Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs will sign Antonio Brown to a one-year deal (Merge)

Yoshinator

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree. They were at #13 last year. They could have moved to #5 and gotten Herbert. Makes me question Ballards ability to scout qbs

Perhaps Ballard didn't feel comfortable enough trading up for him. 

If he fell to 13 and the Colts passed then you'd have a point but for now they never really stood a chance at Herbert.

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree. They were at #13 last year. They could have moved to #5 and gotten Herbert. Makes me question Ballards ability to scout qbs

Just because Ballard decided to go a different route has nothing to do with his ability to scout QBs. 

Him trading a 13th pick for Buckner was a no brainer. 

As far as what Ballard did or didn't do in regards to trading up, is a complete unknown. We don't know what Ballard is doing till it's already done. 

We still don't know how Eason is going to work out so I wouldn't be so quick to judge. 

It totally amazes me to have a pretty good defense but if they don't play as good as the 85 Bears, they suck. 

:thinking:

On 10/23/2020 at 11:01 PM, ReMeDy said:

Keep in mind the Bucs are in win-now mode. They know once Brady is done, they are effectively done. Taking a chance on Brown makes sense, because Brown makes them better now. The Colts don't need to win now because we have a young nucleus of guys and a promising (imo) young QB in Eason. I know that sucks to hear, but Brown isn't worth compromising our locker-room over.

I agree with this. Makes no sense for the Colts to sign someone like Brown now. That being said, the Bucs have built a really good team with a lot of young talent. I like their secondary a lot and they have 2 great LBs. I would think they would look at drafting a QB this off-season or next year and let Brady groom him. They could be set up nicely for quite some time assuming Arians keep coaching.

Bruce Arians didn't want Antonio Brown, but he ended up with Tampa, anyway. Reports are saying that Tom Brady was pushing to sign Brown, so Arians gave in to Brady? Does Tom Brady have that much influence already? He only started with the new team this year, so it seems strange that he should be taking over like this. 

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

it's a joke he keeps getting chances 

The real joke is the dude getting another ring. Ronald jones is running like him brown. Leonard fournette just fell into their laps. Gronk decided he loves football again. And now antonio brown cleans up and finds a team when the coach say absolutely not.. smh..

Regarding specifically signing Antonio Brown, I would be against it as the guy would not be a fit here most likely chemistry wise and has too much past history, baggage too overcome. 

Now regarding the Ballard philosophies processes such as "build through the draft" and generally overvaluing draft picks (especially middle rounders) I do feel it is a bit of contradiction especially when you sign a Phillip Rivers in the offseason who probably has, at best, 2 years left (including this year) in him. 

The way I see it, there needs to be some moves to bolster the roster IMO especially considering some of the injuries at skill positions if we going to have any chance of making noise in the playoffs.  Otherwise, we are looking at either getting bounced in the WC round or divisional playoff round (if we make it) and I dont see how that helps anything with franchise long term when you are starting a 38 year old QB with no clear, known long term option on the roster at QB.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, teganslaw said:

Bruce Arians didn't want Antonio Brown, but he ended up with Tampa, anyway. Reports are saying that Tom Brady was pushing to sign Brown, so Arians gave in to Brady? Does Tom Brady have that much influence already? He only started with the new team this year, so it seems strange that he should be taking over like this. 

I would say yes and it is not strange at all. They paid Brady a fully guaranteed 2 year contract. They specifically signed him to try to win a ring in the next 2 years. That being said, I am really impressed with what the Bucs have done not just this year but the previous 2 seasons to make their roster a SB contender. Most think they are going "all in" to win but the opposite is true. 

All the players they have acquired has not cost them any draft capital other than Gronk (4th) so they have basically all of their draft picks for next year. 

Their salary cap doesn’t have much dead money.

They haven’t signed players to heavily backloaded contracts or restructured to delay cap hits.

They have few players on their roster who are paid more than they’re worth.

They don’t have a relatively old or aging roster.

They have plenty of productive young players on rookie contracts.

They only have a few UDFAs next season, with Godwin the only one who will cost significantly more than now.

They don’t have chemistry problems with their only notable concern Brown, who signed a one year, dirt cheap deal as a bonus player.

I think Licht should seriously be considered GM of the year and not just because he got Brady to sign there.

Archived