Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Newest Mock (If Freeney Stays)

I still am hoping some team gets desperate come draft day and is willing to offer us a high 2nd or late 1st for Freeney. But if we cant get a high 3rd or better, here is my draft with keeping him...

1st- QB Andrew Luck (Done deal, can't wait for him to start taking snaps for us!)

2nd- WR Alshon Jeffery (I could see a talented WR like this fall to the Colts. But dont be too scared off by him. He did show up at his pro day at 213 pounds and with a great character coach in Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck throwing to him, he should be motivated and be a stud WR for us to learn from Reggie for a few years. I would much rather select the best player available at a position of need rather than reaching for a guy like TE Coby Fleener or Alameda Ta'amu. With this pick our WR is looking very good.)

3rd- CB/KR Jayron Hosley (I've been a fan of this guy for awhile. Lets just hope he lasts to our 3rd round pick because our 2nd is too high for him.)

4th- TE Ladarius Green (He is a raw Jimmy Graham type of TE.)

5th- NT Akiem Hicks (We need a young NT to develop and split time with McKinney.)

Coby Fleener isn't a reach and very easily turn out a better NFL Player than Jeffrey. A skilled TE is just as important need as WR. Fleener is a match up nightmare in the passing game and serviceable block. If him and Jeffrey are there I hope they take Fleener

Laradius Green is only 230 or so pounds and about 6'6''. He's built more like a receiver than a TE. I figure that if we want a tall developmental WR from a small school, I'd rather have Brian Quick.

He's bigger than 230. He's around 240 now, but with a frame like his he can ad some more. He's also somewhat underrated in blocking. He did a pretty good job in blocking against San Diego State University in the New Orleans Bowl.

I'd be very wary of guys with character or work ethic issues like Alshon Jeffery during a rebuild. I don't believe it's wise to take those kinds of chances until you've already got your system and overall way of life firmly established. That said, he is still an intriguing high-risk, high-reward candidate in the second round.

Vincent Jackson is 6'5 230lbs is he a fat wide receiver?

Weight means next to nothing on its own. Jackson is a lean 230, Jeffery has a history of weight issues and has been legitimately fat at times.

Alshon-Jeffrey-Is-Fat.jpg

I'd be very wary of guys with character or work ethic issues like Alshon Jeffery during a rebuild. I don't believe it's wise to take those kinds of chances until you've already got your system and overall way of life firmly established. That said, he is still an intriguing high-risk, high-reward candidate in the second round.

Weight means next to nothing on its own. Jackson is a lean 230, Jeffery has a history of weight issues and has been legitimately fat at times.

While true, he does seem to have taken this very seriously. He was 216 at the combine and 213 at his pro day. I believe he's going to have to work with whatever team he joins on becoming more educated on what he should eat and what he's got to do to become a lean 220-230lb receiver. I think he's showing everyone how committed he is to making sure he is in shape and that he's got it under control.

id rather have Hill than Jeffery myself. Granted Hill is a project but he has serious potential IMO. I also remember reading that Hill has impressed with route running in his workouts.

Jeffery has good hands and is strong but man is he slow and I just dont think he's going to be overpowering dbs like he did in college.

I dont know what it is about Gtech but they know how to find big and physically talented WRs in the rough.

of course weight means nothing on its own but being 6'5 and 230ish didnt seem to slow him down or hamper his ability in the past, sure question his effort recently but to say a guy is fat when its pretty obvious to the naked eye Vincent Jackson is cut is ridiculous, would I take the guy if he was a free agent and we had the money, I dont know but thats not because he is fat lol, he simply quits on plays at times (kinda like some of our guys did last season0

id rather have Hill than Jeffery myself. Granted Hill is a project but he has serious potential IMO. I also remember reading that Hill has impressed with route running in his workouts.

Jeffery has good hands and is strong but man is he slow and I just dont think he's going to be overpowering dbs like he did in college.

I dont know what it is about Gtech but they know how to find big and physically talented WRs in the rough.

Yes they do and they also know how to not utilize them much by running that horrific triple option offense....I would take Hill over Jeffery as well, but some seeing hill being taken in the last 6 picks of the 1st round.

of course weight means nothing on its own but being 6'5 and 230ish didnt seem to slow him down or hamper his ability in the past, sure question his effort recently but to say a guy is fat when its pretty obvious to the naked eye Vincent Jackson is cut is ridiculous, would I take the guy if he was a free agent and we had the money, I dont know but thats not because he is fat lol, he simply quits on plays at times (kinda like some of our guys did last season0

That's because he is a very lean 6'5 230. Jackson takes great care of his body and knows what it needs to stay at that range. Jeffery I believe just doesn't have the greatest knowledge on nutrition and while he might be 213lbs he can put more on and still be effective. He needs to work with the staff on whatever team he goes to figure out what he has to do to play at the most effective weight for him without slowing him down.

Everything seems pretty good, not great...I hate Jeffery (terrible work ethic, overweight, not physical/strong, overrated), so I would rather avoid him. Hosley dropping to the 3rd is a big of a stretch, but there's a chance it happens. Love Hicks and Green. Green's no Graham, but he could be like a very good tight end in this league. Egnew at 4 could be an option also.

... what? Let me reiterate and break up what I said:

Jackson is a lean 230

Jeffery has a history of weight issues and has been legitimately fat at times

That's quite the opposite of calling VJ fat. Just pointing out that AJ has tended to not to be anywhere near as lean when he gets up to around 230, let alone when he reportedly ballooned to ~250 territory.

... what? Let me reiterate and break up what I said:

Jackson is a lean 230

Jeffery has a history of weight issues and has been legitimately fat at times

That's quite the opposite of calling VJ fat. Just pointing out that AJ has tended to not to be anywhere near as lean when he gets up to around 230, let alone when he reportedly ballooned to ~250 territory.

I dont remember who I meant that to be posted to but it wasnt to you, someone called him fat, it wasnt you

I don't like Alshon Jeffery at all... WR isn't the way to go in the 2nd unless Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright is available. Go get Fleener or Janoris Jenkins and then draft Streeter and AJ Jenkins later on. Other than that, nice job.

1.Andrew Luck QB Stanford

2. Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina

3. Chase Minnifield CB Virginia

4. Orson Charles TE Georgia

5. Nicholas Jean-Baptiste NT Baylor

5. Brandon Taylor SS LSU

6. Keith Tandy CB West Virginia

7. Evan Rodriguez FB Temple

7. Ryan Miller OG Colorado

7. Chris Rainey RB Florida

I'd like to see the draft play out like this... no Fleener, and some picks might seem a bit unsafe, but hopefully these players will be around at these spots.