Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts mock draft with trades (post Wentz)

Bengals Round 1 Draft History:

2020 QB Joe Burrow – Torn ACL/MCL IR

2019 LT Jonah Williams – PUP Torn Labrum left shoulder

2018 C Billy Price – Foot injury missed 6 games – no longer starter

2017 WR John Ross – IR knee injury

2016 DB William Jackson – torn pectoral muscle IR

2015 OT Cedric Ogbuehi – entered camp with prior ACL injury – decline 5th year

Seems to me someone broke a mirror and the Bengals are having 7 years of bad luck drafting players in Round 1.  In 2014 DB Darqueze Dennard was healthy scratch most of the season.

Colts trade C Ryan Kelly to Bengals get R1P5 and Cincy gets Colts R5P148

Colts trade R1P21 to GB R1P29 (160) get GB R3P92 (132) and GB R5P156 (27.8)

Bengals                                Colts                                                      Packers

R1P5 (CIN-IND)                                     R1P21 (IND-GB)

R1P29 (GB- IND)                                              

R2P38 - RT                          R2P54                                                    R2P62

R3P70                                  R3P92 (GB-IND)                               

R4P101                                R4P117                                                 R4P125

R5P132                                R5P156 (GB-IND)                            

R5P148 (IND-CIN)

P6P165                                R6P180                                                 R6P188

R7P195                                R7P211                                                 R7P218

R7P197

Restructured Contracts

Grover Stewart, Jack Doyle, Kenny Moore II

FA Additions:

QB Carson Wentz

FS Marcus Williams 16m

MLB Jayon Brown 6m

TE Hunter Henry 11.5m

Draft

R1P5 (CIN-IND) - LT Charles Darrisaw (VT)

R1P29 (GB- IND) - C Landon Dickerson (Alabama)

R2P54 - WR Nico Collins (Michigan)

R3P92 (GB-IND) – DE Jordan Smith (UAB) played both edges

R4P117 RDE Wyatt Hubert (Kansas St)

R5P156 (GB-IND) – C Ryan McCollum (Texas AM)

R6P180 OT Grant Hermanns (Purdue)

R7P211 RB Gerrid Doaks (Cincy)

QB Carson Wentz, Jacob Eason

RB Jonathan Taylor, Gerrid Doaks, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins

WR T.Y. Hilton, Nico Collins, Zach Pascal, DeMichael Harris

WR Michael Pitman Jr., Ashton Dulin, J.J. Nelson, Quartney Davis

WR Parris Campbell, Dezmon Patmon, Gary Jennings

TE Hunter Henry, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox, Noah Togiai

LT Charles Darrisaw, Grant Hermanns

LG Quenton Nelson, Joey Hunt

C Landon Dickerson, Ryan McCollum

RG Mark Glowinski, Jake Eldrenkamp

RT Branden Smith, Danny Pinter, Will Holden

LDE Ben Banogu, Jordan Smith, Kemoko Turay

LDT DeForest Buckner, Tyquan Lewis

RDT Grover Stewart, Taylor Stallworth

RDE Al-Quadin Muhammad, Wyatt Hubert

WLB Darius Leonard, Matthew Adams

MLB Jayon Brown, Zaire Franklin, Jordan Glasgow

SLB Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed

LCB Rock Ya-Sin, Kenny Moore II, Isaiah Rogers

SS Khari Willis, Tavon Wilson, Rolan Miligan

FS Marcus Williams, Julian Blackmon, George Odum, Ibraheim Campbell

RCB Xavier Rhodes, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell III, Tremon Smith

48 minutes ago, tvturner said:

First it was trading Kenny Moore, then signing 20 players in FA, then paying half of the cap to the OL, and now sending Kelly for #5 AND drafting "Charles Darrisaw"......

You're out of your mind at this point

Insane out the membrane

50 minutes ago, tvturner said:

First it was trading Kenny Moore, then signing 20 players in FA, then paying half of the cap to the OL, and now sending Kelly for #5 AND drafting "Charles Darrisaw"......

You're out of your mind at this point

In all seriousness I kind of like this idea.  Colts trade away one of the NFL's current top centers with Kelly and replace him with another stud coming out of Alabama, a much younger version.  Obviously a risk here with Dickerson and his late season injury so why am doubling down on drafting another center for a short-term stop gap but also feel Pinter can step in right away as needed.  Other key factor is as others have pointed out going low cost draftee to fill our void at LT.  Now the Colts if they could pull this trade off might even be able to consider trading up again with say the Jets and take a QB.  Honestly still have reservations about Wentz and if he is the true long-term answer the Colts are searching for.  If not groom the young QB under Wentz for a year and cut Wentz free.

