Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sirianni in the Playoffs we are staying home.

ojsglove

50 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Jimmy has overthrown at least 2 WRs. 1st one the guy could have taken it to the house bc he toasted the corner. Last one was an INT that is letting the cowboys back in this game. People focusing on the TY throw in the Raiders game don’t understand how much it happens every game. 

Yep.  And he snapped the ball too soon on the 4th and inches.

Dak gave the ball to the C instead of the Umpire, losing his chance for the final play.

Some very good QBs messed up at critical moments.  It happens.  Maybe Ballard should trade the farm for one of them.

The next guy would certainly be better than Wentz.......

Since it seems that a SB Qb means that they have to be a perfect QB, maybe we'll never have a SB unless we get a PM, Luck, Rodgers, an elite vet, or a top 5 rookie?   

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Interesting how Aikman is pointing out the consistent one on one coverage of Davonte Smith by TB, but that Sirianni is still SCHEMING cute plays.   These analytics based play callers are simple control freaks, LOL.

Wentz did much better against TB.  Even with throwing 26 passes in a row....

Wentz also seems to be good at hurry up offense.  I wish would do that more, rather than only doing it at the last minute during games we are losing.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, csmopar said:

the common denominator... Wentz

And the PHI OL (and injuries) got blamed last year…as did the lack of pass catchers…as did the coaching. 

Wentz was obviously improved over last year for a good portion of this season, but eventually he regressed back to his 2020 self.

We can create narratives for why it happened, but that it happened is what matters. And the sample size is only getting larger.

Going into next season with the goal of making sure Wentz doesn’t do that again seems very risky. At this point, how does the upside outweigh the downside?

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

At this point, how does the upside outweigh the downside

I honestly think we're in one of those situations where someone has a busted car and doesn't have enough to change it with a new one so you throw a few improvements at it and hope it lasts you a couple years until you can move on.

8 hours ago, IinD said:

I honestly think we're in one of those situations where someone has a busted car and doesn't have enough to change it with a new one so you throw a few improvements at it and hope it lasts you a couple years until you can move on.

That’s actually fairly accurate 

15 hours ago, IinD said:

Sure...but the car in this case is a F1 race car and they are trying to win the Monaco Grand *. They need those improvements anyways, but they also need a new driver.

A regular car that can still run gets you from point A to B. If that's all the Colts want to do, then I guess it doesn't really matter who the driver is, but that seems like even less reason to hold onto the fairly expensive one they have.

16 hours ago, IinD said:

Wow if that isn’t accurate. Great job. I think they are also trying to maximize the chances they win now with the guys they have in their prime. They don’t want a rookie when so many are ready to win. But probably best just to pull the band aid off and just take a setback for a year or so.

16 hours ago, shasta519 said:

And the PHI OL (and injuries) got blamed last year…as did the lack of pass catchers…as did the coaching. 

Wentz was obviously improved over last year for a good portion of this season, but eventually he regressed back to his 2020 self.

We can create narratives for why it happened, but that it happened is what matters. And the sample size is only getting larger.

Going into next season with the goal of making sure Wentz doesn’t do that again seems very risky. At this point, how does the upside outweigh the downside?

I will say this. It might be better to stick with him and not give up any more assets and target a QB in this draft or 23.  But I doubt Irsay has that kind of patience.

49 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Sure...but the car in this case is a F1 race car and they are trying to win the Monaco Grand *. They need those improvements anyways, but they also need a new driver.

A regular car that can still run gets you from point A to B. If that's all the Colts want to do, then I guess it doesn't really matter who the driver is, but that seems like even less reason to hold onto the fairly expensive one they have.

You're not wrong, but if it's me, I honestly crash and burn with Wentz (just for next year).

We aren't winning anything without a pass rush, LT and the other few needs we have.

Fix what you can next year and if he crashes, go draft that QB in 23'.

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I will say this. It might be better to stick with him and not give up any more assets and target a QB in this draft or 23.  But I doubt Irsay has that kind of patience.

To play devil's advocate...but why?

The Colts just won 9 games with Wentz. Barring a full implosion, I doubt they would be picking super high with Wentz at QB. 

