Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sirianni in the Playoffs we are staying home.

ojsglove

Haven't seen much mention of Nick making it to the playoffs in his first season as a head coach??  Our offense has regressed, Frank brought in  his hand picked QB with not so good results, even with Frank calling the plays.  We are going nowhere with Frank, and Wentz.  Lets be honest, how many losses, Wentz's performance, and Franks play calling, cost us?? 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Eagles beat 1 team all year with a winning record, and it was vs a QB-less Saints team. 

Happy for Nick and all, but don't have to go too far out on a limb to think we'd have a better record vs their schedule. 

Pretty much the same team as last year except the QB swap and OC, we regressed.

4 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Nope, not at all.

Last year they had the 14th hardest schedule.

this year, the 28th hardest schedule. 

That's a big deal, no?

Also a big factor.... Philly's OL was ranked 4th this year... as opposed to the cluster it was all year in 2020. Both Ts and C graded 80+... We had one guy graded in the 80s, and it was only an 81 lol. 

And the Colts..... well they were 30th this year in pass blocking... 

to repeat

Colts were 30th in pass blocking this year.... 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nope, not at all.

That's a big deal, no?

Also a big factor.... Philly's OL was ranked 4th this year... as opposed to the cluster it was all year in 2020. Both Ts and C graded 80+... We had one guy graded in the 80s, and it was only an 81 lol. 

to repeat

Something i remember from one of the colts media guys when Smith got his extension. He said he felt Smith got extra help on that right side because AC was so good Reich could help other areas out on the oline. Never had to worry about AC needing help. Just a thought with how bad Fisher was. Maybe it left other areas of Oline exposed this year.

They had a cake schedule but he has done good with a pretty depleted roster. The salt in the wound is that at this point it looks like the Eagles not only got our offensive coordinator from a year ago, but absolutely fleeced our lunch money being the draft picks for Wentz. One season later we likely couldn't flip the same player for more than a 6th.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nope, not at all.

That's a big deal, no?

to repeat

This^^^^^ and no one is really taking that to task. One thing I will defend Wentz on is that he was under HEAVY duress all season long.

29 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Something i remember from one of the colts media guys when Smith got his extension. He said he felt Smith got extra help on that right side because AC was so good Reich could help other areas out on the oline. Never had to worry about AC needing help. Just a thought with how bad Fisher was. Maybe it left other areas of Oline exposed this year.

Huh?

Smith has never got much help except in year one a little. He's had Glow on his hip, who isn't capable of the level of help Q is. I wouldn't say he got a ton of chip help either, at least no more than average. 

And AC got plenty of help his last year. His grades really fell off. He wasn't Fisher bad in pass pro, but he was significantly less than 2019 and prior. 

36 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

This^^^^^ and no one is really taking that to task. One thing I will defend Wentz on is that he was under HEAVY duress all season long.

I won't pretend Wentz is elite. But it's lazy to overlook the fact he had bottom 3 pass protection, and one of the least dynamic WR groups in the league. He's had poor pass pro the last two years, but at least his mistakes were very limited this year as opposed to 2020. There are positives, but folks want to point the finger, and I get that. Folks need to really look at scheme and play calling, but some are just too blind in their love for Reich. All folks can say is "2017" in which he didn't even call plays. Or "4 QBs in 4 years" which just isn't saying much when you look at our OL and running games over those 4 years. At least now hopefully the QB whisperer nonsense will never be heard again lol.. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

to repeat

By what metrics? 

It's true the OL struggled in pass pro, which is not what we expected (well, at least aside from LT). Wentz had his worst game of the year last week, and he missed plenty of reads and made several stupid decisions, but the OL was getting worked most of the game also. Yet everyone has indicted Wentz only, which is interesting.

Still, the OL issues matched with Wentz's propensity to hold the ball too long, and miss the check downs, is a recipe for disaster. You take an OL that has some struggles in pass pro -- mostly due to injuries, IMO -- and combine it with a QB who doesn't appear to be on point with his progressions, and you get what we saw against the Jaguars.

