Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Back by Committee?

TKnight24

I have no confidence in our run game until it's proven otherwise. Over the years i have seen a lot of talk on here about not taking running backs in the first or early rounds....all the teams in the league who took a running back in the first round since 06 have had some kind of success running the ball including us with Addai. Some teams landed All stars like Gurley and Elliot. (exception: TRick)

And here we sit, we have not drafted our own RB higher than the 4th round since 2009 and we have not seen any sign of a run game in about that long as well.  Its been almost 10 years of trying to find a run game with the late round draft picks and crappy FA.

Imagine if Luck had a Gurley or an Elliot with him every play...you never find those guys in the late rounds, or at least we havn't been able to. I think we need to get a playmaker on offense next draft with a HIGH pick no matter what.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if they line Hines up wide and use another back, in the backfield here and there.

The Oline is a question mark: maybe with Castonzo, Nelson, Kelly, Smith and Clark, they’ll get the run game going. (Unless they keep Smith at RT and use Boehm at RG or another combination). Like I said, the Oline is a question mark.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Costanzo should help the run game.  But let's face it.  We have no running backs that any NFL team has to worry about or game plan for.  And our supposed best is injury prone.  Not good. 

I don’t count AC to do much good today. When is the last time he has had reps against another team? We don’t know where Kelly is, don’t know who will be at RG or RT for certain although it points to Smith and Clark respectively. Team just can build a running game when you don’t have your #1 wr, your oline keeps shuffling back ups for starters and your starting (projected) rb hasn’t been in much yet. It’s seasons like this that cause a loss of interest in the game because the league is stuck at this 53 players and only allow 47 to be named yet all teams keep losing guys to injuries and bodies. It’s almost whoever has the best players left at the end get the win. Blah 

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I have no confidence in our run game until it's proven otherwise. Over the years i have seen a lot of talk on here about not taking running backs in the first or early rounds....all the teams in the league who took a running back in the first round since 06 have had some kind of success running the ball including us with Addai. Some teams landed All stars like Gurley and Elliot. (exception: TRick)

And here we sit, we have not drafted our own RB higher than the 4th round since 2009 and we have not seen any sign of a run game in about that long as well.  Its been almost 10 years of trying to find a run game with the late round draft picks and crappy FA.

Imagine if Luck had a Gurley or an Elliot with him every play...you never find those guys in the late rounds, or at least we havn't been able to. I think we need to get a playmaker on offense next draft with a HIGH pick no matter what.

We need to control the lines first and foremost before we draft a 230lb RB to run headlong into 300lb linemen.

Controlling the trenches wins championships but we do need an upgrade at the RB position.