The Colts do have a lot of pending FAs to make decisions about.  With the trade scenario the Colts still have ~$9-10 million in cap space left over.  The only thing with that in mind is changing being honest and losing our 2nd draft pick and having an additional 5th round back and select a depth WR since wouldn't be getting a good WR early in Round 2.  Round 6 much rather with the extra projected cap savings on hand sign Texans LT Roderick Johnson.  At least he has experience in this Division then target LCB Tay Gowan (UCF) whom opted out this past season but is considered a sleeper this draft.

When your done being narrow-minded look the rest over and be honest see if this is doable and fills our major voids.  

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

In all seriousness I kind of like this idea.  Colts trade away one of the NFL's current top centers with Kelly and replace him with another stud coming out of Alabama, a much younger version.  Obviously a risk here with Dickerson and his late season injury so why am doubling down on drafting another center for a short-term stop gap but also feel Pinter can step in right away as needed.  Other key factor is as others have pointed out going low cost draftee to fill our void at LT.  Now the Colts if they could pull this trade off might even be able to consider trading up again with say the Jets and take a QB.  Honestly still have reservations about Wentz and if he is the true long-term answer the Colts are searching for.  If not groom the young QB under Wentz for a year and cut Wentz free.

The Colts do have a lot of pending FAs to make decisions about.  With the trade scenario the Colts still have ~$9-10 million in cap space left over.  The only thing with that in mind is changing being honest and losing our 2nd draft pick and having an additional 5th round back and select a depth WR since wouldn't be getting a good WR early in Round 2.  Round 6 much rather with the extra projected cap savings on hand sign Texans LT Roderick Johnson.  At least he has experience in this Division then target LCB Tay Gowan (UCF) whom opted out this past season but is considered a sleeper this draft.

When your done being narrow-minded look the rest over and be honest see if this is doable and fills our major voids.  

You're not getting #5 with Ryan Kelly and a 5th, this isn't Madden, you're living in a fantasy land

Let alone the Bengals would never do this trade considering they have their choice at every non QB blue chip prospect 

We might aswell offer Eason and a 4th for the #1 pick..

And to top it off "Charles Darrisaw" doesn't exist in this class, not gonna pay much attention to a half baked post..

Brave poster...... Mock number 4........

Essentially you are trading Kelly for Darrisaw

Kelly is an excellent player. Darrisaw is a prospect...... I wouldnt do this trade even up, and I highly doubt anyone sitting at 5

would do this trade either for this player.

I could see this trade if we were going to get a star QB or DE (but we would have to throw in more picks)

Darrisaw isnt expected to be drafted until 12-15 (some mocks have him sliding to 21!)

You have him way early

Its always fun reading, even when I dont agree with everything listed 

you all need some coffee and try reading over the whole thread again.

Offer is to trade Kelly and our 2nd round pick...post was updated not giving away our 5th

Rest of you all need to go back a year or so and look over the Colts beat writer and value of trading away our top players and what it would command for each for Leonard, Kelly, and Nelson as the top 3 and he broke it down even farther per trades for rest of Colts top players.

40 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Brave poster...... Mock number 4........

Essentially you are trading Kelly for Darrisaw

Kelly is an excellent player. Darrisaw is a prospect...... I wouldnt do this trade even up, and I highly doubt anyone sitting at 5

would do this trade either for this player.

I could see this trade if we were going to get a star QB or DE (but we would have to throw in more picks)

Darrisaw isnt expected to be drafted until 12-15 (some mocks have him sliding to 21!)

You have him way early

Its always fun reading, even when I dont agree with everything listed 

Again I have Darrisaw going before Sewell so really not a big shocker but yes one trade could lead to another if the Colts wanted to purse a QB.

At least this scenario allows the Colts, again in my opinion to draft the best LT available early, and again we took Nelson 6th overall so no a stretch of imagination.  Then trade back with the Packers and select the best center available who is a Kelly clone if not better younger version.   Sounds like the Colts hit two home runs if this is baseball in the first.  Remind who's on second of that's right we won't have a second round pick under this assumption.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

You're not getting #5 with Ryan Kelly and a 5th, this isn't Madden, you're living in a fantasy land

Let alone the Bengals would never do this trade considering they have their choice at every non QB blue chip prospect 

We might aswell offer Eason and a 4th for the #1 pick..

And to top it off "Charles Darrisaw" doesn't exist in this class, not gonna pay much attention to a half baked post..

