Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BlueShoe

Deandre Baker makes lot of sense at 26

Recommended Posts

Deandre-Baker-Player-Card.png

 

1. Arizona Cardinals, Kyler Murray
2. San Francisco 49ers, Nick Bosa
3. New York Jets, Josh Allen
4. Oakland Raiders, Quinnen Williams
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Rashan Gary

 

26. Indianapolis Colts, Deandre Baker
 

Duane Lively’s Mock Draft 2.0

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree. Most people won't because of position, but we could use a difference maker outside and Baker's a great scheme fit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Respectfully, I would disagree

 

 

This defense.... the VAST majority of the time, the CB is in zone coverage

 

They must be able to come up, and make a tackle. 

 

 

According to the "experts" Deandre is a man to man CB......... 

We dont play man to man.... very often

 

He is VERY light, and played at 180 ish, most of the season.

 

He would be a fish out of water and a wasted pick

 

Additionally

Ballard doesn't value CBs like he does the lines.....

 

A decent CB, that can play a zone defense can be had in mid rounds

 

I would MUCH rather use pick 26 on a DE, Possibly a UT that can also play DT, SS, or a WR.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully, I would disagree

 

 

This defense.... the VAST majority of the time, the CB is in zone coverage

 

They must be able to come up, and make a tackle. 

 

 

According to the "experts" Deandre is a man to man CB......... 

We dont play man to man.... very often

 

He would be a fish out of water and a wasted pick

 

Additionally

Ballard doesn't value CBs

 

A decent CB, that can play a zone defense can be had in mid rounds

 

 

 

There is so much I disagree with in your post....

 

First of all, Deandre Baker is a perfect fit for a Cover 2 scheme. God does not make a player who fits the profile better. Deandre's best team fits are the Cowboys and the Colts.

 

As far as man, I think you're really confused... He doesn't have the long speed to play man to man all over the field, but he has exceptional man to man traits... Our scheme will provide help over the top to accommodate for his lack of deep speed. 

 

Ballard does value corners. He was part of a Kansas City staff that drafted Marcus Peters. 

 

I don't think it's possible for you to be more wrong... But that is just my opinion. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your drafting a CB that high you expect to start them. At least that is my thinking. We have three starters all ready.  One which we just re signed and another we will soon. Wilson is just now coming into his own and playing great.

 

There was a CB eberflus was seen scouting. But I think he was a later round kind of of guy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

 

There is so much I disagree with in your post....

 

First of all, Deandre Baker is a perfect fit for a Cover 2 scheme. God does not make a player who fits the profile better. Deandre's best team fits are the Cowboys and the Colts.

 

As far as man, I think you're really confused... He doesn't have the long speed to play man to man all over the field, but he has exception man to man traits... Our scheme will provide help over the top to accommodate for his lack of deep speed. 

 

Ballard does value corners. He was part of a Kansas City staff that drafted Marcus Peters. 

 

I don't think it's possible for you to be more wrong... But that is just my opinion. 

Respectfully.......

 

We can definitely agree to disagree

 

I will even put my money where my mouth is

 

I made a bet with another poster on whether the Colts would take a CB

 

I am willing to pay FOUR to ONE that the Colts WONT draft a CB....... with their first pick in the first round

PM me and we can work it out

 

I would be VERY surprised if the Colts drafted a CB, ESPECIALLY when there SHOULD be BPA (Or close) at the SS spot, The DL spot, the WR spot.....heck... even an OL spot

 

Our defense has been running out THREE Safeties at time, and no clear cut SS, We have only ONE proven WR, we have very little pass rush outside of the UT spot and a blitz of CB and LBs, We have ZERO depth at OT, 

 

So yeah.... Id be surprised if we went CB, in round 1

 

I think the MANTRA of "BUILD THE LINES FIRST" is a dead giveaway, and him saying 

"We need pass rush"  may just mean .......EXACTLY WHAT HE SAYS

 

But... we will see

 

Maybe Im right... maybe Im wrong

 

We will see....

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If your drafting a CB that high you expect to start them. At least that is my thinking. We have three starters all ready.  One which we just re signed and another we will soon. Wilson is just now coming into his own and playing great.

 

There was a CB eberflus was seen scouting. But I think he was a later round kind of of guy.

 

We are not as set at corner as you might think.

 

Below are the years we have our corners under contract. 