Some of this is play calling also. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

By what metrics? 

It's true the OL struggled in pass pro, which is not what we expected (well, at least aside from LT). Wentz had his worst game of the year last week, and he missed plenty of reads and made several stupid decisions, but the OL was getting worked most of the game also. Yet everyone has indicted Wentz only, which is interesting.

Still, the OL issues matched with Wentz's propensity to hold the ball too long, and miss the check downs, is a recipe for disaster. You take an OL that has some struggles in pass pro -- mostly due to injuries, IMO -- and combine it with a QB who doesn't appear to be on point with his progressions, and you get what we saw against the Jaguars.

Some of this is play calling also. 

To your question (metrics), it was PFF's final rankings. I posted the link in the other thread. 

No doubt Wentz needs to improve in areas. But hard for me to be adamant about him when our OL was so bad, our pass catchers were limited, etc... And I also agree big time with your play calling comment. I'd say scheme was as big a factor as anything, and goes along with play calling. I don't think I've ever seen Ds cheat up so much on us. Was worse this year than the JB days. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To your question (metrics), it was PFF's final rankings. I posted the link in the other thread. 

No doubt Wentz needs to improve in areas. But hard for me to be adamant about him when our OL was so bad, our pass catchers were limited, etc... And I also agree big time with your play calling comment. I'd say scheme was as big a factor as anything, and goes along with play calling. I don't think I've ever seen Ds cheat up so much on us. Was worse this year than the JB days. 

Do you have any stats on % of Wentz throws that were to the first level?  With JB and Rivers everyone whined bc they were checkdown kings.  Now with Wentz everyone is complaining he won’t hit his check downs. 

Im starting to dig a little into film and I keep seeing poor route designs when we ran 3-4 wide. By the time a back would leak out of the backfield and the first of the receivers start their break the protection had broke down.  Also see a lot of WRs not altering their route to the coverage.  Not sure how much this scheme allows this tho

13 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I don't believe Balard addressed that in the press conference. If he did that would b on him. It was all  out the qb

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It can be hard to determine where scheme/play calling ends, and QBing begins. But as I've rewatched some of Wentz's play, he turned down a lot of opportunities for easy completions throughout the year. 

So we don't have a dynamic receiving corps, but options were open early in plays, more often than the results might indicate. Nothing super explosive or dynamic, but just options to keep the ball moving. Yet, Wentz was at 2.78 seconds per drop back. You're asking for trouble.

And that's the problem I have with Wentz. He's talented, he's tough, he has a good level of athleticism especially when he's healthy (and he might not have been healthy all year). But his decision making is terrible, especially under pressure. One way for the team to handle that is to do better in pass pro. But it still falls on the QB to make good decisions. And being better at getting rid of the ball before pressure reaches you will reduce some of those issues he has when under pressure. 

So what was be being coached to do? It's hard to imagine that the staff wasn't showing him his missed opportunities for early completions. I think he's a bad decision maker. I think the scheme will have to force him to make better decisions, maybe by simplifying his pre and post snap looks, maybe in other ways as well.

Back to the point, he has to take some of the blame for the amount of pressure he faced this season. Not all of it, but it doesn't work for me to use poor pass pro as an excuse for his play, in general. At times, sure. But even Sunday when the OL was getting whipped, he missed open receivers. It's a compound issue. 

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Do you have any stats on % of Wentz throws that were to the first level?  With JB and Rivers everyone whined bc they were checkdown kings.  Now with Wentz everyone is complaining he won’t hit his check downs. 

Im starting to dig a little into film and I keep seeing poor route designs when we ran 3-4 wide. By the time a back would leak out of the backfield and the first of the receivers start their break the protection had broke down.  Also see a lot of WRs not altering their route to the coverage.  Not sure how much this scheme allows this tho

Nope, not stats on first level tosses. I wish. 

I'll say this. 

