Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Random Sunday thoughts

Legend of Luck

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What ever Ballard chooses to do in round 1, I am on board with it. He is the man IMO after last years draft. I prefer D.Line but if he goes a different route I trust what he is doing. I do not complain much though. You can never have too much depth on the D.Line. SB's are won in the trenches = D.Line/O.Line and with a good to great QB.

You know we’re going to read who Ballard should have taken during the draft, right here on this forum.  Probably the same people who complain after the first preseason game.    

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have opinions or that we should have blind faith in Ballard.  But he’s certainly earned a TON of leeway.  We may have to admit he knows a little more about players than most of us!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

You know we’re going to read who Ballard should have taken during the draft, right here on this forum.  Probably the same people who complain after the first preseason game.    

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have opinions or that we should have blind faith in Ballard.  But he’s certainly earned a TON of leeway.  We may have to admit he knows a little more about players than most of us!

Yeah he nailed the draft last year with Nelson and Leonard. I absolutely loved the Ebron signing last season and now the Houston signing in Free Agency. I give him leeway. I think he deserves it. He even hired the right coach after the McDaniels fiasco.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Hockenson, he looks impressive. He may even be gone before we pick.

Yeah, they’re predicting the 20s.  He graded out really well, great blocker, excellent receiver, good speed and knows how to use his body.  

If he falls to us I have little doubt we’d take him.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

My only hesitation going into the season is that our schedule is much harder.

I think the team will be clearly better, especially from the jump, seeing as we will have continuity across the entire team and coaching staff.

Having basically the same team back for '19 will make this year smoother all around, and I think we will be even better/more consistent than we were down the stretch. 

Colts have the 7th hardest schedule, and face several top QBs.

I'm stoked to have Houston. I really want a vertical WR and a iDL in the draft. With that, I think we can absolutely compete deep in the playoffs. 

I think our secondary is going to look better this year simply because we have improved the pass rush.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Colts have the 7th hardest schedule, and face several top QBs.

I'm stoked to have Houston. I really want a vertical WR and a iDL in the draft. With that, I think we can absolutely compete deep in the playoffs. 

I think our secondary is going to look better this year simply because we have improved the pass rush.

I can see us having the same record as last year. Harder schedule but I think we will be a better team so it will offset. I can see 10-6 again, with some breaks 11-5. We need to win our home games and go like 7-1/6-2 in those. We do that, we will be fine.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can see us having the same record as last year. Harder schedule but I think we will be a better team so it will offset. I can see 10-6 again, with some breaks 11-5. We need to win our home games and go like 7-1/6-2 in those. We do that, we will be fine.

No way we should lose a home game at all. 

Road is tough, but I think we go 2-1 vs AFC South on the road. If we can go 2-3 in the other road games, I'll be happy. 12-4 would be very very nice, but I'd be OK with 11-5

2019 Colts home slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Atlanta Falcons

• Carolina Panthers

• Denver Broncos

• Miami Dolphins

• Oakland Raiders

2019 Colts away slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Kansas City Chiefs

• Los Angeles Chargers

• New Orleans Saints

• Pittsburgh Steelers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Like 2

Road is tough, but I think we go 2-1 vs AFC South on the road. If we can go 2-3 in the other road games, I'll be happy. 12-4 would be very very nice, but I'd be OK with 11-5

2019 Colts home slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Atlanta Falcons

• Carolina Panthers

• Denver Broncos

• Miami Dolphins

• Oakland Raiders

2019 Colts away slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Kansas City Chiefs

• Los Angeles Chargers

• New Orleans Saints

• Pittsburgh Steelers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I just said 7-1 at home because we will probably lose one we shouldn't but I can see 7-1 and 4-4 on the road for 11-5. Most of our tough games are on the road. 

Our home schedule looks pretty good. We should not lose one but like the post above we probably will lose at least one. I also think it’s possible we win one or two of those road games we think we will lose. It is so important to get off to a good start this year. I can’t wait to see the schedule. What kind of saved our season last year was getting those those three home games in a row.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Our home schedule looks pretty good. We should not lose one but like the post above we probably will lose at least one. I also think it’s possible we win one or two of those road games we think we will lose. It is so important to get off to a good start this year. I can’t wait to see the schedule. What kind of saved our season last year was getting those those three home games in a row.