 

Outside

Pierre Desir (2019, 2020, 2021)
Quincy Wilson (2019, 2020)

 

Inside
Nate Hairston (2019, 2020)
Kenny Moore (2019)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully.......

 

We can definitely agree to disagree

 

I will even put my money where my mouth is

 

I made a bet with another poster on whether the Colts would take a CB

 

I am willing to pay FOUR to ONE that the Colts WONT draft a CB.......

PM me and we can work it out

 

I would be VERY surprised if the Colts drafted a CB, ESPECIALLY when there SHOULD be BPA (Or close) at the SS spot, The DL spot, the WR spot.....heck... even an OL spot

 

I think the MANTRA of "BUILD THE LINES FIRST" is a dead giveaway, and him saying 

"We need pass rush"  may just mean .......EXACTLY WHAT HE SAYS

 

But... we will see

 

I think you are forgetting that Ballard took Malik Hooker with his first ever Colts draft pick. 

 

Building in the trenches is a real thing, and I have written a lot about it on this forum. I expect us to take some trench players with our first 3 or 4 picks... That does not equate us always using our first pick. Ballard is going to take the BPA in the first round, and Baker would certainly fit the profile of a player we could have highly ranked, because he is a PERFECT fit for what we do.

 

We are not going to reach for a pass rusher, and unless we move up then the elite ones will be gone by 26. 

 

Hence, Deandre Baker makes a lot of sense at 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully, I would disagree

 

 

This defense.... the VAST majority of the time, the CB is in zone coverage

 

They must be able to come up, and make a tackle. 

 

 

According to the "experts" Deandre is a man to man CB......... 

We dont play man to man.... very often

 

He is VERY light, and played at 180 ish, most of the season.

 

He would be a fish out of water and a wasted pick

 

Additionally

Ballard doesn't value CBs like he does the lines.....

 

A decent CB, that can play a zone defense can be had in mid rounds

 

I would MUCH rather use pick 26 on a DE, Possibly a UT that can also play DT, SS, or a WR.

 

 

There is so much that  I agree with your post..... well said. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

 

I don't want to take your money. :D

 

I think you are forgetting that Ballard took Malik Hooker with his first ever Colts draft pick. 

 

Building in the trenches is a real thing, and I have written a lot about it on this forum. I expect us to take some trench players with our first 3 or 4 picks... That does not mean we we always use our first pick. Ballard is going to take the BPA in the first round, and Baker would certainly fit the profile of a player we could have highly ranked, because he is a PERFECT fit for what we do.

 

We are not going to reach for a pass rusher, and unless we move up then the elite ones will be gone by 26. 

 

Hence, Deandre Baker makes a lot of sense at 26.

Overview on Deandre......  On NFL.com

 

Pesky press corner who has proven he can thrive against man-to-man challenges in a competitive conference. Baker isn't a burner, but has good play speed and the foot quickness and pattern recognition to stay tight in his coverage. The biggest issue teams might have with Baker is determining whether or not he can give up 30-plus pounds against bigger, outside receivers and still hold up. While there might be some matchup concerns at times, his ball skills, talent and competitive nature should overcome his smaller frame.

 

Actual Quote from Ballard - April 2017

 

“Bigger is better,” he began. “Bigger, longer is better. Bigger, longer, with hands. That’s important. Defensive players that can’t catch the football, I have a hard time with because those are game-changing plays during a game. A dropped interception, that’s a missed opportunity. So corners with hands that can take the ball away is an important skill that we look for. But we want longer, taller guys. I’m not gonna say we won’t ever take a shorter corner, but the shorter corner has to be a unique athlete, a special athlete, to overcome his size.”

 

Deandre came in at 193 lbs and 5'11" at combine  He played at less than that this year

 

He had TWO interceptions.... Total

 

If he plays at 185lbs like the 2018 season for Georgia, does he have the sand in his pants to tackle a 230LB FB?

 

In this defense.... you have to be able to. 

 

He seems to NOT fill the requirements.... especially for THIS defense, especially for the requirements of a COVER 2 CB.

 

 

I actually DO think that we need to bring in a CB, a bigger CB that can be developed to be a starter later....... just not in round 1 or 2

 

 

But again..... Im just an old dude, hacking away on a computer......  

 

Who knows what will happen

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

 

We are not as set at corner as you might think.

 

Below are the years we have our corners under contract. 