So it's not like that is going to get you closer to a franchise QB.  

However, if you draft one now...you might have a possible solution by the end of next season. And if not, then go draft one. It's bad organizations that hang onto QBs, because that is the path of least resistance. 

Imagine if KC had kept Alex Smith or BUF had stuck with Tyrod Taylor. Or the LAR with Goff. Or TB with Winston. Or NE with Cam. 

It seems like good organizations are honest with themselves.

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

You're not wrong, but if it's me, I honestly crash and burn with Wentz (just for next year).

We aren't winning anything without a pass rush, LT and the other few needs we have.

Fix what you can next year and if he crashes, go draft that QB in 23'.

Ok...but if you are going to really crash and burn...then  I guess I would do it with a cheap or rookie QB. 

Running it back with Wentz to crash and burn seems counter-intuitive. He's certainly not looking to do that, so he will be playing for his career. And if he does crash and burn, it just reflects even more poorly on the GM and HC. And if it's embarrassing enough to Irsay, it might cost someone their job.

Plus, he will be a constant topic of debate every week he is the starter. And that could easily become a distraction. And while the locker room is strong, I don't think any locker room is above potential division.

And if Wentz is just an average QB, you are still picking middle of the round at best. Or maybe they even sneak into playoffs, then you suddenly have a QB controversy.

I know I am being repetitive, but I just see so much downside with very little upside.

I don't know...even though it's cliche...ripping the band-aid off seems like the best path.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

To play devil's advocate...but why?

The Colts just won 9 games with Wentz. Barring a full implosion, I doubt they would be picking super high with Wentz at QB. 

So it's not like that is going to get you closer to a franchise QB.  

However, if you draft one now...you might have a possible solution by the end of next season. And if not, then go draft one. It's bad organizations that hang onto QBs, because that is the path of least resistance. 

Imagine if KC had kept Alex Smith or BUF had stuck with Tyrod Taylor. Or the LAR with Goff. Or TB with Winston. Or NE with Cam. 

It seems like good organizations are honest with themselves.

Because at some point we are going to have to get the long term solution. The bills made the playoffs in 2018. Then a couple months later in the draft they drafted Allen. They traded a couple players and picks to draft him. They knew it would take a year or two to develop so in that time they replaced the players they lost. They took a short term setback to get a long term gain. Should they have just been satisfied with Tyrod Taylor and the playoffs? They targeted a QB and making the playoffs didn’t stop them from doing that. Now in saying that there has to actually be a QB the Colts love that much to do this. I don’t know if there will be. Giving up more assets for a vet QB doesn’t get us to the long term solution.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Ok...but if you are going to really crash and burn...then  I guess I would do it with a cheap or rookie QB. 

Running it back with Wentz to crash and burn seems counter-intuitive. He's certainly not looking to do that, so he will be playing for his career. And if he does crash and burn, it just reflects even more poorly on the GM and HC. And if it's embarrassing enough to Irsay, it might cost someone their job.

Plus, he will be a constant topic of debate every week he is the starter. And that could easily become a distraction. And while the locker room is strong, I don't think any locker room is above potential division.

And if Wentz is just an average QB, you are still picking middle of the round at best. Or maybe they even sneak into playoffs, then you suddenly have a QB controversy.

I know I am being repetitive, but I just see so much downside with very little upside.

I don't know...even though it's cliche...ripping the band-aid off seems like the best path.

I fully understand your point. But I also have to be fair. Trading Winston for Brady is kinda a no brainer. Moving off Tyrod or Cam is a bit different than moving off Wentz before year 2. Swapping Goff for Stafford was a bold move, but we need to see how that story ends. 

And for every draft success story, there are ripped off band aids that equate to Tua's or other mediocre QBs. 

Personally, the context of the situation is 1) it's a very bad year to go QB shopping, and 2) Indy had a lot of broken things this year that didn't help Wentz's situation in year one.

So given those 2 things, doubt we remove the band aid.

5 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Really?  Hard to find an owner more forgiving and patient.  At least it seems so.

Archived