Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s decision in 2020 draft should be easy

Ok look I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve been clamoring for a QB for a month now. But with tua probably going back to Bama there’s really not any other options that will be there. I mean Love will go top 10 now and Hebert just isn’t impressive. So what should ballard do? 

Yes trade down again. There will be some top 10 talent available when we pick that will lure a team in the twenties to want to trade up. Adding a 1st round pick to our arsenal for the 2021 draft would be beneficial with tua, Lawrence, and fields. Practicing patience is hard when it comes to the QB position, but it would put us in a better position a year later with better talent available. 

• Like 1

I'm not saying your wrong but say that's what we do, then Lawrence and Fields both stay in school and Tua comes back fully healthy and tears it up and goes #1... If Ballard doesn't love one of these guys then I don't want to take 'em, but if he does then he has to pull trigger. Predicting what will happen this draft is just guess work at this point but predicting next year's draft? A total crapshoot.

4 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Ok look I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve been clamoring for a QB for a month now. But with tua probably going back to Bama there’s really not any other options that will be there. I mean Love will go top 10 now and Hebert just isn’t impressive. So what should ballard do? 

Yes trade down again. There will be some top 10 talent available when we pick that will lure a team in the twenties to want to trade up. Adding a 1st round pick to our arsenal for the 2021 draft would be beneficial with tua, Lawrence, and fields. Practicing patience is hard when it comes to the QB position, but it would put us in a better position a year later with better talent available. 

We’re not getting a first down pick unless we’re moving down a long way. 
Possibly much farther than Ballard would prefer. 

And on January 1st,  no one knows where Love is going?   It’s way too early to know.   2nd round?   1st round?  Now you’re convinced Love is going Top 10?   It’s not even obvious he’s a top 20 kid yet.   Believe it or not, it’s still early in the evaluation process. 

Trading down is always possible with Ballard.  But he may want to sit tight and take BPA.   That’s always appealing to a guy like Ballard.  

Remember...   Ballard and his team will look at video three times.   Once in February after all star games.   Once in March after the Combine.   And once in April after Pro Days. 

There’s still lots of work left to be done.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Having those three pretty high picks ballard can’t screw this up. We should get 3 great players with those picks.

Well, if you say otherwise, someone might make a thread about it.  So, yep, he can’t screw it up!

No you can’t trade down. Remember that most of the blue chip players In a draft will be taken in the first 15 picks. We’re at 13 so QB or not, we don’t need to trade down. This is a rare spot to be in. Especially with some of the names that might be there

-Grant Delpit

-A.J. Epenesa

-Javon Kinlaw

-Kristian Fulton

-Henry Ruggs

-Tee Higgins

-Tristian Wirfs

You don’t trade back unless you get a king’s ransom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No you can’t trade down. Remember that most of the blue chip players In a draft will be taken in the first 15 picks. We’re at 13 so QB or not, we don’t need to trade down. This is a rare spot to be in. Especially with some of the names that might be there

-Grant Delpit

-A.J. Epenesa

-Javon Kinlaw

-Kristian Fulton

-Henry Ruggs

-Tee Higgins

-Tristian Wirfs

You don’t trade back unless you get a king’s ransom.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.    Especially with the amount of youth we have added over the last few drafts, we need impact players now.  I don't expect us to be drafting at 13 or lower again soon.

Ballard's decision in the draft should be easy indeed:

1. If he likes a QB, do what it takes to get him, including trading up.

2. If he can't get into position to draft a QB he likes or he doesn't like a QB, draft one of the numerous blue chip prospects that are likely to be there at 13. This is a strong draft. There are good OTs(if AC retires), there are strong WRs, there are strong Ss, CBs, LBs... There is Derrick Brown too, if you want to beef up the defensive line. There will be very very good players at 13 to pick if Ballard doesn't like any QB.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Ballard's decision in the draft should be easy indeed:

1. If he likes a QB, do what it takes to get him, including trading up.

2. If he can't get into position to draft a QB he likes or he doesn't like a QB, draft one of the numerous blue chip prospects that are likely to be there at 13. This is a strong draft. There are good OTs(if AC retires), there are strong WRs, there are strong Ss, CBs, LBs... There is Derrick Brown too, if you want to beef up the defensive line. There will be very very good players at 13 to pick if Ballard doesn't like any QB.  

Agree. If anything this is the year for him to trade up not back.

I can certainly see/understand a trade back BECAUSE there's so much talent in this draft.

If you got 10 tier one guys, and they're gone before your pick at 13, and you got 15 guys in tier 2, I'd certainly consider a trade back to the 20 range.

At this point, just make sure you're staying in the tier 2 range.

That also means you're in a good spot to trade up, as well.

Either way, there's got to be a trade partner.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree. If anything this is the year for him to trade up not back.

BTW, a strong possibility for me would be trading back by getting some other teams future 1st rounder (i.e. ammunition for trading up for one of next year's QBs). If we don't like a QB or can't get into position to draft the QB we like that is... 

• Like 5