Quenton Nelson

sb41champs

Will Quenton Nelson be signed to a long-term contract:

A.  Before training camp opens

B.  By the time training camp ends

C.  Before the regular season begins

D.  Sometime during next off-season

Explain your selection.

I have no question the colts are gonna pay Q, but there has to be some concern with his health. Q already has two back surgeries. Also how will he want to be paid? As the highest paid guard or olinemen. Right now Trent Williams is the highest paid olinemen at 23 mil where Brandon Scherff is the highest paid G at 16.5

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I have no question the colts are gonna pay Q, but there has to be some concern with his health. Q already has two back surgeries. Also how will he want to be paid? As the highest paid guard or olinemen. Right now Trent Williams is the highest paid olinemen at 23 mil where Brandon Scherff is the highest paid G at 16.5

Two back surgeries?    Are you sure about that?    I’m not even sure he’s had one?

The answer is B or C.    These two timelines are almost the same.   About two weeks difference.   This will happen, it’s inky a matter of when, not if. 

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Explain your 

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two back surgeries?    Are you sure about that?    I’m not even sure he’s had one?

The answer is B or C.    These two timelines are almost the same.   About two weeks difference.   This will happen, it’s inky a matter of when, not if. 

Let me ask u this. Say Pryor turns  out to be the answer at LT. What would the Colts then do?

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Kevin Bowen mentioned it as a possibility as Q mentioned he had two surgeries to go with the foot surgery in the off-season last year and he mentioned how Q has had back issues in the past.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sorry….   I don’t follow?    What does Pryor sticking at LT have to do with Nelson?  

Are you suggesting Raimann goes to LG, Pinter stays at RG and Kelly remains at C?  

In which case we’d trade Nelson?   Is that your scenario?   

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….   I don’t follow?    What does Pryor sticking at LT have to do with Nelson?  

Are you suggesting Raimann goes to LG, Pinter stays at RG and Kelly remains at C?  

In which case we’d trade Nelson?   Is that your scenario?   

Pryor is on a one year deal. Say he balls out then what do u ? Smith making 19 million. Kelly making top center dollar. Nelson will probably want north of 20million.

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Pryor is on a one year deal. Say he balls out then what do u ? Smith making 19 million. Kelly making top center dollar. Nelson will probably want north of 20million.

First...    Smith’s AAV is $17.5.   4/70. 

That said, Ballard has talked about forecasting money three years out.   If Pryor is the guy, we will find a way to sign him.  I don’t see us trying to go cheap at LT.   I believe Ballard views the OL as premium positions, so Pryor will be paid, the only question is how much?

And…. Complicating things, next off season, the Colts will be extending Pittman and Taylor.   Both will get a minimum of 4/50, and likely higher.   So next year will get pricey.  Plus, maybe we want to bring back Ngokoue?   Those are big checks to write. 

Plus….  Final decisions will likely be made on players like Okereke, Willis, and maybe even Blackmon?    Also, we may be extending Kenny Moore this summer or next off-season.   And if Ryan has a good year, do we want to extend him before his contract is up?   Maybe. 

Can we re-sign all of them?   Highly doubtful.  Irsay’s wallet is going to be opened repeatedly.   But Ballard has said repeatedly we are re-signing Nelson, so I don’t see that changing.   

7 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'd look to trade him.  OG is not worth 25-30 mil a year.  

Huh?   Where did you get that number?   I’ve never seen anything close to that connected to Q.   

I think the question is….  Does Q get $20m?  
I don’t think $25-30 is even being discussed. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

https://www.sportscasting.com/quenton-nelson-keeping-offseason-surgeries-secret-for-1-big-reason/

One article I could find about. Not sure how trustworthy the source is.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said, Ballard has talked about forecasting money three years out.   If Pryor is the guy, we will find a way to sign him.  I don’t see us trying to go cheap at LT.   I believe Ballard views the OL as premium positions, so Pryor will be paid, the only question is how much?