I know it is too early to be picking what we will go. Draft hasn't happened yet plus I always wait until pre-season is over to make a permanent prediction. Teams are different every season too but going by what is on paper now, I see 11-5 as a very early prediction assuming we stay healthy. I just think we will be better. 11-5 could get us a bye week, it did the Pats.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know it is too early to be picking what we will go. Draft has happened yet plus I always wait until pre-season is over to make permanent prediction. Teams are different every season too but going by what is on paper now, I see 11-5 as a very early prediction assuming we stay healthy. I just think we will be better. 11-5 could us a bye week, it did the Pats.

It’s also important  to see the schedule. I mean will those tough games be spread out or will we have some back to back. Makes a big difference.

• Like 1

The only offensive players I'd be okay with in the first are Hockenson or a if Ballard sees a future LT. I'd be okay with franchising AC and trying to trade him.  Outside of that, almost any defensive spot works if it's BPA.

28 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

2019 Colts home slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Atlanta Falcons

• Carolina Panthers

• Denver Broncos

• Miami Dolphins

• Oakland Raiders

2019 Colts away slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Kansas City Chiefs

• Los Angeles Chargers

• New Orleans Saints

• Pittsburgh Steelers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The 5 non-division Home games all seem winnable. No gimmies, but winnable. Raiders & Panthers should be interesting. I'm not high on dolphins or falcons this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wig said:

The only offensive players I'd be okay with in the first are Hockenson or a if Ballard sees a future LT. I'd be okay with franchising AC and trying to trade him.  Outside of that, almost any defensive spot works if it's BPA.

Why can't a 'offensive bpa' work?

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The 5 non-division Home games all seem winnable. No gimmies, but winnable. Raiders & Panthers should be interesting. I'm not high on dolphins or falcons this year.

It's our road schedule that looks scary. Even Division games on the road are tough. We laid an egg in Jacks last season for example.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just said 7-1 at home because we will probably lose one we shouldn't but I can see 7-1 and 4-4 on the road for 11-5. Most of our tough games are on the road. 

We need to be the team that protects their house, and doesn't lose the ones they shouldn't. 

IMO, 11-5 is floor in terms of expectations regardless of who we get in the draft. Our D has already improved with Houston, and I think our young guys take a step forward. I still think we are lacking a legit WR2 that can go vertical. If we can get one in the draft, or if Cain comes back and is more productive earlier than thought, I think we can go 14-2.

We need to be the team that protects their house, and doesn't lose the ones they shouldn't. 

IMO, 11-5 is floor in terms of expectations regardless of who we get in the draft. Our D has already improved with Houston, and I think our young guys take a step forward. I still think we are lacking a legit WR2 that can go vertical. If we can get one in the draft, or if Cain comes back and is more productive earlier than thought, I think we can go 14-2.

Maybe I don’t pay enough attention but I cant tell you who the patriots receivers are other then Edelman. When you use your tight ends as receivers you can get away without a second stud at WR. We will see what happens this next season and if funchess is that guy or someone else steps up.

All great teams, in every sport... from the Warriors, to the best baseball teams, even the Patriots, lose a game or 2 a year that they shouldn't. Every single year through out the Patriots dynasty, they've lost a game they shouldn't. Its virtually guaranteed to happen. 

I know, it SUCKS to lose games to teams like the Jets and Jacksonville the way we did last year, but, the margin for error is so slim in the NFL, you almost have to expect it to happen once or twice a season.

But I believe in this team whole heartedly, and if we drop a game or 2 that way, I have all the confidence that they'll make up for it by beating the Saints, Steelers, Chiefs, or Chargers to make up for it.

11 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Sitting around on a Sunday morning and had a couple things on my mind.

1. I was thinking about the differences between the 2017 and the 2018 drafts under Ballard.

Yeah I guess this concept is the million dollar question going into this draft.  We'll have a big enough sample size in May to start drawing more conclusions.  Right now we're all waiting with fingers crossed to see if he can hit a couple more gopher balls like he did last year.  

