Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hilton had a few talks about contract extension

Lmaoo y’all are sad and horrible just a minute ago everyone’s crying Hilton needs help he can’t do it alone now it’s nah shouldn’t pay this or that for a 30 who had a down season playing injured with a non deep throwing JB one season removed from going the hell off with AL..for One Hilton can still burn any corner in the league and he also can run routes that’s his advantage if he continues to go down on his own when making receptions like Harrison and Wayne used to hell continue to exceed expectations into his 30s

TY has been one of my fav colts since he’s been here and I’ve always stuck up for him. Still to this day I think fully healthy he’s a top 10 threat.

hes never had a legit #2 since he’s been here and this year with Pittman he may finally get the help he’s needed

2 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lmaoo y’all are sad and horrible just a minute ago everyone’s crying Hilton needs help he can’t do it alone now it’s nah shouldn’t pay this or that for a 30 who had a down season playing injured with a non deep throwing JB one season removed from going the hell off with AL..for One Hilton can still burn any corner in the league and he also can run routes that’s his advantage if he continues to go down on his own when making receptions like Harrison and Wayne used to hell continue to exceed expectations into his 30s

Just because Hilton played hurt in 2018 for like 9 wks in a row should not be discounted that he was hurt and throw in the 2019 season where he missed 6 games is alarming.  If he can't stay healthy in 2020, should tell the staff everything they need to know about any kind of extension. 3 yrs in a row should not take a rocket scientist very long IMO.

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

TY has been one of my fav colts since he’s been here and I’ve always stuck up for him. Still to this day I think fully healthy he’s a top 10 threat.

hes never had a legit #2 since he’s been here and this year with Pittman he may finally get the help he’s needed

100% agree, IF healthy!!!

37 minutes ago, will426 said:

I think u r being way to serious. He has had injuries over the last 2 seasons. Thats a huge thing to consider before resigning him to a contract. As one gets older, they become more brittle. That is even more so for an NFL wr with a recent history of injuries who just turned 30.

Well we already know they had talks so they seem to want him to finish his career here. I think it will be a pretty easy negotiation since TY wants to finish his career here and they have such respect for him. They can structure it so it’s easy to get out of if he keeps getting injured. If he just slows down  some that’s ok because his leadership is huge. It’s the injuries they need to protect against.

On 5/13/2020 at 8:24 PM, chad72 said:

2 years $22 mil. with a team option for the 3rd?? That seems like a fair deal to me. 

That would be a huge hometown discount IMHO.  TY had an off year but he's still seen as a premium WR in a lot of circles.  

That's the thing that sucks about dealing with a guy who's just entering the decline phase.  there's always going to be pressure to pay for past production and you just can't do that if you want to get all the value you can out of your cap.

3 hours ago, will426 said:

you cannot have a cult player in the NFL in the cap era.  You HAVE to balance your needs and expectations for production based on the future, the past should only enter the discussion as a means to guess what the future will hold.

And frankly, the two most important and predictive seasons for any football player are the last 2 years, and in 2018 he played hurt, and in 2019 he was so hurt he missed significant time.  To say that's not a good trend is something of an extreme understatement

throw in the fact that Hilton is not a huge physical guy, and you have a recipe for a very rapid decline phase.

2018 is the first year since he became a starter that he actually missed games.

in 2019 he actually missed over a third of the team's games.

He just turned 31.

this math is not good.  In fact this math is really bad.  This is the math that leads to disastrous extensions that hold the team back.  Much as I love the guy no, I don't sign him at full price, I let him test FA and see if we can get him back on the cheap.  Sometimes you have to let a beloved player walk for the good of the franchise and this looks like one of those times.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t expect anything longer than 3 years, and that’s only if there are acceptable early outs for the team.   Players on the far side of 30 often age quickly and badly.  TY is showing signs of that already.   So I’d expect the Colts to be cautious with our offer.

It also doesn't help that speed is one of TY's primary weapons (it's not his only weapon but it's up there.)  So as he ages one of his primary weapons will fade.  

20 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think u r being way to serious. He has had injuries over the last 2 seasons. Thats a huge thing to consider before resigning him to a contract. As one gets older, they become more brittle. That is even more so for an NFL wr with a recent history of injuries who just turned 30.

Highly doubt Hilton will be asking for much he wants to stay here under any circumstance and retire at any length contract we offer apparently..my thing is he’s our only proven WR Period and has been great hurt or not besides “Last year” when the injuries became way too serious..let him train someone new as Wayne did for him  2-3 year isn’t a bad deal for Hilton if he can go off with rivers this year 

18 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

you cannot have a cult player in the NFL in the cap era.  You HAVE to balance your needs and expectations for production based on the future, the past should only enter the discussion as a means to guess what the future will hold.

And frankly, the two most important and predictive seasons for any football player are the last 2 years, and in 2018 he played hurt, and in 2019 he was so hurt he missed significant time.  To say that's not a good trend is something of an extreme understatement

throw in the fact that Hilton is not a huge physical guy, and you have a recipe for a very rapid decline phase.

2018 is the first year since he became a starter that he actually missed games.

in 2019 he actually missed over a third of the team's games.

He just turned 31.

this math is not good.  In fact this math is really bad.  This is the math that leads to disastrous extensions that hold the team back.  Much as I love the guy no, I don't sign him at full price, I let him test FA and see if we can get him back on the cheap.  Sometimes you have to let a beloved player walk for the good of the franchise and this looks like one of those times.

I feel like a lot of people are missing the fact that he Wants to be here but majority of people are just like nah he’s been injured all of a sudden and don’t want to extend him as if he’s going around asking for Huge money 

4 hours ago, will426 said:

I feel like a lot of people are missing the fact that he Wants to be here

That's why we're even having the conversation

to be blunt about it, I don't think TY ever DIDN'T want to be here.  character is not a special selling point this year, his character was always very strong.  But character used to be backed by health, now it isn't.  When you're talking about extending a guy you can't focus on what he used to be, you have to see who the player is right now, and what he's worth to you. 

The player Hilton is right now is a risk to miss any given game as his body is no longer holding up well to the NFL grind.  If you're not prepared to factor that into the decision making process then I'll content myself with being glad you're not the one making the decision

I sure hope the health gods smile on TY this year. He's due. 

If he looks healthy this year, I hope he gets a 3 year team friendly deal, although I will guess they give him 2 years. I'd love to see him have a great 2020 and then gradually work more inside as slot. If healthy, I think he'd could extend his career several years by moving inside.

Same ppl claiming Hilton’s a bit injure prone are same who’d want luck who was hurt equal to if not more Hilton has only had one true season where the injury was clearly hindering him every game which was this previous year

2 hours ago, will426 said:

Same ppl claiming Hilton’s a bit injure prone are same who’d want luck who was hurt equal to if not more Hilton has only had one true season where the injury was clearly hindering him every game which was this previous year

Huh? :scratch:

On 5/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, will426 said:

Sorry, punctuation goes along way. 

Archived