Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is in Indy today

Ohio Colt

System doesn't matter when he's a rookie. There's still gonna be an adjustment period like for all rookie QB's.

Yes there will be an adjustment period and Andrew Luck would have a much easier transition if the Colts were running a west coast offense, but that isn't the case. That is hard to deny. Systems still matter.

Irsay didn't confirm anything but as this point if he didn't pick Luck, he would look like a *

I know he didn't confirm anything, but saying he's deserving of the hype of being the number one pick two years in a row and since they have the number one pick seems pretty open and shut to me. I do agree if he didn't pick Luck he would for sure look that way though.

That might be the case, but if he ends up in Miami, I stand by my comment that he will have a smoother transition than the other 2. His former coach will be his OC, and running the same system.

A much bigger factor is the defenses he will face are much different than anything he faced in college. Luck and RG3 have a lot more talent to be able to make the transition.

A much bigger factor is the defenses he will face are much different than anything he faced in college. Luck and RG3 have a lot more talent to be able to make the transition.

From that perspective they are basically on equal ground.

A&M & Baylor are in the same conference, and none of the three faced elite talent week in and week out.

From that perspective they are basically on equal ground.

A&M & Baylor are in the same conference, and none of the three faced elite talent week in and week out.

Yes, but Luck and RG3 dominated the defenses they played against.

Tannehill pretty much put a hurting on the defenses he played against too.

They all 3 lost to OK state, but Tannehill came the closest to beating them.

OK ST 30 A&M 29

OK ST 41 Stanford 38

OK ST 59 Baylor 24

FJC,

Did you see the statistics posted regarding pocket passing attempts (comparing RG3 & Luck)?

Pretty interesting. One was very good. The other was great.

Pretty telling. Thanks. RG3 could very well end up better. I know that is taboo to say around here but it is not as unlikely as some make it out to be. They both will be great.

Unfortunately College football, the schools and the media outlets that cover it do not expand on situational stats like they do in the pros. I've seen some splits on one site but they aren't very telling...

Pretty telling. Thanks. RG3 could very well end up better. I know that is taboo to say around here but it is not as unlikely as some make it out to be. They both will be great.

It is taboo but I agree with you. I think RG3 has a very good shot at being a better pro than Luck. He throws the purest most beautiful deep ball I have seen and his arm is very very good. The guy is crazy athletic and very very intelligent. Many people including Greg Cossell said when evaluating that Luck actually was the one to rush out of the pocket more (griffen would stay in a muddied pocket) and that Griffen's passes had more zip and were more accurate (especially his deep throws) He noted Luck had the tendancy to lift his back foot off the ground at times limiting his velocity and accuracy.

It was clear to see that Luck ran a much more pro style offense but also was asked to make a lot shorter safer throws. Luck gets the kudos because he is intelligent and pro ready with his reading defenses and play calling but if you just go by raw ability...I think it is Griffen and not even close. I would be perfectly fine if we took RG3 or Luck. I think Luck is more pro ready but Griffen has more talent as a passer. Will that translate to the field..IDK and that is why we are likely to see Luck picked because he is a sure fire player...but I think Griffen has the ability to be even more special if he reaches his potential.

I think it is silly to compare those statistics because:

1) They run different offenses

2) Baylor has better talent at WR

I have watched many, many Baylor games. RGIII gets alot of yards and hype off his long passes. But he is throwing to a certain #1 pick in Kendell and two other pretty good guys. He is not having to check down to the 2nd or 3rd read. Most college QBs will do well when their receivers are just flat out beating the defensive backs like Baylor would do a lot.

I will go as far as to say, I think RGIII will be a flat out bust. I don't think he will be able to run a pro offense with 2-3 reads on every play. I don't care how athletic he is. Bernie Kosar shows, you can basically be a wooden Indian and if you are accurate, you will be successful.

Luck, I believe, will be a great NFL QB. His anticipation, footwork, and what he did with mediocre talent was very good.

All I know is if Bill was still running this team these shenanigans wouldn't be happening. Well maybe all the fans would still cry to sign Luck. Even though it holds no benefit of signing anyone now. The media circus wouldn't be happening with Bill though.