You could argue that Nelson and Leonard would both be top-5 picks if teams got to do 2018 over... Top-10 for certain.  It's unrealistic to think Ballard could replicate that performance, but if he gets anywhere close we'll be in real good shape for a large window of time.  I, for one, am excited.

35 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

A lot just depends on health and breaks/winning the close games. I can definitely see 11-5, I am a very positive person and optimistic but 14-2 is pushing it. Remember this past year, I picked us 9-7 and many thought I was on drugs :funny:. There were many that did say 7-9 or 8-8 but few had us with a winning record. I seen a lot of 6-10's.

46 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If you think Ballard will use an early pick on a WR I think you are going to be very disappointed. Maybe a 4th -6th. Rounder but.... yea youre gonna be disappointed

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe I don’t pay enough attention but I cant tell you who the patriots receivers are other then Edelman. When you use your tight ends as receivers you can get away without a second stud at WR. We will see what happens this next season and if funchess is that guy or someone else steps up.

Pats have Edleman and Josh Gordon. Both studs. Each of them missed at least 4 games last year. Gordon will get min 1200 this year if healthy. Edleman had 800+ last year and should have 1000 if healthy. The Pats have had a lot of very good and very productive WRs. They are just not flashy, and BB swaps regularly. Pat's scheme uses both the TE and RB a lot. Much more han Reich's O in terms of primary targets.

White, their RB, had 750 yards receiving last year. Hines led our RBs in receiving with about 400 yards. Hoping he gets more targets next year. He's got wheels. Gronk has been a thousand yard guy several times, but missed the mark a few years because of injury. From a yards per game average, he's an 1100 yards/year guy normalized. Ebron had 750 last year, his best year to date.

If you look at the top passing Os and Os in general (and we are a passing O), we have the poorest WR group by far. Our WR2 was the poorest by far. The overall unit only had one WR in the top 100 (yards), while most at min had two in the top 50 (a few have 2 in the top 10, and several 2 in the top 20), several had 3 and 4 in the top 50. 

I posted WR groups for the top 12 or 15 Os, and listed out their WR's individuals ranking (yards). It was ugly. And most of those teams had TEs and RBs with more passing yards too. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot just depends on health and breaks/winning the close games. I can definitely see 11-5, I am a very positive person and optimistic but 14-2 is pushing it. Remember this past year, I picked us 9-7 and many thought I was on drugs :funny:. There were many that did say 7-9 or 8-8 but few had us with a winning record. I seen a lot of 6-10's.

I'm not sunshine pumping with 11-5 lol.

And, 14-2 ONLY with a big upgrade at WR. 

I predicted 10-6 last year with the caveat that Cain broke out. I made a lot of wrong assumptions, but also underestimated the AFC South too. The fact we went 10-6 without Cain, and with an improved AFC South, is a great story. Had we not been a revolving door at WR, we could have had some home games :-). Thank god for Ebron, Leonard, and Nelson!

• Like 1

Pats have Edleman and Josh Gordon. Both studs. Each of them missed at least 4 games last year. Gordon will get min 1200 this year if healthy. Edleman had 800+ last year and should have 1000 if healthy. The Pats have had a lot of very good and very productive WRs. They are just not flashy, and BB swaps regularly. Pat's scheme uses both the TE and RB a lot. Much more han Reich's O in terms of primary targets.

White, their RB, had 750 yards receiving last year. Hines led our RBs in receiving with about 400 yards. Hoping he gets more targets next year. He's got wheels. Gronk has been a thousand yard guy several times, but missed the mark a few years because of injury. From a yards per game average, he's an 1100 yards/year guy normalized. Ebron had 750 last year, his best year to date.

If you look at the top passing Os and Os in general (and we are a passing O), we have the poorest WR group by far. Our WR2 was the poorest by far. The overall unit only had one WR in the top 100 (yards), while most at min had two in the top 50 (a few have 2 in the top 10, and several 2 in the top 20), several had 3 and 4 in the top 50. 

I posted WR groups for the top 12 or 15 Os, and listed out their WR's individuals ranking (yards). It was ugly. And most of those teams had TEs and RBs with more passing yards too. 

No doubt we can do better. EE I know is a TE     but he did kind of play the WR role this past season. If we can get funchess to give us 800 to 1k yards we will be that much better. 

I'm not sunshine pumping with 11-5 lol.

