Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Devil's Advocate

Coltscrazy

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hines was given plenty of runs between the tackles last year too, which was a part of Reich keeping the Ds guessing. More than Mack and Taylor, Hines has the potential to keep Ds guessing more, IMO.

To me, it is important to retain your strengths first before diminishing your weaknesses. Our OL as a strength needs to continue its ways, and OL quality depth is a concern. Our DL run defense has finished Top 10 both the last 2 years, and with our DL coach leaving for the Panthers, our run D is something to keep an eye on again. 

More than anything else, the pass D is where Buckner's presence will be felt, IMO. But our run D and OL performances should hit the ground running for us to get double digit wins. Given lack of pre-season games, tackling could be shoddy, and if we remember against Ekeler, our LBs and safeties missed a lot of tackles in game 1 last year. The fundamentals in our trench play will be the one that will set the tone for the rest of the year. It is definitely a good opponent to start with, the Jaguars.

I hope it was because the run D was that good and not because teams chose to pass more because out pass D was not good.  Probably a bit of both.  

Starting with one of the worst teams in the league is a nice advantage for the Colts.   It's not a gimme, but it will allow the Colts the "preseason" type of game to gel.  

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Agree completely.  Hines should be THAT guy.  And I can't wait to watch him in the open field.  Ekeler is a 4.4 guy, which is pretty good.  But Hines is in the 4.3's.

Hines has a bit more straightline speed than Ekeler..

But Ekeler has the same agility and probably more burst (jumped higher and farther at his pro day).

The big difference between the two is that Ekeler is stronger and much more powerful. Because of this...he has been much better at evading tackles...and why he has had much more success running the ball...as well as getting yards after the catch and after contact. 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, CanuckColt said:

Not ready to embrace a run-first Colts team...this is a passing league.

If you want to be a contender, you have to throw the ball a lot.

Running gets us to 9-7 or 8-8...like if Brissett has to play.

He said “Run First” not run only.  Balance is the key to any effective offense. Colts should be able to run and pass effectively  this season.  The passing will be set up by the run and vice versa when necessary.  Reich does a decent job adjusting the game plan to the flow of the game for the most part.  I doubt the Colts become too infatuated with the run to the point that they will not pass when that is the best way to exploit a defense.  That said, when you sign a 38 year old QB who threw 20 picks last year, you don’t give him a license to go full Brett Farve out there. The run first approach should hopefully help Rivers to have a better season.  Provided our run game is as good as advertised. 

A dominating front 7 can make average CB's look good. We may not be dominate but I believe we are going to be pretty good. Ballard has this team on the right track.  The ONLY thing Im worried about with this team is Injuries.  On offense if Rivers goes down we are back to a fringe playoff team with JB. If Hilton goes down we are soooo young at receiver. If we lose Doyle man that would suck.  Next year might actually be our best shot at a superbowl when some of our young talent get some quality PT with a QB like Rivers.  Im looking for the Colts to make a big push this year but they wont have the talent yet to take them over the top.  I did have this vision though last night watching Rivers and Mahomes playing for the AFC Championship. That's not out the realm of possibility.  Baltimore though is primed to take down KC this year. Next year if all stay healthy, could be special.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:38 AM, krunk said:

To say Paris Campbell is yet to show anything is a bit dishonest. Most of us have seen him make enough plays to know he can play. Now we need to see him do it more. He cant help that he got injured. Im not that worried about the WR corps because we have a 16 yr vet QB back there. Vets like Rivers learn to play and be productive with a variety of different pieces and scenarios. I think our WR corps has talented pieces although not really deep on name recognition. If anyone has learned how to play with missing pieces its Rivers. The Chargers offense was quite often littered with injuries.

Paris campbell was not even average but below average he showed no flashes hardly ever.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:26 PM, Coltscrazy said:

Every year, people say it is the best roster we have had in years and predict massive success.  I certainly would love a 12 win season and a shot at the Chiefs, but I wanted to list a few concerns.

Offense - I'm not worried about Rivers at all.  I think behind our OL, he will be a better than average signal caller.  What does worry me is our wide receivers.  Parris Campbell has yet to show anything, and Hilton has been injured a lot.  We are putting a lot on rookie Pittman to fix a lot of problems.  The running game will be vicious, and Rivers should be fine, but I see us settling for a lot of field goals.

Defense - Buckner is an amazing addition.  He and Houston give us two proven studs.  The front seven is really good, but what about our corners.  Our best cover guy is our nickel, and he is coming off his worst year.  Then we have Rock and Xavier Rhodes who got cut by the Vikings.  I don't see any depth at all.  I think our safeties could be pretty good, but the corners scare me.  The D has a lot of strengths, but it is an air raid league, and I'm worried about how we match up outside. 

Like I said, I want a 12 win year, but I just wanted to voice some concerns.

Ballard is below average without Luck. Tis a make or break year

Archived