Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The cure for what ails ‘ya

WoolMagnet

With all the QB hoopla around here, and the uncertainty of the draft, FA....coupled with Edge’s recent accomplishment, i have decided how to beat the craziness.

I’m gonna watch the 1999 season start to finish.  Maybe even preseason.  A rookie Edge, coupled with a young Marvin and Manning in his 2nd year.  Just 3 kids playing a game.  The switch from 3-13 to 13-3.  And the start of something special.
 Cant wait.

• Like 7

Edgerrin James made the difference.  I recently watched a lot of that season and as the season wore on, it became obvious that both the Colts and defenses saw that he was a special player.

He didn't have enough deep speed to really be a home run threat, but he had the ability to turn any run play into a field position flip of 40 yards.  You can see that defenses were starting to account for him, and it still didn't matter, he eluded tackles and broke arm tackles on his way to more yardage.  He was the key player in those years. 

And don't forget, the Colts were 6 and 10 for one season when they still had Manning and Marvin and Reggie, but not Edge.  That's what led to the Freeney pick at #11.  The Manning and Marvin threat really came after that for the most part, during the Dungy years.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Edgerrin James made the difference.  I recently watched a lot of that season and as the season wore on, it became obvious that both the Colts and defenses saw that he was a special player.

He didn't have enough deep speed to really be a home run threat, but he had the ability to turn any run play into a field position flip of 40 yards.  You can see that defenses were starting to account for him, and it still didn't matter, he eluded tackles and broke arm tackles on his way to more yardage.  He was the key player in those years. 

And don't forget, the Colts were 6 and 10 for one season when they still had Manning and Marvin and Reggie, but not Edge.  That's what led to the Freeney pick at #11.  The Manning and Marvin threat really came after that for the most part, during the Dungy years.

Opened up that deadly play action to Marvin.

Still makes me smile just thinking about it.

And yes, Edge was special.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Opened up that deadly play action to Marvin.

Still makes me smile just thinking about it.

And yes, Edge was special.

Watch EJ's 1999 rookie highlights on youtube.  And Greg Gumble calling the Colts games brings back great memories.

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

With all the QB hoopla around here, and the uncertainty of the draft, FA....coupled with Edge’s recent accomplishment, i have decided how to beat the craziness.

I’m gonna watch the 1999 season start to finish.  Maybe even preseason.  A rookie Edge, coupled with a young Marvin and Manning in his 2nd year.  Just 3 kids playing a game.  The switch from 3-13 to 13-3.  And the start of something special.
 Cant wait.

Didn't Edge score a long td on his first carry in pre season against the Saints?

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Watch EJ's 1999 rookie highlights on youtube.  And Greg Gumble calling the Colts games brings back great memories.

I have better.  Have ALL the games on DVD.  From 1998 to present (all games).  Plus 2 - 4 games/ year in prior years, like the playoff run in ‘95.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I remember Manning, Marvin and Edge being interviewed together and he asked them about the 3 amigos nickname.  Marvin became known for being a junk food junkie. Etc...

I have a black and white photo (i cut from a magazine) that i framed.   I think it was from SI.  Anyway, its Manning, Marvin, and Edge sitting against a wall in uniform (no helmets). A verynatural looking moment. Edge is flipping a football to himself.  It may be my favorite Colts or football -related picture of all time.  They are so young and it is before any of them had any real NFL success.

Having the 3 sign that would put a smile on my face for a year!  I have an autographed Unitas pic that i watched his beaten, battered, painful fingers sign for me with a smile.

It is very special to me (connects me to him), and almost brings a tear to my eye when i look at it.   He was so kind and “real” the couple times i met him.  I would see him in the bowels of Memorial as a child almost every game i went to.  It was not uncommon to see past Colt greats walk past you in Memorial.  I think Unitas did radio at the time i was going yo games there.  Seemed like Lenny Moore or Lydell would pop up often too.  Roger Carr was a favorite i’d bump into often in “the halls”.

• Like 2

I always hated Miami (because I'm a ND fan), but I grew to love Edgerrin quickly. And I absolutely loved that ESPN cover of him with the dreads and gold teeth. It just looked "mean", and made me feel like the Colts were finally getting "tough". Gosh I really miss him. The only one I miss as much is Manning.

20 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

The main thing i’m noticing is Luck was no Manning.  Even a 2nd year Manning.

How people dont see him as the GOAT is beyond me.  Wins are great but Manning defines one of a kind.  Amazing what he did at the line.

Didn't we lose first round to TN? What did Luck do in the playoffs his first year without hall of famers.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:14 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Cant wait.

I remember being upset because we passed on Ricky Williams.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Dilger, Pathon, and EG Green along with Manning and Edge.

Man i miss those days.  We were so lucky to witness it.

You got it right, but Pathon and Green were crap on a platter.... Green was injured more than not, and Pathon had to jump and catch everything with his body.