the absolute best position group in camp so far.  Rather than bemoan our past inability to find a consistent complementary receiver, we should be excited watching Campbell and Dulin kick butt on a daily basis.  But then I am an incurable optimist - you can keep having your premature freak out over our WR corps if you like…

I am an optimist as well. One of the bigger one's here. Yes Campbell has been kicking rear - I love it, I just have to see him stay healthy for 1 season before I can actually say, yes he is good. Maybe Matt Ryan is what the doctor ordered for him :thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Ahhh yes, the old "they look good in practice" and preseason hype. Everyone should feel much better.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ahhh yes, the old "they look good in practice" and preseason hype. Everyone should feel much better.

…and the pessimist arrives!  You’re probably right, good news is actually bad news.  (Oops, I may have suffered an eye strain while rolling them.)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

…and the pessimist arrives!  You’re probably right, good news is actually bad news.  (Oops, I may have suffered an eye strain while rolling them.)

Don't worry you don't need your eyes when you have blind faith lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What makes our WR room arguably a little above average is Hines who is a very good receiving RB but he is a RB.

I don't think there's a large enough data set to truly know how good of a receiver he is. He's performed well in limited opportunities. I'm no expert, but it seems to me, catching passes out of the backfield, swing passes, bubble screens, etc. are easier because you're not being covered by a CB most of the time. If that's how they plan to use him, except more frequently, then fine. But I don't see him as an obviously better receiver than someone like Dulin, for example. 

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yeah for me if #1 means you are one of the top 32 pass catchers in the league, then sure Pittman is well within that range .  

But from what I think the evidence shows, the best truly contending teams need a transcendent pass catcher that can dominate games at times.  To me Pitt looks more like a steady Eddy type player who is certainly worthy of his draft slot, but I have a hard time seeing him as that superstar pass catcher that the Rams, Bucs, Bills, etc have.  It will be interesting to see what GB does after Adams, and KC still has one with Kelce but lost one with Hill.  LV is banking on Hill taking them to another level so that will be another interesting watch.

maybe Pittman will start to get more big games.  100+ and TDs, but so far we haven’t seen much of that.

I just think we need someone else to reach another gear offensively and it doesn’t matter what position TE, Y,Z.  

Hines looks like he might be filling that slot at times, of he could be a Welker, Edelman, Renfrow type, that could do it.  

Campbell to me even with health is still an unknown who hasn’t had a chance to develop. 

maybe this unit can collectively get to a greater level.

but if the interest in OBJ is true then I think the staff feels they need something more.

Coach speak is important.  The pass catchers are young and need confidence.  But a healthier OBJ is the type that I feel could take us up a notch.  I don’t think TY is likely to add what we need at his level right now.

I love Pitt, and I think he's top 32 easily. He was 16th IIRC last season. But we do need a dynamic Z or slot. And if we have one of those, it's likely they have as many or more yards than Pitt if they are legit. That doesn't make Pitt less legit at X. On most teams out there with traditional X/Z/slot rotations, Xs simply have less yards than one of the other positions. Frankly I don't care who gets what. We simply need one more legit guy to emerge regardless. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Archer said:

conversation got me a little curious, so I started looking up the size of the elite receivers around the league.  Practically none of them are bigger than 210 lbs.  Chase, Adams, Jefferson - the guys who take over games as uncoverable - they’re all around 6’1 or 6’2 and between 200 and 210.  Diggs, Cooper others: same thing.  The only true x receivers on the list of best NFL WRs ironically came out of the same university in the same year: AJ Brown and DK Metcalf.  

My point (and I do have one) is that the x receiver isn’t usually the glory guy.  In today’s NFL, a lot of the big plays go to that flanker spot, where these mid-sized receivers can get their free releases.  Probably why our receiver corps gets no respect - our best receiver is an x who’ll move the chains, but not take over games.  Dulin and Pierce at the flanker spot are what the analysts give us no credit for and why our receiving corps gets graded so lowly.  I think they’re going to be surprised.

Yup, the above is what I've been saying.

I'd also add that DK really defies all positional tradition, and I really don't see him as an X.

