Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

tvturner's Scouting Report 2022: Quarterbacks Edition

Some of you may be familiar with these posts from last year, if you aren't I'm doing detailed positional scouting reports on certain prospects from the upcoming NFL Draft.

All of these are my own personal opinions from the games I've watched of them

Feedback and comments are always appreciated.

This seems incredibly relevant with the Rodgers and Wilson not coming to the Colts, and Wentz in limbo.

1036234522.jpg.0.jpg

Matt Corral

Pros: 

He’s as tough and as competitive as you want from your QB

Processing has gotten better every year

Great arm talent

Can throw from multiple angles

Major improvements in decision making, especially in limiting interceptions

Quick throwing release

Mechanics in the pocket are good

Accuracy is fantastic on short to medium routes

Has the arm to bomb it down the field

Elusive as a runner

Cons:

Smaller build at 6’1, 205

Can get into a gunslinger mindset

Deep ball placement needs to improve

Improvement on ball placement to maximize yards

Footwork can still be better

Pocket awareness is iffy

Needs to show he can run an NFL style offense

Progressions are going to get harder in the NFL, he needs to keep improving in that area

Needs to be a smarter runner to avoid injury

Has trouble recognizing where the safety is at times

Projection:

Top 15

1359764317.jpeg

Malik Willis

Pros: 

The best runner in the class

His speed, power, and balance when getting hit is fantastic

Not easy to sack due to his elusiveness

Great teammate and leader

Has a fast release of the football

Arm is strong enough to reach every part of the field

Great footwork when rolling left and right of the pocket

Cons:

Can struggle as a pocket passer

Needs to use the checkdown and crossers more

Doesn’t maximize receiver yards after the catch

Only 6’1

Often times played backyard football

Progressions and reads need to improve at the next level

Can get caught staring down receivers

Accuracy is okay, touch of the football has to get better

Projection:

Top 15

GettyImages-1351364422.jpg

Kenny Pickett

Pros: 

Has quick feet

Elusive as a runner

Can make difficult throws in between traffic

Accuracy is great on short to medium throws

Arm strength is absolutely NFL level

Ball placement on receivers is fantastic, will throw them open

Tough teammate and a great leader

Good height

Can fit into NFL offenses easily

Isn’t afraid to take the checkdown

Good footwork in the pocket

Cons:

Hands are tiny, uses gloves on both of them

Gets uncomfortable when the pocket collapses

Ball placement downfield is average

Touch at the next level needs to improve

One year wonder

Pre snap reads and progressions need to get better

Processor needs to be faster

Decision making has been questionable in different games

Projection:

Top 25

16691537.jpeg

Carson Strong

Pros: 

Arm strength and talent is some of the best, if not the best in the class

Can reach any part of the field he’d like to

Accuracy and precision is excellent on short routes, crossers, digs, and comebackers, medium routes, and passes in traffic

Was a team captain 

Great height at 6’4

Footwork is among the best of the class

Arm release is quick, doesn’t have trouble with arm angles

Awareness of the field and the offense is very good

Ball comes out quickly, he’s shown flashes of maximizing ball placement to get the most out of his receivers while also saving them from big hits

Footwork is fluid when moving through the pocket

Cons:

Medicals need to clear, significant knee injury history

Not a threat as a runner due to injuries, will be limited heavily to a pocket passer

Can take sacks by holding onto the ball for too long

Has struggled big time with reads and progressions 

Projection:

Mid 2nd Round

ridder.jpg

Desmond Ridder

Pros: 

Mobile and fast enough to scramble and run around

Mechanics and footwork are solid

Has good zip and touch on the football

Team captain 

Patience with longer routes

Arm is strong enough to make most throws

Has flashes of excellent accuracy and placement

Has thrown off DBs with his eyes

Can throw off platform if needed

Cons:

Average deep ball placement, throws fall flat

Slow release

Inconsistent when hitting midfield receivers

Struggles getting through progressions

Overall placement and velocity are subpar

Gets himself sacked

Doesn’t give receivers a chance in the field

Projection:

2nd Round

15390250.jpeg

Sam Howell

Pros: 