And…. Complicating things, next off season, the Colts will be extending Pittman and Taylor.   Both will get a minimum of 4/50, and likely higher.   So next year will get pricey.  Plus, maybe we want to bring back Ngokoue?   Those are big checks to write. 

Plus….  Final decisions will likely be made on players like Okereke, Willis, and maybe even Blackmon?    Also, we may be extending Kenny Moore this summer or next off-season.   And if Ryan has a good year, do we want to extend him before his contract is up?   Maybe. 

Can we re-sign all of them?   Highly doubtful.  Irsay’s wallet is going to be opened repeatedly.   But Ballard has said repeatedly we are re-signing Nelson, so I don’t see that changing.   

I would  sign the players based on postional value. 

54 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'd look to trade him.  OG is not worth 25-30 mil a year.  

Ballard has already said they are going to extend him so this line of thought is irrelevant at this point.  That decision has been made.  It’s not when not if like the OP is asking.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly if they all had good years, Taylor and Ngokoue would b my priorities. My  hope is that one of the bigger receivers such as Pathon and Strachan.....my spelling sucks...would step up. I like Pittman but his skill set is not irreplaceable . If Cross works out, we could always grab another  safety next draft, therefore letting Willis walk. Blackmon is hurt 2 years in a row so I would not make any financial commmitment to him next year. Linebacker is not a Poston I pay a lot for. Now Moore is good but I feel they drafted the guy from Yale in the 7th round hoping he shows something at nickel. U know my feelings bout Nelson.  I don't think Pryor is a starting LT. He does not offer anything elite that tells me he could be a long term answer at LT. Now maybe Pyor can play guard?

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Q publicly shared he had 3 surgeries. He would only share his last surgery was the foot, which Reich also confirmed. Q did not share what the first two surgeries were for, but many speculated it was minor disc cleanup surgery, which would make sense given what we heard about his back last year. But who knows. 

7 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Explain your selection.

D.  I think they let the season play out. He had issues with his back and hurt was last year.  Rainmann could come in and play left tackle. Let's say Nelson goes down and Pryor and or (insert name here) goes in and fills in admirably. Also let's say the Colts make a deep play off run. They have some players to sign next year coming up for 2nd contracts. There could be a player in free agency  they feel they need in order to  make another run and that might not include a 20 million a year guard. Just my thoughts but I think they let it play out. I just don't think this is a Ballard decision. I believe Irsay will have some in put on this decision. Ryan is here for a run. Need game changers and cap flexibility over the next 2 -3 years to make that happen.

The longer this takes, the more interesting it will become. 

Given the injury worries, I'm sure they are looking closing at medical evals given the expected contract worth and duration. 

He's one of my favorite players, so hope it works out. I won't pretend though that back issues don't cause concern. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Where did you get that number?   I’ve never seen anything close to that connected to Q.   

I think the question is….  Does Q get $20m?  
I don’t think $25-30 is even being discussed. 

You deserve a trophy for this post but I had to laugh at your response to 25 to 30 million. Where people come up with this stuff is comical.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The longer this takes, the more interesting it will become. 

Given the injury worries, I'm sure they are looking closing at medical evals given the expected contract worth and duration. 

He's one of my favorite players, so hope it works out. I won't pretend though that back issues don't cause concern. 

I think if the expectation is he plays 10-15 games a season during his next contract due to injury his contract is going to reflect that. 

I say C. Let the pre-season process play out. Assuming Q is good to go, they’ll ink a deal. They wont want to have the issue linger and become a cloud on the season in any way. 
I’m figuring a 5 yr/$90m deal with $60m guaranteed. 

This is going to be interesting how the mange the Q, JT, MPJ and Yannick extensions. Still have Kenny Moore to consider. I think Oke and Willis will be allowed to test FA. They aren’t extension type players but could get a short 2nd contract if the price is right. Look for possible cap casualties with Grover, Kelly and my hot take Buckner(trade is possible as well). A lot will depend on how Grover and Buckner do in this new scheme and if Kelly stays healthy and returns to form and Pinter plays well at guard. We even have a way out in Gilmore and Kenny’s contracts. 

