Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade back temptation

We finished the season strong. Some of us may look at this as a disadvantage in the draft but every year someone always trade back into the 1st round. Could we be sellers? Is there a package you can think of that would make you think about moving back into a lower spot into the 1st or early 2nd round pick? If we knock free agency out the park would moving up to get a elite player or moving down to gain more players (development projects and lower contracts) makes more sense for us.

Here are a few scenarios of some trade back that may help us knock out 2 birds with one stone.

Trade 1

Arizona trades us

Robert Nkemdiche DT

Ricky Seal Jones TE

Pick 33

For

Colts

Pick 26

This trade gives Arizona a crack at owning the draft. A trade down plus this trade could net them 2 first round talent and more to jump start the rebuild. Colts get a very talented DT who may need a change of scenery and scheme. Seal-Jones showed the year before he has the potential to become a top 15-20 TE. Last year he couldn't get in sync with the new QB. Giving these two players would net them a higher pick then they could reclaim from a compensary pick.

Trade 2

Rams

Robert Woods WR

Pick 31

For

Colts 

Pick 26

6th round pick

The Rams went all in for the Superbowl this year. Their team will look very different next year and they are poised for a Jaguars like fall. Moving up while gaining some cap relief could be very attractive for them. Cooks and Kupp should make a dynamic duo. Woods would give us that strong hand chain mover on a relatively cheap 3 year contract.

Trade 3

Raiders

Gareon Conley

Jordy Nelson

2nd round pick 

5th round pick 

For

Colts 

Pick 26

Compensary 4th round pick

The Raiders clearly doesn't have to much confidence in Conley. We may need to bring in a replacement if we can't resign Desir and a cheap rookie contract gives us room for creativity in FA. Jordy Nelson (3 million) would be us kicking the can down the road and rooting for Cain and/or another rookie to step up next year. Nelson provides a threat as a no.2 and bring alot of experience to the wr corp.

Trade 4

49ers

DeForest Buckner 

2nd round 

5th round pick 

For

Colts 

Pick 26

3rd round pick

DeForest Buckner had 12 sacks this past year. At 6'7 300lbs he has the frame to play inside or out and immediately starts on the other side of Sheard. As a 24 year old he would be our future able to lock down one of the DE positions for the next 10 years. We pay heavily with 2 picks but at pick 26 is there talent like he provides. The 49ers save on the money(Forest next contract) and make a move for AB or jump back in the 1st round to make a splash. (Maybe they end up with Bosa and AB)

Most of these trades are about 7 to 10 spots down. With us owning the Jets pick and players that will fall or that we may love but may seem like a reach in the first (Charles Omenihu, Kelvin Harmon and Jaylon Ferguson to name a few) trading down maybe a option we shouldn't just dismiss.

A very practical trade back would be to swap our #34 pick with the Eagles picks #53 and #57, thus giving us three second rounders at #53, #57 and #58. Eagles are typically trade trigger happy and will move up if a player they really want is still out there at #34, IMO. I would be very much fine with that trade. 

Another trade possibility is if the Redskins do not want to reach for a QB at No. 15, draft someone else and want to move back into Round 1 for a QB like Daniel Jones or even Kyler Murray, if they are available at No.26 and offer a future 1st, plus current 2nd and 3rd for the same.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A very practical trade back would be to swap our #34 pick with the Eagles picks #53 and #57, thus giving us three second rounders at #53, #57 and #58. Eagles are typically trade trigger happy and will move up if a player they really want is still out there at #34, IMO. I would be very much fine with that trade. 

Another trade possibility is if the Redskins do not want to reach for a QB at No. 15, draft someone else and want to move back into Round 1 for a QB like Daniel Jones or even Kyler Murray, if they are available at No.26 and offer a future 1st, plus current 2nd and 3rd for the same.

Wouldn’t be opposed to that. Honestly, the draft class as a whole isn’t that impressive. There’s maybe 10 true blue chip players, and the fall off in talent level is pretty big. It’s starting to remind me of the 2013 draft. There’s a couple players who if they’re there at 26 or 34 I’d like to see drafted, but after that it’s a toss up. You’re not going to miss much in terms of player quality by trading from early in the 2nd to late.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

DON'T forget about the Jet pick.... thats 4 picks in the 2nd. A nice idea thanks 4 breaking out the trade chart who do you have in mind with those 4 second rounders?

7 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Sign me up for trade scenario #2 

Yup I think the 9ers with Solomon and Armstead have alot of options rather thats drafting Bosa or Allen with the 1st pick and later in the 3rd a player like Zach Allen from Boston College really make the blow of lossing DeForest a lot more manageable. Especially if our pick lands them a AB.

If the Steelers use the transition tag on Bell our 3rd round pick should be able to grab him as well. 

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think the talent level we can get at pick #34 is too much to trade out of.

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I think the talent level we can get at pick #34 is too much to trade out of.

It will obviously depend on who is there, like I alluded to, on both the Eagles and Colts' sides. If, say, the Eagles and Colts approximately grade out 20 players as sure fire first rounders and none of them drop to #34, then I'd say do the trade to get the 2 latter #53 and #57 from the Eagles for #34. 

Plus, a man CB the Eagles may covet may not be as valuable to the Colts system either. That can change team's boards too once they are past those sure fire 1st rounders, IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

It will obviously depend on who is there, like I alluded to, on both the Eagles and Colts' sides. If, say, the Eagles and Colts approximately grade out 20 players as sure fire first rounders and none of them drop to #34, then I'd say do the trade to get the 2 latter #53 and #57 from the Eagles for #34. 

Plus, a man CB the Eagles may covet may not be as valuable to the Colts system either. That can change team's boards too once they are past those sure fire 1st rounders, IMO.

Darius Leonard (and even Braden Smith) >>>>>> Turay and Lewis

That early 2nd round pick is gold. Just look at the players who have been picked there recently. I would hate to trade away that chance.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Darius Leonard (and even Braden Smith) >>>>>> Turay and Lewis

That early 2nd round pick is gold. Just look at the players who have been picked there recently. I would hate to trade away that chance.

We have one year of data. Let’s hope Ballard strikes gold again. 

Belichick has started the trend of trading picks for the players that fit their scheme.  I'm sure Ballard and company will have a short list of guys they'd be willing to entertain pick trades for when the time comes.  Yes, I'd love Robert Woods but so do the Rams.  No way they'd ever trade him without getting over on us.

I think the best value for a trade down would be pick #34.  There are always players that slip out of the first that teams will be scheming to get between day 1 and day 2 of the draft.  That's where we could generally make the biggest killing in terms of draft pick trade value.  

It's amazing to think of how well we made out on the Jets trade... and how well the Jets were able to make out as well in getting a surefire franchise QB who won't crumble under the NY pressure.  Both teams won that trade.  

• Thanks 1