Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Falcons lost the game today because they were scared to tackle Drew Brees

BloodyChamp

It's OT...not over yet but not looking good. Just the same what a joke that play was for nobody's fault but these rules. They held off of tackling Brees as if he were going to slide and understandably so because Clay Matthews was just flagged for the cleanest hit yet. Just before that was the Hill play. Did they pull off from hitting him thinking he was the quarterback lol?

I've watched it over and over and I can't believe it but that looks to me like what happened. Rodney Harrison agreed but it seems to have flew under the radar I admit. I don't see how especially after what happened to the Falcons for the Cam Newton hit regardless of other calls across the league.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

That doesn't exactly make it fair lol!

Also a flag came in late. Theoretically that wouldn't have happened had the sack happened because it would have been over that much sooner. But it's almost that flag was some sort of backup plan once the play was over.

Not saying it's fair, just saying there is a serious problem with officiating.

The guy stopped going after Brady because of the pump fake. He never picked up his head to see that Brady still had the ball. Poor awareness on his part but if he thought the ball was gone like he said, it would have definitely been a late hit. 

It's part of the game now. Players just need to adapt. It's not just rookies. I'm sure the coaches have stats on what is the correct/best way to play is - the odd 'roughing' call' vs 'decisive plays'. Whatever their stance is, they need to coach up their players and stand by their approach.....

There are probably dozens of plays each game that are decisive in deciding close games, just focusing on one to promote distain about a particular rule is a bit unfair.

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

It's part of the game now. Players just need to adapt. It's not just rookies. I'm sure the coaches have stats on what is the correct/best way to play is - the odd 'roughing' call' vs 'decisive plays'. Whatever their stance is, they need to coach up their players and stand by their approach.....

There are probably dozens of plays each game that are decisive in deciding close games, just focusing on one to promote distain about a particular rule is a bit unfair.

There has never been a play like that in the history of football. People tend to focus on plays like that. The adapt angle is a bit of a copout. To adapt you become faster, stronger or smarter. They adapted to the Mel Blount Rule. Asking players to adapt to these non rulebook judgement call rules is basically asking them to play slower, weaker and sillier. What? 

10 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I remember so many epic Mike Singletary and Bruce Smith plays where they always made sure the quarterback was pump faking before they followed through on a hit :atroll:

It was a different game back then, don't know what to tell you. I'm in my mid-40s so I certainly remember those guys and even ones from further back. 

By the way, the flag came out less than two seconds after Brady squirmed away. If he'd been sacked I'm almost certain that they would have called KC for holding anyway. 

42 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

There has never been a play like that in the history of football. People tend to focus on plays like that. The adapt angle is a bit of a copout. To adapt you become faster, stronger or smarter. They adapted to the Mel Blount Rule. Asking players to adapt to these non rulebook judgement call rules is basically asking them to play slower, weaker and sillier. What? 

Nonsense. I recall many plays where the tackler plays soft, and it didn't end well. Cey about a rule won't help, so no choice to adapt. Or play the old way and take your chances.

Jack Youngblood was soft on Archie Manning, but he still made the tackle first. And if the game was close you could have forgot that. Game's on the line and 2 35+ year old quarterbacks have waltzed into the endzone on the eggshells defenses were just trying to stand on. And we all know about New England and flags. Besides they'd held them to a FG down there once already.

16 hours ago, GoPats said:

It was a different game back then, don't know what to tell you. I'm in my mid-40s so I certainly remember those guys and even ones from further back. 

By the way, the flag came out less than two seconds after Brady squirmed away. If he'd been sacked I'm almost certain that they would have called KC for holding anyway. 

The only reason Brady was able to "squirm away" was because the defender was afraid of getting called for roughing the passer.  Last season that would have been a sack.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:03 AM, esmort said:

The only reason Brady was able to "squirm away" was because the defender was afraid of getting called for roughing the passer.  Last season that would have been a sack.

“I thought the ball was gone … and I ain’t taking him to the ground.”

Speaks’ words there, not mine. 

