Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign TE Matt Lengel

Patrick Miller

Lengel, 6-7, 266 pounds, has competed in 18 career games (two starts) with the New England Patriots (2016), Cleveland Browns (2017), and Cincinnati Bengals (2018). He has totaled five receptions for 39 yards and two touchdowns. Lengel was originally signed by Cincinnati as an undrafted free agent in 2015. Collegiately, he competed in 30 games at Eastern Kentucky and tallied 34 receptions for 367 yards and two touchdowns.

Lengel, 6-7, 266 pounds, has competed in 18 career games (two starts) with the New England Patriots (2016), Cleveland Browns (2017), and Cincinnati Bengals (2018). He has totaled five receptions for 39 yards and two touchdowns. Lengel was originally signed by Cincinnati as an undrafted free agent in 2015. Collegiately, he competed in 30 games at Eastern Kentucky and tallied 34 receptions for 367 yards and two touchdowns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I would guess if he was a player the Patriots would have brought him back. 

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

He, I believe, will be pretty much a blocking TE where Travis will be a receiving TE. Neither are a combo TE. 

He's not really good at blocking from all the reviews I could find.

IMO, purely a short term insurance signing. Doubt he sees action. 

Guessing it will be mostly a Doyle show. I wish they'd try to showcase MA-C more. We need to see if he's capable of being a top 2 guy prior to the draft/FA period.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Guessing it will be mostly a Doyle show. I wish they'd try to showcase MA-C more. We need to see if he's capable of being a top 2 guy prior to the draft/FA period.

I'm confused with the lack of playing time for Cox as well.   I remember him looking really good in limited time last season.   Apparently the coaches see something different.   But he's still on the team.  

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm confused with the lack of playing time for Cox as well.   I remember him looking really good in limited time last season.   Apparently the coaches see something different.   But he's still on the team.  

I wouldn't say the coaches see anything different. With Doyle returning, and the passing game taking a back seat, he's just a victim of circumstance IMO as all the pass catchers are.

The situation has obviously regressed many WRs/TEs production, but my biggest concern is the impact to the growth on rooks and guys like MAC.,

Options are now more limited, so he'll get some targets. Hope he makes the best of them.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

His snaps I believe are up there. He is being used as a blocker not in the passing game. I hope that changes now.

Interesting...Doyle from Western Kentucky and Lengel from Eastern Kentucky.  Before some moves to different conferences, these two schools were in the Ohio Valley Conference and bitter rivals.  The WKU-EKU game was the biggest of the season for both schools.  Since they moved on to different conferences, I'm sure that rivalry has cooled quite a bit.

But, these two will no doubt will have some interesting conversations.