Charles / Christian whoever Mr C. Darrisaw ftw lol guess I need more coffee myself.  Then again I did leave my reading glasses elsewhere last night...

Bengals draft history of #1 picks and ending up on IR or out for long periods of time was the storyline here within 6 of the past years.  Odds don't look good for year #7 if you are superstitious. The Bengals already have a QB and LT they draft and the could really use a TE but really need a RT and upgraded guards.  Sewell projections never made sense to us here in Ohio.  Lesson learned in the NFL is to protect the QB.  Guess they could stay put and draft that TE then a center early in the 2nd would solve some of the Bengals issues.

To keep the masses happy and get that franchise LT and reduce that cost of overpaying 4 OL at least this mock would help take care of that and then some while also resetting our Edges plus backfilling players lost in FA for OL depth.

I am not going to criticize anyone who does a Mock Draft in here because I wouldn't even attempt to do one. Mock Drafts are just guesses, crap shoots, and crazy reaches but are fun to read. I will say this I would never trade Ryan Kelly, he and Nelson have great chemistry. Kelly is good with experience as well. I would just keep my 21 and draft a LT there, In round 2 - I would draft an edge rusher but still re-sign Houston to a 2 year deal for 20 Mill = 10 Mill a year. Houston would be taking a slight paycut but not much of one which he shouldn't. He was good last year with 8 sacks and several pressures. In FA I would go after a WR, I will leave it at that.

53 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Offer is to trade Kelly and our 2nd round pick...post was updated not giving away our 5th

Rest of you all need to go back a year or so and look over the Colts beat writer and value of trading away our top players and what it would command for each for Leonard, Kelly, and Nelson as the top 3 and he broke it down even farther per trades for rest of Colts top players.

Again I have Darrisaw going before Sewell so really not a big shocker but yes one trade could lead to another if the Colts wanted to purse a QB.

At least this scenario allows the Colts, again in my opinion to draft the best LT available early, and again we took Nelson 6th overall so no a stretch of imagination.  Then trade back with the Packers and select the best center available who is a Kelly clone if not better younger version.   Sounds like the Colts hit two home runs if this is baseball in the first.  Remind who's on second of that's right we won't have a second round pick under this assumption.

I hope that you dont take my disagreement as an insult..... my opinion isnt better than any one elses

Again, thanks for posting...... 

After I was was 10000% per incorrect on my last Mock draft a year or so ago, I figured Id let others take a swing at it :)

AND.......  I do need some coffee

:)

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope that you dont take my disagreement as an insult..... my opinion isnt better than any one elses

Again, thanks for posting...... 

After I was was 10000% per incorrect on my last Mock draft a year or so ago, I figured Id let others take a swing at it :)

AND.......  I do need some coffee

:)

I would never take a swing at one of these, impossible to even being close to what will really happen. I like reading them though, so hats off to the people that do them.

There is no need to call people narrow minded for disagreeing with you. You should know a trade from 21 to 5 will cost a lot more.

I admire all these attempts at mocks but some of them seem to get worse and worse. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is insane, respectfully. No one is giving up the number 5 overall pick for Ryan Kelly.Madness Americanhousewifeabc GIF by ABC Network

shut up and take my money GIF

Waiting on the next mock like 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would never take a swing at one of these, impossible to even being close to what will really happen. I like reading them though, so hats off to the people that do them.

Agreed......

I have never seen a reason to bash folks for an opinion..... 

My opinions arent always right, so why would I try to make someone else feel bad at with a different opinion?

I think the biggest issue with this mock is it is assuming that filling spots on the OL is as simple as just that. We have a void at LT, so we trade our starting center to then draft one. Then we use another draft pick to get a new center. On paper, that fills the needs, but OL is so much more than that. This isn't Madden where you can insert any G with comparable skills and gets the same result. Chemistry is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle for an OL and that's not plug and play. If you have members of your OL playing at a high level, you don't trade them away, because you're not just potentially weakening that position, but also the ones around it.

I'm all for out of the box thinking and appreciate your mocks presenting situations that most of us would never think of. With that, the further "out of the box" you get, the more criticism you'll typically get. With this one, I think the criticism is less with the players picked (I love Darrisaw, just not that high), and more to do with the disruption of OL chemistry that is never a good idea.

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Am I reading you correctly?    You think Darrisaw (who I love) going before Sewell is NOT a big shocker?    I’m hoping you’re being sarcastic and it’s just lost on me...

I’ll put it this way...  there is a Darrisaw level OT in every draft, year in and year out.  A very good player.    But there is a Sewell level OT that comes along once every 10-20 years.  He’s the Quenton Nelson of tackles.  Rare, special.  Possible future Hall of Famer. 