 

Outside

Pierre Desir (2019, 2020, 2021)
Quincy Wilson (2019, 2020)

 

Inside
Nate Hairston (2019, 2020)
Kenny Moore (2019)

 

Your missing my point. If a guy at 26 is expected to start who is going to sit. Kenny Moore is going to be extended soon. Your not going to sit Desir or Wilson or Moore.   Yes we can use some depth but you don’t pick a depth guy at 26.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Actual Quote from Ballard - April 2017

 

“Bigger is better,” he began. “Bigger, longer is better. Bigger, longer, with hands. That’s important. Defensive players that can’t catch the football, I have a hard time with because those are game-changing plays during a game. A dropped interception, that’s a missed opportunity. So corners with hands that can take the ball away is an important skill that we look for. But we want longer, taller guys. I’m not gonna say we won’t ever take a shorter corner, but the shorter corner has to be a unique athlete, a special athlete, to overcome his size.”

 

Deandre came in at 193 lbs and 5'11" at combine  He played at less than less than that this year

 

He had TWO interceptions.... Total

 

he seems to NOT fill the requirements

 

Now I understand what you're missing. First of all, you think that 5'11" and 193 is small for a corner... WRONG!

 

Obviously you don't think Deandre Baker is "a unique and special athlete". WRONG AGAIN!

 

You also think that Deandre Baker has issues with his hands. He had 7 interceptions and 23 pass defenses in college. Also he did not give up a single touchdown over the past 2 years. Quarterbacks did not like throwing the ball his way. Just to remind you, he played the big boy conference too. MAMA'S WRONG AGAIN!

 

And overall you're just missing the big picture. Eventually Eberflus wants to be able play more cover 1 and cover 3. You need corners who can press to pull that off. Baker excels in press man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

 

 

You also think that Deandre Baker has issues with his hands. He had 7 interceptions and 23 pass defenses in college. Also he did not give up a single touchdown over the past 2 years. Quarterbacks did not like throwing the ball his way. Just to remind you, he played the big boy conference too. MAMA'S WRONG AGAIN!

 

No.... But a guy named Blueshoe PROBABLY is.....  

 

Like I said..... put your money where your mouth is

 

If I am wrong, which will ONLY BE PROVEN BY WHAT THEY DO, 

I will freely admit it

 

The very (EXTREMELY) small "CB in the first round" crowd, will be sorely disappointed 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your missing my point. If a guy at 26 is expected to start who is going to sit. Kenny Moore is going to be extended soon. Your not going to sit Desir or Wilson or Moore.   Yes we can use some depth but you don’t pick a depth guy at 26.

 

Kenny Moore is a slot corner. He is not playing outside. He might get extended, but right now he is only under contract for 2019.

 

Eventually we want to draft players to replace what we will lose the following year, and not trying to throw rookies into starting roles immediately because of need. That said, Deandre Baker is better than Wilson or Moore and he can play inside or outside.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

 

Kenny Moore is a slot corner. He is not playing outside. He might get extended, but right now he is only under contract for 2019.

 

Eventually we want to draft players to replace what we will lose the following year, and not trying to throw rookies into starting roles immediately because of need. That said, Deandre Baker is better than Wilson or Moore and he can play inside or outside.

You can’t say that about a guy who hasn’t played one snap in the NFL.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

No.... But a guy named Blueshoe PROBABLY is.....  

 

Like I said..... put your money where your mouth is

 

If I am wrong, which will ONLY BE PROVEN BY WHAT THEY DO, 

I will freely admit it

 

The very (EXTREMELY) small "CB in the first round" crowd, will be sorely disappointed 

 

 

 

You're more than welcome to throw a stink because you don't like hearing me speak the truth.

 

Many on this board have learned not to make bets with me. My track record speaks for itself. 

 

That said, I am not saying that we will draft a corner in the first round. I do think we have more of a need at corner than most Colts fans believe. I also think Deandre fits us so well that if he falls then I think he would be on our radar.

 

You on the other hand, are emphatically saying that we will not take a cornerback in the first round.. And you have gone as far to say that we will not take a corner at all in this draft....

 

I have logical laid out reasons why Deandre Baker makes sense at 26, but made no guarantees. However, you are All-In on your guarantees. You can see why I always win these types of bets, right?

 

 

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t say that about a guy who hasn’t played one snap in the NFL.