I have watched many, many Baylor games. RGIII gets alot of yards and hype off his long passes. But he is throwing to a certain #1 pick in Kendell and two other pretty good guys. He is not having to check down to the 2nd or 3rd read. Most college QBs will do well when their receivers are just flat out beating the defensive backs like Baylor would do a lot.

I will go as far as to say, I think RGIII will be a flat out bust. I don't think he will be able to run a pro offense with 2-3 reads on every play. I don't care how athletic he is. Bernie Kosar shows, you can basically be a wooden Indian and if you are accurate, you will be successful.

Luck, I believe, will be a great NFL QB. His anticipation, footwork, and what he did with mediocre talent was very good.

I agree with this except maybe the "flat out bust" comment. I think Griffin could be successful or he could fall flat on his face. I am not sold at all that he will be able to pick up the pro style offense and think he may struggle with reading defenses. Maybe he will pick it up and maybe he won't. Suffice it to say, that I think Luck will have no problems with doing either of those things even though, like every rookie QB, he will have his bad times. Luck is the safer bet and I hate the talk of Griffin having a "higher ceiling" or "more potential". Those kind of comments are flat out stupid IMO. Luck has proven he has all the potential in the world, where as, Griffin has proven that he's athletic and has a strong arm. Who cares about either of those? There have been plenty of athletic strong armed QB's that have been total flops.

Hmmm athletic and a strong arm.... reminds me of a former raiders number 1 pick. :lol:

Really?! I don't think anyone in the NFL thinks the two are similar at all. Funny I think if our player was being evaluated by that criteria we would praise him.

All I know is if Bill was still running this team these shenanigans wouldn't be happening. Well maybe all the fans would still cry to sign Luck. Even though it holds no benefit of signing anyone now. The media circus wouldn't be happening with Bill though.

If Bill was here we would be taking Griffen. He has been on record several times saying he would select/prefer Griffen over Luck. (Could be a big reason he was let go...perhaps Irsay didn't want to hear it)

I think to say Griffen will be a bust while Luck will be a great qb is just plain biased. Both have very very similar abilities. Luck grades our a little higher in some areas and Griffen in others. Just looking at someone that everyone had being over-rated coming out last year was Cam Newton. All he did was obliterate rookie passing records...from a guy people were saying the same thing about. The thing is Griffen has way more evidence supporting him being a quality quarterback.

To say that Griffen had better players I think is laughable. Did he have 3 possible 1st round lineman? Did he have the best TE in college football. Luck also had a 2nd round draft pick in Chris Owasu before he got hurt. Stanford had one of the best ground games in the country. Griffen had a couple playmakers on the outside but to say they were comparable is funny to me. I think people are just making up stuff to fit their arguement. To say someone watched him and wasn't impressed means to me they didn't look very carefully or don't know what they are looking for "because EVERYONE was impressed by him last year".

You say he didn't go through progressions. People say he isn't as intelligent as Luck. Where is the proof. Fact is he was extremely successful and is very intelligent. They played different offenses but he succeeded based on his talent and skills not because of a system. It was the same offense Bradford played in and no one question his intelligence or being able to read the defense...they praised his accuracy. I think we have some extreme biased going on here. I love and fully support Luck..and will be happy he is our qb but I'm not going to put someone else down just because he isn't my guy. If we took Griffen I would be no less thrilled and I think Washington did the right thing trading up for him.

Here is a pretty objective analysis of Griffen. It has his pros and cons and grades him. It is very in depth and I feel fair in criticizing some of his flaws and talking about what he does really well. Will he be a great qb in the nfl? I think he has every chance and as likely as Luck. http://www.newerascouting.com/2011/12/12/robert-griffin-iii-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Note where it talks about his high football IQ and his ability to read the defense. Or that unlike most spread offenses he didn't rely on the sideline to make adjustments or call plays. He called his own audibles and plays at the line after reading the defense. Look I like taking Luck #1 but to praise him and act like the other guy doesn't have the same qualities or even more impressive ones I think is being short-sighted. Washington is getting themselves a very good qb. I just think he is no more likely to bust than Andrew and if he was to come to Indy we should be happy to have either of them. We are taking Luck and that is great but man this kid wouldn't have been much of a loss if we had him instead.