He's running all the routes, as many Z type than X. 

And he's a unicorn in terms of measurables. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

OR, those 4.3ish guys are a little smaller and his big body is a Tool that they can be beaten with.
And the bigger CB's are not that fast and he can do plenty against them.
AND, he he Now has a QB that thinks fast and places an accurate throw.

It really is that simple.

Your true #1 corners usually have it all that is why they are #1 corners. They have length and speed and if they don't, they are usually not a #1. Now if they run  a zone system then it all goes out the window.

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

How many true Xs have noticeably better speed than Pittman? He's just fine.

Xs aren't asked to be burners. They are asked to be bigger, more possession type targets, that yes, can bully small DBs regardless of how fast they are. 

My only issue with Pittman is if the team puts their # 1 corner on him, they usually have no problem containing him. That is why they need that burner that will change the way the defense plays this offence. The opposing D will have to make a choice on who they put their #1 corner on. Is it Pittman or Campbell if he balls out? You put him on Pittman and he will most likely shut him down. Now that leaves Campbell and/or insert name on the #2 who he can hopefully burn. They choose to put their #1 on Campbell then that leaves Pittman on the #2 who he should be able to exploit based on his skill set. Either way, they need someone to emerge that will dictate some coverage decisions by the opposing defence.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Your true #1 corners usually have it all that is why they are #1 corners. They have length and speed and if they don't, they are usually not a #1. Now if they run  a zone system then it all goes out the window.

Your labels are misleading. No not all #1 CBs have both length or height, and speed. And half the teams out there play more zone than man, if not more. 

And we only play a few teams with top 10 CBs all year. Jackson 6-1 and Slay 6-0. Slay plays mostly zone. Jackson is a good man CB, but will likely take the WR most frequently going long (which may not be Pitt). I'll take Pittman over either one of those guys in a contested toss. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am an optimist as well. One of the bigger one's here. Yes Campbell has been kicking rear - I love it, I just have to see him stay healthy for 1 season before I can actually say, yes he is good. Maybe Matt Ryan is what the doctor ordered for him :thmup:

I am not buying into Campbell until he proves he can stay healthy and produce on a regular basis in real games, something he’s yet to do in his career.  Like Ive said since last year I am done depending on Campbell I view anything the Colts get from his as an added bonus.

• Like 1

He certainly has the talent to make a move into that elite range.  He's been around a bit, has a QB who should be dealing this year behind one of the league's best run games as well, so things are aligned for him.  But there is no need to crown him yet.  I'm gonna enjoy watching him earn it.

16 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Don't worry you don't need your eyes when you have blind faith lol

I think you are being understandably pessimistic but that is ok.  I’m just quoting you to say that was a really good comeback. Well played lol. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I love Pitt, and I think he's top 32 easily. He was 16th IIRC last season. But we do need a dynamic Z or slot. And if we have one of those, it's likely they have as many or more yards than Pitt if they are legit. That doesn't make Pitt less legit at X. On most teams out there with traditional X/Z/slot rotations, Xs simply have less yards than one of the other positions. Frankly I don't care who gets what. We simply need one more legit guy to emerge regardless. 

I know we will spread the ball around but I think a second receiver will emerge and flirt with 1k yards. Ryan will do a good job of getting the ball to the right spot.  He goes for 4K yards and someone besides Pitt will need to get a good chunk of it. Not saying it’s likely we have two 1k receivers but I think it’s possible. This is only a gut feeling but I think Paris gets at least 700yds this year. Going for more will rely on health and we all know that is the million dollar question with him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Your labels are misleading. No not all #1 CBs have both length or height, and speed. And half the teams out there play more zone than man, if not more. 

And we only play a few teams with top 10 CBs all year. Jackson 6-1 and Slay 6-0. Slay plays mostly zone. Jackson is a good man CB, but will likely take the WR most frequently going long (which may not be Pitt). I'll take Pittman over either one of those guys in a contested toss. 

