Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stats suggest Steelers better with Conner not Bell

Nesjan3

Steelers are averaging 29 points per game, 418 yards per game, 6 yards per play, 43% 3rd down conversion, 75% red zone points. The ravens DC came out and stated this and the article is on NFL.com. Not sure what the Steelers stats were like with Bell but the focus of the article is the fact that they have improved in all areas with Conner.....while Bell recently was seen on a jet ski in South Florida. Looks like his time with the Steelers has come to an end.

This has Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe and LT so brain scrambled on the Sunday night show they do together that they can't stand it. The host has acknowledged this every week and they just deflect it towards the system screwing a potential GOAT out of money he deserves playing a dangerous game. Last week the host finally said I know but can you name another player this happened to under these circumstances? And they % themselves.

Also I don't know how much this is worth but the busy forums have buzzed with this observation of Connor all season. Granted they're full of armchair coaches but it seems to be a thing for real.

16 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

This has Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe and LT so brain scrambled on the Sunday night show they do together that they can't stand it. The host has acknowledged this every week and they just deflect it towards the system screwing a potential GOAT out of money he deserves playing a dangerous game. Last week the host finally said I know but can you name another player this happened to under these circumstances? And they % themselves.

Also I don't know how much this is worth but the busy forums have buzzed with this observation of Connor all season. Granted they're full of armchair coaches but it seems to be a thing for real.

I know there are a few in this forum who have stated they wanted the Colts to trade for Bell.

I said I would be more interested if the Colts looked into trading for Connor.

With that said I think we are fine at RB position at this time and don't need to trade for any RB. Ballard can always draft a RB if he feels the need.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Bell is massively overrated.  I said this before.  Under the Steelers system no matter who they play at RB puts up big numbers.

Watch out I've been saying this for about a year and have been dragged through the woodwork multiple times on this site lol... 

21 hours ago, JimJaime said:

I see Bell sitting out the season and the Steelers will not Franchise him again.  He then signs with another team for a lot less than what they offered him last year. Sucks being a running back in the passing NFL

Whether he sits out, or shows just in time, the Steelers would be smart to transition (not franchise) tag him next year.

Remember, Bell is currently not under contract. He is not part of any NFL team this year (so far).  And I've been saying this for a long time.  I feel the Steelers will place the transition tag on him next year. He could then sign a transition offer sheet, which would pay him either the average of the top-10 paid players at his position, or 120 percent of his previous year’s salary. Because Bell has not been playing yet this season, the Steelers could argue that his 2018 salary was only how many games he ends up playing (5,133,176.25 for the last 6 games plus what he gets on a roster exemption getting into football shape).

Then Bell will test the market for a contract.  Once (if) another team(s) makes an offer, then the Steelers have the right to match it and retain him.  From there, they can keep him on their roster, or put him up for trade.  If they do not match, nor tag him next year, or rescind the tag this year, they get nothing. I don't see them doing that.  I just don't.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Whether he sits out, or shows just in time, the Steelers would be smart to transition (not franchise) tag him next year.

Remember, Bell is currently not under contract. He is not part of any NFL team this year (so far).  And I've been saying this for a long time.  I feel the Steelers will place the transition tag on him next year. He could then sign a transition offer sheet, which would pay him either the average of the top-10 paid players at his position, or 120 percent of his previous year’s salary. Because Bell has not been playing yet this season, the Steelers could argue that his 2018 salary was only how many games he ends up playing (5,133,176.25 for the last 6 games plus what he gets on a roster exemption getting into football shape).

Then Bell will test the market for a contract.  Once (if) another team(s) makes an offer, then the Steelers have the right to match it and retain him.  From there, they can keep him on their roster, or put him up for trade.  If they do not match, nor tag him next year, or rescind the tag this year, they get nothing. I don't see them doing that.  I just don't.

The Steelers are a weird organization. Built for sustained runs (been pretty consistent since the 1970’s) but right now the inmates run the place and Conner proving be just as good.. Franchising him or transitioning tagging him just make it a circus again.  (Mind you I wouldn’t be shocked see him leave and sign with the Ravens just to well stick it to the Steelers)

1 hour ago, JimJaime said:

Mind you I wouldn’t be shocked see him leave and sign with the Ravens just to well stick it to the Steelers

But he can't 'just leave'.  Not unless the Steelers let him, and I don't think they will. If he never plays this year, he forfeits an accrued season. Thus the Steelers can either Franchise tag him again (at the same price as this year) or (what I think they'll do) transition tag him, and let the market set the price tag.  If it is acceptable, they match, Bell HAS to sign with Steelers. Then Steelers can proceed to 'run him into the ground', or trade him to the highest bidder.  If he shows up, signs his tender, and gets his accrued season this year, the Franchise tag next year is prohibitively expensive.  But the Transition tag is the same as mentioned above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But he can't 'just leave'.  Not unless the Steelers let him, and I don't think they will. If he never plays this year, he forfeits an accrued season. Thus the Steelers can either Franchise tag him again (at the same price as this year) or (what I think they'll do) transition tag him, and let the market set the price tag.  If it is acceptable, they match, Bell HAS to sign with Steelers. Then Steelers can proceed to 'run him into the ground', or trade him to the highest bidder.  If he shows up, signs his tender, and gets his accrued season this year, the Franchise tag next year is prohibitively expensive.  But the Transition tag is the same as mentioned above.

