Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans sign Clowney?

Indyfan4life

It was reported Tennessee signed Clowney, but then the following statement was released:

Free agent Jadeveon Clowney tells Josina Anderson he has yet to make a decision on his new team. 

It appeared that the Titans had won the newfound Clowney sweepstakes with a one-year, $12 million deal, but Clowney is evidently relishing in a bidding war between Tennessee and New Orleans after months of his market being at a standstill. The Titans still appear to be the favorites, but it would seem they are going to have to further sweeten their offer. This could still get done Saturday night. 

Related:

New Orleans Saints

, Tennessee Titans

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Sep 5, 2020, 7:21 PM ET

Personally, I don't want him in the AFC South unless we had him. So please, go onto New Orleans and stop Brady.

22 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’ll just say that I’m not that surprised he’s getting one year offers that are roughly half of what he said his asking price was.

Clowney has always been a pretty good player....but nowhere near what an overall #1 should be.

Im sure teams would love to sign him at multiple years at that number. He is the one wanting a 1yr deal IMO.

58 minutes ago, w87r said:

Im sure teams would love to sign him at multiple years at that number. He is the one wanting a 1yr deal IMO.

Perhaps...but, if so, then it’s probably because the offers are so much lower than what he thinks he’s worth.  But he also doesn’t want to pull a Le’Veon Bell.  So he fires his agent because his offers are low and releases a statement about a “bidding war” between the Saints and Titans.

He’s living up to his surname.

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Perhaps...but, if so, then it’s probably because the offers are so much lower than what he thinks he’s worth.  But he also doesn’t want to pull a Le’Veon Bell.  So he fires his agent because his offers are low and releases a statement about a “bidding war” between the Saints and Titans.

He’s living up to his surname.

Definitely is living up to surname. And yes, because he is getting offered lower than he thinks he is worth.

Anderson tweeted that he is getting offers from other teams not just the Titans and Saints.  It appears other teams might be jumping in at the last moment.  Of course Clowney could be just telling her that. The fact that Turay is now out for at least six weeks makes you wonder if we might be revisiting Clowney.  Maybe that 12M is more in line to what Ballard might go for.  No way of knowing but losing Turay and Clowneys lower price might have Ballard back on the phone.  The next 48 hours could be really crazy.  

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is my opinion on Clowney - Good player, but not very good or great. I think he is a tad overrated but does he make a defense better, of course. If the Colts had got him I wouldn't complain but I don't think he is great.

He may make a defense better when he decides to put in the effort. Just a lot of money to pay for 3 sacks a year

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is my opinion on Clowney - Good player, but not very good or great. I think he is a tad overrated but does he make a defense better, of course. If the Colts had got him I wouldn't complain but I don't think he is great.

I think it was his highlight from College at SC knocking the Michigan RB's helmet clean off on that hit made his reputation bigger.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. The most sacks he has had in a season is 9.5. Houston does that in his sleep.

I agree that Clowney has some what lived off his hype since college.  I do think thst injuries have not allowed him to play up to his potential. Yes, Houston does get more sacks. That being said. Houston also should get the name of the rbs who constantly run past him as he is going for the sack. Clowney is an elite run defender, Houston is not that. 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:50 AM, csmopar said:

On 9/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, Indyfan4life said:

Yup. Titans got him. 

The Saints tried to get the Browns to sign Clowney, pay his signing bonus, then trade him to NO for a second round pick and a player TBNL. NFL rejected it.  Ravens tried something similar with the Jacksonville Jaguars

"- that would've allowed them to essentially trade picks for the cap space and cash needed to sign the pass-rusher. "

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2016483

28 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Saints tried to get the Browns to sign Clowney, pay his signing bonus, then trade him to NO for a second round pick and a player TBNL. NFL rejected it.  Ravens tried something similar with the Jacksonville Jaguars

"- that would've allowed them to essentially trade picks for the cap space and cash needed to sign the pass-rusher. "

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2016483

I seen that. But isn’t that what happened with Osweiller a few years back? So why is it suddenly a problem now?

On 9/6/2020 at 11:11 PM, Myles said:

Not good news for the Colts.  He certainly improves the Titans.  

Maybe, maybe not. He never really scared me or gave me pause when he was with the Texans. I really think he’s overrated and has done just enough to avoid being called a bust. But a game wrecker or changer that a number 1 overall should be, I don’t think he’s there

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Maybe, maybe not. He never really scared me or gave me pause when he was with the Texans. I really think he’s overrated and has done just enough to avoid being called a bust. But a game wrecker or changer that a number 1 overall should be, I don’t think he’s there

I agree.   But I do think he improves the Titans.   

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I seen that. But isn’t that what happened with Osweiller a few years back? So why is it suddenly a problem now?

It likely has at least a little to do with 'cash' part.

"Any trade of a draft choice or draft choices, or of player contract rights or negotiation rights, for any amount of money, is conduct detrimental to the league."

There was no cash involved in the Osweiler trade IIRC, just a shifting of cap space (hit) and exchange of draft picks.  Thus, it seems no cash can be involved in any way of such deals, and I probably feel that a team signing a player, and paying the signing bonus money, and then immediately trading the player (remainder of the contract) for draft picks is going to be frowned upon. That's my guess, anyway.

Archived