Rivers is one of the best at short throws. He's on Brady's level in that area. Not really fair to compare him to Wentz IMO. Rivers also had a top 5 pass pro, while Wentz had a bottom 5...

And for JB... JB also had a top pass pro, and still had a worse completion % than Wentz lol....

On check downs in general. Check downs were often JBs (and Rivers at times) early read. They weren't just the hot route pressure valve. They were a frequent primary call. And that was with great pass pro. And I'd also add that Hines snaps and targets were both down this year compared to last year, so the check downs were a bit different this year..... 

Last year I defended Rivers, and was one of the few that wanted him back. Folks beached about him, and now they're beaching about Wentz lol... Unless Brady or Rodgers shows up, folks will beach about next year. 

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Short passes and checkdowns get talked about as if they're all the same thing, always equal. It's important to understand there are distinctions within this category.

JB would go through his progressions (sort of), refuse to pull the trigger on anything that wasn't a wide open receiver, and then use his slow passing motion to throw to a check down receiver for a short gain. And because of his deliberate process through his progressions, and his not-so-quick reset to throw the check down, the defense would be keyed in on the pass, and drop the receiver as soon as the ball arrived. 

Rivers would read his progressions, and very quickly decide to hit a short receiver. Some of that is the scheme, and it's a valuable trait to exploit certain coverages and keep the chains moving. This is something Rivers excelled at, not just because he was quick to diagnose, but also because he had a quick release, and was accurate, giving receivers a good opportunity to pick up yards after catch. My personal gripes with Rivers were a) he would turn down potential opportunities for plays down field very quickly, and b) if he was pressured, the play would shut down. His ability to still deliver down field with pressure coming was effectively zero, his ability to throw on the run was zero, etc. So those second reaction plays that are often able to take advantage of stressed coverage -- think Wentz's TD to Patmon vs the Cardinals -- are basically non existent. Rivers could still hit longer passes within the tightly defined structure of the offense.

Now Wentz. The way to get him to throw a check down is to try to tackle him, and if one of his arms are still free, he'll try to flip the ball to someone wearing blue. (I'm exaggerating.) I reluctantly watched Kurt Warner's video. There's a slant there, because it's Wentz's worst game, and the OL's worst game. But there were plays where pressure was coming and a check down was open, and Wentz turned it down. There were plays where he appeared to not understand his progressions, where it looked like he misread the defense, threw it into double coverage while an underneath receiver was open, took too long to come off his first read, threw the check down, but didn't get as much yardage because the defense had adjusted, etc. His mechanical issues were on full display, especially under pressure. But there were plays where he put himself in trouble because he wasn't on point with the apparent scheme of the play.

These are very different issues. And the problem with Wentz is not just that he won't throw check downs. It's that he won't settle for the easy throw when the other receivers are open. This requires decisiveness and good decision making, and Wentz often lacked decisiveness (exemplified by his above average time to attempt), and his decision making when under pressure was dreadful. And if your OL is getting whipped, what choice do you have but to quickly get rid of the ball? Those throws were there on Sunday, and he couldn't complete them.

I don't want him to be a Checkdown Charlie. I want him to display a mastery of the offense, be fundamentally sound from the ground up, and take what's available within the flow of the offense. Sometimes that's schemed short throws, sometimes it's checkdowns, sometimes it's waiting for a play to develop downfield. And sometimes he'll have to improvise when under pressure, but even then, don't do stupid stuff.

14 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Our OL played together without being injured all season in 2020-21.  Aside from stepping back at LT, we missed Q a few games and he was playing injured from the start of the season. Kelly had a bad elbow injury in preseason and definitely wasn't fully healthy most of the season, and missed a few games.  The lack of continuity on the oline alone was a big change for us from last year.. then take into account Wentz was playing injured from day 1 and our D dealt with a lot more injuries than last year and I think the DL took a step back with the loss of Autry and Houston while the secondary played a good chunk of the season with backups at both safety spots. 