OR he signs shows up and has a “nagging” injury all year and he barely plays.  IMO be stupid of the Steelers tag him in any way.. you pretty much poisoned the apple might as well let it go now. 

2 hours ago, JimJaime said:

OR he signs shows up and has a “nagging” injury all year and he barely plays.  

No need to fake a new injury. He'll barely play any way.  In essence, he is going to be Connor's backup. Not kidding.

2 hours ago, JimJaime said:

IMO be stupid of the Steelers tag him in any way.. you pretty much poisoned the apple might as well let it go now. 

Not without compensation.  If they can get better than 3  for 2020, they'll do it... somehow.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:38 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Yeah, there really isn't precedent for this.  Emmitt Smith held out in the 90s and his resolution was the exact opposite.  His backup was nowhere near as good, they lost the first 2 games and Jerry Jones caved in and paid whatever Emmitt wanted.  He cam back and they won the rest of their games with only 2 more losses.  Had that happened to Bell, he'd at least have a free agent market, but as far as I'm concerned, the Steelers are fine without him and the chances of Bell getting a contract close to the one reportedly offered by the Steelers is severely compromised. 

Bell's holdout until the season started was justified.  Stay healthy as long as you can.  But at what point does your concern for your health start to cut into your profits?  Bell heldout and it's a players only real weapon against the team.  But whatever advice he got has obviously backfired to the point he'd be justified firing his agent.  They gambled and lost big time.

• Like 1

Steelers first team to score 50 this season....without Bell, now he is reported to be checking in next week and Conner is in concussion protocal. That could be the most dangerous 1-2 punch in the NFL just in time for the Steelers to make a SB run. I still don't believe he will be a Steeler next season though.

My question is do his teammates and coaches still respect him enough to embrace him for the 2nd half.

11 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Steelers first team to score 50 this season....without Bell, now he is reported to be checking in next week and Conner is in concussion protocal. That could be the most dangerous 1-2 punch in the NFL just in time for the Steelers to make a SB run. I still don't believe he will be a Steeler next season though.

My question is do his teammates and coaches still respect him enough to embrace him for the 2nd half.

No, but he will still be welcomed to help 'win' ... at least for the remainder of this year.

Bells's issue... he lied to his team.  he said he would 'show up ____________, and never did.

If he shows up they will play him.  And they will play him a lot.  He's already given up a lot of money and if he's smart he won't report and risk injury.  That's what his holdout is all about.  He will get paid what he wants next year with his new team.  There is no question that some team will pay him a huge contract.   It's the NFL.  And if Mack gets injured again and misses more games I can see Ballard going after him.  Won't cost him any draft picks just money.  If Mack can finish the season strong with no more injuries he might stay away from Bell.  But that's a big if for Mack.  We shall see.  Bell will make up the lost money with his new contract and he saved his new team a year of wear and tear on his body.   He and his new team will be big winners when this is all over.

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If he shows up they will play him.  And they will play him a lot.  He's already given up a lot of money and if he's smart he won't report and risk injury.  That's what his holdout is all about.  He will get paid what he wants next year with his new team.  There is no question that some team will pay him a huge contract.   It's the NFL.  And if Mack gets injured again and misses more games I can see Ballard going after him.  Won't cost him any draft picks just money.  If Mack can finish the season strong with no more injuries he might stay away from Bell.  But that's a big if for Mack.  We shall see.  Bell will make up the lost money with his new contract and he saved his new team a year of wear and tear on his body.   He and his new team will be big winners when this is all over.

He will never make up 14 million lost this year.   

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You do know if he doesn't show up he won't be an Unrestricted FA?

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The Steelers won't tag him again I don't think.    The tag price would be 120 percent higher than last year's tag

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Correct.  They won't tag him again.  He will be a FA.  They will be happy with the compensatory pick and move on. 

True, there's no way they Franchise tag him again. I feel that would be a 3rd tag and cost QB money... 25 million.  That won't be done. OTOH, I think there is still a chance they may  place the Transition Tag on him next year. I've been saying this for a long time now. They have nothing to lose doing so and I think the tender will be either be the average of the top 10 at his RB position, or his 2018 salary if he shows, which it appears he may well not. 

Then teams bid on him in the open market just like any other UFA, and when a contract is tendered, the Steelers could match it. Should they do so, Bell would have to sign it.  Then Steelers could trade him, and get something for him rather than just let him walk.

Since Connor is doing well, it remains to be seen if they just let him go for 2019.  But they won't rescind the tag until this year ends and the season has played out.  And the Transition tag is still in play for 2019.