Incredibly confident player

Good movement inside the pocket, knows when to step up

Decent as a runner

Can make off platform and has the arm slots to make throws

Made it some of his last reads quite often

Cons:

Gets sacked on his own accord a lot

Slow arm release

Has issues with placement, accuracy, zip, touch, and YAC potential

Will fall off his shoulders

Decision making and knowing when to give up on a play needs to improve

Processor needs to be faster at the line

Deep balls fall flat

Projection:

2nd Round

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Great post

I want either Howell Riddler Strong or Corral but doubt Corral falls 

Strong is my favorite though 

I like Carson Strong. He's a throwback which is a funny thing to say because it feels like it was yesterday when players would get dinged for being scrambling QBs.

In Indy, he could really bloom. He's a hard one to project 3-4 years down the line because as much as he could be [insert name of any great pocket passer with prototypical size], he could also cap at being a Joe Flacco which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He can play though and i think the knocks on him re: his scrambling ability are absurd. The kid can move in the pocket, and can throw to all layers of the field. The football world can overthink things some times. He's not my QB1 but he's on my shortlist of 4.

If we bring in someone like that, we need to really keep him tethered in that first year or two so make him do what we had Wentz doing ie being a game manager. I think for most rookie QBs, that's an important step. His ceiling? Who knows. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Great post

I want either Howell Riddler Strong or Corral but doubt Corral falls 

Strong is my favorite though 

I don’t know what it is…..

But in post after post, you keep calling Ridder, RIDDLER.    You add an L. 

He’s not a character from Batman.  It’s Ridder.    

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know what it is…..

But in post after post, you keep calling Ridder, RIDDLER.    You add an L. 

He’s not a character from Batman.  It’s Ridder.    

Autocorrect my friends just saw new Batman lmao

Thanks for this writeup

I also think the best QB in this group is Corral ,he has a great release, good accuracy, and mobility

If they wanted to go "all in" for a QB (I hope they dont) he would be it

I think RIDDLER :) (J/K Danlhart) has an extremely slow release that will get him clobbered just like he did against Alabama

The DL batted ball after ball

Most of these guys will need to sit 1 or 2 years

For the Colts I have it down to 3 guys: Strong, Ridder, and Howell.

Based on the things Ballard likes, I can see  any of those guys being drafted. I get a strong feeling about Ridder though. His intangibles are off the charts. I think he was something like 45-3 as a starter, team captain, and coaches rave about his leadership and work ethic. Ballard loves that type of stuff. Plus he’s got real speed as a runner and is probably further along than Malik Willis is as a passer.

Something to note about Howell is that when you look at the early relationship that Reich had with Wentz, one thing they shared was how big into their faith they both were. Not saying this decides whether or not we draft him, but Howell is another guy who is very strong in his faith.

Strong is a guy who I want to write off but can’t. It’s probably a toss up between him and Pickett as to who is the most pro ready. All the stuff you want to see a QB does, he can already do. He goes through progressions, knows how to move in the pocket, is accurate, etc… The biggest issue is the knee injury/limited mobility and lack of a standout trait. I see some Derrick Carr in him.

It should be noted though that on this podcast called the NFL Stock Exchange (one of the co-hosts is from PFF) that I listen too, they mentioned that there was talk in Indy that the Colts like Kenny Pickett.

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

For the Colts I have it down to 3 guys: Strong, Ridder, and Howell.

Based on the things Ballard likes, I can see  any of those guys being drafted. I get a strong feeling about Ridder though. His intangibles are off the charts. I think he was something like 45-3 as a starter, team captain, and coaches rave about his leadership and work ethic. Ballard loves that type of stuff. Plus he’s got real speed as a runner and is probably further along than Malik Willis is as a passer.

Something to note about Howell is that when you look at the early relationship that Reich had with Wentz, one thing they shared was how big into their faith they both were. Not saying this decides whether or not we draft him, but Howell is another guy who is very strong in his faith.

Strong is a guy who I want to write off but can’t. It’s probably a toss up between him and Pickett as to who is the most pro ready. All the stuff you want to see a QB does, he can already do. He goes through progressions, knows how to move in the pocket, is accurate, etc… The biggest issue is the knee injury/limited mobility and lack of a standout trait. I see some Derrick Carr in him.