Overall, I think this year's team, mainly due to injuries, took a step back from last year. There was a lot more going on than just a qb and oc change. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

It can be hard to determine where scheme/play calling ends, and QBing begins. But as I've rewatched some of Wentz's play, he turned down a lot of opportunities for easy completions throughout the year. 

So we don't have a dynamic receiving corps, but options were open early in plays, more often than the results might indicate. Nothing super explosive or dynamic, but just options to keep the ball moving. Yet, Wentz was at 2.78 seconds per drop back. You're asking for trouble.

And that's the problem I have with Wentz. He's talented, he's tough, he has a good level of athleticism especially when he's healthy (and he might not have been healthy all year). But his decision making is terrible, especially under pressure. One way for the team to handle that is to do better in pass pro. But it still falls on the QB to make good decisions. And being better at getting rid of the ball before pressure reaches you will reduce some of those issues he has when under pressure. 

So what was be being coached to do? It's hard to imagine that the staff wasn't showing him his missed opportunities for early completions. I think he's a bad decision maker. I think the scheme will have to force him to make better decisions, maybe by simplifying his pre and post snap looks, maybe in other ways as well.

Back to the point, he has to take some of the blame for the amount of pressure he faced this season. Not all of it, but it doesn't work for me to use poor pass pro as an excuse for his play, in general. At times, sure. But even Sunday when the OL was getting whipped, he missed open receivers. It's a compound issue. 

I posted this in the other thread...

Wentz's time to throw last week was 2.88....

Cousins was 3.16..... 

Herbert 3.12

Tannehill 3.08

Mahomes 3.06

Wilson 3.05

Carr 3.03

Stafford 2.97

Prescott 2.93

So while I'd love to see Wentz get quicker, his TtT is only a problem because the OL sucks lol. 

Overall, I don't like Wentz's decision making at times, but when you're hearing footsteps all year on your blind side, and you don't have a #1 or #2 WR in the top 25 in separation (Pitt is 31st, Pascal is 80s), it's just hard for me to be overly critical. I just don't expect great play under those conditions. I don't expect left hand shovels either though lol...

But as much as the OL and WR hurt him, I think crap PCing/scheme hurt him as much or more. He was much better PA than RPO, yet we went into RPO auto pilot way too much (with teams biting up). He seemed pretty good throwing crossers, slants, and sails, but we hammered the sidelines constantly with 1st and 2nd reads. He was one of the higher rated QBs throwing level 3 seam and right, but we rarely dialed those up. Did we not know he had a 120 rating deep seam???? lol... I knew.... We just kept chopping wood with short/intermediate possession stuff. And on top of all that, I'd say Reich's schizoid play calling is pretty hard to find rhythm in. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I posted this in the other thread...

Wentz's time to throw last week was 2.88....

Cousins was 3.16..... 

Herbert 3.12

Tannehill 3.08

Mahomes 3.06

Wilson 3.05

Carr 3.03

Stafford 2.97

Prescott 2.93

So while I'd love to see Wentz get quicker, his TtT is only a problem because the OL sucks lol. 

He was sacked six times. Were any of those other QBs sacked six times last week? How long into the play did those sacks come? On how many of those plays did the QB miss an outlet before the pressure got home?

Pressure is one factor. Anticipating pressure is another factor. Decision making when under pressure is another factor. It's clear that Wentz can't control how the OL plays, but it's also clear that he struggled greatly when it comes to anticipation and responsive decision making. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He was sacked six times. Were any of those other QBs sacked six times last week? How long into the play did those sacks come? On how many of those plays did the QB miss an outlet before the pressure got home?

Pressure is one factor. Anticipating pressure is another factor. Decision making when under pressure is another factor. It's clear that Wentz can't control how the OL plays, but it's also clear that he struggled greatly when it comes to anticipation and responsive decision making. 

What's clear, is that last week, the entire team took a dump. 

99% of the board is nit picking Carson. Even hearing about ego lol....

