Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Round Mock - Colts Select Brian Burns

Turay already has those 15+ plus and can't run defend. And he won't till he hit's 260 or so.
I see Burns skinny calves and would bet he never weights more than 245 if he gets to that. I get being good with a situational pass rusher, just not this guy with our 1st 2 picks. He will be 3rd season before he can really help a good defense.
Put him in on 3rd and 8 and they will run at him for 5 yards or more.

Let's see if he is drafted to develop for a 3-4.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would take him. You can bulk him up later. But he has great pass rushing skills.

Maybe, his frame could already be maxed out. Not everybody can put on mass with a snap of a finger. He's probably been trying to bulk since he got to college and is still skinny.

I would be worried about Burns in a 4-3 scheme. Will he ever be able to convert speed to power? He reminds me of Barkevious Mingo too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Burns has the frame to add weight without slowing him down. He's one of those guys who is rising up the pre-combine mocks. His performance at the combine will likely determine if he's a first round pick or not. But he can really bend; he's super quick,  and he's not a slouch defending against the run. I like the guy; we'll see what Ballard thinks. 

• Like 2

Grigs drafts a large FSU DE with meh athleticism...and tries to make him a 3-4 OLB.

Ballard drafts a smaller FSU DE with potentially elite athleticism...and tries to make him a 4-3 DE.

I like Ballard's chances a lot better. Though I do agree that the size might be an issue in the run game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Maybe, his frame could already be maxed out. Not everybody can put on mass with a snap of a finger. He's probably been trying to bulk since he got to college and is still skinny.

I would be worried about Burns in a 4-3 scheme. Will he ever be able to convert speed to power? He reminds me of Barkevious Mingo too much.

If he has a Combine like Mingo did...I bet he goes before 26.

Burns would definitely be a risk...but I do think he is much better at disengaging from blocks and has much better pass rush moves than Mingo did. He looks like a very good fit in a 3-4 defense.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Burns has the frame to add weight without slowing him down. He's one of those guys who is rising up the pre-combine mocks. His performance at the combine will likely determine if he's a first round pick or not. But he can really bend; he's super quick,  and he's not a slouch defending against the run. I like the guy; we'll see what Ballard thinks. 

Very true except for the part about the frame and slouch part.  :catfight:

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

Burns has the frame to add weight without slowing him down.

The question for me would be, why hasn't he done it then? I'm sure the strength and conditioning staff at FSU is state of the art. Does he not work hard? Does his nutrition suck? Or is he just an ectomorph body type that struggles to put on weight?

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Right. Mingo still weighs 235. Maybe he has Mingoism. 
 Mingo failed in Seattle as a LB'er and pass rusher. 
Burns has considerable game.  Someone will like him as a prospect.

I'd have to look it up but how tall is Mingo? That's slim for 6'5. 6'5 you should be able to sit at 250-270 fairly easy with not much body fat. 

On 2/17/2019 at 1:40 AM, BlueShoe said:

This mock has the Colts selecting Brian Burns at #26.

I haven't watched a whole lot of guys in this draft, but Burns I did watch.  Looks legit to me.

Just needs to add some size and strength.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Do you think he's going first round?  Or could we get him with one of our 2nd rounders?

I think it could go either way. Burns might be there with our first second-round pick, but I doubt he will last much longer than that. 

Just now, krunk said:

Think he'd look good with Turay and Lewis.

I think he is one of those players who can destroy the draft season and climb the boards. He has those physical traits that typically test well. 

He was a 4-star recruit... Obviously based on his physical abilities. He is a heck of a pass rusher... But can he keep that quickness when he adds the necessary weigh? We have seen that go both ways. He does a better job against the run than he gets credit for. He doesn't take any plays off. He checks a lot of the boxes for me. :) 

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think he is one of those players who can destroy the draft season and climb the boards. He has those physical traits that typically test well. 