It should be noted though that on this podcast called the NFL Stock Exchange (one of the co-hosts is from PFF) that I listen too, they mentioned that there was talk in Indy that the Colts like Kenny Pickett.

Those are my top three as well. I have started to add in Malik Willis too though i think he goes before pick 20 (i don't think we trade up to the top 20)...I think his intangibles are up there and the kid is a playmaker, the question is whether you can make him pro-ready, it won't be something you can do in season 1 but right now, i think he's as good a QB as Ridder or Howell.

Strong is QB1 for me. Similarly i wanted to write him off then i started watching...he's not the guy you actively go for as a GM (i.e. i'm sure every GM would pick a great scrambler who can also play in the pocket ala Andrew Luck) but if this guy is within reach, i don't see how you ignore what he brings to the table esp if the knee checks out. The arm is the truth and unlike Eason, he can make ALL the throws.

I think where he could be >>> Carr is he will go deep 10 times outta 10 if you let him. 

As far as standout trait....I think the behind the scenes stuff might actually be where he's best, the guy is a competitor.

On Pickett, he's projected to be the 1st QB off the board right? I doubt the Colts get to make a decision with him. I think he could be some team's Eli Manning. If someone with a good line and some weapons drafts him, i think they can do magic but long term, he's not the kind of QB who i think teams dream of, but they'll take him gladly and if they have a plan then it can work out. 

2022 draft QB ranking:

1. Strong - I think he's QB1 by some margin especially if his knee checks out fine. I think with every other QB, you have to talk yourself into them. With this kid, he can play quarterback, it's simply a matter of the medical. Without knee issues, he's Goff/Peyton/Flacco/Brady slow already, the knee has to check out.

2. Howell - I think his growth last year was hindered by a sieve of an O-line plus the hemorrhage of receiving talent. NC fans think he's the greatest QB to don the colors. The dude can play but as is the case with everyone in this class, there are question marks. As is the case with everyone not named Carson Strong, i think he might need some time to acclimate to NFL speed but with time and continued growth, he can play in this league.

3. Malik Willis - Raw but so much to like. A team that's willing to build around him like Baltimore did with Lamar will make out like a bandit. My fear for this guy is he winds up at one of these bottom feeder teams who never quite seem to be able to get out of their own way, and then everything the media has written negatively about Willis turns out correct while the more important side of the story never gets told. Simply put, if this guy lands in a winning organization, he's going to do well.

4. Ridder - The intangibles are probably unrivaled in this class. Dude is a leader and has a work ethic/drive that is not normal. Changed the mindset of Bearcat football almost singlehandedly BUT he needs work mechanically. I think if the Colts got this kid and handled him like the Pats did with Brady then there's a chance he succeeds but he's probably a kid who needs a year to get ready for NFL speed and even then will possibly need training wheels for a couple seasons but i put no limits on this kid as far as who he could be in the pros, if he has time i think he just gets better and better but this is the NFL and that time is rarely given. **the Brady route is pairing the rookie with a vet with an eye on starting him mid season or the next year, and putting the training wheels on the rookie for years. Same thing Belichick is doing with Mac Jones TBF.

5. Pickett - Pro ready. Reminds me of Eli Manning. He can win you a SB or two if things are right but in all likelihood, as is the case with Willis, he likely ends up at a bottom feeder and does nothing which means he likely ends up like Trubisky or one of those guys. If he goes to a functional organization with a plan, he will solve their QB needs for multiple years. I think his ceiling is Eli though which can be good or bad depending on how you view the lesser Manning.

6. Corral - There're things in his tape that make you sit up, he reminds one of ARod in some ways, but then you watch long enough and there're just holes in his game. I don't see it with him. He is the kind of QB who can tease coaches into thinking they've got a pro-bowler but that next step just never arrives. I wish him well as i do all these young men but he doesnt remind me of a franchise QB

7. Eleby - The potential is there. He's probably a late rounder/UDFA but if this kid turns out to be the next Tony Romo, i'm claiming dibs on calling it out first. Humble, sponge of a QB. Can already make some NFL throws but needs to add more to it. Again another guy who needs the right place. Honestly i'd rather have him as a late rounder than getting a Pickett or Corral. Eleby will need training wheels but i think he has good - great upside, in some ways he reminds me of Donovan Mcnabb in his Syracuse days, same vibe (still trying to put a finger on it but whenever he throws deep, i think Mcnabb)

8. Zappe - Accurate but the arm is....I'll put it this way, I liked Tyler Huntley and Anthony Gordon and think this guy is a watered down version of those guys. Maybe if he bulked up and somehow got some more power on deep throws. I don't see it with him, maybe others do.