 

I can. And I did. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/24/indianapolis-colts-senior-bowl-cornerbacks-prospects-2019-nfl-draft/3/

 

This article, shows some excellent prospects that should be available to the Colts in the mid rounds.

 

Players that are 6' to 6' 2" that carry 200Lbs. 

 

Players that are strong tacklers that have Zone experience

 

I believe we need at least ONE CB from this draft....... rounds 3-7 is where I would target

 

It was good chatting with you Blueshoe, I hope you have a great day

 

Lets chat again on draft day...

 

Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Players that are 6' to 6' 2" that carry 200Lbs. 

 

Players that are strong tacklers that have Zone experience

 

First of all, Deandre is a hair away from 6 foot 200 pounds so that argument is completely out the window. 

 

Second, do you know anything about Deandre Baker? He is excellent in zone or man (as long as he doesn't always have deep responsibility) and run support is not an issue for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Blue Shoe is not alone in wanting a corner with our first pick.     We recently had a thread for Williams at LSU.     And we one for the big Penn State with the unusual name,  but that was in a trade down scenario where pick 34 is our first pick.

 

Personally....    I think this is a poor class of corners.    I like a bunch of them,  but I don't LOVE any of them.

 

But there is no corner --- none --- that I want to use our first round pick on.    And, given all that Ballard has said,  including his recent interview that has been transcribed and is up on the front page of Colts, com right now,   given all that,  I don't understand why so many posters are looking for the Colts to take a corner with our first round pick.     It just doesn't add up for me?

 

The earliest I'd take a corner is pick 59,  and I'd be fine at pick 89.    But I think the odds are greater of the Colts using a Day 3 pick on a corner than they are using a first round pick on one. 

 

These corner threads are all head scatchers to me....    all of them...

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

 

You're more than welcome to throw a stink because you don't like hearing me speak the truth.

 

Many on this board have learned not to make bets with me. My track record speaks for itself. 

 

That said, I am not saying that we will draft a corner in the first round. I do think we have more of a need at corner than most Colts believe. I also think Deandre fits us so well that if he falls then I think he would be on our radar.

 

You on the other hand, are emphatically saying that we will not take a cornerback in the first round.. And you have gone as far to say that we will not take a corner at all in this draft....

 

I have logical laid out reasons why Deandre Baker makes sense at 26, but made no guarantees. However, you are All-In on your guarantees. You can see why I always win these types of bets, right?

 

 

 

I can. And I did. :D 

 

 No doubt EB would love a CB that could take away half the field and maybe Baker could do it.
 I think we are all in with Desir, Wilson, Collins, and yes Moore to cover our outside needs for this season. Not that they won't draft another for development.

 I'll bet my reputation (ha ha) no CB till 4th rd or later. Go Colts!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Blue Shoe is not alone in wanting a corner with our first pick.     We recently had a thread for Williams at LSU.     And we one for the big Penn State with the unusual name,  but that was in a trade down scenario where pick 34 is our first pick.

 

I don't think Greedy is a good fit for our defense. Greedy is a man to man corner and he is probably not going to do well against the run. On the other hand, Chuck Pagano would have loved him and he would have been a great fit for what we used to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id be okay with Greedy at 26 if he did it. Assuming he saw a fit. Hes about the only one. Rd 2 or lower is what id expect from anyone else. I dont feel that strong hes going corner in this draft. I thought we needed corner in the last draft and he never touched it. This year he signed everybody back. I think hes going to watch the market and look fot cuts or maybe a trade if he does something with Brissett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It was good chatting with you Blueshoe, I hope you have a great day

 

Lets chat again on draft day...

 

Peace

 

You too.

 

Have a great day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

These corner threads are all head scatchers to me....    all of them...

 

I can't speak for everyone else, but the reason I see corner as a possibility is because of BPA. 

 

I think there is a good chance we could have a couple of corners sitting on the board who might be the best player available at 26. If Baker is there then it could be a similar situation that we had with Hooker. I think it is logically sound to think that Baker could be high on our board, and if he falls then it makes sense. 

 

Unfortunately many people on this board think everything is black and white and when someone says, "hey we might take this specific corner", well their comprehension ability is so elementary that they read, "corner is what we are targeting in the first round". 