And ... In just about every thread (done here in the NS thread lol)... 

He had his worst game of the year no doubt.

The OL had easily their worst game of the year. Season high sacks. 

Fisher was so bad he got yanked for Pryor.

Kelly, one of the top paid Cs, looked pretty bad too.

Our DL got manhandled, and by an OL that IIRC was missing their starting LT and C....

Defo, one of our biggest investments, and one of the highest paid 3Ts in the league, got a grand total of zero pressures.

Our D in general, was so bad, we let the worst passer rating QB in the league turn in a 112... Just like we did last year with Minshew..

Kenny Moore, our best DB, was burnt toast several times.

Our coach is now 0-4 in Jax, one of the worst teams in the league over that span.... 

I can go on.

Just funny how everyone seems to be getting a pass but Carson lol... 

Fire everyone!

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just funny how everyone seems to be getting a pass but Carson lol... 

I'm personally not giving anyone a pass. Kenny shouldn't be our best corner; the OL shouldn't have been so bad; the coaching/play calling needs to be better on both sides of the ball; STs had a bad week against the Raiders; the defense was awful both games, and at various times throughout the season. No passes being handed out from me (except maybe Defo; don't know why he'd be singled out when he was clearly hurt). So I don't see reason to extend one to Carson, either.

I acknowledge that the two ending losses weren't all on him, and I'm not completely writing him off, but he bears a significant amount of blame, no doubt.

And in a bigger picture sense, I don't know that his bad decision making is something that can be "solved," so I do question whether he should remain the QB. But that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge some of the circumstances, or even that I think he's a terrible player/person who should be drawn and quartered. 

Not that it matters, but I think your approach is a bit of an over correction to the general tone of "Carson sucks!" that's dominated Colts fandom over the last week, which is itself nonsense. 

@EastStreet

Adding on, for the sake of clarity: It's true that you can only expect so much from a QB when the OL isn't protecting well. I'd argue that we are right to expect better performance under pressure than what Wentz showed most of the season. And a lot of his poor performance had to do with anticipation and decision making. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm personally not giving anyone a pass. Kenny shouldn't be our best corner; the OL shouldn't have been so bad; the coaching/play calling needs to be better on both sides of the ball; STs had a bad week against the Raiders; the defense was awful both games, and at various times throughout the season. No passes being handed out from me (except maybe Defo; don't know why he'd be singled out when he was clearly hurt). So I don't see reason to extend one to Carson, either.

I acknowledge that the two ending losses weren't all on him, and I'm not completely writing him off, but he bears a significant amount of blame, no doubt.

And in a bigger picture sense, I don't know that his bad decision making is something that can be "solved," so I do question whether he should remain the QB. But that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge some of the circumstances, or even that I think he's a terrible player/person who should be drawn and quartered. 

Not that it matters, but I think your approach is a bit of an over correction to the general tone of "Carson sucks!" that's dominated Colts fandom over the last week, which is itself nonsense. 

I wasn't directing the opening at you specifically (to be clear). Just venting to you lol...

IMO, RYS is our best CB right now. Kenny is limited to the box, and very good when there. But he was burnt all year when taken vertically. 

I personally give Defo a pass. I personally feel sorry for the guy. And I personally blame scheme for his mediocre season stats. He wasn't top 30 is sacks or pressures. And that's simply bad for the pay. I point it out because you either have to blame one of two things. Either the player, or the scheme. Very few are blaming scheme, yet complain incessantly about the lack of pressures and sacks. 

Back to Carson. Not sure the decision making can be fixed either. I do know that I can't be intellectually honest and grade him fairly though under these conditions. And while there was clearly some bad decisions this year, he still had one of the best (lowest) INT%s.... So given the OL woes, and lack of WR talent, we did see considerable improvement in that area over last year.

If you agree the "Carson sucks" has dominated Colts fandom, and you also agree it's nonsense, then is my short vent about the total team dump really that much of an over-correction ? lol

Overall, QBs get way too much credit, and way too much blame. I'm not one of those guys that go "way too much" either way. 