9. Crum - Big arm. Slow actions. I think he is a very intelligent player but if you bring him in, i think you do so with the expectation that he's a practice squad QB and you take it from there. 

On 3/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, tvturner said:

Some of you may be familiar with these posts from last year, if you aren't I'm doing detailed positional scouting reports on certain prospects from the upcoming NFL Draft.

All of these are my own personal opinions from the games I've watched of them

Feedback and comments are always appreciated.

This seems incredibly relevant with the Rodgers and Wilson not coming to the Colts, and Wentz in limbo.

1036234522.jpg.0.jpg

Matt Corral

Pros: 

He’s as tough and as competitive as you want from your QB

Processing has gotten better every year

Great arm talent

Can throw from multiple angles

Major improvements in decision making, especially in limiting interceptions

Quick throwing release

Mechanics in the pocket are good

Accuracy is fantastic on short to medium routes

Has the arm to bomb it down the field

Elusive as a runner

Cons:

Smaller build at 6’1, 205

Can get into a gunslinger mindset

Deep ball placement needs to improve

Improvement on ball placement to maximize yards

Footwork can still be better

Pocket awareness is iffy

Needs to show he can run an NFL style offense

Progressions are going to get harder in the NFL, he needs to keep improving in that area

Needs to be a smarter runner to avoid injury

Has trouble recognizing where the safety is at times

Projection:

Top 15

1359764317.jpeg

Malik Willis

Pros: 

The best runner in the class

His speed, power, and balance when getting hit is fantastic

Not easy to sack due to his elusiveness

Great teammate and leader

Has a fast release of the football

Arm is strong enough to reach every part of the field

Great footwork when rolling left and right of the pocket

Cons:

Can struggle as a pocket passer

Needs to use the checkdown and crossers more

Doesn’t maximize receiver yards after the catch

Only 6’1

Often times played backyard football

Progressions and reads need to improve at the next level

Accuracy is okay, touch of the football has to get better

Projection:

Top 15

GettyImages-1351364422.jpg

Kenny Pickett

Pros: 

Has quick feet

Elusive as a runner

Can make difficult throws in between traffic

Accuracy is great on short to medium throws

Arm strength is absolutely NFL level

Ball placement on receivers is fantastic, will throw them open

Tough teammate and a great leader

Good height

Can fit into NFL offenses easily

Isn’t afraid to take the checkdown

Good footwork in the pocket

Cons:

Hands are tiny, uses gloves on both of them

Gets uncomfortable when the pocket collapses

Ball placement downfield is average

Touch at the next level needs to improve

One year wonder

Pre snap reads and progressions need to get better

Processor needs to be faster

Decision making has been questionable in different games

Projection:

Top 25

16691537.jpeg

Carson Strong

Pros: 

Arm strength and talent is some of the best, if not the best in the class

Can reach any part of the field he’d like to

Accuracy and precision is excellent on short routes, crossers, digs, and comebackers, medium routes, and passes in traffic

Was a team captain 

Great height at 6’4

Footwork is among the best of the class

Arm release is quick, doesn’t have trouble with arm angles

Awareness of the field and the offense is very good

Ball comes out quickly, he’s shown flashes of maximizing ball placement to get the most out of his receivers while also saving them from big hits

Footwork is fluid when moving through the pocket

Cons:

Medicals need to clear, significant knee injury history

Not a threat as a runner due to injuries, will be limited heavily to a pocket passer

Can take sacks by holding onto the ball for too long

Has struggled big time with reads and progressions 

Projection:

Mid 2nd Round

ridder.jpg

Desmond Ridder

Pros: 

