Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Could It Hurt?

wercolts

Do Peyton and Irsay have one last conversation before Peyton inks a new deal with another team?

I've suggested that here but the 'get over it, he's not a Colt anymore' crowd ridicules any such suggestions..

Seriously.....I think Irsay fired Manning and that's it..

Peyton doesnt want to be leading these other teams on..

The next time they talk will be when Denver plays Indy

Do Peyton and Irsay have one last conversation before Peyton inks a new deal with another team?

Here is the imaginary conversation I have had:

JI: Hi Peyton. Hope all is well with your search for a new team

PM: Hi Jim, Yeah, it's a drag to have to work out for them though.

JI: Hey, did you expect them to offer without having seen you throw? C'mon man.

PM: I know. But it would have been simpler for me if you just paid me the option bonus and kept me a Colt.

JI: I already told you that it was not possible. The risk to the salary cap would be too great under that contract. And we're rebuilding, whereas you want to be in a position to win championships in the last few years of your career.

PM: Yes, which reminds me to ask you, which team do you think has a better shot?

JI: Go with the Broncos.

PM: I know. But it would have been simpler for me if you just paid me the option bonus and kept me a Colt.

JI: I already told you that it was not possible. The risk to the salary cap would be too great under that contract. And we're rebuilding, whereas you want to be in a position to win championships in the last few years of your career.

PM: Yes, which reminds me to ask you, which team do you think has a better shot?

LOL!! This made me chuckle. I do hope PM does choose the Broncos, IMO that's the best choice for him...and I do think Jim and Peyton parted on good terms.

JI: I already told you that it was not possible. The risk to the salary cap would be too great under that contract. And we're rebuilding, whereas you want to be in a position to win championships in the last few years of your career. So here's what I can offer you now. ____________________________________________________. Whadda you think?

Go with the Broncos and Go with God (he can be your back up)

I am sure Manning will get a deal done soon, but I think this is like Harrison. My take is: even if nobody else wants him, he is done playing for Indianapolis. I don't mean that as some kind of bash on Manning. I just think the team is going a different direction, and he is no longer a part of the plan, much like Harrison a few years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Irsay and Manning have kept their relationship going through all of this... I am sure Irsay is offering Manning advice and anything else he may need. I doubt there will ever be a discussion about Manning coming back to play for Indy... but I have no doubt that when Manning retires there will be a spot for him here in the front office.

I still would like Cardinals in my opinion, while Peyton can make a below average wide receiver look good (if Peyton will be fully healthy by the start of the season), 49ers are in the mix still also, but um Manning to Fitzgerald ENOUGH SAID, plus look at the players on their defense. i also hope has taken that into account, lets say He goes to denver plays their a couple years and finishes his career, well his not letting his backups have many if any practice snaps has been made clear by a few,what type of position does that put them in when he retires and if they happen to go deep into the playoffs, a middle to late first round pick? all things to take into account, if Im Elway Im sticken to my word about working with Tebow and give it another year to see if he can turn into a long term solution and if it dont then draft a QB, Broncos still need a number 1 stand out receiver, Arizona has it obviously, wherever he goes if he plays us Im rooting for the colts

I still would like Cardinals in my opinion, while Peyton can make a below average wide receiver look good (if Peyton will be fully healthy by the start of the season), 49ers are in the mix still also, but um Manning to Fitzgerald ENOUGH SAID, plus look at the players on their defense. i also hope has taken that into account, lets say He goes to denver plays their a couple years and finishes his career, well his not letting his backups have many if any practice snaps has been made clear by a few,what type of position does that put them in when he retires and if they happen to go deep into the playoffs, a middle to late first round pick? all things to take into account, if Im Elway Im sticken to my word about working with Tebow and give it another year to see if he can turn into a long term solution and if it dont then draft a QB, Broncos still need a number 1 stand out receiver, Arizona has it obviously, wherever he goes if he plays us Im rooting for the colts

All a team considering Peyton better be thinking about is the 2012 playoffs and Super Bowl..

They cant get to the Super Bowl this coming season with Tim Tebow...

....If you have the money to spend..its a move you have to make

Out of the question. That would only be a setback for both Jim and Peyton.