I don’t know why a handful of posters think ANYONE is getting a pass?

Irsay has given not one, not two, but three different interviews ir statements expressing his anger and outrage. 

Ballard just gave the longest end of season briefing he’s done since becoming the GM.  If we all had $1 for every time he took the blame fir the season, or for the obvious problems of the season we’d all be rich. 

And Reich took his share of the blame in his end of the season presser.  

No one has been fired — yet.  Doesn’t mean someone won’t be.   But this certainly feels like a segment of the fan base is demanding that heads should roll.  Someone must be fired.   Someone’s head should be on a plate.
This is the ugly and unhelpful side of a fan base.  

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

@EastStreet

Adding on, for the sake of clarity: It's true that you can only expect so much from a QB when the OL isn't protecting well. I'd argue that we are right to expect better performance under pressure than what Wentz showed most of the season. And a lot of his poor performance had to do with anticipation and decision making. 

I think you and I are in synch on 98% of things. The 2% disconnect is really on how accurate you can grade under the conditions. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why a handful of posters think ANYONE is getting a pass?

Irsay has given not one, not two, but three different interviews ir statements expressing his anger and outrage. 

Ballard just gave the longest end of season briefing he’s done since becoming the GM.  If we all had $1 for every time he took the blame fir the season, or for the obvious problems of the season we’d all be rich. 

And Reich took his share of the blame in his end of the season presser.  

No one has been fired — yet.  Doesn’t mean someone won’t be.   But this certainly feels like a segment of the fan base is demanding that heads should roll.  Someone must be fired.   Someone’s head should be on a plate.
This is the ugly and unhelpful side of a fan base.  

Taking the blame is great and all.

It really doesn't solve anything though... 

Same song different year. Coach/GM speak 101.

Will 2022 be different? Hope so, but not holding my breath.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Back to Carson. Not sure the decision making can be fixed either. I do know that I can't be intellectually honest and grade him fairly though under these conditions. And while there was clearly some bad decisions this year, he still had one of the best (lowest) INT%s.... So given the OL woes, and lack of WR talent, we did see considerable improvement in that area over last year.

If you agree the "Carson sucks" has dominated Colts fandom, and you also agree it's nonsense, then is my short vent about the total team dump really that much of an over-correction ? lol

Overall, QBs get way too much credit, and way too much blame. I'm not one of those guys that go "way too much" either way. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you and I are in synch on 98% of things. The 2% disconnect is really on how accurate you can grade under the conditions. 

I get what you're saying. I don't think it's particularly hard to grade a QB when under pressure. I've spent some time watching Wentz under pressure, he missed a lot of opportunities, in a lot of different ways (quick easy throws; check downs; scrambles; even take a sack). We can dig into the reasons for those misses, but the point is that even under pressure, the QB still has to be able to function. Wentz malfunctioned quite often.

Again, yeah, let's acknowledge the circumstances: poor pass pro, not great receiving options, lack of rhythm in play calling, even injury. Still plenty of room to evaluate the QB.

As for the over correction, in this instance, yeah, I think it's an obvious over correction. But that's JMO. And I get it, because fans (and this community in particular) overreact to negative outcomes, oversimplify causes/outcomes, and crucify individuals whether they deserve it or not. And your point is well taken -- the pass protection was bad, and that needs to be accounted for when Wentz's play is discussed. But it's not reason to give him a pass.

2 minutes ago, legend300 said:

Hey @Superman who would like to be the next quarterback to be for the colts?

Patrick Mahomes.

Out of all reasonable options? Not sure. I don't think there's a lot of opportunity to upgrade the position in 2022. I think there's something to be said for having the same QB two years in a row. But Wentz now strikes me as a liability because of his decision making. So I think, if we keep him, we have to tailor the passing game to make things easier for him, pre and post snap. 