Every team plays more zone than man every year.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:47 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Jerry Rice didn’t have elite speed either. Neither did Reggie, when Marvin retired.
  I’m  not comparing Pittman to them but my point is that, although 4.3 is nice to have, it’s not a prerequisite to being a #1.

He can beat the elite corners by route running , by scheme and by winning 50/50 balls, which shouldn’t be dismissed.

Wouldn’t it be more difficult to defend 4 or 5 “solid” receivers (to go along with an elite run game and an emerging group of TEs,) than to have 1 “superstar” who a.could get injured and b. could be the focus of the defense to slow down? 
        I hope Frank is right and this group excels this year. There’d be a whole lot of “eating crow” amongst the media, if they’re honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this thread has turned into a bunch of label making.  I think what @Moosejawcoltsays has a lot of merit.

At the end of the day, a teams #1 receiver is the guy that the defense fears will score on any play, usually by over the top speed but in some cases exceptional agility or combination of those and strength, like the unicorn DK Metcalf.  

( It also applies to RBs, where Henry and JTs ability to hit the home run put them above most other RBs, the kind the NFL doesn't give big second contracts to)

Pittman is not that home run threat, and will never be an NFL #1 WR...he may get the most yards and receptions on the team, and may even be the first target on the team, but that's not the same thing as being a #1 NFL WR.  

Reggie Wayne was never a #1.  He had either Marvin or TY as the home run threat.  He was a great X, and Pittman could be the same.  But that's not a #1.

And Moose is right about Corners.  The #1s have the whole package.  Gilmore and Rhodes were probably NFL #1 Corners in their prime.  I think defenses play a much greater mix of coverages and situational coverages these days than years before, so maybe those #1 corners either don't have the opportunity to dominate like they used to, or teams are not so much looking to spend money on a #1 corner and accept less talent and make up for it with situational schemes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Jerry Rice didn’t have elite speed either. Neither did Reggie, when Marvin retired.
  I’m  not comparing Pittman to them but my point is that, although 4.3 is nice to have, it’s not a prerequisite to being a #1.

He can beat the elite corners by route running , by scheme and by winning 50/50 balls, which shouldn’t be dismissed.

Wouldn’t it be more difficult to defend 4 or 5 “solid” receivers (to go along with an elite run game and an emerging group of TEs,) than to have 1 “superstar” who a.could get injured and b. could be the focus of the defense to slow down? 
        I hope Frank is right and this group excels this year. There’d be a whole lot of “eating crow” amongst the media, if they’re honest.

Ahhh….  Uhhh….    Ehhhh….  

Beyond the media, there would be a whole lot of eating crow right here in our community.    

When it comes to Pittman he is the best WR in the division so that says a lot right there. Christian Kirk is close but no cigar The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO). Robert Woods isn't better either. Pittman is the best we have and he would the best WR on many teams, about half the league. I have him ranked around 15th best league wise. Just because he isn't a top 10 WR doesn't mean he is a scrub like some make him out to be.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to Pittman he is the best WR in the division so that says a lot right there. Christian Kirk is close but no cigar The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO). Robert Woods isn't better either. Pittman is the best we have and he would the best WR on many teams, about half the league. I have him ranked around 15th best league wise. Just because he isn't a top 10 WR doesn't mean he is a scrub like some make him out to be.

To follow this up I would take Pittman over Kirk, Woods, or Cooks who are all in our division and are good. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is Reich going to say, well everyone outside of Pitt is average lmao . I like our WR room but really overall it is above average at best.

Pittman = good, not very good or great yet but good.

Pierce = unproven, but has good potential, I think he will be average at worse.

Campbell = Injury prone, but has very good potential.

Dulin and Patmon both haven't done much in the league so far. I still think we should sign a Vet and I keep beating the drum of TY for various reasons. TY would at least bring insurance to the team and be average at worse + he knows the coaching staff.

Where did your rose colored glasses go Bestie?

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Where did your rose colored glasses go Bestie?

I am just calling it like I see it for now. I think our WR core has the potential as a whole to be good, Pittman is definitely good. I need to see Campbell stay healthy and see what Pierce is about when the regular season starts. 

• Like 1