Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Reuter goes 7 rounds on his last mock....

Thought I'd post his latest and last mock.    His mocks always seem to get a lot of reaction one way or the other.

For the record,  I'm not a big fan of this one for reasons that I think you'll see.    Reuter is the analyst who think we'll trade down with Green Bay and only get the Packers two LATE 4th round picks.    I don't see Ballard doing that deal...    it's roughly 65 cents on the dollar.    Way too big a gap.

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-broncos-bears-trade-up-for-qbs

Here are the Colts picks:

1/29    Eichenberg       LT    Notre Dame

2/54    Bolton              LB    Missouri

4/127  Rochelle           CB   Central Ark

4/135  Roche              DE    Miami

4/142  Harris               TE    UCF     (Note:  some teams have him at WR, but at 6'5" and 220, other teams see a move-TE)

5/165  Darby               WR   ASU

6/206  Tonga               DT    BYU

7/248  Phillips             CB   Ball St.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

LB second round? Yeah I can’t see it.

Me neither....

And, I confess,  there are a number of 2nd round LBers that I like and think would be good players for the Colts,  except, I think we're looking to play less and less 3 linebacker sets...   more 4-2-5 or 4-1-6....    so, if there are going to be fewer snaps available,  do we really want to use a premium pick on that spot?     

Honestly, I hope EJ Speed gets the first look at the SAM.   And then maybe Adams.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Me neither....

And, I confess,  there are a number of 2nd round LBers that I like and think would be good players for the Colts,  except, I think we're looking to play less and less 3 linebacker sets...   more 4-2-5 or 4-1-6....    so, if there are going to be fewer snaps available,  do we really want to use a premium pick on that spot?     

Honestly, I hope EJ Speed gets the first look at the SAM.   And then maybe Adams.

How does a 4-1-6 truly work? Is that like a Dime package with 4 corners and 2 safeties or could it be 3 and 3? If it were 3 and 3, then my goodness we could get JOK and it be ridiculous

3 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

How does a 4-1-6 truly work? Is that like a Dime package with 4 corners and 2 safeties or could it be 3 and 3? If it were 3 and 3, then my goodness we could get JOK and it be ridiculous

I think it works either way, with 4 corners and 2 safeties, or 3 corners and 3 safeties.    I think more teams are doing 3 and 3.

And when we're in that scheme,  the one LB on the field is Leonard.   He's right in the middle.    

But yes,  if JOK fell to us,  I think Ballard might very well pluck him.    I think he might be too good,  too scheme versatile, that we'd take him despite our other pressing needs.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it works either way, with 4 corners and 2 safeties, or 3 corners and 3 safeties.    I think more teams are doing 3 and 3.

And when we're in that scheme,  the one LB on the field is Leonard.   He's right in the middle.    

But yes,  if JOK fell to us,  I think Ballard might very well pluck him.    I think he might be too good,  too scheme versatile, that we'd take him despite our other pressing needs.

I agree. I think you can line JOK at LB, S, pure rusher. I honestly think he's one of the 5-6 "difference makers" he mentioned today.

The more I sit here and think about it, the more and more I'm starting to talk myself into it. I personally would love someone like Darrisaw at 21 (I think he solves the biggest missing piece for a decade+). But if not there, then you can obviously take JOK who is a pure definition of a deference maker on defense to go along with Buckner and Leonard, and rising star Blackman.

And then at pick 54, maybe that's where you trade back and hope to get a very late 3rd or early 4th. And with trading back, maybe someone like Walker Little will be there to solve the OT problem. And then with the 3rd/4th picks get someone like Tremble and Shaka Toney

21 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

The more I sit here and think about it, the more and more I'm starting to talk myself into it. I personally would love someone like Darrisaw at 21 (I think he solves the biggest missing piece for a decade+). But if not there, then you can obviously take JOK who is a pure definition of a deference maker on defense to go along with Buckner and Leonard, and rising star Blackman.

And then at pick 54, maybe that's where you trade back and hope to get a very late 3rd or early 4th. And with trading back, maybe someone like Walker Little will be there to solve the OT problem. And then with the 3rd/4th picks get someone like Tremble and Shaka Toney

If Darrisaw makes it to 16 at the Cardinals pick, what would you think about offering pick 21 and Marvell Tell for pick 16 to grab him? I think that could benefit both teams, and I'd sacrifice Tell in that case to get Darrisaw.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Darrisaw makes it to 16 at the Cardinals pick, what would you think about offering pick 21 and Marvell Tell for pick 16 to grab him? I think that could benefit both teams, and I'd sacrifice Tell in that case to get Darrisaw.

I mean I think the Colts would do it in a heartbeat but I don't the Cardinals would. In this scenario we are basically saying Tell is worth a very early 3rd round pick. And most teams are looking for a little extra, so we would be looking at Tell as worth a very late 2nd which they surely aren't going to think that Tell is worth that much.

This draft, outside of round 2 is really not that bad, but that LB IS really good in round 2

Replace that pick with a Ronnie Perkins or Ossai, and I am very happy with this draft

Leatherwood is a stud run blocker with great run blocking skills, and is athletic 

He need some work, but he will be fine at LT IMHO

Doing a 7-round mock for one team is hard enough, but doing a 7-round mock for all 32 teams is quite a different thing

altogether.     Saying it's hard doesn't begin to cover it.    So, if I'm going to give praise to Reuter for doing this year after year,  which I am....   then, at least for the record,  I'd like to say that I saw more head scratching picks this year than I can remember in any other year.

By the way,  I think Reuter, while not a scout-level person like Lance Zierlein or Daniel Jeremiah or Bucky Brooks, I think Chad is a pretty dialed-in guy.   He's got sources and connections.    So, when I see something that raises my eyebrows in a bad way,  I wonder what he knows?   Does he have info on medicals that he's been fed by someone on the inside?

I have found more than a dozen players who I think are roughly at least two rounds off, maybe more.

So....    I'm just going to list them and we'll see how close to being right he is.

Starting in R4...

Kyle Trask,  QB      Florida

Jamar Johnson   Saf    Indiana

R5

Jay Tufele   DT     USC

Taj Gowan  CB     UCF

R6

Jamar Jefferson    RB   Ore St.

Jordan Smith       Edge    UAB

Cade Johnson      WR     S. Dakota St.

James Hudson     OT      Cincy

Payton Turner      Edge    Houston      (Does THIS get anyone's attention?!?)

R7

Rashad Weaver     DE     Pitts

Marlon Tuipulotu    DT    USC

Jaelon Darden       WR    N. Texas

Israel Mukuamu     CB    S. Carolina

Marquez Stevenson   WR    Hous

Do these names in these rounds look right to you?    It's one thing to be one round off,  but don't a number of these names feel more off than just one round?    They do to me.     So, perhaps after the draft,  we can take a look and see how close Reuter comes on these players.

Archived