Colts Sign Ol Samson Satele

CashMoney

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a writeup from colts.com..

Satele, 6-3, 300 pounds, will enter his sixth NFL season. He was originally selected by the Miami Dolphins in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft and played in two seasons (2007-08) with the Dolphins before being traded to the Oakland Raiders (2009-11). He has competed in 78 career games (74 starts) and was a fulltime starter the last two years with the Raiders.

Satele and the Oakland offensive line paved the way for the Raiders to finish second in the NFL in rushing in 2010 and seventh in the league last season. He blocked for running back Darren McFadden’s first career 1,000-yard season in 2010 as McFadden ranked 12th in the league and 8th in the AFC in the category. In 2007, Satele started all 16 games and became the first rookie in Miami Dolphins history to start every regular season game at center.

Sure he's from the Raiders, but he's a pretty good Center. I'd say he's a starter next year.

Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, Justice, Ijalana

Oline set.

I'm not intending on singling you out (even though I suppose I am) and I'm certainly not saying you're going to be wrong.

I always find it amusing that with few exceptions whenever we sign someone new that they get penciled in by someone as a starter.

I'm not intending on singling you out (even though I suppose I am) and I'm certainly not saying you're going to be wrong.

I always find it amusing that with few exceptions whenever we sign someone new that they get penciled in by someone as a starter.

I think it's premature to call McGlynn or Justice starters, given they were backups for their last teams, both with marginal lines, but Satele has been a starter, and for a team that had a very solid OLine. I love the pickup!

While I agree that Saturday was on his last legs, but he was also pro bowl caliber talent, particularly with his mental grasp of the game. I don't ever remember Satele being nominated for the pro bowl.

Saturday had Peyton Manning taking his snaps. Satele didn't.

Man I hear ya, a lot of people look at a guy's height and weight and say 'OMG he's 6'6" 350 lbs, he must be good!!' But Satele is at least in the top half of the league as far as Centers go, and it definitely won't be AQ Shipley starting.

Superficially I love this signing - probably the best so far of the new front office. He looks like a "Raven" type player, and with all that successful starting experience it's nice to think that we have such an important position locked down by someone in their prime, without the conjecture about an aging Saturday coming back, or an unproven Pollack moving over. With a rookie QB the more important than ever, and it seems to be rounding into shape.

My only reservations come from the fact that I have no idea why the Raiders didn't try harder to keep them. People applaud their running game, but they released their right guard, will probably move another lineman to center to replace Satele, and are targeting other free agents. Hopefully he just wanted out or they couldn't afford him. Anyone have any more details?

Justice if he wins a job would be the tackle IMO

It could go that way, but from hearing what Saturday said about Ij, I think he has a ton of potential at Tackle. Justice is not very good in pass pro, because he doesn't have the footwork, but I think he's pretty good at moving bigger linemen out of the way. That's why I'm thinking he might be more suited at G than T.

Great move. Its almost 90% (IMO) that Saturday will be in denver next year, if hes playing.

More like 99% haha in my opinion. All fingers pointing west as of now. Bet we have a definite answer this afternoon or evening. Watcha Think ?