Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck post game interview

Tombstone

He said something very interesting around the 4 min mark of that interview. When that were in the red zone that last drive he said the defense had no regard for the RUN.  This has been a big stable of there problems down there.  And then on fourth down they come out in a run looking formation which did not fool the eagles at all.  The Colts need to be some what balance in this regard and the good thing is that they have been competitive in all three games to be some what balanced.  And then Franks interview he was almost sounding well that for another day.  

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

We need Turbin and Mack back. Wilkins by himself doesn't scare anybody. Wilkins is an ok back but he's kind of slow.  And then Hines they need to run him more to the outside. Stretch and toss plays.

I would like to see a few toss plays to the RB myself. That was an effective play

by the Eagles all game long.

Luck's declining performance over the past 3 games shouldn't be unexpected. If he is going to come back, it will take some time - maybe all season. Reich seems to be tailoring the gameplan constraining Luck to a balanced rehab plan. The fans won't like it, but if it works it is smart football. As far as the rest of the team, they are talented, but very young and inexperienced. Yes, there are some parts missing, but not as many as some of the fans think. Be patient, but not too patient (hopefully, the FO learned the lesson of keeping Pagano and Grigson far too long).

I realize the new offense is going to have a few bugs that need worked out. Once they do, I think we'll see improvement. 

That said, 

Please stop running the play where Luck throws a lateral pass to a RB and it goes for literally no gain. Just rip that play out of the book. 

When are the Colts going to use the swing pass to an RB? Hines is good in space, not between the tackles. Play to his strengths! 

You would think this team would devote a whole practice to running a screen as well. They can't execute it, or defend it. 

Play action, and no huddle please!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tombstone said:

He said something very interesting around the 4 min mark of that interview. When that were in the red zone that last drive he said the defense had no regard for the RUN.  This has been a big stable of there problems down there.  And then on fourth down they come out in a run looking formation which did not fool the eagles at all.  The Colts need to be some what balance in this regard and the good thing is that they have been competitive in all three games to be some what balanced.  And then Franks interview he was almost sounding well that for another day.  

Did he say why he didn't audible to runs?

Did you all not see the play on 4th and 3.  They ran past Clark like we did not have a LT.  We do not throw down the field because of Luck.  We Do not throw down field because we cannot pass block with our current left tackle situation.  We are forced personnel into a short passing game. If we attempted longer passing then luck would have to hold the ball.   This would result in a high number of sacks And everyone coming on the board and saying how come Luck holds the ball too long. A good coach can only manage the game with the pieces he is given. The truth is that the Colts didn’t excellent job yesterday against a really good defense and keep the game close and winnable.  They should be praised instead of being attacked. 

• Thanks 6

6 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Did you all not see the play on 4th and 3.  They ran past Clark like we did not have a LT.  We do not throw down the field because of Luck.  We Do not throw down field because we cannot pass block with our current left tackle situation.  We are forced personnel into a short passing game. If we attempted longer passing then luck would have to hold the ball.   This would result in a high number of sacks And everyone coming on the board and saying how come Luck holds the ball too long. A good coach can only manage the game with the pieces he is given. The truth is that the Colts didn’t excellent job yesterday against a really good defense and keep the game close and winnable.  They should be praised instead of being attacked. 

I don't think they should be praised but the sky is definitely not falling and it's not time to change everything from the play calling to the WRs to Luck's mentality.  They had no regard for the run because they were confident their front 4 could stop it.  Philly is just about always confident their front 4 can stop the running game.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think they should be praised but the sky is definitely not falling and it's not time to change everything from the play calling to the WRs to Luck's mentality.  They had no regard for the run because they were confident their front 4 could stop it.  Philly is just about always confident their front 4 can stop the running game.

Good point, but there is still no question that the Colts need to run the ball more. They barely gave it a chance yesterday. I know the West Coast offense is partially built around short passes taking the place of some of the run game, but the master himself, Bill Walsh, knew he had to establish the run or it wouldn't work. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

Good point, but there is still no question that the Colts need to run the ball more. They barely gave it a chance yesterday. I know the West Coast offense is partially built around short passes taking the place of some of the run game, but the master himself, Bill Walsh, knew he had to establish the run or it wouldn't work. 

1.  It's a different league now when Walsh coached.  Establishing a running game is not needed anymore in the NFL.  It's a passing league and everything is being established to give the edge to the teams passing the ball a lot.  I think that is changing in the NFL, but the Colts don't have the personnel yet to work on more of that.

2.  I don't necessarily agree the Colts need to run the ball more, but they do need to run the ball more effectively.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1.  It's a different league now when Walsh coached.  Establishing a running game is not needed anymore in the NFL.  It's a passing league and everything is being established to give the edge to the teams passing the ball a lot.  I think that is changing in the NFL, but the Colts don't have the personnel yet to work on more of that.

2.  I don't necessarily agree the Colts need to run the ball more, but they do need to run the ball more effectively.

It reminds me of how well the play action worked with Peyton and Edge. It started with a line that could sell the run or pass in the first second post snap. Hell, we can't get the same line on the field at the same time. Next it took a WR/TE/RB core that could sell it as well....and block for it. 

The success of a type of play/called is far more dependent upon your teams AND the opposition teams tendencies, than it is upon just having a coordinator call a play. Our team's tendencies can both keep teams honest, or have them licking their chops. And visa versa...

I am impressed that this staff, with the injuries, experience of the players, and rust on our QB...  have already done a fairly good job of not exposing negative tendencies for our team. It was one of the most glaring failures of the last staff, imo. 

• Thanks 1

I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the game this week. Were there any plays where Luck had Wilkins and Hines to the right and left of him and they both ran simultaneous screens on opposite sides of him? Can't remember what this play is called, but that would stretch the field where Luck could use the RBs as weapons on both sides of him rather than focus on one.

Better question is, were Wilkins and Hines ever on the field at the same time period?

New England Patriots are the stable of this league with the short passing game but, they also run the ball efficiently also....  They can run it on third and 3 or less sometimes.  That would be a passing down for the Colts.  I live week to week watching a non moble QB in Eli Maning and that O line.  Enough said on that.... BUT they do take there shot down field and they are trying to run the ball. The difference in the two QB's is that Eli is not going to let take a hard shot on him.  He will just take the sack or try to get the ball out and throw a pick 6 lol....

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think this is something of a Strawman....  

We're not talking about establishing a running game.     The question is why we didn't run at all inside the red zone?

As for the "different league"....    I'd say the pendulum is swinging back.    And I think NFL teams are signaling that.    Just in the last few drafts...    Barkley, Fournette,  Elliott,  McCaffrey and Gurley.   Have I forgotten one?     They're all top-10 picks.    If this is such a passing league,  then multiple teams are bucking the trend here.   And there are other RB's taken later in the first round as well as the 2nd and 3rd.    RB's still have a place in the game and value in an offense.

Clearly,  I agree with you that the Colts need to run much more effectively.    We did in most of the first half of the game vs. Washington.

• Like 2