Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Strong - QB - Nevada

(Tried a search first, but with that name I was getting 18k plus results) 

Does anyone know anything about this guy? A few mocks have us taking him. Apparently he is a possible first round talent, but his knee issues (going back to high school) are a big red flag. 

One scout was quoted as saying, “He’s going to move around like an old Phillip Rivers, but he’s got special arm talent.” I guess he is also well respected and can lead a locker room.

If he can learn to release the ball sooner and not take the sacks I think a guy like this can do big things. 

I keep looking for a report, even a rumor, of how his medical evaluation at the Combine went.   Those often leak out.   Until we know that,  we won't have a good feel for where he gets drafted.

So, a  rough guess would be,  if the knee is even somewhat OK,  he might go in the 3rd.    And if not,  then perhaps Day 3 in the 4th round or later.....

Still waiting....

If he didn’t have the knee concerns, he’d be at the worst QB2 in this draft. He’s probably the most pro -ready QB in terms of doing all the little things right and having the best IQ. He moves very well in the pocket, goes through progressions, can throw with touch, accuracy, and timing, has a very good arm, etc…

He has legit 1st round talent. The issue is the long term outlook on the knee.

He is one of these guys that MIGHT have a great career

If he slides to late 3rd, I wouldnt be upset if we took a chance on him

Until we get our long term QB situation figured out, I think there is a chance that the Colts could take a chance at a QB

I see Strong as a much better prospect than Sam Ehlinger.

I see Strong as a much .... MUCH better QB than Jacob Eason

They both had cannons for arms, but Strong SEEMS to process the field MUCH faster, and has a much quicker release.

I think a draft of Zappe in round 5 might also make sense........

All that said.....  Who knows what they will do

14 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Didn't Eason have the strongest arm of all also.. :scratch:

If Eason was a Model T ford, Strong is a 2022 Tesla. They're not comparable. Might as well be playing different sports. Eason had an awesome arm and nothing else, this kid has everything else plus the awesome arm....everything else including a knee injury (which we dont seem to have a problem dealing with).

He's my QB1. If he lands at the right spot and gets a year with NFL strength and conditioning, plus serious coaching and teaching, watch out. His ceiling is firmly above the sky in my opinion. Dudes who complete over 70% of their throws while playing in a very aggressive offense, while also maintaining the ability to take what the defense gives them are RARE. I'm a believer. If CB took him in the 2nd round, i would not be surprised.

40 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If Eason was a Model T ford, Strong is a 2022 Tesla. They're not comparable. Might as well be playing different sports. Eason had an awesome arm and nothing else, this kid has everything else plus the awesome arm....everything else including a knee injury (which we dont seem to have a problem dealing with).

He's my QB1. If he lands at the right spot and gets a year with NFL strength and conditioning, plus serious coaching and teaching, watch out. His ceiling is firmly above the sky in my opinion. Dudes who complete over 70% of their throws while playing in a very aggressive offense, while also maintaining the ability to take what the defense gives them are RARE. I'm a believer. If CB took him in the 2nd round, i would not be surprised.

Till I see it I don't believe in Carsons anymore :sarcasm:

On 4/13/2022 at 3:01 PM, Colt.45 said:

If Eason was a Model T ford, Strong is a 2022 Tesla.

I didn't know Teslas had a habit of breaking down.  ;-) 

If CB took him in the 2nd round, i would not be surprised.

I wouldn't either, unfortunately. 

On 4/13/2022 at 12:47 AM, coltsfan_canada said:

Didn't Eason have the strongest arm of all also.. :scratch:

His arm is not Eason strong.  But his head is reportedly much better.  And I agree with @NewColtsFan, the medicals at the Combine were supposed to be a big deal but apparently every team is keeping it tight.

And he moves better than Rivers.  That's just somebody trying to be funny cause they heard he might have a knee issue.

And I can't seem to find that trusty Combine QB ball velocity chart for 2022.  Howell threw it 59mph, that's right up there with the best ever.  But I don't know if it was the same test as before.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, DougDew said:

His arm is not Eason strong. 

? I haven't seen him play, but everything I read says he has a beautiful deep ball. Very strong arm.

If we didn't have Ryan, I could see gambling on him in Round 2. Kind of a boom/bust move but a reasonable one. But with Ryan, the future is now. It makes no sense to go through all that to get Ryan and then go into rebuild mode with a rookie QB. Give Ryan all the help you can. 

16 hours ago, jonjon said:

? I haven't seen him play, but everything I read says he has a beautiful deep ball. Very strong arm.

If we didn't have Ryan, I could see gambling on him in Round 2. Kind of a boom/bust move but a reasonable one. But with Ryan, the future is now. It makes no sense to go through all that to get Ryan and then go into rebuild mode with a rookie QB. Give Ryan all the help you can. 

I wouldn't draft a QB this year at all.

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I wouldn't draft a QB this year at all.

If they like one and he falls to their acceptable range, they're taking one. The present is now but they understand more than ever that they need to secure the future.

17 hours ago, jonjon said:

I don't know if his arm is stronger than Eason's but it'd be a top 5 arm in the NFL right away so the question is, does Eason have the strongest arm in the league?

Archived