Im not saying any of them should or will be cut but it will be interesting to see how they navigate this bc we have a lot of really good players needing new contracts.  Glad it’s not my job. 

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This is going to be interesting how the mange the Q, JT, MPJ and Yannick extensions. Still have Kenny Moore to consider. I think Oke and Willis will be allowed to test FA. They aren’t extension type players but could get a short 2nd contract if the price is right. Look for possible cap casualties with Grover, Kelly and my hot take Buckner(trade is possible as well). A lot will depend on how Grover and Buckner do in this new scheme and if Kelly stays healthy and returns to form and Pinter plays well at guard. We even have a way out in Gilmore and Kenny’s contracts. 

Im not saying any of them should or will be cut but it will be interesting to see how they navigate this bc we have a lot of really good players needing new contracts.  Glad it’s not my job. 

Yep we have a lot of talent that is going to want money. Ballard has his work cut out for him. Imagine if Matt Ryan does ball out and we win the division and make it to at least the AFC Championship, then how about him too? Ryan has 2 years left on his deal but he may be good for 3 or 4 years. QB's that are smart can play well until they are 39 or 40 now days. Ryan will be 37 this season. Rivers at 39 looked good with us in 2020. I see Q signing something like a 18 Mill for 4 year deal, he could 19 for 4 years, etc.. I don't see 20 or more.

49 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I say C. Let the pre-season process play out. Assuming Q is good to go, they’ll ink a deal. They wont want to have the issue linger and become a cloud on the season in any way. 
I’m figuring a 5 yr/$90m deal with $60m guaranteed. 

That sounds about right. I keep saying 4 years but he could get 5.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep we have a lot of talent that is going to want money. Ballard has his work cut out for him. Imagine if Matt Ryan does ball out and we win the division and make it to at least the AFC Championship, then how about him too? Ryan has 2 years left on his deal but he may be good for 3 or 4 years. QB's that are smart can play well until they are 39 or 40 now days. Ryan will be 37 this season. Rivers at 39 looked good with us in 2020. I see Q signing something like a 18 Mill for 4 year deal, he could 19 for 4 years, etc.. I don't see 20 or more.

I know this will be against the norm but I would rather sign Q and maybe Ryan to extensions than JT.  Very few running backs live up to second contract.  Use the franchise tag and see what happens

57 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I know this will be against the norm but I would rather sign Q and maybe Ryan to extensions than JT.  Very few running backs live up to second contract.  Use the franchise tag and see what happens

I honestly think Taylor would live up to his 2nd contract barring no major injury. He is only 23. Once a RB gets to be 28/29 than it gets iffy. To me Matt Ryan has 2 good and possibly 1 great run at a SB = 2022 and 2023 but at least it isn't the silly 1 year band-aid we have had lately. If we drafted a QB next season either in round 1 or 2, I would be ok with it. This season it just made no sense. Matt didn't need that distraction and secondly he needs all the help he can get - holes were filled. I loved our draft and our approach to the 2022 season in Free Agency as well. We are set up to win now with our roster. This is Matt Ryan's ship in 2022 and I am glad and ready to roll with it. Look at how much of a distraction it has been for Tennessee by drafting Willis, Tannehill isn't happy at all. We have every thing working for us right now in 2022. Jags will be much improved so who knows after 2022. I am about this year. 

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think if the expectation is he plays 10-15 games a season during his next contract due to injury his contract is going to reflect that. 

Hard telling since we don't know the medicals. Q is a smart guy. And I'm sure he's somewhat reasonable as well. I have to think if the medicals are good, he'll be 18-20M range. If the medicals create long term questions about the back, but aren't obviously bad, more in the 16-18 range. If the medicals are really a dice roll, then hard telling. I just really hope he's healthy and things work out. I'm not a huge fan of paying a guard that type of money, but I do love Q, and won't lose sleep if he does get 20M. If we do pay him that much though, we need to find value with guys like Pinter and Pryor, or perhaps look at swapping out at OC. 

Archived