Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exodus's Mock Draft 2.0 (with trade)

Indianapolis trades #26, Jacoby Brissett, and a fourth round pick to Washington in exchange for #15

Round 1:15) Ed Oliver, IDL

Let me start by saying that I really believe this trade to be realistic, but I’m not so sure about the target. Oliver is a top five pick in any of the past three drafts, but I’ve had this opinion for a while that he may slide in this draft for no reason whatsoever. There are a LOT of really good “fit” picks in the top ten, and there are a bunch of teams in the top 15 who I feel are rather unpredictable. Atlanta is the last road block between us and Oliver, and there is a VERY good chance they take him. If not, and Oliver falls to 15, Ballard needs to be picking up every phone in the building to try and trade up.

Round 2:34) Jeffery Simmons, IDL

Ed Oliver and Simmons in the same draft class should scare the AFC South for the next five years. Ballard wants to only have to rush four on any given play, and locking down the middle with two top-five talents already wins us the 2019 draft.

Round 2:59) Kelvin Harmon, WR

Harmon looked like a first round pick there for a while, but his combine hurt his stock. People get so caught up in flashy numbers sometimes it can cloud the truth: all Harmon does is catch footballs. Harmon is a ‘Ballard guy” at 59. High motor, good character, and good football player. Sure he’s not the fastest, but in Reich’s quick release system, I feel like Harmon will murder the middle of the field on slant routes.

Round 3:89) Amani Hooker

I have to be honest here, I have not watched a ton of tap on Hooker, but nonetheless this is the pick here. Ballard has said how much they like the Safeties in this class, and in my mind that extends into the later rounds. I see him mocked to us a TON with this pick, and I’m trusting my peers here. I know a safety in round three isn't going to come in and change the defense day one, but if a player is willing to develop (which it sounds like Hooker can), then I say go for it.

Round 4:129) Traded to WASH

Round 4:135) Bryce Love. RB

I remember when Bryce Love was going to be the next great RB, but injuries have PLAGUED him. Reich wants a top-5 rushing attack, and Ballard wants high character guys on the team. Win win. Love doesn’t have to be the guy, and get to benefit from a RB by committee approach. This pick would be a steal in my opinion, and a ton of the experts think this is value.

Rounds 5-7: BPA plain and simple.

Thoughts and opinions welcome, especially when it comes to Oliver’s landing spot, because I know a ton of people may have him off the board earlier than this.

• Like 2

after watching his film..... I love Harmon as a college WR, but not as a pro-X. he's got great hands and uses his body very well, but even in college he struggled to get off the line when pressed. he had a great 2017 coming out of no where, but IMO faded a bit in 2018. he totally got shut down vs Clemson and FSU in 2018, two teams with talented DBs. i think he'll ultimately end up as a depth X, or potential big slot. great floor, not a great ceiling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

after watching his film..... I love Harmon as a college WR, but not as a pro-X. he's got great hands and uses his body very well, but even in college he struggled to get off the line when pressed. he had a great 2017 coming out of no where, but IMO faded a bit in 2018. he totally got shut down vs Clemson and FSU in 2018, two teams with talented DBs. i think he'll ultimately end up as a depth X, or potential big slot. great floor, not a great ceiling.

I've been stacking my WR board and it seems like I agree... Harmon keeps falling and falling down the board the more WRs I watch... He's WR13 with R3 ranking for me right now. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been stacking my WR board and it seems like I agree... Harmon keeps falling and falling down the board the more WRs I watch... He's WR13 with R3 ranking for me right now. 

Yup, agree. I do think Harmon will have a solid career in the right system with the right QB. I just see him as more of bully/big slot, than a legit X.  He's about the same place on my WR stack. I'd probably take some chances on guys further down my list with higher ceilings, than with Harmon.

For us, I see it like the following. Would appreciate your thoughts on the below.