Mobile and fast enough to scramble and run around

Mechanics and footwork are solid

Has good zip and touch on the football

Team captain 

Patience with longer routes

Arm is strong enough to make most throws

Has flashes of excellent accuracy and placement

Has thrown off DBs with his eyes

Can throw off platform if needed

Cons:

Average deep ball placement, throws fall flat

Slow release

Inconsistent when hitting midfield receivers

Struggles getting through progressions

Overall placement and velocity are subpar

Gets himself sacked

Doesn’t give receivers a chance in the field

Projection:

2nd Round

15390250.jpeg

Sam Howell

Pros: 

Incredibly confident player

Good movement inside the pocket, knows when to step up

Decent as a runner

Can make off platform and has the arm slots to make throws

Made it some of his last reads quite often

Cons:

Gets sacked on his own accord a lot

Slow arm release

Has issues with placement, accuracy, zip, touch, and YAC potential

Will fall off his shoulders

Decision making and knowing when to give up on a play needs to improve

Processor needs to be faster at the line

Deep balls fall flat

Projection:

2nd Round

With the Wentz situation resolved, if the Colts plan to take one of these QB's I hope it's Willis. I've been high on him from early this year. Whomever they have the at the top of their board, the ideal area for trade-up is between 13 and 17, getting in front of New Orleans and Pittsburgh. That would take 2nd and 3rd this year, next year's 1st and maybe a player. 

3 hours ago, ColtV said:

With the Wentz situation resolved, if the Colts plan to take one of these QB's I hope it's Willis. I've been high on him from early this year. Whomever they have the at the top of their board, the ideal area for trade-up is between 13 and 17, getting in front of New Orleans and Pittsburgh. That would take 2nd and 3rd this year, next year's 1st and maybe a player. 

Respectfully,

I REALLY HOPE that IF the Colts trade up, they don't touch next years first a part of a trade

The QBs appear to be much stronger next year vs this year

If we tank, we may be taking a toss with an average QB and miss the franchise guy next year

Willis has been playing at Liberty, which isnt preparing anyone for immediate NFL play

They dont see the mutitude of defensive schemes that he will have to learn in the pros

He also was ALWAYS the best athlete on the field.......  Not in the pros

If you want to take a swing at QB this year, get Strong in round 2 or take a flyer later on Zappe at 4

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I REALLY HOPE that IF the Colts trade up, they don't touch next years first a part of a trade

The QBs appear to be much strong next year vs this year

If we tank, we may be taking a toss with an average QB and miss the franchise guy next year

Willis has been playing at Liberty, which isnt preparing anyone for immediate NFL play

They dont see the mutitude of defensive schemes that he will have to learn in the pros

I agree on including next years first. I'm more inclined to use a 2022 pick to obtain more 2023 ammo to move up in the first next year.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully,

The QBs appear to be much stronger next year vs this year

If you want to take a swing at QB this year, get Strong in round 2 or take a flyer later on Zappe at 4

While I agree in principal about Willis, I think regardless of which qb drafted this year the Colts would still need to sign a vet back up to ease the transition(and be a proper back-up). I just think Willis' physical abilities put him above the other prospects. 

Re: next year's 1st. I don't think just a 2nd and 3rd gets them into the 13-17 range they would need to take a top rated qb. Looking at the draft chart, the numbers don't get them there. Totally agree about 2023 qb class, but can/will they wait? That's the big question. 

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Bumping this up.

@stitches what are you seeing in Willis? You've obviously got him high on your wish list

I think he's the QB with highest potential and with most elite traits in this draft. He's an exceptional athlete, explosive and elusive, he's got the strongest arm in the draft too. Makes plays off-schedule both with his feet and with his arm. Great accuracy outside the numbers, the best in the draft IMO. His problems - it's weird that I like him this much when the biggest problems with his game mirror the things I was most * off about with Wentz' game - holds the ball too much, a bit of a hero ball mentality, below average anticipation, average-ish command of the offense, some problems with his footwork. Right now he's a great athlete and a great thrower of the ball, but I wouldn't call him great QB. He will need time and development IMO... but his ceiling is the highest out of any QB in this draft.  

