Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do if Noah Fant fell to No.26?

While we discuss several players, we might as well throw in a few skill position guys.

Dallas Clark deja vu but with better ability, IMO. Tight End U that produced DC and Kittle, and the Hawkeye TEs are well coached with things you run in the NFL. 

Ability to separate - check

Contested catch ability and good hands - big check

YAC - big check

Decent size for a TE - check

Blocking - decent, better than DC, blocks better in space and while split out than close to tackles

An offense that maximizes TEs - check

Thoughts???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

While we discuss several players, we might as well throw in a few skill position guys.

Dallas Clark deja vu but with better ability, IMO. Tight End U that produced DC and Kittle, and the Hawkeye TEs are well coached with things you run in the NFL. 

YAC - big check

Blocking - decent, better than DC, blocks better in space and while split out than close to tackles

Thoughts???

With his teammate possibly surpassing him in the draft it's not incredibly unlikely he could fall to 26. We may hear a ring from the Pat's if that's the case. If hes truly the BPA at 26 then yea, ebron had a great year but he could be replaced 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like Fant. 

Who else is on the board? Who's calling?

For starters, all the safeties are still on the board, and as far as 1-tech, 3-tech prospects, let us say Dexter Lawrence and Jerry Tillery are also on the board, DeAndre Baker and Amani Oruwariye are on the board as well. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

For starters, all the safeties are still on the board, and as far as 1-tech, 3-tech prospects, let us say Dexter Lawrence and Jerry Tillery are also on the board, DeAndre Baker and Amani Oruwariye are on the board as well. 

Jonah Williams gone? Hock gone? Ford? 

I think I'd trade down. I don't know Tillery well enough to say I'd take him there; I feel like consensus has him 40ish, not mid 20s. Not thrilled with Lawrence, and I don't see the value at corner for our defense, although I like Baker. 

If all the safeties are there, and I like CGJ, Thompson, Adderley, Hooker, and the Colts apparently like Abram, then I can get value in the second round.

I'd fish for a good trade. Maybe GB will come up, and give up their 4th rounder. Then I'm at #30.

Is that a cop out?

If Tillery is there too, no. If not, maybe. I wouldn't be irritated, but I think there's much bigger needs. We're already the #1 spender in the NFL on TE.

If the Colts were serious about going after Fant, not sure why they went after Funch. Same height, a few pounds difference. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

YAC - big check

Thoughts???

Weirdly enough they compare him to Ebron... I think he's better blocker than Ebron, but it seems like he's had some drops issues like Ebron:

Overall I will most probably have another player there I like better, but I do think that's not unreasonable to draft Fant. I will probably be OK with it if it happens. 

If Fant is there...wait 3 seconds and send the pick in. We still have 2 2nd round picks to go secondary and defensive line. Fant can be the go to target for Luck for the next 8 year's, and there's a big drop off at TE after he is gone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'd fish for a good trade. Maybe GB will come up, and give up their 4th rounder. Then I'm at #30.

Is that a cop out?

I don't think so.  Unless Fant or Tillery are really that high on the big board... you do trade down.  If all the safeties are on the board, then a good one will still be there in the 2nd.  Normally you're going to get some extra love in terms of trade compensation when you trade down in the 1st.  

I hate us being so far down the conveyor belt, but such is the price of success.  I like the idea of multiple second round picks, especially if you can create a situation where you have back-to-backers.  "We've got the next 2 picks and nobody can do anything to stop it."  I like that.

To answer the original question, I'd be fine with Fant if it's part of the plan.  Luck and Reich seem to be the foremost experts on exploiting match-ups from that position... and getting them the ball.  

I'm starting to hear grumblings of Funchess playing the slot and the Colts wanting a Top-5 run game.  We've already got the best O-line in the game.  This type of offensive philosophy suggests a ball-control offense consisting of clock control and short, precision passing to win 10-yard fight while creating the constant threat of play-action chunk plays at any moment.  This is the hallmark of a brilliant offensive mind in Coach Reich.  It's not new.  It's just being applied to it's maximum potential with the unique talent right here in Indy.  If Fant is the future of that machine, I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I saw a tweet AZ met with Bosa today. They may still not know what they are going to do.

Yeah originally I thought they were just driving up the price of #1. And theres a few things about Kingsbury saying 'Rosen is our guy'. Who knows!

On 3/28/2019 at 8:01 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'd rather have Abrams, Rapp, or Deionte Thompson. The secondary is a bigger issue than TE, and I don't think it's close. 

While I agree, we have to keep in mind that both Ebron and Doyle are FAs next year. I don’t anticipate both being re-signed. Fant would make a lot of sense. I wouldn’t rule him out completely.