And, 14-2 ONLY with a big upgrade at WR. 

I predicted 10-6 last year with the caveat that Cain broke out. I made a lot of wrong assumptions, but also underestimated the AFC South too. The fact we went 10-6 without Cain, and with an improved AFC South, is a great story. Had we not been a revolving door at WR, we could have had some home games :-). Thank god for Ebron, Leonard, and Nelson!

You were like me, one of the few that thought we would have a winning record. I had 9-7 and making a 6th seed, so I almost nailed it. 9 wins wouldn't of got us in though, sometimes it does. A lot of people just had uncertainty with Luck's health and Reich's coaching. I was banking on both being great. Lucky guess I guess :thmup:

8 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

If you think Ballard will use an early pick on a WR I think you are going to be very disappointed. Maybe a 4th -6th. Rounder but.... yea youre gonna be disappointed

Being disappointed will be fine. Won't be the end of the world, and I'll still have a blast watching the Colts. One thing I know, is that Ballard will likely surprise some folks with who/what he picks and when. He did draft 2 WRs last year right after sighing a #2 WR. He drafted them late, but drafted 2 nonetheless. And both of them were speed guys... 

And who would have guessed Ballard would take a guard both in the 1st and in the 2nd last year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No doubt we can do better. EE I know is a TE     but he did kind of play the WR role this past season. If we can get funchess to give us 800 to 1k yards we will be that much better. 

I will beyond happy if we get 800+ from DF. That would be a game changer so long as Ebron's targets/productivity doesn't drop.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You were like me, one of the few that thought we would have a winning record. I had 9-7 and making a 6th seed, so I almost nailed it. 9 wins wouldn't of got us in though, sometimes it does. A lot of people just had uncertainty with Luck's health and Reich's coaching. I was banking on both being great. Lucky guess I guess :thmup:

I made a lot of bad assumptions based on hope, but I also bet big on Luck and Reich like you. I was betting big on Doyle too, but Ebron kinda replaced that expected productivity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

2019 Colts home slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Atlanta Falcons

• Carolina Panthers

• Denver Broncos

• Miami Dolphins

• Oakland Raiders

2019 Colts away slate

• Houston Texans

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• Tennessee Titans

• Kansas City Chiefs

• Los Angeles Chargers

• New Orleans Saints

• Pittsburgh Steelers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The home schedule does look good

Tough games

Chiefs

Chargers

Saints

Steelers

11-5 sounds realistic

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I will beyond happy if we get 800+ from DF. That would be a game changer so long as Ebron's targets/productivity doesn't drop.

I think if Funchess comes in and plays well it’s kind of inevitable Ebrons numbers will drop some. They are pretty much the same player.

Poor devin is really taking hate right now. You should go check out his current tweets. He is a great kid. Colts couldn’t of asked for anything better as far as character.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could this be the year we finally beat the Steelers with Luck?

It will still boil down to how well our D improves, to beat the Steelers.

Whenever Peyton beat the Steelers, he won 24-20 in 2008 on the road and 26-7 at home in 2005 (I think), with plenty of contributions from the D. 

You are not going to beat the offensively talented teams like the Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Chargers, Saints etc. by going into a shootout in the 30s, the odds are not good. Our best chances will be to keep them under 30, if possible, and come out with a win, IMO.

I am so looking forward to how well our D improves, more than anything else.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think the Steelers are going to be as bad as what people think. They might be better without all the distractions. I think we could beat the Saints. The chargers had a hard time in that small stadium.

I think the Steelers offense will be just fine

They have a good running back......  They have a good WR

They have a top 5 offensive line

Their defense has dropped HUGE steps.... they cant stop anyone

I HOPE that we get them early.  Thats a tough place to win, in the cold

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if Funchess comes in and plays well it’s kind of inevitable Ebrons numbers will drop some. They are pretty much the same player.

Poor devin is really taking hate right now. You should go check out his current tweets. He is a great kid. Colts couldn’t of asked for anything better as far as character.

Well, if he's gong to play WR2, shouldn't impact EE's numbers. He should be taking over the Grant and committee targets. 

Yup, saw some funny twitter stuff. Pretty brutal. The Ballard meme was funny though.

• Like 1