Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this the best Colts defense you have ever seen?

Nesjan3

Is this the best Colts defense you have ever seen?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the best Colts defense you have ever seen?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, don't forget Quinton Coryatt  he had a great that year. 

Yeah I guess I forgot because he didn't play as well after that year. Can't remember was he

injured, the following season? 

In his defense on the dropped pick Vs Pittsburg, the receiver did get a hand on the ball, so it wasn't like the ball hit him in the chest and he dropped it.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, eaglerockdude said:

"Led by Don Shula, the Baltimore Colts finished the 1968 season with a 13-1 record and won the NFL Championship. A team that has been hailed as one of the greatest teams in history for years, but also a team that lost to the Joe Namath led New York Jets in Super Bowl III. Throughout the regular season the Colts were beyond good and outscored opponents 28-10 on average. Having the second-best offense and the best defense in the league meant the Colts cruised into the postseason. Their avenged their sole loss of the season with their NFL Championship game when they defeated the Cleveland Browns 34-0."

Of course, who can really judge and compare new teams with old.  For sure the new guys are bigger and probably faster..and that team lost to Joe Willie Namath....which was fate.

Namath was one of my all time favorites...

Anyway...I am old enough to have enjoyed that superbowl live on TV.

This colts team...looks solid...u guys have a decent chance in the show IMO.

Best defense I saw was this one in 1968. We lost the SB because we stuck with Earl Morrell instead of starting Johnny U.

IMO, the best Colts defense for its time was the I think 1969 Colts

The year after we beat the Dallas Cowboys in SB V, 16-13

To defend the title the next year, we had an once great but aging Hall of Fame QB Johnny Unitis

When we talked football we my friends, they would say we did not have a QB

My rebuttal was with a defense like that, we don't need a QB!  No one could argue

I used like to write down the depth chart on paper when I was a kid.

Here's the starting defense that I can remember.

The Super Bowl defense was pretty intact except for Billy Ray Smith who retired and was replaced by solid inside pass rusher.

LDE Bubba Smith, All-Pro 290 DE in the days when 250 lbs was the norrm.

LDT Billy Newsome, very good inside pass rusher, more of a DE, replaced retired Billy Ray Smith

Trivia: Newsome was later involved in the trade that got the #2 pick QB Bert Jones

RDT Fred Miller, solid veteran who had a boxing background

RDE Roy Hilton, the unsung hero, was a pass rushing terror in the SB

LLB Ray May, solid and could also play MLB

MLB Mike Curtis, All-Pro

RLB Ted Hendricks, Alk-Pro, Hall of Fame, should have never traded him

LCB Jim Duncan, a dangerous kickoff returner, but did fumble a kickoff in the SB, but we still won

RCB Charley Stukes, a big CB about 6-3 210 

TS Jerry Logan, caused the deflection of RB Dan Reaves in the SB that Mike Curtis intercepted leading to 

game winning FB

FS Rick Volk, rangy 6-3 200 safety had a big interception in the SB.

For our Indy Colts:

I'd say the 2006 SB end of year, playoff and SB defense was the best.

The acquisition of DT Booger McFarland for Tampa Bay (Dungy knows all about him), for a #2 draft choice was a smart move.  Our defense improved with Booger after being run by Jacksonville and the likes early in the season.  Too bad Booger got hurt the next year, we would have a better chance to defense the SB title.

Some would argue Bubba Smith was more like 300 lbs.  

Back to our 2006 SB defense.  Besides DT Booger McFarland, DE's Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis.  We had the great Safety Bob Sanders, he made a huge difference in our defense.  Excelled in both run and pass defense.  I also liked LB Clint Session he had striking/hitting ability.  OLB Rob Morris found a way to contribute after we drafted him at MLB but it did not work out.  CB Marlon Jackson added quality DB depth, who became a starter the next year.  

As far as performance goes, that 2006/07 3 game playoff run against the AFC was the best I have ever seen a Colts defense play. The level of competition was at its best is why. We shut down Larry Johnson of the Chiefs (held them to 8 points), took out Baltimore at Baltimore when they actually had a good QB in McNair only giving up 2 FG's (held them to 6 points), and we did give up 27 vs Tommy and NE but got the critical stops in the 2nd half to win the game. They scored 34 but had a pick 6 so technically it was 27.

Bob Sanders was just so great when healthy and Freeney and Mathis both are arguably Hall of Famers.

The 2005 defense, the year we lost to the Steelers in the playoffs, was a really good defense.

And, I'm old, but the 1970 defense (super bowl V) was really, really good. Bubba, fred miller, billy ray smith dr, and Roy hilton on the line. And Mad Dog mike Cirtis, ray May and Ted Hendricks ( the mad stork!) At linebacker. and Rick volk still at safety. Heck, they WON that superbowl. 

Lastly, the 75-76 sack pack defense was pretty good too.

Enjoying the heck out of this one tho!

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As far as performance goes, that 2006/07 3 game playoff run against the AFC was the best I have ever seen a Colts defense play. The level of competition was at its best is why. We shut down Larry Johnson of the Chiefs (held them to 8 points), took out Baltimore at Baltimore when they actually had a good QB in McNair only giving up 2 FG's (held them to 6 points), and we did give up 27 vs Tommy and NE but got the critical stops in the 2nd half to win the game. They scored 34 but had a pick 6 so technically it was 27.

Bob Sanders was just so great when healthy and Freeney and Mathis both are arguably Hall of Famers.

To add to this we only gave up 10 points in the SB vs Chicago. One of their TD's was on a kick return by Hester.

13 hours ago, Caffrey said:

Some would argue Bubba Smith was more like 300 lbs.  

Back to our 2006 SB defense.  Besides DT Booger McFarland, DE's Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis.  We had the great Safety Bob Sanders, he made a huge difference in our defense.  Excelled in both run and pass defense.  I also liked LB Clint Session he had striking/hitting ability.  OLB Rob Morris found a way to contribute after we drafted him at MLB but it did not work out.  CB Marlon Jackson added quality DB depth, who became a starter the next year.  

Even when he played in Police Academy he was a medium build. No more than about 260.

Archived