I just keep hearing more and more about Ridder. McShay was gushing over him on ESPN. I’m really starting to think he’s out in front. He’s like Kwity Paye in the fact that he’s got every trait the staff loves.

My rankings in terms of who I think has the best chances of getting drafted by the Colts are now

1. Desmond Ridder

2. Kenny Pickett 

3. Carson Strong

4. Sam Howell.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think he's the QB with highest potential and with most elite traits in this draft. He's an exceptional athlete, explosive and elusive, he's got the strongest arm in the draft too. Makes plays off-schedule both with his feet and with his arm. Great accuracy outside the numbers, the best in the draft IMO. His problems - it's weird that I like him this much when the biggest problems with his game mirror the things I was most * off about with Wentz' game - holds the ball too much, a bit of a hero ball mentality, below average anticipation, average-ish command of the offense, some problems with his footwork. Right now he's a great athlete and a great thrower of the ball, but I wouldn't call him great QB. He will need time and development IMO... but his ceiling is the highest out of any QB in this draft.  

What do you think of him in terms of pocket play? His O-line was not great but there seemed to be times when he just broke out running when i thought he could have stayed in the pocket.

Also, do you think he is better now than what Jalen Hurts was in college - in and out of structure?

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just keep hearing more and more about Ridder. McShay was gushing over him on ESPN. I’m really starting to think he’s out in front. He’s like Kwity Paye in the fact that he’s got every trait the staff loves.

My rankings in terms of who I think has the best chances of getting drafted by the Colts are now

1. Desmond Ridder

2. Kenny Pickett 

3. Carson Strong

4. Sam Howell.

Loved Ridder initially. I said he could be Tom Brady which shows how much i think of him. If he goes somewhere that's willing to develop him, i can see him being an elite guy in a few years. I think his intangibles are without match in this class.

Tape-wise though, i think he's behind Willis, Strong, and Howell. Just inaccurate to a worrisome degree.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

What do you think of him in terms of pocket play? His O-line was not great but there seemed to be times when he just broke out running when i thought he could have stayed in the pocket.

Also, do you think he is better now than what Jalen Hurts was in college - in and out of structure?

pocket play needs development - pre-snap recognition and adjustments, and even post-snap awareness of dropping defenders can be better... throwing with anticipation needs improvement. One thing I think he is better than most people give him credit for is progression reads... he's inconsistent with them, but I wouldn't call him bad - there are plenty of cases when if he's kept clean, he actually does full field progression reads, something not many QBs are asked to do, let alone able to do. I think he's shown enough flashes in that regard to think that it might actually become a strength with better coaching and more structured offense. 

About Hurts - I think he's better than Hurts out of structure, both with his feet and with his throwing on the move. About his pocket play - they are probably at about the same level entering the league. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:19 AM, Colt.45 said:

2022 draft QB ranking:

1. Strong - I think he's QB1 by some margin especially if his knee checks out fine. I think with every other QB, you have to talk yourself into them. With this kid, he can play quarterback, it's simply a matter of the medical. Without knee issues, he's Goff/Peyton/Flacco/Brady slow already, the knee has to check out.

2. Howell - I think his growth last year was hindered by a sieve of an O-line plus the hemorrhage of receiving talent. NC fans think he's the greatest QB to don the colors. The dude can play but as is the case with everyone in this class, there are question marks. As is the case with everyone not named Carson Strong, i think he might need some time to acclimate to NFL speed but with time and continued growth, he can play in this league.

3. Malik Willis - Raw but so much to like. A team that's willing to build around him like Baltimore did with Lamar will make out like a bandit. My fear for this guy is he winds up at one of these bottom feeder teams who never quite seem to be able to get out of their own way, and then everything the media has written negatively about Willis turns out correct while the more important side of the story never gets told. Simply put, if this guy lands in a winning organization, he's going to do well.

4. Ridder - The intangibles are probably unrivaled in this class. Dude is a leader and has a work ethic/drive that is not normal. Changed the mindset of Bearcat football almost singlehandedly BUT he needs work mechanically. I think if the Colts got this kid and handled him like the Pats did with Brady then there's a chance he succeeds but he's probably a kid who needs a year to get ready for NFL speed and even then will possibly need training wheels for a couple seasons but i put no limits on this kid as far as who he could be in the pros, if he has time i think he just gets better and better but this is the NFL and that time is rarely given. **the Brady route is pairing the rookie with a vet with an eye on starting him mid season or the next year, and putting the training wheels on the rookie for years. Same thing Belichick is doing with Mac Jones TBF.