Thanks. I really enjoy reading your post on the forum.  Just thinking the other day I hadn’t t seen you post much.  I have been a forum member for years and your one of the few I look forward to see what you think.  I don’t post much because people can be over the top when people post and don’t meet their narrative.  Agree what you said about Wentz.  I just don’t think he has the decision make skills to lead the team.  

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get what you're saying. I don't think it's particularly hard to grade a QB when under pressure. I've spent some time watching Wentz under pressure, he missed a lot of opportunities, in a lot of different ways (quick easy throws; check downs; scrambles; even take a sack). We can dig into the reasons for those misses, but the point is that even under pressure, the QB still has to be able to function. Wentz malfunctioned quite often.

Again, yeah, let's acknowledge the circumstances: poor pass pro, not great receiving options, lack of rhythm in play calling, even injury. Still plenty of room to evaluate the QB.

As for the over correction, in this instance, yeah, I think it's an obvious over correction. But that's JMO. And I get it, because fans (and this community in particular) overreact to negative outcomes, oversimplify causes/outcomes, and crucify individuals whether they deserve it or not. And your point is well taken -- the pass protection was bad, and that needs to be accounted for when Wentz's play is discussed. But it's not reason to give him a pass.

Some QBs simply require different things to be successful. Rivers for instance had some very bad to mediocre years with bad OLs, despite having good WR options. People also questioned his decision making. He turned in a very improved performance behind our top 5 pass pro last year. That said, Wentz's 2021 improvement in TD% and INT% was better than River's 2020 improvement. Rivers is obviously heads and tails better in the short game and TtT (he's been elite in those areas), which helps him.

That said, Rivers behind a bad OL in 2019, threw 23 TDs and 20 INTs. That's similar to Carson's 2020 16/15... Rivers improved his 23/20 to 24/11 with a top 5 pass pro. Wentz had a bottom 5 pass pro, and improved his 16/15 to 27/7...... It takes some mental gymnastics to ignore that improvement. Again, not giving Wentz a pass, but it's pretty clear that some basics things aren't even considered. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Taking the blame is great and all.

It really doesn't solve anything though... 

Same song different year. Coach/GM speak 101.

Will 2022 be different? Hope so, but not holding my breath.

It’s been a week.   One week. 

What?   Were?   You?    Expecting?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s been a week.   One week. 

What?   Were?   You?    Expecting?

Frankly, I, like many, expected the exact same coach/GM speak that we heard.

No surprise... It was not hard to predict. 

Sorry, I just don't get butterflies every time Ballard or Reich mutters a few words like some.

There was no brilliance in the message. It was nothing unique. Zero to ooze over lol... 

If you want, ask me to predict what's said next year at the presser. I'm good at copy/paste lol... 

It’s been my experience that when a typical very good offensive line suddenly goes bad, there’s good reason.  

So again… 

Fisher coming off major surgery. 
Nelson hurt in camp and in season.

Kelly hurt in camp.

Smith hurt when season started and later. 

This reminds me of the situation in Philly. 
Had a very good OL in ‘19.

Terrible OL in ‘20 due to injuries.

But back to being a very good OL in ‘21.

Colts have had a very good OL in 18, 19, 20.    
Had a very poor line this year due to injuries.

No reason to think the line shouldn’t be back to its old standard next year.   No reason to expect 4 of the OL to be injured to the extent they were this year. 

The position coaches didn’t get worse.  It was the injuries. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Frankly, I, like many, expected the exact same coach/GM speak that we heard.

No surprise... It was not hard to predict. 

Sorry, I just don't get butterflies every time Ballard or Reich mutters a few words like some.

There was no brilliance in the message. It was nothing unique. Zero to ooze over lol... 

If you want, ask me to predict what's said next year at the presser. I'm good at copy/paste lol... 

You don’t know what you wanted, but you got what you expected. 

Nice non-answer answer.   Par for the course. 

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nope, not at all.

That's a big deal, no?

to repeat

the common denominator... Wentz

Archived