Here is a little clip of why people drop their jaw when he throws. Just incredible thrower..especially down field. *Watch at like 45 sec. just gives you a better idea of the window and his arm strength. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMm2qGMGV8Q&feature=player_embedded

Here is some highlights and its easy to see why pro scouts drool over him. All that raw ability and can just get better with coaching. His game is just as impressive as Lucks. I am glad we get either one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_q-tAkUEME&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF7863043666FA524

If Bill was here we would be taking Griffen. He has been on record several times saying he would select/prefer Griffen over Luck. (Could be a big reason he was let go...perhaps Irsay didn't want to hear it)

Well if that is who Bill finds better I tend to trust him. He has a good résumé on drafting QBs. Peyton isn't the only successful guy he has drafted.

Well if that is who Bill finds better I tend to trust him. He has a good résumé on drafting QBs. Peyton isn't the only successful guy he has drafted.

Well what I am saying is I don't think you lose either way. I am happy with Luck but those that are saying Griffen will be a bust I think is crazy. He has just as many positives about his game as Luck. I just think we are being blindly supportive/critical. That is fine to be supportive of Luck...but to be so critical of Griffen...just seemed unwarranted.

Well what I am saying is I don't think you lose either way. I am happy with Luck but those that are saying Griffen will be a bust I think is crazy. He has just as many positives about his game as Luck. I just think we are being blindly supportive/critical. That is fine to be supportive of Luck...but to be so critical of Griffen...just seemed unwarranted.

Yea, I don't think you can go wrong with either Luck or Griffin. Although there has to be something that Bill sees in Griffin for him to prefer him to Luck.

Can you provide proof that he has said this numerous times? Not saying he didn't but I have seen him several times on ESPN and he danced around the question each time saying something like "you can't go wrong with either". Polian has been known to do or say things that just goes against the popular consensus because IMO he just wants to prove his genius(in his own mind). Bill had his time but I don't trust his decision making anymore.

Can you provide proof that he has said this numerous times? Not saying he didn't but I have seen him several times on ESPN and he danced around the question each time saying something like "you can't go wrong with either". Polian has been known to do or say things that just goes against the popular consensus because IMO he just wants to prove his genius(in his own mind). Bill had his time but I don't trust his decision making anymore.

Sorry..I will try to look. I've heard him refer to taking Griffen several times but always stopped short on ESPN/NFL network because he said it isn't his decision now and it he said it doesn't matter because if the owner wants him than you have to do it. This was back during the Peyton Manning saga and it was a couple times I heard it watching all that. You are correct that he never actually said "I would take him over Luck #1 if I was with the Colts still". He danced around it as you say but he kept alluding to the fact that he would take Griffen. I don't think he would go on record to just outright say it because people would then speculate that Irsay didn't like that and let him go. I will look to see if its on the internet..but this was just when he was standing out doing his interview/analysis.

Sorry..I will try to look. I've heard him refer to taking Griffen several times but always stopped short on ESPN/NFL network because he said it isn't his decision now and it he said it doesn't matter because if the owner wants him than you have to do it. This was back during the Peyton Manning saga and it was a couple times I heard it watching all that. You are correct that he never actually said "I would take him over Luck #1 if I was with the Colts still". He danced around it as you say but he kept alluding to the fact that he would take Griffen. I don't think he would go on record to just outright say it because people would then speculate that Irsay didn't like that and let him go. I will look to see if its on the internet..but this was just when he was standing out doing his interview/analysis.

I see. Wasn't trying to call you out or anything, but honestly had just never heard those words come out of his mouth. Honestly, I would be shocked if he truely felt that way. Luck is everything that Polian would love in a QB because he draws so many comparisons to Manning/Elway. Griffin may turn out to be a great QB but it also would not surprise me at all if he just flat out flopped and was an after thought in 5 yrs..

Sorry. Just quickly here is him on PTI. Again he skirts the question but he would clearly take RG3 if the system was right. I couldn't find where he was standing outside talking on the issue but it was pretty similar and vaguely said if he would take either one. I don't think RG3 was ever and option here and that is fine. I just think there are plenty of people that rate him just as high or could see him successful even here if we had gone that route. I think about 2:30 he goes into Luck and Griffen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW_mQ3qWsl4

And I realize his opinion matters little to those around here.