5. Pickett - Pro ready. Reminds me of Eli Manning. He can win you a SB or two if things are right but in all likelihood, as is the case with Willis, he likely ends up at a bottom feeder and does nothing which means he likely ends up like Trubisky or one of those guys. If he goes to a functional organization with a plan, he will solve their QB needs for multiple years. I think his ceiling is Eli though which can be good or bad depending on how you view the lesser Manning.

6. Corral - There're things in his tape that make you sit up, he reminds one of ARod in some ways, but then you watch long enough and there're just holes in his game. I don't see it with him. He is the kind of QB who can tease coaches into thinking they've got a pro-bowler but that next step just never arrives. I wish him well as i do all these young men but he doesnt remind me of a franchise QB

7. Eleby - The potential is there. He's probably a late rounder/UDFA but if this kid turns out to be the next Tony Romo, i'm claiming dibs on calling it out first. Humble, sponge of a QB. Can already make some NFL throws but needs to add more to it. Again another guy who needs the right place. Honestly i'd rather have him as a late rounder than getting a Pickett or Corral. Eleby will need training wheels but i think he has good - great upside, in some ways he reminds me of Donovan Mcnabb in his Syracuse days, same vibe (still trying to put a finger on it but whenever he throws deep, i think Mcnabb)

8. Zappe - Accurate but the arm is....I'll put it this way, I liked Tyler Huntley and Anthony Gordon and think this guy is a watered down version of those guys. Maybe if he bulked up and somehow got some more power on deep throws. I don't see it with him, maybe others do.

9. Crum - Big arm. Slow actions. I think he is a very intelligent player but if you bring him in, i think you do so with the expectation that he's a practice squad QB and you take it from there. 

I've watched significantly more tape on these guys. Updated list.

1. Strong

2. Ridder

3. Willis

4. Howell

5.Corral

6. Crum

7. Zappe

7. Eleby

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thats what a couple of analysts thought that he had all the intangible but innacurate

I watched more tape. I bumped Ridder up to QB2. Still same issues but i think he has more upside than Howell/Willis

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

I watched more tape. I bumped Ridder up to QB2. Still same issues but i think he has more upside than Howell/Willis

Ridder is a top shelf leader and has a strong arm

The very slow release and innacuracy on him are a bit alarming to me

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ridder is a top shelf leader and has a strong arm

The very slow release and innacuracy on him are a bit alarming to me

Yeeeeeah. You've seen it too! Sometimes that windup feels like it's driving all the way from Warsaw to Bloomington, so slow. 

As is the case with the others in the class, he will need to be protected by his team if he starts from day 1. Lots of short throws and run heavy gameplans. 

Born leader though, guys will follow him. Easy to see why Cincy had the seasons they did with him at QB.

I've watched a couple more QBs who I think deserve a shout.

Skylar Thompson from K-State reminds me of Dak Prescott, maybe a lil less arm power.

D'Eriq King from the Hurricanes. Dude can be a tricky player, probably will be a UDFA but keep his name in mind.

16 hours ago, Archer said:

Mark me down for Strong, but I’m not willing to trade up for one of these QBs.  I think I’d most like to target Zappe in the 3rd or 4th, or roll with Baker and Ehlinger (if we get Mayfield).

I think it depends on how the draft unfurls, and what the asking price is, plus of course how much we love the talent. Many were aghast when we traded up for JT, if we like the player and think he will add, go for it.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, Defjamz26 said:

1. Desmond Ridder

2. Kenny Pickett 

3. Carson Strong

4. Sam Howell.

Respectfully

I cant seem to get excited over Ridder

Watch the Alabama game.  They were batting balls back into his face as his windup is so slow

Watch some game tape (not highlights) on Ridder

Then watch some tape (not highlights) on Corral

The quicker release from Corral will work better in the pros

I would also add that Ridder played against mostly tomato can schedule (Yeah.... I know he beat ND))

Tulane, Temple, SMU, USF, Navy, just dont equal up to SEC

Corral was more accurate and had a 9 point better rating and he played angainst the SEC almosrt every week

He has seen top shelf DBs

I love the attitude that Ridder has.....  But I see career backup

IMHO....  I would rather have Corral

My fear is that Ridder will = Brisett

On 3/16/2022 at 1:13 PM, Colt.45 said:

I've watched significantly more tape on these guys. Updated list.