He was a 4-star recruit... Obviously based on his physical abilities. He is a heck of a pass rusher... But can he keep that quickness when he adds the necessary weigh? We have seen that go both ways. He does a better job against the run than he gets credit for. He doesn't take any plays off. He checks a lot of the boxes for me. :) 

COlts.com has Turay at 250 or so, but when I do google I get weights around 220 which are assume are draft weights.   I'm assuming Burns would need to add about what Turay did.  Actually Burns is showing to be around 236 from what I see currently.  Not sure if right or not. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Burns seems to get a decent amout of TFL. One of the things I liked about Bradley Chubb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Burns seems to get a decent amout of TFL. One of the things I liked about Bradley Chubb.

Yeah. I think it is safe to say that Burns will 3-cone a lot better than Chubb did though. That extra 40 or so pounds will show. :D 

It's very possible for Burns to 3-cone under 7 seconds. He is a natural bender. 

17 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Yeah. I think it is safe to say that Burns will 3-cone a lot better than Chubb did though. That extra 40 or so pounds will show. :D 

It's very possible for Burns to 3-cone under 7 seconds. He is a natural bender. 

What's your take on Cleland Ferrell?

1 minute ago, krunk said:

What's your take on Cleland Ferrell?

I don't think he is as athletic as Nick Bosa or Josh Allen, and his ceiling is not as high, but you know what you're getting with him. I think his best fit is a 4-3 defensive end. He has outstanding technique and he uses his hands very well. He is nearly full-polished and I think he is going in the top 10.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think he is as athletic as Nick Bosa or Josh Allen, and his ceiling is not as high, but you know what you're getting with him. I think his best fit is a 4-3 defensive end. He has outstanding technique and he uses his hands very well. He is nearly full-polished and I think he is going in the top 10.

He's steady like you say.  I haven't took out the time to really watch him, but the couple times I have his game doesn't really excite me.  Not saying he's not a really good player, but there's not a whole lot that makes me say "Whoa!".  I'll set aside some time to watch more.

59 minutes ago, krunk said:

COlts.com has Turay at 250 or so, but when I do google I get weights around 220 which are assume are draft weights.   I'm assuming Burns would need to add about what Turay did.  Actually Burns is showing to be around 236 from what I see currently.  Not sure if right or not. 

Yet if you checked his combine weight it was 252. So he didn't ADD WEIGHT.
 Looking at scrawny legged Burns and based on past players, if he CAN put on weight, he will weigh in at the combine at 240 plus. 
 I really like his skills so i hope he can get 250 or so. Someday. That is Danielle Hunter's size and weight.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yet if you checked his combine weight it was 252. So he didn't ADD WEIGHT.
 Looking at scrawny legged Burns and based on past players, if he CAN put on weight, he will weigh in at the combine at 240 plus. 
 I really like his skills so i hope he can get 250 or so. Someday. That is Danielle Hunter's size and weight.

I like his skills too

44 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

What about Zach Allen?  Seems powerful to me but I kind of get this Bjoern Werner fear that's probably unwarranted but never the less it happens.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

What about Zach Allen?  Seems powerful to me but I kind of get this Bjoern Werner fear that's probably unwarranted but never the less it happens.

I agree with your fears. I liked him at first, but I’ve changed my mind on him. He has production, but I don’t think he is a full time starter in the NFL. He is not very athletic and he can’t bend. 

Once he gets his hands on you then it’s over, but I am not sure if he has the wheels to catch these new-age NFL quarterbacks from the outside. He might need to move inside, but how well can he defend the run inside?

I’m not taking a guy high in the draft, who I need to experiment with. 

On 2/21/2019 at 2:25 PM, krunk said:

Those other lower weights were likely from the previous year.

His 252 was likely his combine weight.      Websites are often slow to updates weights,  and many of them don't update weights until the following year.    The team weighs a player,  and doesn't weigh them again (for media use) for 12 months.

I'd stick with the combine weight and the weight that the Colts use... 252.    He's clearly not 220.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, BlueShoe said:

I watched a Voch Lombardi breakdown of Ferell today. Think he could be pretty good with improvements to his pass rush plan. Has great get off.

• Like 1