X - easily the biggest need. If we define X as a decent sized speedy good hands guy that can beat the press and go vertical, we simply don't have that now. Cain could be that guy, but I hate to bank on both his recovery, and his speed coming back day one. DF is a possession guy, not a deep threat, and better in the middle than on the perimeter. 

Slot (general and big slot) - Rogers took a nice step forward last year with Luck back. He gets pretty good separation (ranked 9th in the NFL in target separation). Great catch rate, but not great at contested catches, and had too many drops. I'd expect DF to play a decent amount of snaps here.

Z - TY obviously has this locked down. He's not getting younger though, and had his share of injuries last year. When he was out, we struggled mightily. Even when he was in and getting doubled, we struggled. We're going to have to look for the next TY in the next 2-3 drafts. I think TY could easily extend his career if he wanted to take more slot reps though. 

Overall, give me a guy who is a legit X, or a true speed guy that can play multiple spots (X, Z, Slot). 

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

X - easily the biggest need. If we define X as a decent sized speedy good hands guy that can beat the press and go vertical, we simply don't have that now. Cain could be that guy, but I hate to bank on both his recovery, and his speed coming back day one. DF is a possession guy, not a deep threat, and better in the middle than on the perimeter 

There is another player returning from injury that too could fit that description. Marcus Johnson is 6'1 and 200+ lbs and runs a 4.39 40. The kid has been plagued by injuries recently but was starting to make a name for himself in Philly before the Hawks asked for his inclusion in the Bennett trade. Then of course Frank wanted him back here. The battle at WR this summer should be a good one. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/22/former-eagles-wr-marcus-johnson-earning-his-role-with-colts/amp/

• Like 3

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

There is another player returning from injury that too could fit that description. Marcus Johnson is 6'1 and 200+ lbs and runs a 4.39 40. The kid has been plagued by injuries recently but was starting to make a name for himself in Philly before the Hawks asked for his inclusion in the Bennett trade. Then of course Frank wanted him back here. The battle at WR this summer should be a good one. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/22/former-eagles-wr-marcus-johnson-earning-his-role-with-colts/amp/

I too liked Johnson.  Look for him to become a player for us but him nor Cain should prevent us from taking a talent at WR if the board falls right to us. Imho 

23 hours ago, Exodus said:

Indianapolis trades #26, Jacoby Brissett, and a fourth round pick to Washington in exchange for #15

Round 1:15) Ed Oliver, IDL

Let me start by saying that I really believe this trade to be realistic

Why do you think that trade is realistic? The over valued Brissett will not bring back what people think. Way to high of expectations with him. To be honest that trade would never work. 

I would love Oliver though. 

I doubt we end up trading Brissett; and, if we do trade him, I doubt we go this draft without picking up a qb in the top four rounds.  Ballard seems to have been adamant about not going into the season without a backup quarterback he can trust.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:44 PM, DaColts85 said:

Why do you think that trade is realistic? The over valued Brissett will not bring back what people think. Way to high of expectations with him. To be honest that trade would never work. 

I would love Oliver though. 

I’d like Oliver too I wouldn’t expect many to be oh no not him. I believe you are correct I there is no way that trade happens.  Brissett would equal roughly 300 points on the value chart maybe if we throw in pick 89 but likely it takes more than that 

On 4/13/2019 at 3:29 AM, akcolt said:

Don't put any faith on Johnson. He's been promising and then dissappointing since college and hasn't done anything to change that. 

5 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Don't put any faith on Johnson. He's been promising and then dissappointing since college and hasn't done anything to change that. 

Well Reich and Ballard has put some faith in Johnson so I will take it at that.

Johnson may or may not make this crowded position but he will have the chance.

I don't consider being injured a sign of not being talented enough.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Reich and Ballard has put some faith in Johnson so I will take it at that.

Johnson may or may not make this crowded position but he will have the chance.

I don't consider being injured a sign of not being talented enough.

Injuries are just part of it. At Texas he'd flash (for a play or sometimes even a quarter) and then be terrible for weeks. He just has a huge problem being consistent and it doesn't help that he's oft injured which resets it every time.