I would imagine defensive linemen are pretty conditioned to pulling up once they think the ball is gone. The penalty thing is a secondary issue here. It’s really only a big deal big of disdain for Brady and, to a lesser extent, Brees. Indy has had to suffer through a lot of games without Andrew Luck, and while I understand the football purist and historical point of view, it’s a different game now. Don’t you want him (Luck) to get a little extra protection? The game has changed, you can either try to adapt and enjoy it or you can sit around like a crotchety old man on a porch swing, complaining about everything. 

9 hours ago, GoPats said:

“I thought the ball was gone … and I ain’t taking him to the ground.”

Speaks’ words there, not mine. 

I would imagine defensive linemen are pretty conditioned to pulling up once they think the ball is gone. The penalty thing is a secondary issue here. It’s really only a big deal big of disdain for Brady and, to a lesser extent, Brees. Indy has had to suffer through a lot of games without Andrew Luck, and while I understand the football purist and historical point of view, it’s a different game now. Don’t you want him (Luck) to get a little extra protection? The game has changed, you can either try to adapt and enjoy it or you can sit around like a crotchety old man on a porch swing, complaining about everything. 

None of that disputes what esmort said...keep trying 

On 10/20/2018 at 6:57 PM, BloodyChamp said:

None of that disputes what esmort said...keep trying 

Keep trying... to do what, exactly? 

The guy said himself, "I thought the ball was gone." 

That doesn't play into your narrative but it's what he said. 

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

Keep trying... to do what, exactly? 

The guy said himself, "I thought the ball was gone." 

That doesn't play into your narrative but it's what he said. 

I think you know what, exactly.

What the guy said doesn't dispute what esmort said.

A hit that would have been a sack last year but not this year isn't a narrative. It's literally what happened on that play.

15 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I think you know what, exactly.

What the guy said doesn't dispute what esmort said.

A hit that would have been a sack last year but not this year isn't a narrative. It's literally what happened on that play.

So if it was 2017, and Speaks thought Brady released the football, he would have tackled him anyway? 

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Favre's 2nd place ribbon to a guy who can't throw more than 10 yards.

This 1 is a stretch but you'll enjoy it. The last 3 plays where Tom Brady was asked to make a play more physical than throwing a checkdown or barely more (honestly he can still throw pretty far withput the fire on it similar to Peyton towards the end) went like this:

Drop

Rushing TD because the guy was scared to grab him to hard

Catch and downed by the turf monster

2 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

This 1 is a stretch but you'll enjoy it. The last 3 plays where Tom Brady was asked to make a play more physical than throwing a checkdown or barely more (honestly he can still throw pretty far withput the fire on it similar to Peyton towards the end) went like this:

Drop

Favre is in the Top 10 QB's of all-time automatically. He loved contact and played like a LB and had a cannon for an arm. Not many like him. He played not to lose alot like Luck doesn't either. Nobody can ever say Favre was a wimp that is for sure and he won 3 MVP's and a SB. Todays QB's are more coddled, those are rule changes for ya :facepalm:

• Like 1

Sure doesn't seem like it. I'd take Brady's 10+ yard ball over his and we've all noticed Brady's deep balls regression. The one deep pass Brees tried the week before last was picked. 

A little off topic now but on that note I merely suggested that teams should blitz these older quarterbacks in spite of their histories of burning blitzes. They did that when they had rocket arms and didn't lose control of their bowels when the pocket got 1 degree to hot. The Titans blitzed Brady a few times yesterday and we saw the results. Meanwhile I don't down what teams have to lose because it's not like Brady and Brees aren't scoring as it is.

18 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Drop

You're so bitter and angry. 

I know it's hard to accept that Brady is the undisputed GOAT. They happened to actually lose a game (gasp!) this weekend and he didn't look great, so you're all over this like flies on you-know-what. 

But if it what Brady does is all as easy as you claim, every QB would do it. Since your hero is a turnover machine who lost as many big games as he won, I don't expect you to understand.

50+ more interceptions than the next guy!!! LOL!!!! It's not even close! 

:lol:

PS - You mad, bro? 

• 3 weeks later...