 

I had to actually argue with people as to why it made sense to take a center in the first round a few years ago. There was no way we were going to take Ryan Kelly. I was insane to even mention it. No one takes an interior offensive lineman that high. Especially a center. Last year we took a guard at 6.... How did that work out for us? Funny how quiet those people are now, after they talked so much trash. I could write a 5,000 word response about how many times this has happened on this board. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your missing my point. If a guy at 26 is expected to start who is going to sit. Kenny Moore is going to be extended soon. Your not going to sit Desir or Wilson or Moore.   Yes we can use some depth but you don’t pick a depth guy at 26.

 

You're acting like those three are All Pros. Not a single one of them is untouchable. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

 

I can't speak for everyone else, but the reason I see corner as a possibility is because of BPA. 

 

I think there is a good chance we could have a couple of corners sitting on the board who might be the best player available at 26. If Baker is there then it could be a similar situation that we had with Hooker. I think it is logically sound to think that Baker could be high on our board, and if he falls then it makes sense. 

 

Unfortunately many people on this board think everything is black and white and when someone says, "hey we might take this specific corner", well their comprehension ability is so elementary that they read, "corner is what we are targeting in the first round". 

 

I had to actually argue with people as to why it made sense to take a center in the first round a few years ago. There was no way we were going to take Ryan Kelly. I was insane to even mention it. No one takes an interior offensive lineman that high. Especially a center. Last year we took a guard at 6.... How did that work out for us? Funny how quiet those people are now, after they talked so much trash. I could write a 5,000 word response about how many times this has happened on this board. 

 

People here take position into account waaayyy too much. Yes, Ballard values the lines much more than corners. Which means he'll put more TOTAL capital into them. It means that if there's a player of equal quality and scheme fit he'll build the lines. What it doesn't mean is he'll pass a player over that he sees as superior to get a lesser quality lineman. Who knows how he'll value who when our pick comes along. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wig said:

 

You're acting like those three are All Pros. Not a single one of them is untouchable. 

We didn’t just resign Desir to not start him. Kenny Moore might be our second best player on defense and could of made the pro bowl  this year. I suspect he has one in his future.

 

So what your saying every guy  is replaceable unless they are a all pro. That is silly. 

 

Unless the draft is super week a CB in the first round is kind of useless. A safety in this defense is much more important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We didn’t just resign Desir to not start him. Kenny Moore might be our second best player on defense and could of made the pro bowl  this year. I suspect he has one in his future.

 

So what your saying every guy  is replaceable unless they are a all pro. That is silly. 

 

Unless the draft is super week a CB in the first round is kind of useless. A safety in this defense is much more important. 

 

He signed Desir so he wasn't forced to get a corner. 

 

I am saying there isn't much that couldn't use a big upgrade. This defense didn't have a single pro bowler (yes, DL was screwed).  There are exactly three spots I think aren't touchable from a first rounder this year. Leonard, Hooker and Moore in nickel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

 

I can't speak for everyone else, but the reason I see corner as a possibility is because of BPA. 

 

I think there is a good chance we could have a couple of corners sitting on the board who might be the best player available at 26. If Baker is there then it could be a similar situation that we had with Hooker. I think it is logically sound to think that Baker could be high on our board, and if he falls then it makes sense. 

 

Unfortunately many people on this board think everything is black and white and when someone says, "hey we might take this specific corner", well their comprehension ability is so elementary that they read, "corner is what we are targeting in the first round". 

 

I had to actually argue with people as to why it made sense to take a center in the first round a few years ago. There was no way we were going to take Ryan Kelly. I was insane to even mention it. No one takes an interior offensive lineman that high. Especially a center. Last year we took a guard at 6.... How did that work out for us? Funny how quiet those people are now, after they talked so much trash. I could write a 5,000 word response about how many times this has happened on this board. 

 

Admittedly I don't think I was around here during that time...but until Nelson came around...Ryan Kelly was like the least surprising pick this team has had in a long time. I am surprised that there were people who thought there was no chance of that happening...especially with the reports that leaked about them loving Kelly.

 

But the Kelly and Nelson picks are a bit different in that the Colts didn't have an incumbent in their spot...they were both drafted to be Day 1 starters at immediate positions of need. Baker could be that...but he has to beat out a Ballard 2nd round pick and a guy he just extended.