1. Strong

2. Ridder

3. Willis

4. Howell

5.Corral

6. Crum

7. Zappe

7. Eleby

Strong seems to have good pocket presence and the guy has a cannon

I could live with Strong, or Corral.......

I wonder if the Colts have the stones to start the year with one of these two

Id rather have Winston and then Mayfield

Then a rookie starter

If you believe the mock drafts....  Corral is late first early 2nd Strong is late 2

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully

I cant seem to get excited over Ridder

Watch the Alabama game.  They were batting balls back into his face as his windup is so slow

Watch some game tape (not highlights) on Ridder

Then watch some tape (not highlights) on Corral

The quicker release from Corral will work better in the pros

I would also add that Ridder played against mostly tomato can schedule (Yeah.... I know he beat ND))

Tulane, Temple, SMU, USF, Navy, just dont equal up to SEC

Corral was more accurate and had a 9 point better rating and he played angainst the SEC almosrt every week

He has seen top shelf DBs

I love the attitude that Ridder has.....  But I see career backup

IMHO....  I would rather have Corral

My fear is that Ridder will = Brisett

Those are fair criticisms. With Ridder it’s the same story as with Willis. You’re banking on the physical traits and intangibles.

-His wind up can be fixed and he’s been working with Jordan Palmer (probably the real QB whisper) o. His mechanics since the season ended.

-I try not to factor In level of competition  (unless we’re talking Division 2/3 schools) with prospects because you can’t do anything but play the schedule in front of you. Also he looked better against Alabama than Michigan looked against Georgia.

-You can’t teach what Ridder has naturally. He’s one hell of an athlete for a guy who has a pass first mentality. Character is outstanding and that means a lot (just ask Baker and Wentz) at the next level. He also barely lost in college.

Low floor but high ceiling. I don’t disagree with any of your criticisms though. I would also say his ball placement is really the biggest issue for me.

Corral is the best QB in this draft.  He's not a big guy, but he's big enough.  Great feel in the pocket.  Quick reactions when things go off sched.  Excellent athlete and it translates to his movement.  Has the arm to drill the deep outs required at this level to ensure DBs cover the entire field.

But most importantly he is ultra-competitive.  He wins games.  Mentally tough and it's going to help him a lot as he takes on that NFL QB job which is one of the toughest in sports.  When you draft a QB nowadays you're betting on who he'll be five years down the line because in this league few guys are going to operate at the highest level right away.  They have to be a little bit crazy to grow into a great QB.  A little deranged and driven to succeed.

This class is full of iffy prospects at QB but some of them might well succeed.  Not a great class but I think if I needed a QB that I would make sure I get Corral.  Doubt he will climb to the top, however he will probably climb since all it takes is one team and there are plenty of teams unhappy with their signal callers.

I like Carson Strong as a consolation prize for not being able to get What you Talkin about Willis.

Buti don't think he'll be there at #42 and doubt Ballard picks him if he is.

'The Riddler' could be fun 'cause he's more mobile but again don't think Ballard will draft a QB this year......mostly because they didn't address WR, LT, CB, S, TE in FA so they need the 2nd & 3rd round picks to do so in a more economical  way than FA.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:27 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I like Carson Strong as a consolation prize for not being able to get What you Talkin about Willis.

Buti don't think he'll be there at #42 and doubt Ballard picks him if he is.

'The Riddler' could be fun 'cause he's more mobile but again don't think Ballard will draft a QB this year......mostly because they didn't address WR, LT, CB, S, TE in FA so they need the 2nd & 3rd round picks to do so in a more economical  way than FA.

It's all about how the draft falls, I suspect Strong might be there in the 3rd. If Ridder is there at 42, they may take him.

Archived