Peyton's about winning now out 3-5 years.

Jim is about establishing a competitive team years into the future.

That's two entirely different sets of goals.

Precisely.

Irsay and Manning both see it.

Most fans see it.

However, some fans are too emotional to see it, or maybe they just don't want to see it.

drafting luck straight up number 1 starts a new 10 year project thats going to end tragically.

You're the first person I have heard of that considers Luck a 10-year project, and one that would end tragically.

No scout or analyst has ever said something remotely like that.

I wonder why.

You're the first person I have heard of that considers Luck a 10-year project, and one that would end tragically.

I wonder why.

Totally unrelated. I like the color of the frog better this time :).

I wonder why.

for the team. Im sure Luck will be the next mathew stafford, i mean the next mark sanchez, i mean the next...well there is aaron rodgers. If he's the next eli manning or aaron rodgers we should be ok.

It wouldn't hurt for them to have a casual conversation, anything involving Manning and this team is a futile conversation though.

If you have a wound that you want to heal, do you keep picking the scab or do you leave it alone? You leave it alone, and that's exactly what needs to happen concerning Irsay/Colts and Manning. Leave it alone...let it heal and move on!!!

Precisely.

Irsay and Manning both see it.

Most fans see it.

However, some fans are too emotional to see it, or maybe they just don't want to see it.

It's out of the question today but back on March 7th it wasn't. At that time there were two viable directions. 1)Manage the cap, strengthen the weaknesses, and continue to win now. or 2) Start with all young players and possibly sacrifice a few years but develop a team to compete for another decade.

It's true some people are emotional because of the individual Peyton Manning.

I contend that many more are disturbed by the trade "now" for the "future". Too often the best laid plans just fail to develop and the future never arrives. In any case, those choices are now long gone. The die is cast.

All a Colts fan can do now, be he old Colt, new Colt, true Colt, or bandwagon Colt is hope he has someone to root for come January.

I maintain the math still holds for whatever team. PM + mediocre defense/run game = SB

Too bad we weren't smart enough to do just that....manage the cap....strengthen the weaknesses, continue to win now and understand how to still build for the future.....if our brutal enemies the New England Patriots have figured it out.......then why couldn't we........geeezzzzzz!!!

The more that's coming out about Peyton's healthy I think Irsay just made the decision to move on from Peyton Manning and start over with Luck. I think Irsay and the Polians went all in this past year to try to make a run to the Super Bowl and clearly it blew up in their face. If you look at the contracts there is no way in the world Polian didn't know they were going to have to cut a bunch of guys had things gone according to plan plus reworked Peyton's deal just to make it fit. So I think the Colts were planning on a rebuild after this past season regardless of the results. I think the first plan was to keep Peyton because they could try to take a shot or two before his career was over. Well when things went the way they did and Irsay had a guy looking him in the face who has been called the best college prospect since Elway Irsay decided just to rebuild from the ground up. So I don't think Irsay is going to change course and try to bring Peyton back at the 11th hour. If people want to try to keep floating that that's fine but I think there is a better chance of Irasy selling the franchise than there is of Peyton coming back.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Irsay and Manning have kept their relationship going through all of this... I am sure Irsay is offering Manning advice and anything else he may need. I doubt there will ever be a discussion about Manning coming back to play for Indy... but I have no doubt that when Manning retires there will be a spot for him here in the front office.

Watch the press conference again.

The frustration is written all over Peyton's face.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that Peyton and Irsay have talked since.

Manning has at least ten more years of great football left in him. y'all forget how competitive he is.

letting him go will be seen as the dumbest move in nfl history.

Okay, now I get it.

You're either still asleep and dreaming or you are just trying to troll.

10 more years? Seriously?

Too bad we weren't smart enough to do just that....manage the cap....strengthen the weaknesses, continue to win now and understand how to still build for the future.....if our brutal enemies the New England Patriots have figured it out.......then why couldn't we........geeezzzzzz!!!

When you cheat, its MUCH easier to be competitive year after year.

Plus, its no coincidence that the Pats didn't reach any sort of "run' until last year since Spygate.

There are NO coincidences in life. Theres always a "paper trail" (or video trail in this case)