 

Anything's possible I guess. I think the Hooker pick was more relevant to BPA...as it was very surprising that he slipped that far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“CoCorners,,People need to stop preaching this deal about how a 4-3 zone defense doesn’t need elite corners like it’s the gospel. I hear the same narratives over and over again. “good zone corners can be found in the middle rounds, our old 4-3  never had elite corners 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

“CoCorners,,People need to stop preaching this deal about how a 4-3 zone defense doesn’t need elite corners like it’s the gospel. I hear the same narratives over and over again. “good zone corners can be found in the middle rounds, our old 4-3  never had elite corners 

 

Goodness graciouis....   this poster has no idea that he contridicted himself between the first sentence and the last sentence.

 

First,  the concept of non-elite corners comes from Ballard.   It's just the posters who are repeating it over and over to those who continue to want to spend a first round pick on one.

 

And then,  you note in your last sentence that good zone corners can be found in later rounds.   Thanks for proving Ballard's point....   even though that was never your intention.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Goodness graciouis....   this poster has no idea that he contridicted himself between the first sentence and the last sentence.

 

First,  the concept of non-elite corners comes from Ballard.   It's just the posters who are repeating it over and over to those who continue to want to spend a first round pick on one.

 

And then,  you note in your last sentence that good zone corners can be found in later rounds.   Thanks for proving Ballard's point....   even though that was never your intention.

 

 

He's quoting/rephrasing the narrative, he's not contradicting himself. At least that's my reading of it. He doesn't agree with that one... @Defjamz26 is welcome to correct me if I'm misreading him. 

 

There are some quotes from Ballard that suggest this is not his main priority, but there are also quotes from him saying that sometimes you just have to go man-on-man and make the stop on 3d down and that we need to get better at stopping opponents when we switch to man coverage on key downs(because our zone allows a ton of completions in the short to intermediate range, where the line to gain usually is).

 

In general, I wouldn't be shocked either way... I kind of am expecting him to spend a day 2 pick on corner this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's quoting/rephrasing the narrative, he's not contradicting himself. At least that's my reading of it. He doesn't agree with that one... @Defjamz26 is welcome to correct me if I'm misreading him. 

 

There are some quotes from Ballard that suggest this is not his main priority, but there are also quotes from him saying that sometimes you just have to go man-on-man and make the stop on 3d down and that we need to get better at stopping opponents when we switch to man coverage on key downs(because our zone allows a ton of completions in the short to intermediate range, where the line to gain usually is).

 

In general, I wouldn't be shocked either way... I kind of am expecting him to spend a day 2 pick on corner this year. 

 

I think you're reading way too much into Ballard's quote.    As for the OP here,  I don't see how the first sentence and the last sentence are in anyway compatible...    they clash with each other.

 

If I'm wrong,  I'd chalk it up to the OP making a poorly worded argument.   Again.   And again.

It's been a habit here and is among the many reasons why the OP has me on ignore.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I think you're reading way too much into Ballard's quote.    As for the OP here,  I don't see how the first sentence and the last sentence are in anyway compatible...    they clash with each other.

 

If I'm wrong,  I'd chalk it up to the OP making a poorly worded argument.   Again.   And again.

It's been a habit here and is among the many reasons why the OP has me on ignore.......

 

I might be reading too much into it. What do you think is the chance we draft a corner with one of our first 4 picks(day 1 or day 2)? 50% or less? 20%?

 

About Defjams quote... I think it should be reading something like


 

Quote

 

People need to stop preaching this deal about how a 4-3 zone defense doesn’t need elite corners like it’s the gospel. I hear the same narratives over and over again. “good zone corners can be found in the middle rounds, our old 4-3  never had elite corners"


 

 

the bolded part is the gospel he talks about. He doesn't agree with it. Or ... the other version is that I'm misreading him. :D I don't know I will let him speak for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I might be reading too much into it. What do you think is the chance we draft a corner with one of our first 4 picks(day 1 or day 2)? 50% or less? 20%?

 

About Defjams quote... I think it should be reading something like


 

 

the bolded part is the gospel he talks about. He doesn't agree with it. Or ... the other version is that I'm misreading him. :D I don't know I will let him speak for himself.

 

Well....   I'd guess at sub-50 percent....   but I'd guess roughly 25%.    So,  reasonable considering we have four picks in the first two days.