Darrisaw going before Sewell would be a huge shocker. 

13 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Bengals Round 1 Draft History:

2020 QB Joe Burrow – Torn ACL/MCL IR

2019 LT Jonah Williams – PUP Torn Labrum left shoulder

2018 C Billy Price – Foot injury missed 6 games – no longer starter

2017 WR John Ross – IR knee injury

2016 DB William Jackson – torn pectoral muscle IR

2015 OT Cedric Ogbuehi – entered camp with prior ACL injury – decline 5th year

Seems to me someone broke a mirror and the Bengals are having 7 years of bad luck drafting players in Round 1.  In 2014 DB Darqueze Dennard was healthy scratch most of the season.

Colts trade C Ryan Kelly to Bengals get R1P5 and Cincy gets Colts R5P148

Colts trade R1P21 to GB R1P29 (160) get GB R3P92 (132) and GB R5P156 (27.8)

Bengals                                Colts                                                      Packers

R1P5 (CIN-IND)                                     R1P21 (IND-GB)

R1P29 (GB- IND)                                              

R2P38 - RT                          R2P54                                                    R2P62

R3P70                                  R3P92 (GB-IND)                               

R4P101                                R4P117                                                 R4P125

R5P132                                R5P156 (GB-IND)                            

R5P148 (IND-CIN)

P6P165                                R6P180                                                 R6P188

R7P195                                R7P211                                                 R7P218

R7P197

Restructured Contracts

Grover Stewart, Jack Doyle, Kenny Moore II

FA Additions:

QB Carson Wentz

FS Marcus Williams 16m

MLB Jayon Brown 6m

TE Hunter Henry 11.5m

Draft

R1P5 (CIN-IND) - LT Charles Darrisaw (VT)

R1P29 (GB- IND) - C Landon Dickerson (Alabama)

R2P54 - WR Nico Collins (Michigan)

R3P92 (GB-IND) – DE Jordan Smith (UAB) played both edges

R4P117 RDE Wyatt Hubert (Kansas St)

R5P156 (GB-IND) – C Ryan McCollum (Texas AM)

R6P180 OT Grant Hermanns (Purdue)

R7P211 RB Gerrid Doaks (Cincy)

QB Carson Wentz, Jacob Eason

RB Jonathan Taylor, Gerrid Doaks, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins

WR T.Y. Hilton, Nico Collins, Zach Pascal, DeMichael Harris

WR Michael Pitman Jr., Ashton Dulin, J.J. Nelson, Quartney Davis

WR Parris Campbell, Dezmon Patmon, Gary Jennings

TE Hunter Henry, Jack Doyle, Mo Alie-Cox, Noah Togiai

LT Charles Darrisaw, Grant Hermanns

LG Quenton Nelson, Joey Hunt

C Landon Dickerson, Ryan McCollum

RG Mark Glowinski, Jake Eldrenkamp

RT Branden Smith, Danny Pinter, Will Holden

LDE Ben Banogu, Jordan Smith, Kemoko Turay

LDT DeForest Buckner, Tyquan Lewis

RDT Grover Stewart, Taylor Stallworth

RDE Al-Quadin Muhammad, Wyatt Hubert

WLB Darius Leonard, Matthew Adams

MLB Jayon Brown, Zaire Franklin, Jordan Glasgow

SLB Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed

LCB Rock Ya-Sin, Kenny Moore II, Isaiah Rogers

SS Khari Willis, Tavon Wilson, Rolan Miligan

FS Marcus Williams, Julian Blackmon, George Odum, Ibraheim Campbell

RCB Xavier Rhodes, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell III, Tremon Smith

I've seen you do a bunch of these.  Have not read them until now.  

I wish I had listened to my inner monologue and not opened this thread.

In all seriousness this might be the worst mock I've seen since the Jags passing on TL and taking Lance with the #1 pick. Your #1 pick 5 will end up being picked after the 2oth spot. Hell, he's projected to fall to us without trading up. Your other #1 pick, Dickerson is a complete reach. He bombed out a Florida State and only looked good with the talent around him. He's constantly injured, he'll fall to the third or later..

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think at #21 we can get a solid OT if Ballard wants to roll that way, this years draft has some good one's. 

Yes....   but....

Many of them are right tackles and will likely never be a left tackle.   Some will make the conversion, but it may take a year or two.

And the few left tackles there are, some of them won’t be ready to start as a rookie.   This is more tricky than many here think.  They read it’s a good year for tackles and think our problem will be solved.  

Maybe, or maybe not.

Archived