 

I'm guessing 2 DL's of some type...   A WR and likely a Safety, all in the first two days.    But one of the last two could be a corner.    And, if not,  then I'm guessing 4th or 5th round.   I started to take a look at some possible Day 3 candidates on zone corners...   no one jumped off the page to me.   Not yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

 

Admittedly I don't think I was around here during that time...but until Nelson came around...Ryan Kelly was like the least surprising pick this team has had in a long time. I am surprised that there were people who thought there was no chance of that happening...especially with the reports that leaked about them loving Kelly.

 

But the Kelly and Nelson picks are a bit different in that the Colts didn't have an incumbent in their spot...they were both drafted to be Day 1 starters at immediate positions of need. Baker could be that...but he has to beat out a Ballard 2nd round pick and a guy he just extended.

 

Anything's possible I guess. I think the Hooker pick was more relevant to BPA...as it was very surprising that he slipped that far. 

 

There may have been 3 or 4 people on this board who agreed with me when I said that Ryan Kelly made the most sense with our first round pick. 

 

There were dozens with pitch forks and gasoline. Another few dozen were arguing over whether or not to use a lighter or matches to burn me to the ground. There was a March Madness Rock, Paper, Scissors bracket to determine who got to light the fire. 

 

But yeah... Now everyone agrees that the Ryan Kelly pick made sense. This board has a selective memory and very few members understand the definition of, or care to have any integrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I think you're reading way too much into Ballard's quote.    As for the OP here,  I don't see how the first sentence and the last sentence are in anyway compatible...    they clash with each other.

 

If I'm wrong,  I'd chalk it up to the OP making a poorly worded argument.   Again.   And again.

It's been a habit here and is among the many reasons why the OP has me on ignore.......

 

 

HE'S the one reading too much into a quote?  You consistently take quotes that are based around several philosophy and create the most rigid opinion possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stitches said:

He's quoting/rephrasing the narrative, he's not contradicting himself. At least that's my reading of it. He doesn't agree with that one... @Defjamz26 is welcome to correct me if I'm misreading him. 

 

There are some quotes from Ballard that suggest this is not his main priority, but there are also quotes from him saying that sometimes you just have to go man-on-man and make the stop on 3d down and that we need to get better at stopping opponents when we switch to man coverage on key downs(because our zone allows a ton of completions in the short to intermediate range, where the line to gain usually is).

 

In general, I wouldn't be shocked either way... I kind of am expecting him to spend a day 2 pick on corner this year. 

No you’re correct Stitches. I was quoting the narratives that posters on this board usually say. Hence the quotation marks lol. That lack of reading comprehension is part of the reason I have NCF on my ignore list.

 

But to expand upon my original post, I think people are discrediting the importance of elite corners. Ballard hasn’t said he doesn’t think you need elite corners in this defense. And he only has 2 drafts under his belt, so there’s not even a large enough sample size to really gauge where he likes to draft corners. Now he’s stated he does have a size and skill preference for CBs, but nothing more than that.

 

 

 

It’s just there are way too many unwritten rules that people have created about how Ballard drafts. The idea that he doesn’t need elite corners is one. The idea that he’d never draft a WR in the 1st round is another. And I think it’s silly because while Ballard has expressed the type of traits he looks for in players and his overall belief about drafting, he hasn’t yet shown a clear drafting tendency. At least not enough to make claims about where he’ll draft certain positions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

 

But to expand upon my original post, I think people are discrediting the importance of elite corners. Ballard hasn’t said he doesn’t think you need elite corners in this defense. And he only has 2 drafts under his belt, so there’s not even a large enough sample size to really gauge where he likes to draft corners. Now he’s stated he does have a size and skill preference for CBs, but nothing more than that.

 

 

 

It’s just there are way too many unwritten rules that people have created about how Ballard drafts. The idea that he doesn’t need elite corners is one. The idea that he’d never draft a WR in the 1st round is another. And I think it’s silly because while Ballard has expressed the type of traits he looks for in players and his overall belief about drafting, he hasn’t yet shown a clear drafting tendency. At least not enough to make claims about where he’ll draft certain positions.

I agree with most of this. I do think the sample is too small to make any definitive statements about his tendencies, yet. And I do agree that CB is more important than what fans here seem to be giving it credit for.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree with most of this. I do think the sample is too small to make any definitive statements about his tendencies, yet. And I do agree that CB is more important than what fans here seem to be giving it credit for.

 

 

Not only is it too small, we know he drafted Wilson at 46. To definitively 'know' he wouldn't get a guy 20 spots earlier is absurd. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...